GSP vs Penn 2

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » GSP vs Penn 2
Ultimate_fighter
1/12/08 12:52:58AM
Who wouldn't love this fight, this would be an amazing rematch...

Penn wants him, i bet he gets the title hand right away fights gsp, somewhat like how randy fought iceman.. this would be great!!!

Who do u pick... i say GSP TKO 3rd
ocho-cinco
1/12/08 2:41:26AM

sounds about right. Mabey Georges, outlasts him for the decision. Either way I like St. Pierre against prety much anyone at 170lbs. Penn is a dangerous fight for anyone though.
Underhook
1/12/08 4:33:57AM

Posted by Ultimate_fighter

Who wouldn't love this fight, this would be an amazing rematch...

Penn wants him, i bet he gets the title hand right away fights gsp, somewhat like how randy fought iceman.. this would be great!!!

id give it to Penn, i think he won the first fight by SD (that fight is in my top 5 UFC fights ever) but would be a great rematch if BJ wants 2 belts after beating sherk
jomatty
1/12/08 4:35:32AM
did something happen that will make penn available to fight anywhere but lw for the foreseeable future? if he wins vs joe he then has to fight sherk and if he wins he is the lw champ so this is a good bit away from happening.

i do think penn is gsp's toughest fight though and although i would favor gsp it could go either way.
ohiostate1016
1/12/08 9:44:53AM
I would love to see this fight again, but Penn isn't as good at 70 as he is at 55. I think that he walks around at about 75 for a 170 fight, so that gives him a reason to slack off during training. 5 pounds to cut is nothing for a pro fighter. But for a fight at 155, he's most likely trying to stay around 170 or so, that way he won't have to cut very much.

I think that GSP would somehow find a way to stop Penn, but it would be late in the fight (3rd or 5th round, depending on whether it was a title fight or not). Still, however, I'd like to see this fight.
NatedawgThaM
1/12/08 9:46:54AM
GSP TKO in the 2nd.

GSP is way too good overall. I think he is better in every aspect of MMA besides BJJ. I think a focused GSP will crush him. BJ Penn is overrated. His big wins are back in the one dimensional era. He's 1-2 in his last 3 fights and his only win was too a one dimensional Jens Pulver at the time...
Boo_Radley21
1/12/08 11:52:13AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP TKO in the 2nd.

GSP is way too good overall. I think he is better in every aspect of MMA besides BJJ. I think a focused GSP will crush him.

GSP is too good right now and I don't think Penn would be able to win that match.
chickmagnet
1/12/08 12:47:27PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP TKO in the 2nd.

GSP is way too good overall. I think he is better in every aspect of MMA besides BJJ. I think a focused GSP will crush him. BJ Penn is overrated. His big wins are back in the one dimensional era. He's 1-2 in his last 3 fights and his only win was too a one dimensional Jens Pulver at the time...

BJ picked GSP apart on the feet in the first fight, GSP only won that fight due to takedowns and control, BJ punches way harder than St. Pierre, also BJ was dominating the 2nd fight with Hughes until he got injured, there is no doubt BJ would kill Hughes in a rubber match, also whats with "His big wins are in the one dimensional era"? BJ didn't win all his fights during "one dimensional era"
those wins were like Din Thomas(who bj would destroy again) and Caol Uno. BJ is overrated? I guess wins over Takanori Gomi, Duane Ludwig, Renzo Gracie(at a higher weightclass), Matt Hughes and an honorable razor thin desision loss to GSP makes a person overrated. Not to mention he went 3 rounds for a close desision with Lyoto Machida at Heavyweight.
nickcuc547
1/12/08 1:03:17PM
i gotta go with gsp, but it would be a great fight. penn vs. gsp one proved nothing as to who was the better fighter. georges took much more damage but won two rounds, (the second narrowly and it could have gone either way. if bj comes into this fight in tip top shape this could be a war, but i think gsp would outlast him for a ud.
NatedawgThaM
1/12/08 1:23:32PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP TKO in the 2nd.

BJ picked GSP apart on the feet in the first fight, GSP only won that fight due to takedowns and control, BJ punches way harder than St. Pierre, also BJ was dominating the 2nd fight with Hughes until he got injured, there is no doubt BJ would kill Hughes in a rubber match, also whats with "His big wins are in the one dimensional era"? BJ didn't win all his fights during "one dimensional era"
those wins were like Din Thomas(who bj would destroy again) and Caol Uno. BJ is overrated? I guess wins over Takanori Gomi, Duane Ludwig, Renzo Gracie(at a higher weightclass), Matt Hughes and an honorable razor thin desision loss to GSP makes a person overrated. Not to mention he went 3 rounds for a close desision with Lyoto Machida at Heavyweight.

Those wins were around the UFC 20's or 30's. Fighters aren't as good then as they are now. Everybody's all around now. He has bad conditioning and needs to be motivated to actually win a fight which is why I think Joe will take him out brutally. BJ is looking past him towards GSP and Sherk. Joe's going to stomp him for looking past him. BJ also should shut his mouth call everybody names. He's a huge hypocrite. He wants to talk about the "natural" title, but when Joe goes to get Hermes Franca to train with him, BJ calls Hermes up first.
CactusBob
1/12/08 6:34:00PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i gotta go with gsp, but it would be a great fight. penn vs. gsp one proved nothing as to who was the better fighter. georges took much more damage but won two rounds, (the second narrowly and it could have gone either way. if bj comes into this fight in tip top shape this could be a war, but i think gsp would outlast him for a ud.

I understand what it is you are saying, but I have to disagree about Penn vs GSP not proving anything. In fact it proved that GSP was the better fighter that night, that GSP is tougher mentally than critics predicted, and that Penn's work ethic cost him big once again.

As for a second fight, I think GSP would take a solid decision. I cannot fathom Penn being finished in a fight, but GSP would have the best chance out of anyone today that Penn could match up with.
StevieC
1/12/08 8:05:01PM
Would be a good fight but GSP is a lot better then when they fought last time...and honestly I think Penn is worse....
Underhook
1/12/08 8:29:08PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP TKO in the 2nd.

i cant figure out why BJ fough Ryoto who is a LHW, thats not a smart move even if he won that fight, and people saying BJ dosnt deserve #1 status, well he beat gomi whos on alot of peoples #1 list i think thats speaks for itself, and

he beat hughes who is way better than sherk and everybody thinks sherks gonna destroy BJ, how with roid rage and lay and pray, BJ can avoid being taken down with that freakish flexibility and TD, i always hear people saying hes overrated however hes far underrated
backalley101
1/12/08 9:50:27PM
GSP vs Penn will be a great rematch indeed. The only way I see Penn ever beating GSP is with a submission early on. 'Cause we all know that BJ's stamina is suspect. GSP got everything together, I believe.No one can beat GSP at this time. And I mean no one. So BJ better come in shape and lay off the Hawaiian BBQ.
Rush
1/13/08 12:01:18AM
The only way Penn will win the rematch is if he pokes GSP in the eye again. Otherwise, total destruction by GSP.
Bemin
1/13/08 12:08:09AM
I would love to see this fight and I think GSP would dominate him. But as others have said, Penn needs to focus on Joe right now. He seems to be talking about everyone but Joe, not a good sign at all. I still have Penn picked to win this one, but I am seriously having doubts now that Penn is not taking this fight seriously and will come in out of shape and gas quickly. Getting close to changing my pick.
Pitbull09
1/13/08 12:09:27AM
GSP is the best at that weight, Penn is better at lightweight. GSP takes this. Penn wont be able to take GSP down and Pierre could just win standing. Nothing against Penn but only two have beat him in his career and he avenged the one twice (Hughes) and will egt his chance at the other soon (Serra)
backalley101
1/14/08 3:51:15PM
BJ Penn is good, but so is Joe. I actually believe that Joe is going to win this one. So, BJ better not worry about GSP, and worry about Joe right now.
sillysnail
1/14/08 4:29:42PM
how is he looking past joe?? i havent seen bj mention gsp in any of his interviews recently. the only reason why you see mentions of sherk is because people are always asking about it. after all, that was his original opponent and there's a little bit of bad blood there. i really sense that bj has a completely new attitude and ethic. placing that into his physical prowess could bring about an even more dominant penn than ever.

as far as a rematch with gsp, i think they both are recovering from some setbacks. gsp looks to be back and stronger than ever. we'll find out really soon if the same is true for penn. if bj does what i think he'll do and beats stevenson and sherk, then i think a rematch with gsp would be an EXTREMELY close fight.
LayinFrame
1/14/08 5:07:33PM

Posted by Rush

The only way Penn will win the rematch is if he pokes GSP in the eye again. Otherwise, total destruction by GSP.

I totally agree, GSP is on top of his game right now. the prodigy would actually have to train for a real fight, if he would have a chance against him at this point in time.
Ultimate_fighter
1/16/08 1:25:45AM

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by NatedawgThaM

GSP TKO in the 2nd.

GSP is way too good overall. I think he is better in every aspect of MMA besides BJJ. I think a focused GSP will crush him.

GSP is too good right now and I don't think Penn would be able to win that match.

Yeah we also thought that GSP would run through serra,,, and that he was unstoppable, Serra got a first round KO!!! I think GSP even tapped..
Taylor8766
1/17/08 1:03:06PM
GSP would destroy BJ, now that he's lost to Serra he is unstoppable, and he will win the WW title, against Serra.
The8One5
1/17/08 5:24:36PM
well i think bj won the first fight so i cant say gsp would dominate like all of you are saying, bj was winning the standup which many of you think gsp is dominate over bj at. i dont think this fight would happen but i wouldnt say bj dosnt have a chance if serra can ko gsp, know what i mean eh?
KeNn
1/17/08 5:40:38PM
GSP is the man, But Penn is so WELL rounded.

I think GSP will win, but Penn is a good opponent
gamez0932
1/18/08 11:46:22AM
after seeing gsp out wrestle, frank trigg, sean sherk, matt hughes, and josh koscheck... i think his skills are so superrior that he'd beat penn again. not saying penn doesnt have a chance, he always has a chance wether its trading lether or on his back....but st. pierre is just to well rounded and id see him trading for a little and then getting the take down and doing some ground n pound to get the stoppage. just my opinion.