GSP VS Penn

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP VS Penn
GSP4life
10/4/08 12:35:30PM
Who does everyone like in this matchup superbowl weekend? And does anyone else think it is unfair that Penn automatically gets to jump to a title fight without beating anybody in the welterweight division? I mean Fitch had to win like 8 fights in a row before he got a shot at GSP. But I like St. Pierre in Rd 3 or 4, Penn will gas out.
aaa9erh8er
10/4/08 12:37:33PM
im not sure you can count on penns lack of conditioning anymore. but i do think imo gsp has better ground game and i think hell win rd 2 or 3 sub
Aether
10/4/08 2:26:11PM
uhh... GSP has better ground game than BJ?
jawbreaker517
10/4/08 2:37:05PM
If Penn doesn't run out steam, I think he will be the victor. I don't think GSP's hands are as good as BJ's, and I think that Penn's flexibility will be the deciding factor. GSP will get frustrated with BJ's stand-up, and he won't be able to take him down. In the first fight, I honestly think that Penn won. He almost closed both of Pierre's eyes, and Penn looked unscathed. I say Penn UD.
dannyfrank
10/4/08 3:52:49PM
im not really sure who's gonna take this one, but i hope to god that GSP wins
Nitrus
10/4/08 4:01:43PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

im not sure you can count on penns lack of conditioning anymore. but i do think imo gsp has better ground game and i think hell win rd 2 or 3 sub

LOL! GSP may have better wrestling than BJ, but don't have the best ground game. BJ has the edge in this aspect by far.

Posted by jawbreaker517

If Penn doesn't run out steam, I think he will be the victor. I don't think GSP's hands are as good as BJ's, and I think that Penn's flexibility will be the deciding factor. GSP will get frustrated with BJ's stand-up, and he won't be able to take him down. In the first fight, I honestly think that Penn won. He almost closed both of Pierre's eyes, and Penn looked unscathed. I say Penn UD.

Against Fitch, GSP showed an insane gas tank, always pushing the pace, and in this fight will not be different, GSP will push the pace, and BJ will gas, as always..
BJ will not survive for an UD, if BJ want to win, he must win in the early rounds.
The final rounds, will be GSP playground.

Or this fight ends by early Submission in BJ favor, or tko in late rounds even an UD for GSP
chickmagnet
10/4/08 5:01:34PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

Uh..... WOW
mikevolz
10/4/08 7:14:39PM
i watched gsp fitch a couple of times. Im a believer that fitch's standup game is overrated. he landed a lot of shots on gsp in their fight.

now when you look at bj penn, i think he'll use the same strategy he used vs sherk. float inside and out of range and jab. I think bj has really improved his game in that manner, and will be able to avoid takedowns better.

i think if penn is able to do what he did against sherk (keep it standinf for the better part of 3 rounds) then he will win.

if penn goes to the ground early and has to work on the ground, i think he'll gas in the later rounds and gsp will take it (4th or 5th stoppage).

im not saying penns conditioning is bad, i just dont think he has as good natural conditioning as gsp does, and avoiding the ground will allow him to save energy for the later rounds.

id say 60/40 penn/gsp

if penn is heavy underdog im gonna take it.
mkiv9secsupra
10/4/08 8:27:59PM

Posted by aaa9erh8er

but i do think imo gsp has better ground game and i think hell win rd 2 or 3 sub

probably by flying gogoplata or peruvian necktie.....
WrestlersAssassin
10/4/08 8:34:40PM
A guy named gsp for life betting on gsp....no way

History will be made in teh UFC January 31st
GSP4life
10/4/08 9:34:55PM
ya penn did close st pierre's eye and thats because he got a thumb in it, penn did it to hughes in their 2nd fight as well, it will be a great fight though and im looking forward to it
Pookie
10/5/08 3:14:04AM
Penn is insanely tough and theres no way anybody subs him in MMA ever, if he loses its going to be by UD, if he wins its going to be by sub in the first or second.

Im betting on the samoan chin for the win
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/5/08 3:56:16AM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

A guy named gsp for life betting on gsp....no way

History will be made in teh UFC January 31st

believe it or not, i might pick gsp too
jgtribbett
10/5/08 12:50:43PM
ok penn isnt new.. he's been beating top contenders FOREVER. last time gsp ran away imo..
plus, how are you gonna make a champ come up through the ranks like he is brand new..
champs should fight champs or atleaste Number one contenders at the next weight ...

irvin vs silva.... dumb imo
JimiMak
10/5/08 1:04:34PM
I was originally like "oh, another of these threads"

BUT this has been pretty funny. One guy suggests that GSP subs Penn, another says Penn always gasses. You guys should watch some BJ Penn fights.
jocka
10/5/08 1:19:42PM
Why do people continu making this thread everything that had to be said has been said now let's just be patient and wait for the fight.
sonicsmokesweed
10/6/08 11:56:45PM
i like GSP and i like BJ Penn o im going to call it a draw i wanna give the edge to BJ but i like GSP better lol even though they are both wonderful athletes
Amigop
10/7/08 7:39:55PM
Imo i dont think penn will be able to beat GSP. The only way he could win is by sub. and the only way he can get a sub. is if GSP makes a stupid mistake which i doubt will happen. Imo its GSP by dominant UD or Tko in the 4th or 5th

BTW: Penn doenst deserve a title shot by any means
chickmagnet
10/7/08 7:52:33PM
BJ by KO in the first.
JohnnyNapalm
10/8/08 12:34:46AM
Penn is going to sub GSP.

Now, who would like to start the next Penn vs GSP thread that already hasn't?
RhythmAndStyle
10/8/08 12:10:10PM
this is a scary match-up..love Penn no doubt..but man..don't like seein him ar 175..short on the gas tank..would like to see Penn come out on top of this one...