GSP: New Contract

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP: New Contract
zephead
1/29/07 6:21:19PM

CP) - Canadian mixed martial arts champion Georges St. Pierre has signed a new six-fight deal that will make him one of the top-five earners in the UFC, his manager confirmed Sunday.

While the UFC only has five champions, it boasts some high-priced talent without a title in the shape of heavyweights Mirko (Cro Cop) Filipovic and Randy (The Natural) Couture, light-heavyweight Tito (Huntington Beach Bad Boy) Ortiz and former welterweight champion Matt Hughes.

Link

dcox86
1/29/07 6:38:23PM
good to see ufc locking up solid talent
Stickan
1/29/07 6:52:43PM
GSP will be a star for many years to come if he doesn't get seriously injured.
And now the star has looaads of contenders to beat in what is (IMO) the most stacked division in the UFC.

Looking forward to his future title defences (minus vs Serra).
hippysmacker
1/29/07 7:25:07PM
He definately deserves it. He's a great, exciting fighter, who seems to be a good guy. I'm sure he'll probably be geting a cut of the PPV revenue now too.
NutBar
1/29/07 8:11:06PM
I love GSP's humility and well-rounded game. Hopefully he can stay healthy and injury free for many years to come
Infused
1/29/07 8:29:35PM

Posted by hippysmacker

He definately deserves it. He's a great, exciting fighter, who seems to be a good guy. I'm sure he'll probably be geting a cut of the PPV revenue now too.

I hope he does, that dude never has a boring fight. He deserves it all the way.
Reignofterror
1/29/07 9:23:17PM
Georges St Pierre for prime minister!!
slammadowg
1/29/07 11:25:09PM
This was a great move by the UFC for 2 reasons

1)He probably is or is close to being the most talented fighter in the ufc and it would be terrible for them to lose GSP to another Org. Especially Pride.

2)It was a good idea to give him the six fight deal because hes not gonna lose that belt for a while IMO and by making him sign a contract now, they avoid a potentially greedy GSP demanding more and more money for each fight. (Although i seriously sont see GSP being the greedy type)
Svartorm
1/30/07 12:44:59AM
The only big question mark for him is the injury issues. For a young, athletic guy, he really shouldn't be getting hurt as much as he does.
strikefirstgear
1/30/07 1:57:54AM

Posted by Svartorm

The only big question mark for him is the injury issues. For a young, athletic guy, he really shouldn't be getting hurt as much as he does.

Being the nice guy that he is it seems that he puts himself out for others too much and he also has had an issue with overtraining. He said before this last fight that he had to curb his enthusiasm and tone down the training so stay healthy.

Then he gets hurt helping Jardine prepare for his fight with Forrest. Some hard knocks will teach him to be more careful I hope. I would like to see him fight at this level for a long time.

BloodandTears
1/30/07 12:23:47PM

Posted by Stickan

GSP will be a star for many years to come if he doesn't get seriously injured.
And now the star has looaads of contenders to beat in what is (IMO) the most stacked division in the UFC.

Looking forward to his future title defences (minus vs Serra).

Best post on this discussion! I can add nor take away anything from what stickan has said.
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/30/07 8:44:35PM
Do you guys think American fans will embrace GSP like they did Matt Hughes.

ILike when GSP Fought Hughes and his entrance music was french rap everyone was booing like crazy.

IMO for the most part harccore fans who know the deal will embrace GSP, but random dudes who still think Tito Ortiz is the LHW champion will not accept GSP.

your thoughts
lloydrage
1/31/07 9:00:34AM
yes! Vey happy to hear this. GSP is the man and I am glad to see him stick in the UFC for years to come.
amik
1/31/07 10:59:16AM
Long life to GSP.
Stickan
1/31/07 11:51:30AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

ILike when GSP Fought Hughes and his entrance music was french rap everyone was booing like crazy.

IMO for the most part harccore fans who know the deal will embrace GSP, but random dudes who still think Tito Ortiz is the LHW champion will not accept GSP.

your thoughts

What random dudes think that Tito Ortiz is the LHW champion?

I think GSP will get more popular than Hughes has ever been due to his personality, looks and the way he fights.
OchoCinco
1/31/07 8:11:24PM
GSP is a top 5 fighter in my opinion it's good to see the UFC locked him up.
madmarck
2/5/07 2:51:32PM

Posted by Reignofterror

Georges St Pierre for prime minister!!

Hahha sure. The Cro Cop of Canada. He is definitly Smart enoguh.
Its good to hear of GSP gettin mroe moeny. I tihnk he got 48K aganist Penn so i guess the contract he was on before this one was one that increased.
I wish i knew how much money he made from the UFC.

Just so you guys know i heard a Rumour Back a long time ago that In 2005 GSP made 1 Mil Combine. I guess he made a lot of money from sponsors.
allevil86
2/5/07 2:58:57PM

Posted by strikefirstgear

Being the nice guy that he is it seems that he puts himself out for others too much and he also has had an issue with overtraining. He said before this last fight that he had to curb his enthusiasm and tone down the training so stay healthy.

Then he gets hurt helping Jardine prepare for his fight with Forrest. Some hard knocks will teach him to be more careful I hope. I would like to see him fight at this level for a long time.

The way is trains is part of the reason why he is so dominate.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/6/07 8:56:19PM
we all love GSP i see.....he is quite a character...

and when you put evryting togedder...he is a great champ!(lol)

and i hope he does keep the title in nort american territory!....thank you very much!

gotta love the guy...very skilled and always pushes the action and loves to please the crowd

one of my favorite movies is Bloodsport...and he is the closest to being a real life Jean Claude Van Damme (frank dux) Fights..looks..and kinda talks like him too
jmoooooo
2/6/07 11:02:44PM
except i think GSP would take frank dux.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/6/07 11:41:37PM

Posted by jmoooooo

except i think GSP would take frank dux.

pfft..send me a Wager!..lol
Sagat_GSP12
2/7/07 12:10:31AM
Now there's a title fight! Quick somebody get Dana White on the phone.
scoozna
2/7/07 11:39:39AM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

your thoughts

There's always going to be boos...but the cheers should soon block out the boos. His exciting style will win over all but the biggest idiots.
madmarck
2/7/07 1:25:51PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

your thoughts

Thats there problem. If people don't like GSP screw em. Canada kicks ass.
So does GSP. If they dont like French Rap thats their problem. But dont Boo it. French Rap is pretty big in Quebec and its not bad. Booing that is booing GSP and his culture and background. It would be like a American Fighter fighting in Toronto and coming out to Star Spangled Banner and Canadian fans booing. But this wouldnt happen. American Fans boo what ever they dont like in the least.