GSP 'Jon Fitch is the best overall fighter so far' (video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP 'Jon Fitch is the best overall fighter so far' (video)
MMAcca
6/12/08 1:38:09AM
GSP talks about Fitch being the best all-round opponent he's been matched up with

LINK
gartface
6/12/08 3:51:35AM
BJ Penn anyone?
Gipper
6/12/08 4:42:47AM
penn and fitch
89vision
6/12/08 5:28:48AM
i know hes not trying to underestimate fitch but cmon, best overall fighter so far? BJ Penn is miles above Fitch and is one of few who can give GSP a real good fight if not beat him, I believe Penn would win the rematch and Alves is going to wear the belt, ya heard
joshjr
6/12/08 7:31:23AM
I agree with GSP. Fitch is a very good opponet for him to. BJ is awsome I dont doubt that but he has a history of coming in without trainging that hard and his cardio not being that great. Fitch brings it everytime. I can not wait to see this one. One thing about GSP he seems to manhandle wrestlers easily. Just ask Koscheck.
Focker101
6/12/08 7:40:51AM

Posted by 89vision

i know hes not trying to underestimate fitch but cmon, best overall fighter so far? BJ Penn is miles above Fitch and is one of few who can give GSP a real good fight if not beat him, I believe Penn would win the rematch and Alves is going to wear the belt, ya heard

yeah I would actually like to see Fitch vs Bj as well another great fight I think Bj would take it
but what Bj is missing to be a the best overall fighter is the wrestling Fitch has all three wrestling, striking, submissions just like GSP so I would agree with GSP
the best overall fighter so far

also Alves has to make weight to win the belt
not that he could stop GSP's takedowns anyways
jiujitsufreak74
6/12/08 9:37:10AM
well BJ is imo the obvious choice for the GSP's best overall opponent. in 2nd i would say is Frank Trigg. i don't think Fitch is as well-rounded as people make him out to be and Trigg has dangerous stand up and a dangerous ground game. he has ways to win no matter where the fights end up and i can't say the same for Fitch. i think his stand up is still developing and that his JJ, while getting better, is still in its early stages. his best weapon is obviously his wrestling, and a wrestler is not a well-rounded opponent. Fitch hasn't proven to me that he is as well rounded as people say so i honestly don't know what GSP is talking about when he says Fitch will be his best overall opponent.
billycarnage
6/12/08 10:54:27AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well BJ is imo the obvious choice for the GSP's best overall opponent. in 2nd i would say is Frank Trigg. i don't think Fitch is as well-rounded as people make him out to be and Trigg has dangerous stand up and a dangerous ground game. he has ways to win no matter where the fights end up and i can't say the same for Fitch. i think his stand up is still developing and that his JJ, while getting better, is still in its early stages. his best weapon is obviously his wrestling, and a wrestler is not a well-rounded opponent. Fitch hasn't proven to me that he is as well rounded as people say so i honestly don't know what GSP is talking about when he says Fitch will be his best overall opponent.

I didn't watch the video 'cause i assume it's the same from the other post. Chris Wilson exposed Fitch's weak stand up in their last fight. Fitch is a big WW. I agree with you 100% Wrestling is his strength. He has really progressed a lot in the last 2 years but I have always seen him as somewhat 1 dimensional. But he is also tough to finish. I don't recall him ever being choked. He has one hell of a chin. GSP will have to wear him down 1 round at a time.

Well rounded in order- BJ, Trigg, Sherk, Fitch, Hughes
wrona666
6/12/08 11:01:18AM

Posted by billycarnage

I didn't watch the video 'cause i assume it's the same from the other post. Chris Wilson exposed Fitch's weak stand up in their last fight. Fitch is a big WW. I agree with you 100% Wrestling is his strength. He has really progressed a lot in the last 2 years but I have always seen him as somewhat 1 dimensional. But he is also tough to finish. I don't recall him ever being choked. He has one hell of a chin. GSP will have to wear him down 1 round at a time.

Sherk and Hughes well rounded I think you meen one dimensional
billycarnage
6/12/08 12:02:35PM

Posted by wrona666

Posted by billycarnage

Sherk and Hughes well rounded I think you meen one dimensional

From most to least. And yes Sherk is a better striker than Fitch therefore he is more well rounded IMO. Not that Sherk could beat Fitch I am just saying out of the guys GSP has fought. I am rating them P4P beacause Penn and Sherk are @ 155lb. Notice that Hughes is last? Youre argument is one dimensional.
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 1:09:34PM

JJ in it's early stages? You do know that's he's a brown belt under Dave Camarillo right? GSP has a brown belt too so in pure grappling even when you add wrestling, their still pretty much even. While Fitch wasn't a stud with wrestling at Purdue, his wrestling still fits perfectly with MMA as well as GSP's. This fight grappling wise is a lot more equal then a lot of you guys tend to think. GSP's wrestling looks unstoppable because he's bigger then everybody else and overpowers everybody with it. But Fitch is actually bigger then GSP and tough as hell. He's relentless and GSP is not going to have an easy time grappling this guy. It will come down too the stand up which IMO is also equal just because even though GSP's technique is superior, Serra proved he leaves openings since every fighter does have them and Fitch has a great camp to help him expose those openings.I expect a back and forth war. No one sided a fair in this one.

And Frank Trigg as smart as he us about the sport, isn't as great as you might think. Fitch would out wrestle him and beat him since Trigg has trouble with good strong wrestlers. I have to agree with GSP that Fitch will be GSP's best overall opponent so far. As much as everybody loves BJ, the BJ that fought GSP, was not the BJ Penn your all talking about right now as some well rounded monster that would murder Fitch. Fitch probably would have beaten chubby BJ the same way GSP did since Fitch has the exact same qualities as GSP even though I still think to this day BJ Penn got robbed. Now the primed BJ we are seeing now at lightweight, he would be GSP's most well rounded opponent. He'd kill Fitch. But the BJ who fought GSP was the worst BJ Penn ever and I still think he beat GSP. Now that right there, that is scary...
bigbubbano23
6/12/08 1:24:27PM
i think both gsp and fitch are very well rounded, so this match is gonna be crazy intense fitch 4rd tko
jiujitsufreak74
6/12/08 2:17:26PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

JJ in it's early stages? You do know that's he's a brown belt under Dave Camarillo right? GSP has a brown belt too so in pure grappling even when you add wrestling, their still pretty much even. While Fitch wasn't a stud with wrestling at Purdue, his wrestling still fits perfectly with MMA as well as GSP's. This fight grappling wise is a lot more equal then a lot of you guys tend to think. GSP's wrestling looks unstoppable because he's bigger then everybody else and overpowers everybody with it. But Fitch is actually bigger then GSP and tough as hell. He's relentless and GSP is not going to have an easy time grappling this guy. It will come down too the stand up which IMO is also equal just because even though GSP's technique is superior, Serra proved he leaves openings since every fighter does have them and Fitch has a great camp to help him expose those openings.I expect a back and forth war. No one sided a fair in this one.

And Frank Trigg as smart as he us about the sport, isn't as great as you might think. Fitch would out wrestle him and beat him since Trigg has trouble with good strong wrestlers. I have to agree with GSP that Fitch will be GSP's best overall opponent so far. As much as everybody loves BJ, the BJ that fought GSP, was not the BJ Penn your all talking about right now as some well rounded monster that would murder Fitch. Fitch probably would have beaten chubby BJ the same way GSP did since Fitch has the exact same qualities as GSP even though I still think to this day BJ Penn got robbed. Now the primed BJ we are seeing now at lightweight, he would be GSP's most well rounded opponent. He'd kill Fitch. But the BJ who fought GSP was the worst BJ Penn ever and I still think he beat GSP. Now that right there, that is scary...

i never said Trigg would beat Fitch, just that Trigg is more well rounded. and yes i did know he is a brown belt...that means absolute sh*t now-a-days. take it from me, everyone seems to have a brown or black belt in JJ these days and Fitch's JJ looks like it is in its early stages in terms of MMA transition. he doesn't seem to be natural at it in that he passes up open subs and that in scrambles he tends to be more wrestling oriented then JJ oriented which is to be expected. being well rounded doesn't mean you are the best.

and when the only wins by submission you have are RNCs and guillotine it really doesn't say too much about your JJ level. i stand 100% behind my allegation that his JJ is still in it's early stages, even if he was a 10th degree black belt because when i see him fight you can tell it isn't quite natural yet.
89vision
6/12/08 2:24:32PM

Posted by Focker101

Posted by 89vision

yeah I would actually like to see Fitch vs Bj as well another great fight I think Bj would take it
but what Bj is missing to be a the best overall fighter is the wrestling Fitch has all three wrestling, striking, submissions just like GSP so I would agree with GSP

What can I expect from a canadian GSP hugga' (which is cool since I'm a fan of his too) Seriously tho I can have an opinion that Alves is gonna be champ, I think thats genuine too considering Serra KTFO GSP once and Serra's not nearly as good as Alves... MMA is fun
billycarnage
6/12/08 2:40:33PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

i never said Trigg would beat Fitch, just that Trigg is more well rounded. and yes i did know he is a brown belt...that means absolute sh*t now-a-days. take it from me, everyone seems to have a brown or black belt in JJ these days and Fitch's JJ looks like it is in its early stages in terms of MMA transition. he doesn't seem to be natural at it in that he passes up open subs and that in scrambles he tends to be more wrestling oriented then JJ oriented which is to be expected. being well rounded doesn't mean you are the best.

and when the only wins by submission you have are RNCs and guillotine it really doesn't say too much about your JJ level. i stand 100% behind my allegation that his JJ is still in it's early stages, even if he was a 10th degree black belt because when i see him fight you can tell it isn't quite natural yet.

JJFreak said it better than I ever could. He doesn't use his JJ effectively at all. He gets caught in subs frequently and relies on his strength and size to get out. I think St Pierre has the advantage if it goes to the ground.

Here is a video of Jon Fitch grappling against someone who can (Jake Sheilds).
jocka
6/12/08 3:33:15PM
I dont consider Fitch as being a well rounded fighter at all. I dont think he s that good of a wrestler either, as for his striking he really did get exposed in is last fight. I dont see how that guy can win against GSP, like someone mentionned earlyer he does realy on his strengh a lot and i don t hink there is a WW thats more powerful than GSP. I think GSP is just sayin that to be polite and to hype up the fight, he is such a nice guy lol
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 5:35:51PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

All BJ's submission wins are chokes too, so I guess that does not speak well for his JJ level. How does a brown belt mean absolute sh*t? It takes a few years to even get a blue belt nevertheless a brown belt. Just because he's not Shinya Aoki or BJ Penn and that fluent with his submissions, does not mean his JJ ain't good or looks rookiesh. He is more wrestling oriented and rather GNP then go for submissions. But that does not mean he isn't well rounded and isn't good whereever the fight goes.

And I already saw that video against Shields. Jake is an absolute beast, a loss against him shouldn't count against anyone since IMHO he is the best welterweight in MMA.
jiujitsufreak74
6/12/08 7:16:59PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

All BJ's submission wins are chokes too, so I guess that does not speak well for his JJ level. How does a brown belt mean absolute sh*t? It takes a few years to even get a blue belt nevertheless a brown belt. Just because he's not Shinya Aoki or BJ Penn and that fluent with his submissions, does not mean his JJ ain't good or looks rookiesh. He is more wrestling oriented and rather GNP then go for submissions. But that does not mean he isn't well rounded and isn't good whereever the fight goes.

And I already saw that video against Shields. Jake is an absolute beast, a loss against him shouldn't count against anyone since IMHO he is the best welterweight in MMA.

i said it doesn't speak to your JJ level. also, when you watch BJ fight you can tell he is fluent in JJ and his transitions are beautiful as well as an active guard with potential submissions from everywhere. and again, a brown belt in JJ doesn't mean your JJ isn't in its early stages in terms of transition into MMA. and BJ Penn and Aoki are just on a different level in terms of JJ, so don't even compare them with Fitch. even though he is not on their level you can tell by watching him that his JJ just isn't fluent. he still needs a little work because as billy has said he usually finds himself stuck in spots that a guy with solid JJ wouldn't be stuck. i am not saying his JJ is bad but merely that it is in its early stages. belts do not necessarily correlate with JJ ability in MMA as is clear when comparing Fitch with GSP. they may both be brown belts, but GSP's JJ is more seasoned, perfected and fluent where Fitch's seems to have rough patches. the way i can best explain it is Fitch seems like a wrestler who just picked up enough JJ to stay out of too much trouble and didn't really evolve from there.
breakdown5
6/12/08 7:24:15PM
Penn has definitely been the best fighter GSP has fought. Better striking and better JJ, while Fitch is the better wrestler.

As for Fitch vs. GSP, GSP will school Fitch.
Focker101
6/13/08 2:52:24PM

Posted by 89vision

Posted by Focker101

Posted by 89vision

What can I expect from a canadian GSP hugga' (which is cool since I'm a fan of his too) Seriously tho I can have an opinion that Alves is gonna be champ, I think thats genuine too considering Serra KTFO GSP once and Serra's not nearly as good as Alves... MMA is fun

89vision.. I dont underestimate Alves chances Personally I think that Alves is the greatest threat to GSP, That fight will either solidify GSP as a true P4P great fighter or expose his weak chin / Mental state
and I will really enjoy the 2 or 3 matches they will have against each other over the next few years I just hate when guys dont make weight, Alves is a huge prospect for sure thats why I am sooo dissapointed.. Sprained ankle or not.. this is not his first time not making weight.. personally I think he should have looked like Lutter did when he missed weight against Silva, or Joe Riggs against Hughes.. visually beat down from dehydrating.. Alves never looked the part he was huge and strong against Hughes.. with a bad ankle he should have spent the whole day in the sauna on a bike if he had too - no excuses you just make weight..

On a side note I would love to see Alves vs Penn for a true Contender Position after Fitch provided he beats Fitch, that would be a war..
89vision
6/13/08 8:54:57PM

Posted by Focker101

Posted by 89vision

Posted by Focker101

Posted by 89vision

89vision.. I dont underestimate Alves chances Personally I think that Alves is the greatest threat to GSP, That fight will either solidify GSP as a true P4P great fighter or expose his weak chin / Mental state
and I will really enjoy the 2 or 3 matches they will have against each other over the next few years I just hate when guys dont make weight, Alves is a huge prospect for sure thats why I am sooo dissapointed.. Sprained ankle or not.. this is not his first time not making weight.. personally I think he should have looked like Lutter did when he missed weight against Silva, or Joe Riggs against Hughes.. visually beat down from dehydrating.. Alves never looked the part he was huge and strong against Hughes.. with a bad ankle he should have spent the whole day in the sauna on a bike if he had too - no excuses you just make weight..

On a side note I would love to see Alves vs Penn for a true Contender Position after Fitch provided he beats Fitch, that would be a war..

you have no idea what his situation was dude, he wasnt sweating anymore after awhile, he actually passed out a couple times in the sauna trying to cut the weight, i'd like to see you injure any part of your leg(s) and try to cut 15-20 pounds in the time fighters have to, this weight issue is not a big deal, he wouldnt come into a title fight overweight or injured so this argument for "oh he wont make weight he cant fight for the title" b/s needs to stop

PS hughes missed weight the 1st fight against newton, granted he cut the weight in 24 hours but an FYI since your so against not making weight, which plenty of fighters do.. i guess there all undedicated fighters huh? heres the difference between lutter missing weight and thiago, thiago wins those fights, and its not like hughes wasnt at like 180 or so when he fought thiago lol