gsp should fight in the middle weight too

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » gsp should fight in the middle weight too
ufcrocks
7/31/09 5:41:01PM
gsp doesn't fight enough. he's got enough cardio to do anything
Wallass
7/31/09 5:53:58PM
Dude I dont want to be a jerk but what the hell are you talking about?? GSP fights the people he should and has cleaned out the entire Welterweight division, he fights no less then 3/4 of the other fighters. He will move to Middleweight when he has distributed his weigh properly but hes not gonna jump into something the way BJ did challenging him. This topic should be put to rest as it seems like every 3 or 4 days someone posts something about this.
bojangalz
7/31/09 9:15:32PM

Posted by Wallass

Dude I dont want to be a jerk but what the hell are you talking about?? GSP fights the people he should and has cleaned out the entire Welterweight division, he fights no less then 3/4 of the other fighters. He will move to Middleweight when he has distributed his weigh properly but hes not gonna jump into something the way BJ did challenging him. This topic should be put to rest as it seems like every 3 or 4 days someone posts something about this.

Testify!

I simply don't understand the mentality of MMA fans. There is something to be said for a champion who can reign over his division. GSP is on the cusp of being such a champion. He may already be there, but the Serra loss still knocks him down a peg. As of today, Matt Hughes is still considered the greatest WW of all time. Does no one see the value in GSP staying at WW and taking Hughes' place at the top of that mountain?

The fact is, one could easily make the argument that GSP was one of (if not THE) first "true" mixed martial artist in the sport. He's nearly at the pinnicle of every aspect of the sport. Why can't we celebrate such champions for what they've accomplished and recognize them as the creme of the crop that they are.

The fact of the matter is, if GSP does move to middle weight he'd likely be out of the sport for a year as he puts on weight properly and learns how to carry said weight into a combat sport setting. Then what happens after his fight with Anderson Silva? Does he then take the next 6 months to a year off working his way back down to WW? The prospect of having one fight in a nearly 2 year span out of one of the greatest MMA fighters during his physical prime is none to appealing to me.

Does he vacate the title and remain at MW for the rest of his career? He's certainly not the biggest 170'er in the UFC, how well can he possibly fair against much larger opponents?

Odds are he'll lose the Silva fight (because size does matter and he's not even a big WW). So he'll trade 18-24 months of weight management and 4-5 potential title defenses for one shot at the MW title holder? How does this seem like a good idea to anyone?

I for one would much rather see GSP become the greatest WW champion of all time and dominate his division until someone better can come along and knock him off that pedistal. Until that time I'll appreciate him for the champion his is rather then wish he'd take one fight in the next two years.

*EDIT*

<<<<< 1000 Posts!
sclasclemski
7/31/09 11:01:30PM

I absolutely would be intrested in a GSP/Silva Superfight...merely because I don't see anyone...and I mean ANYONE who can challenge GSP...I bought into the hype about Thiago Alves and I was just frustrated watching that fight as Alves was basically worthless against GSP...I think Silva would handle GSP with his dominant striking and amazing takedown defense but you never know...I think the winner of Kampman/Swick will get the same treatment as Fitch/ BJ/ and ALves....total domination...then who is left....seriously who is left
Shadymlm
8/1/09 2:18:45AM

Posted by sclasclemski I absolutely would be intrested in a GSP/Silva Superfight...merely because I don't see anyone...and I mean ANYONE who can challenge GSP...I bought into the hype about Thiago Alves and I was just frustrated watching that fight as Alves was basically worthless against GSP...I think Silva would handle GSP with his dominant striking and amazing takedown defense but you never know...I think the winner of Kampman/Swick will get the same treatment as Fitch/ BJ/ and ALves....total domination...then who is left....seriously who is left
Alves was the biggest and strongest ww in the division and GSP Handled him with ease. If GSP wants to go down as one of the greatest fighters ever he needs to move up and fight some top lev MWs not saying he should get a shot at Silva right away, hell Silva still hasnt got a shot at the LHW title. Bottom line is that if there is no competition for him at WW then he needs to fight where he can be challenged.
theKirK
8/1/09 9:50:05AM
of course as a mma fan id love to c silva v gsp but honestly dont think its a good idea for gsp. he prolly be closer to 155 probably but still might be a nasty cut for him.

I dont c the reason y ppl r demanding he change weight classes. if this is his optimal weight y not stay n that class? also (and i feel weird saying this) but he is only on a 6 fight winning streak at the moment. his highest streak is 7 and of course the UFC record is 8 (held by jon fitch and royce gracie). I believe GSP still has work to do in his own devision before he starts trying to conquer another.

gsp is far from the first true MMA but is perhaps the most well rounded, ever. WW is still a very competitive class. I personally would like to c a rematch with fitch or alves (both took GSP to a decision).
sclasclemski
8/1/09 9:51:45AM
ok...whats the work...who do feel are really up to snuff in the UFC WW division right now that can truly give GSP a run for his money
bojangalz
8/1/09 12:17:18PM

Posted by sclasclemski

ok...whats the work...who do feel are really up to snuff in the UFC WW division right now that can truly give GSP a run for his money

You are missing the point completely. Let me see if I understand you right... You're basic premise is that GSP has cleaned out the WW division and because there isn't a suitable challenger to the title he has earned he should take time away from the division (a minimum of 18 months) for a single shot at Anderson Silva?

If that is infact what you are suggesting, then what does GSP do after that fight? Does he stay at MW? Does he take the necessary time off to get back to WW? His legacy is far from cemented at 170 pounds. So many people argue that he's got nothing left to prove there. But the fact remains that he's not even the most dominant fighter to wear that strap.

GSP's legacy should not be defined by a move up to 185 because he's already beat every top contender. His legacy should be defined by not only surpassing the bar that Matt Hughes has set; but raising that bar as far as he can to put it out of reach for the next several generations of fighters yet to come.

While I'm all for seeing the greatest fighters square off against eachother, the fact of the matter is Anderson Silva would beat GSP. Not because Spider is a better fighter, but because he's equally as good, only much, much bigger.

Even if GSP were to beat Silva it's still bad for the UFC's title picture. He can't physically defend both belts because of his stated desire to maintain a body structure condusive to one weight class or the other. He cannot healthily make consistant weigh-cuts and gains to consistantly defend both belts. So would you rather he vacate the WW belt and remain at MW? (a division where he will be clearly undersized) Remember, he still isn't even the most dominate WW champion in UFC history. How would that move be good for his legacy?

Or would you rather he reject the MW belt and return to WW to defend his title and become the greatest WW champion in UFC history? If that's the case, then why waste 18 months to 2 years of his career for a single fight in which he won't retain a belt, and likely wouldn't win in the first place?

There just isn't good argument that can be made as for why a fight with Anderson Silva would be good for GSP's long-term career. He should stay where he's at, and more MMA fans should appreciate him for what he's done rather then expect him to accomplish things which would likely be a detrament to his long-term career and his legacy in the sport.
ncordless
8/1/09 1:23:41PM
I can't tell if the ts name means he likes the UFC or the Florida Gators.
sclasclemski
8/1/09 2:28:48PM
Then I'm assuming Jangles that you are not a fan of Anderson going up to LHW and fighting people up there
scobac
8/1/09 2:40:03PM
Although I would like the potential matchups at MW for gsp I have to agree w/ bojangalz. Gsp still has work to do at WW and lets not forget fighters get better everyday changing who the title contenders are (it's hard to say he cleaned out a division when different contenders surface all the time) . Silva cleaned out a div but guys like okami, bisping, maia are in the picture or potentially will be within months or a year so. I understand that the guys silva and gsp beat are still some of the best if not the best in their respected wieghtclass but that can change very quickly and their will be a new contender they havent fought yet. I think what im trying to get at is even though it seems like they have cleaned out their divisions there is always gonna be a new kid on the block looking to take the belt.
scobac
8/1/09 2:45:54PM

Posted by sclasclemski

Then I'm assuming Jangles that you are not a fan of Anderson going up to LHW and fighting people up there

I like the match ups but I dont think he should put the strap on hold for super fights at 205. He still has work to do at MW, I think he should handle his buisness at 185 or just go up to 205 for a title run. Henderson, Okami, Nate, Maia, potentials later on in bisping, Palhares, Akiyama, he may have sent rich packing but there is work to be dont IMO
seanfu
8/1/09 4:20:16PM
GSP should move up to MW....

There's noone left to fight at ww. No superior wrestlers, noone who can stay off their backs, noone who can outstrike GSP for fear of ending up on their backs.

We're not going to see the best GSP for more than one sub par WW oponent. The Matt Hughes/Iceman effect will set in when he realizes he needs only the talent he has now to whoop everyone's asses. He'll stop evolving or he'll undertrain, or he'll be mentally half assing it.

None of us want to see that. Imagine being GSP and going out there dominating what is considered the best of the division, and doing it with 9 10ths of what you have, and the media praising the glistening sweat of your balls. I'd buy in to my own hype and think I'm the best ever, wouldn't you?

He needs to fight guys who can beat him, period, he needs to have a fight where he wins and the reaction isn't, "he was supposed to win". It could be in any division.

Give us GSP vs Hendo in a 5 rounder at MW. I guarentee you that will sell as many tickets as any top main event and will push GSP past what we've seen for a long time.

Point being, GSP himelf, desn't want to fight guys whose talent his shadow dwarfs. I guarrentee it. This isn't boxing, it isn't full of businessment who pick fights and go for oponents they know they should beat. These are real fighters, this is not a sport full of fighters who duck eachother or bitch because their oponents came in heavy and that changed the fight. These guys fight top oponents and do so to prove they're the best. There are no tune ups or rematch clauses or excuses, even when someone clearly cheats.

Keeping GSP at WW cheats him out of great matchups and a whole nother chapter in a great legacy. If he doesn't do it and a great WW comes out of nowhere then that's what happens, but if he just stays and beats sub par oponent after oponent we're going to see a shell of what he is now.
bojangalz
8/1/09 9:18:34PM

Posted by sclasclemski

I actually don't mind that at all. Anderson's body frame allows for him to equal the size of a LHW better then GSP's allows for fighting at MW. On top of that Silva's already shown that he's willing to fight at LHW and be back at MW within a few months time. GSP has already stated in interviews that he will not be managing his body frame in a similar mannor.
seanfu
8/2/09 4:31:44AM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by sclasclemski

I actually don't mind that at all. Anderson's body frame allows for him to equal the size of a LHW better then GSP's allows for fighting at MW. On top of that Silva's already shown that he's willing to fight at LHW and be back at MW within a few months time. GSP has already stated in interviews that he will not be managing his body frame in a similar mannor.

good point.
sclasclemski
8/2/09 3:47:36PM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by sclasclemski

The size argument kind of seems funky to me considering there is a 15 lb split between mw and ww while there is a 20 lb split between lhw and mw...as far as gsp saying he wont handle is body in the same manner...that just seems to me that he doesn't want to do the work or fight the people up the weight...I fail to see the difference between ANderson going up and GSP...