Has GSP gone "gun shy"?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Has GSP gone "gun shy"?
gskyprodigy
4/21/08 12:16:05PM
.........we've seen it with his fight with Koscheck

.......with Hughes 3......

......and now with Serra 2......

these 3 fighters which GSP has a standup edge over, yet he chose to take it to the ground.......where is the "Rush" now? its more like "take down"

I think GSP has gone gun shy.......from now on, in every fight, he'll go for the shoot immediately no matter who his oppenent is....
jiujitsufreak74
4/21/08 12:22:37PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

these 3 fighters which GSP has a standup edge over, yet he chose to take it to the ground.......where is the "Rush" now? its more like "take down"

I think GSP has gone gun shy.......from now on, in every fight, he'll go for the shoot immediately no matter who his oppenent is....

he said he doesn't like to get into slugfests because in a slugfest, it is a toss of a coin who will win depending on who lands the first punch. i think the Kos fight was a statement to Kos and also a good way to take all of the training Kos was doing and throwing it out the window; pretty much Kos' game plan did not count on GSP getting takedowns. and like i said before, with Hughes 3 and Serra 2 GSP has publicly stated he does not want to get into slugfests for the reason i outlined...he wants to feel more secure with his fights.

GSP said that getting into an exchange with Serra was the worst thing he could do. Said that a slugfest is like flipping a coin, whoever connects first is going to win. So he never wants to fight like that.

FOR te record i have no problem with GSP's fighting style...i was only responding to the TS' question.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/21/08 12:27:06PM
here we go again
Rush
4/21/08 12:43:39PM
Does it matter? He does what he needs to win. He is beating his opponents at their own game. His fights are exciting to watch.

Nuff said
gskyprodigy
4/21/08 12:53:35PM
....gsp is afraid of getting into a slugfest with hughes? wtf?
candynuts
4/21/08 12:56:38PM
Being a Serra fan, Id like to think he was afraid to stand with Serra

But beating someone at their own game speaks more for the winner.
gskyprodigy
4/21/08 1:02:56PM
........but beating that some1 the same way that they beat u is even better
ocho-cinco
4/21/08 1:03:48PM
I think his game plan is exactly what it should be. He is the best wrestler, and strongest guy in the division. why not do what Hughes did, take eveyone down and GnP them. If nobody can stop it then why would you change your style? And if someone figures out how to stop his take downs (unlikely), then unlike Hughes, he has excellent standup to fall back on.
I also think if the fight had gone into the 4th and 5th rounds, GSP would have mixed a bit of standup in there when Serra would have been tired and beat up already. I don't think he has a lack of confidence in his standup, but he knows he has a major edge when he's on top, where as his opponent has better odds of landing a haymaker, or taking him down, if the fight stays standing. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Cdellorso
4/21/08 1:28:08PM
I remember Months ago hearing that GSP was working with a sports psycologists. I think it really helped. he looked calm ready and focused- he did not look "fired up crazy" but he also did not look scared or apprehensive.

I know that he was making a statement by beatting Koschek at Koscheks game and he TOTALLY dominated Hughes-
After watching Serra 2 again - He really was following a great game plan-
He controlled the pace by easily taking down a much shorter opponent ( if you wrestled you know that its harter to shoot a shorter guy) and Gand P'd him to death. Matts Ribs are for sure feeling it today. I expected more from Serra but GSP is on a tear right now. I am excited to hear his possble next opponent is Fitch- I expect that Georges may want to stand up a bit more with him as he obviously does not have the KO power of serra and Hughes.

Did you say Serra and Hughes??? Well that will be a great one to watch. I cant wait!!

nickcuc547
4/21/08 2:09:52PM
he isn't gun shy, he has found his ground game is just as superior to his striking, plus if my ground game was that dominant i wouldn't stand unless i had to because it's a lot more risky and you are more apt to being upset, a la the first serra fight. i think if gsp was forced to stand, he would still have the same skill he showed in the first hughes fight.
tepid55
4/21/08 2:19:46PM
GSP knows that he can out-grapple anyone in the division.
keith-hackney1
4/21/08 2:23:31PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

isn't this sport mma ??? no one style fighters ??
Hurricane_Brad
4/21/08 2:26:18PM
I don't see a problem with GSP's gameplan as of late. He has quickly proven himself to be the best wrestler in a division with great wrestlers, and his GNP and BJJ are also top notch. Why not use these tools? It is far safer to land strikes to an opponent when you are in top position and he has little ability to strike back.
whardin19
4/21/08 3:06:54PM
I don't think it's that he's gun shy. I think it's more on the lines is that he knows he can beat these guys on the ground and he does it. Do I think he can do it to the bigger guy in Fitch I don't think so. I think he will have no choice but to fight Fitch on his feet if that's where Fitch wants the fight. I believe the GSP hype train is going to be derailed once again when he meets Jon Fitch.
therionace
4/21/08 3:39:49PM
you obviously haven't followed his carreer from its inception; his first form of offense is wrestling.

why not utilize your best skills? this is after all mma, not kick boxing.
JBatch
4/21/08 3:52:33PM
Gun shy maybe a little. Yet I would rather be called gunshy than an idiot. It would have been foolish to let Serra have any advantage or chance in that fight. Same with Kos and Hughes. He has a gameplan that works and he is going to clean out the entire division using it.
tberg420
4/21/08 3:58:21PM
He's successful with his style and constantly gets the "W."
bayonetxwork
4/21/08 7:45:38PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

Its called the evolution of mma. Its a sport based on gameplans, and styles. And in every fight that you spoke of, he used the PERFECT gameplan. None of which really put him in any serious danger of being beaten. He really is amazing at every aspect of the game, and dont think his credentials in each discipline really match his skill level. He cut through a black belts guard like butter. Took down a 4 time all-american wrestler at will. And owned Hughes which I always like to see

Bottom line, Serra beat him on the feet last time. This time he took him down, and one easily. Serra posed absolutely no threat off of his back IMO.
JBatch
4/21/08 7:50:18PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

I think you misunderstand the nickname man. Rush is commenting on his style of trying to finish fights in a rush. not rushing to punch you in the face or something along those lines. His style in almost every fight minus the Jay Hieron fight has been the same, he "rushes" in takes you down and tries to pound you out.

It would be like saying Karo shouldn't be nicknamed the Heat but rather Judo man. Did not make any sense to me at all bro.
grazz
4/21/08 8:17:44PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

you're either a troll or an complete idiot

its called a game plan, GSP is the best wrestler in MMA why the hell wouldnt he play to that strength
jgtribbett
4/21/08 8:46:33PM
"GO FOR THE SHOT" .. SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT.. YOU "SHOOT" OR "GO FOR THE SHOT".. YOU DO NOT "GO FOR THE SHOOT"....

YOU DONT HEAR ME OR ANY OTHER WRESTLER SAYING "I THREW A HEAD KICKING"
EON
4/21/08 8:55:21PM

Posted by gskyprodigy

........but beating that some1 the same way that they beat u is even better

wah wah, this isnt boxing...and dont make a dumb comeback to how you "know" that this isnt boxing and theres more than one way to beat somebody in this sport, what would have made you happy, getting on the inside and having a slugfest? where Serra is at his best in striking......huh? its called a plan and Georges dominated even in the small amounts of striking because he switched it up

i swear some people will just never be satisfied
GSPCanada
4/21/08 10:54:45PM
he might have been gunshy he might have had a gameplan he might have even gameplanned to be gunshy i don't know I think the koscheck n hughes fights were moreso to take a wrestler out of their element, wrestlers don't know how to do anything when they r on their back and it was better for him to put those two wrestlers in a hopeless position before they took him down...don't really know what to say about serra

Fitch is very strong and so is GSP I think Gsp will stand with him and have the edge and try to catch a leg and take fitch down when he tries to kick him, but still a little soon to start discussing that
cmill21
4/22/08 12:45:04AM
I don't think he's gone gun shy. If you had a sure way to win woulden't you use it? Theres not very many guys who can do what GSP does, and striking is pretty much 50/50 since one shot could be the decider. If your a pure striker anything can happen(ask Cro Cop) and sometimes it's just better to take the safe root and make it look rediculously easy.