MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP vs. Kos thread
Next Page »
POLL: Who wins??
GSP 80% (44)
Kos 11% (6)
The fans? 9% (5)
JBatch
5/13/07 3:07:08PM
This is just another incredibly difficult fight for GSP. He has faced nothing but top competition since he entered the UFC and right now Kos is considered to be at his level.

But just like Leben vs. Silva I think we see the difference between Kos vs. B/B+ level fighters and then taking the jump to face a A level fighter. I think GSP and Kos are amazing athletes but GSP has faced better comp. and been in big fights whereas Kos has been in 1 headliner which was a snoozefest and faced a tough guy in Joslin which ended up a snoozefest as well.

GSP should take this in the 2nd round by a vicious GNP barrage.
Gladiator
5/13/07 3:23:43PM
i agree that GSP will win but not by GnP, i see a knockout with a head kick or a series of punches. unlikely that gsp will get mount and pound koscheck out (not impossible but just very unlikely IMO). i think people are seriously underestimating koscheck, when are people going to get off his back about the "boring decision win" and "not finishing overrated diego sanchez?!?" it wasnt koscheck's fault that diego wasnt engaging fast like he usually does. koscheck was basing his gameplan on countering diego and diego didnt attack, he controlled the center of the ring and diego just let him have it. koscheck has had some good gameplans for fighting his last few opponents and regardless of how exciting they are they did get the win. im not saying i want koscheck to win or that i think he will but i wont be surprised if he can take gsp down and either hold him there or pull off the decision with # of takedowns.
kerazzle
5/13/07 3:29:47PM
I agree, I think GSP will take this if he ist gunshy. After losing to Hughes GSP mauled the entire WW division. I think he will do this again.
xchickox
5/13/07 4:23:39PM
i think GSP will dominate this fight, for me he is still the best welterweight in the world even after getting beaten by serra, i think first round will be a caution one where koscheck will get caught a few times in a stand up battle and may take GSP down a few times but wont do anything while he's got him down, then second round GSP will come out less cautious and catch him with either a big right hand or a kick to the head and get the TKO
russ_95670
5/13/07 5:08:19PM
Kos will prob take this one near end of first, gsp will not be able to keep it standing up and gsp will lose on the ground. Honestly i dont see how this guy is still ranked in the top ten.
Northrend
5/13/07 5:13:43PM

Posted by russ_95670

Kos will prob take this one near end of first, gsp will not be able to keep it standing up and gsp will lose on the ground. Honestly i dont see how this guy is still ranked in the top ten.

What?! You dont see how GSP is ranked top 10? The same guy that destroyed Trigg, Sherk, Hughes, Miller, Parysian and beat BJ Penn (not destroyed though)

I see GSP out grappling Kos and beating him down just like the Sherk or Trigg fight.
Playground_Samurai
5/13/07 6:57:44PM

Posted by russ_95670

Honestly i dont see how this guy is still ranked in the top ten.

Is that sarcasm? If not, do you watch mma much?

Anywho, the Kos/Diego fight was one of the most dissapointing i've ever seen. With the intensity they brought into the weigh-ins and all the smack they talked back and forth, I expected so much more. They both went in there not to win, but to not lose. IMO, Kos proved nothing with the victory. I believe both Kos and Diego are capable of so much more.

That being said, Kos has never been in the cage with someone the on the same level as GSP. Regardless of GSP's last performance, the general concensus is that he is still the #1 WW in the world. He has proven himself many times before.

And don't forget that GSP is a huge WW. He is just as strong or stronger than Kos, so I don't believe his ley and prey tactics will get him by this time. If Kos is able to get a takedown with GSP's great sprawl, GSP could probably work his way up in a reasonable amount of time. And despite being ko'd by Serra, and Kos striking improving, I think it's safe to say GSP has better stand up.

If GSP has one flaw, i think it's that he tends to panic when he gets caught. In his first fight with Hughes, he tapped out instantly. If he could have waited one second, the fight would have continued. ONE second. But he panicked. Then when he got caught by Serra and was on his back, his arms were just flayling around. I realize he was stunned, but some people are able to maintain their composure a little better in that situation.

I'm picking GSP via GNP in the 2nd round. I think it may turn out a lot like the GSP/Sherk fight.
kerazzle
5/13/07 7:23:33PM

Posted by gspfan

Posted by russ_95670

Honestly i dont see how this guy is still ranked in the top ten.

Is that sarcasm? If not, do you watch mma much?

Anywho, the Kos/Diego fight was one of the most dissapointing i've ever seen. With the intensity they brought into the weigh-ins and all the smack they talked back and forth, I expected so much more. They both went in there not to win, but to not lose. IMO, Kos proved nothing with the victory. I believe both Kos and Diego are capable of so much more.

That being said, Kos has never been in the cage with someone the on the same level as GSP. Regardless of GSP's last performance, the general concensus is that he is still the #1 WW in the world. He has proven himself many times before.

And don't forget that GSP is a huge WW. He is just as strong or stronger than Kos, so I don't believe his ley and prey tactics will get him by this time. If Kos is able to get a takedown with GSP's great sprawl, GSP could probably work his way up in a reasonable amount of time. And despite being ko'd by Serra, and Kos striking improving, I think it's safe to say GSP has better stand up.

If GSP has one flaw, i think it's that he tends to panic when he gets caught. In his first fight with Hughes, he tapped out instantly. If he could have waited one second, the fight would have continued. ONE second. But he panicked. Then when he got caught by Serra and was on his back, his arms were just flayling around. I realize he was stunned, but some people are able to maintain their composure a little better in that situation.

I'm picking GSP via GNP in the 2nd round. I think it may turn out a lot like the GSP/Sherk fight.

you're right. GSP still suffers from some inexperience. If he tried to remain calm and clinch up with Serra rather than panick and flail about, we could have seen something similiar to Fedor vs Fujita. In any case I dont see Koschecks overrated striking being much of a problem and GSP has enough wrestling ability to deal with that area. Koscheck has never fought someone with GSP's athleticism.
Ultimate_fighter
5/13/07 7:30:41PM
gsp will take it, decision or 3rd ko
Nacho
5/13/07 7:43:13PM
Ok... I'll bite. Are these two fighting in an upcoming match, or are we just talking about when it does actually happen?

Nevermind... found it in the news forum.

http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic4971-1.html

I really hope GSP brings his A game. Koscheck is going to be a tough opponent. I am not ready to favor Koscheck though. GSP is a lot more evolved as a fighter. Koscheck definitely has the takedown and wrestling advantage.
argile
5/13/07 9:13:34PM
i doubt Kos has the punching power that Matt Serra had to knock out GSP. However i do think that GSP is going to improve and come back stronger then ever
and give Kos a tough fight, I do feel in favor of GSP.
MMA
5/13/07 9:45:45PM
St. Pierre should fight Koscheck like how he fought Trigg's. That's all I have to say.
russ_95670
5/14/07 1:21:18AM
why did my 2nd post get erased. i guess if not everyone agrees with the mods you pay the price.
Stickan
5/14/07 4:30:58AM
I think Kos wins. Probably by decision.
Believe-in-judo81
5/14/07 7:21:19AM
This is GSP's Fight to lose IMO. He has the takedown defense, striking ability and strength in the clinch to keep this fight on the feet and impose his will for a dominant win. But Josh Koshcheck is no joke and if GSP doesn't take him seriously or comes out gunshy and gives him time to work his game, he could have a hard night ahead with his work cut out for him to come back and take it.
AchillesHeel
5/14/07 10:43:52AM
I'm on the GSP wagon (surprise!).

Koscheck doesn't have the standup or the submissions to hang with the big boys, and doesn't have a dramatic edge in wrestling over St. Pierre. Koscheck has a non-zero chance to win this fight.
ParchamentoSpartan
5/14/07 12:02:13PM
Look at the moderators pic. That says it all. I bet he bashes better fighters then GSP.
cowcatcher
5/14/07 1:21:40PM
i dont like kos's attitude at times, but the guys seems to have come a long way and i think he could surprise people here:

1)his striking looked much crisper than it has before against diego
2)who knows where gsp's head is at now, a loss to a huge underdog can kill a career

i believe gsp is a better fighter, bus kos is growing in leaps and bounds, and although kos's chin is suspect at best, im not sure gsp will be aggresive enough before the fight hits the ground. i think gsp will win, but i had to play devils advocate here because i dont think its a sure thing....nothing is anymore in mma
Canadian_MM_EH
5/16/07 2:24:53AM
GSP for P.M...
JBatch
5/16/07 10:48:32AM

Posted by cowcatcher

i dont like kos's attitude at times, but the guys seems to have come a long way and i think he could surprise people here:

1)his striking looked much crisper than it has before against diego
2)who knows where gsp's head is at now, a loss to a huge underdog can kill a career

i believe gsp is a better fighter, bus kos is growing in leaps and bounds, and although kos's chin is suspect at best, im not sure gsp will be aggresive enough before the fight hits the ground. i think gsp will win, but i had to play devils advocate here because i dont think its a sure thing....nothing is anymore in mma

No doubt Kos is improving quicker than almost anybody else in the UFC. Yet he seems to revert to his wrestling when a fight gets even a little hairy. I just don't know if his wrestling/ cardio is on such a hhigh level that GSP can't hang with him.
A breakdown from me goes a little like this:
Striking: GSP A- / KOS B
Subs: GSP B / KOS B-
Wrestling: GSP B+ / KOS A
Cardio: GSP A+ / KOS A-

Overall: GSP A / Kos B+ lol first time I did one of those and I am admittedly not that good. New respect for mma columnists.
AchillesHeel
5/16/07 12:33:19PM

Posted by JBatch

A breakdown from me goes a little like this:
Striking: GSP A- / KOS B
Subs: GSP B / KOS B-
Wrestling: GSP B+ / KOS A
Cardio: GSP A+ / KOS A-

Overall: GSP A / Kos B+ lol first time I did one of those and I am admittedly not that good. New respect for mma columnists.

Looks good to me.
kaduey
5/24/07 2:46:24PM
I don't understand why everyone thinks Kos has improved so much in mma. He looks like the same fiighter as the Drew Fickett fight. Is he so much better becasue he rocked Goulet? Did you see his fight against Jeff Joslin, no stand up, and don't forget Diego can't strike all that well either. Kos is an amazing wrestler and nothing more.
Stickan
5/24/07 3:07:25PM
Wow, looks like I'll get pretty decent odds on this one. GSP is mentally a wreck at the moment. Kos will win a tough fight.
pv3Hpv3p
5/24/07 3:18:11PM
Kos has great TD's, that's a fact, but if ya'all remember the 1 TD he had at the end of the first against Diego he was swept almost instantly...

Even with his explosive TD's, maybe the best in MMA, I don't think he can hold Georges on his back. They are both monsters at 170, so I don't think there will be a big strength advantage either way... I can see Georges take this fight like he did the 2nd fight against Hughes...

The only way I see Koscheck winning this fight is by smothering St. Pierre on the ground and trying to ride out a LnP victory.
Stickan
5/24/07 3:44:42PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Kos has great TD's, that's a fact, but if ya'all remember the 1 TD he had at the end of the first against Diego he was swept almost instantly...

Even with his explosive TD's, maybe the best in MMA, I don't think he can hold Georges on his back. They are both monsters at 170, so I don't think there will be a big strength advantage either way... I can see Georges take this fight like he did the 2nd fight against Hughes...

The only way I see Koscheck winning this fight is by smothering St. Pierre on the ground and trying to ride out a LnP victory.

The only way I see Kos losing is GSP keeping a mad pace and Kos eventially gassing and getting subbed.
pv3Hpv3p
5/24/07 4:55:17PM

Posted by Stickan

The only way I see Kos losing is GSP keeping a mad pace and Kos eventially gassing and getting subbed.

I think cardio is probably one of Kos's strongest assets...

You honestly can't imagine GSP winning the standup between the two? Or subbing him? Although he is young, St. Pierre has a wealth of MMA experience and knowledge, more so than Josh...

Like I said, I think it'll be a good fight, but I don't think that Kos can bring anything to the cage to stop Georges besides his dominating wrestling / TDs... It's all just opinion, but I don't see him pounding GSP out, and I don't think he's got it in him to sub him...

It will all depend if Georges engages in the standup at all... If you look at Kos's Joslin fight, he couldn't cut it standing with him so he reverted to his bread and butter (no shame in that)...
hughesfan1
5/25/07 12:03:29AM
Rush , any way he wants to. No doubt Kos wont be able to make a boring fight out of this one . GSP wont allow it , it's not his style.
Gladiator
5/25/07 12:20:04AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Stickan

I think cardio is probably one of Kos's strongest assets...

You honestly can't imagine GSP winning the standup between the two? Or subbing him? Although he is young, St. Pierre has a wealth of MMA experience and knowledge, more so than Josh...

Like I said, I think it'll be a good fight, but I don't think that Kos can bring anything to the cage to stop Georges besides his dominating wrestling / TDs... It's all just opinion, but I don't see him pounding GSP out, and I don't think he's got it in him to sub him...

It will all depend if Georges engages in the standup at all... If you look at Kos's Joslin fight, he couldn't cut it standing with him so he reverted to his bread and butter (no shame in that)...

it seems like the only arguments people are making here for GSP are when they are comparing this fight to one of his early ones. Koscheck is not hughes, sherk, or trigg and GSP is not joslin, diego, or fickett and while i see ur guy's points about the similarities i dont think u are taking into consideration the styles. GSP generally takes the fight to the ground if his opponent doesnt have good jiu-jitsu and i think we all know that koscheck likes the fight to be on the ground so that is most likely where the fight will take place. GSP definitely has a standup advantage but koscheck has never been knocked out. i voted for gsp too but i cant see how anyone could state that they cant see koscheck winning unless it's by lay'n'pray, IMO this fight will be about the ground game and not about what round gsp will knock koscheck out (if he decides to stand with him at all)
Meg
5/25/07 12:48:08AM
I can see Kos winning if he doesn't do that lame dance he did with Diego at UFC 69. I guess the same can be said about GSP and Serra, actually, minus the "lame dance" part. It's a toss up but all around I figure Georges has the upper hand. Whether or not he wants to show up this time is entirely up in the air.
jocksmall
5/25/07 12:56:18AM
i picked gsp because i hope he wins kos is boring , talented but boring so i hope he loses or gets a style that doesnt depend on a judge
Pages: [1] 2