GSP as MID or LHW Champ?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP as MID or LHW Champ?
ecnal15
2/10/07 11:47:08PM
Check out this interview with GSP, about third story down the page

http://ufcjunkie.com/page/3/

If you don't want to listen basically GSP says that his goal is to beat everyone in WW and then move up to MIDDLE and even LHW! So what do you think his chances are of beating Silva/MID contenders or Liddell/LHW contenders

Personally I think he would be great as a middleweight, even champion. He walks around at 185 and it wouldn't be hard for him to gain more muscle if he changed his training to incorporate muscle strength. However I don't see him as a LHW, that's just too much muscle weight he'd have to gain to be a competitor, plus bulking up that much would slow him down, and his quickness is one of his main strengths.

What does everyone else think?
mjheadkicker
2/11/07 3:45:30AM
the only thing i would like to see more than GSP knock out Hughes again, Would be seeing him knock out Franklin (a little revenge for Loiseau, who hasn't been the same) and i think he would be comfortable at MW.
nate22
2/11/07 7:47:15AM
It would be funny if he moved up in weight and then lost to BJ at LHW. Seriously though, will believe it when I see it and would need to see him fight anybody at MW or LHW to see how he looks and his performance at that weight before judging if he could take on the elite.
hippysmacker
2/11/07 8:10:24AM
I think he's getting BJ syndrome( too big for his britches, wanting to fight everybody at higher weight's without proving he can hold the one he just got) . If GSP defends his belt aginst all comers 5 or 6 times, I can see him moving up and being one of the top 185 lb. guys. But his reach and power would be lacking at 205 IMO and I think he would have trouble cracking the top 10 at that weight.
shawneth
2/11/07 12:26:40PM
I dont think he'll ever go to LHW. Middleweight I could see. I think we would do very well ate Middleweight and could give Anderson Silva a run for his money. But I think he'll stop there when realises how ridiculously insane it would be for him to go up to LHW.
BabbyHughes
2/11/07 1:13:29PM
He would do great as a middle weight. I could see him jumping into title contention easily, but I think Rich and Anderson would be tough fights for him. He should stay at 170pounds and try to beat Hughes' record of title defenses and then move up to 185.

At 205, I dont think he will be able to do as much damage. He's relatively short for 205, and would have to put on quite a bit of weight to be able to contend with Evans, LIddell, Rampage, Forrest and even Jardine.
Playground_Samurai
2/11/07 4:20:32PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think he's getting BJ syndrome( too big for his britches, wanting to fight everybody at higher weight's without proving he can hold the one he just got) . If GSP defends his belt aginst all comers 5 or 6 times, I can see him moving up and being one of the top 185 lb. guys. But his reach and power would be lacking at 205 IMO and I think he would have trouble cracking the top 10 at that weight.

In the interview, what he pretty much said is that after he beat all the contenders in the WW division and there was nobody left, he wanted to move up to MW. Granted, there's thousands of WW fighters out there, but we should all understand what he means. I haven't listened to the interview in a couple days, but I think he said in two years. So we don't have to expect him to move up until he's more than proved himself in the WW division. He also said that he was doing it to challenge himself. I think that's different from BJ in the aspect that BJ just wants to show everybody else what he can do, where as GSP wants to show himself what he can do. IMO, this is a very good idea for him. He is already probably the #1 WW in the world and he can only get better. Might as well keep moving up.
jocksmall
2/11/07 5:38:38PM
gsp still has alot to prove at ww before thinking about mw where the competion is much stronger and lhw is a joke. could you see wandy vs gsp wow that would be a murder an axe murder!
tepid55
2/11/07 7:01:29PM
I think he'd do very well in the middleweight division.
Sinical
2/11/07 9:25:24PM
GSP wouldnt make 205

maybe like 195 but thats what he walks around at so it wouldnt be good fight time
hippysmacker
2/12/07 2:25:49AM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by hippysmacker

In the interview, what he pretty much said is that after he beat all the contenders in the WW division and there was nobody left, he wanted to move up to MW. Granted, there's thousands of WW fighters out there, but we should all understand what he means. I haven't listened to the interview in a couple days, but I think he said in two years. So we don't have to expect him to move up until he's more than proved himself in the WW division. He also said that he was doing it to challenge himself. I think that's different from BJ in the aspect that BJ just wants to show everybody else what he can do, where as GSP wants to show himself what he can do. IMO, this is a very good idea for him. He is already probably the #1 WW in the world and he can only get better. Might as well keep moving up.

I admit I didn't listen to the interview, just took the guys synopsis from the top. I don't think he's as crazy as BJ, but still think he shouldn't even be thinking of anything but defending his belt. Glad to hear he plans on it, 2 years is long time. A lot can happen in that time.
pv3Hpv3p
2/12/07 1:16:04PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by hippysmacker

I think he's getting BJ syndrome( too big for his britches, wanting to fight everybody at higher weight's without proving he can hold the one he just got) .

He also said that he was doing it to challenge himself. I think that's different from BJ in the aspect that BJ just wants to show everybody else what he can do, where as GSP wants to show himself what he can do. IMO, this is a very good idea for him. He is already probably the #1 WW in the world and he can only get better. Might as well keep moving up.

Very well put when you were talking about BJ and GSP....

with taht being said:

Middleweight

Light Heavy
strikefirstgear
2/12/07 1:55:25PM
I think he has his hands full for a while. WW is a busy class for now.

If he does stomp all the opposition then by all means move up to MW but I think the UFC will keep his dance card full for a while to come. I cant see him fighting at 205 but I have been surprised before.

Hughes, Sanchez, Penn 2, KOS and whoever surfaces in the future.
hippysmacker
2/12/07 2:25:45PM
I'd throw Fitch in there too, and possibly even Burkman.
madmarck
2/12/07 2:54:29PM
GSP could definitly be a Top MW in no time. Like he said he could adjust his program to bulk up. Imagine a bigger stronger GSP. Scary. I think him going to LHW is far off in the future. But if he goes 5-0 at WW and gets bored of destroying everyone i think we may see him go up to MW for better competition.
JunCTion
2/13/07 2:55:36AM

Posted by ecnal15

Check out this interview with GSP, about third story down the page

http://ufcjunkie.com/page/3/

If you don't want to listen basically GSP says that his goal is to beat everyone in WW and then move up to MIDDLE and even LHW! So what do you think his chances are of beating Silva/MID contenders or Liddell/LHW contenders

Personally I think he would be great as a middleweight, even champion. He walks around at 185 and it wouldn't be hard for him to gain more muscle if he changed his training to incorporate muscle strength. However I don't see him as a LHW, that's just too much muscle weight he'd have to gain to be a competitor, plus bulking up that much would slow him down, and his quickness is one of his main strengths.

What does everyone else think?

agree in full