GSP The Current World Number 1.... Really?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » GSP The Current World Number 1.... Really?
« Previous Page
POLL: Do you see my point
Yes but he's still number 1 until beaten 45% (14)
Yes and the clock on his dominance is ticking 26% (8)
No, but give it a little longer 0% (0)
No cause he's still unbeaten so he should be number 1 23% (7)
Other 6% (2)
ghandikush
6/29/12 1:05:50PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by K4RP3NT3R

I understand what everybody is saying but where do you draw the line? How long do they sit out before dropping in the rankings? Royce Gracie was #1. Unbeaten in the UFC. Should he have been ranked number #1 when he returned to fight Hughes at UFC 60?

This question was ignored and it kinda highlights what I have to say, Between December 16, 1994 and May 1, 2000 Royce went 1-1. Because he was unbeaten and because he was number 1 when he didn't fight for a while, did he lose his position. Yes of course he did because the people who he fought became irrelevant.

Where do you join the line?

Since GSP's last loss he's what 8-0?

Koscheck went 6-2 before rematching GSP
Hughes is 3-3 till now
Serra is 1-2
Fitch is 5-1-1
Penn is 3-3-1
Alves is 2-3
Hardy is 1-3
Koscheck is 2-1
Shields is 1-1

The guys he's beaten minus Koscheck no longer find themselves as the top of the division.

At the moment it was only 1 year ago so we can look at him and say, he beat the top end of the division. However if he doesn't fight Condit in November, I think it will be even harder to argue that GSP is still number 1 as the division has changed all around him.

thats not the case at all. GSP consistantly beats everyone in their top form. 1and 1/2 years is not a Royce hiatus. I'm pretty sure everyone here is disagreeing with these long hiatus comparisons.

GSP beat 2 of the best Kos' we ever saw in both form and performance, he beat THE best Alves we ever saw in form and performance, he beat Hughes back when Hughes was badass WW king booyah diggity, and if you want to say GSP just ate Penns leftovers then say that, because he beat two of the best Penns there ever was, in form and performance.

There is noone like GSP in the sport other than Jones and Silva.

Say what you want about GSP's recent oponents but the ones he fought before his recent oponents would wipe the floor with most of the division in the form they were and and that was 3-4 fucking years ago.

GSP I begrudgingly salute you.
Bubbles
6/29/12 8:08:05PM

Posted by jjeans
This question was ignored and it kinda highlights what I have to say, Between December 16, 1994 and May 1, 2000 Royce went 1-1. Because he was unbeaten and because he was number 1 when he didn't fight for a while, did he lose his position. Yes of course he did because the people who he fought became irrelevant.

Hughes is 3-3 till now
Serra is 1-2
Fitch is 5-1-1
Penn is 3-3-1
Alves is 2-3
Hardy is 1-3
Koscheck is 2-1
Shields is 1-1

you are now looking at fighters since the fight, not at the time of the fight. But if you want to do it that way with Hendricks:

he lost to Story, who is 2-2 since the fight lost Brenneman and Kampmann and has a win over a UFC newbie
Waldburger 2-1, 2 wins over no names
Pierce 2-1, lost to only top fighter he faces, SD win over someone who isn't in the UFC anymore
Fitch, hasnt fought yet but it was a "lucky" punch
Koscheck, imo Koscheck won that fight
warglory
6/30/12 6:48:48PM
I guess this is worthy of discussion, but I don't personally see how GSP cannot be number one.

We are not talking about a guy on his last legs here with a questionable future. He had a serious injury that sidelined him, with a guaranteed return. There's no reason to doubt GSP's skills until he starts showing weakness in the cage, and thus far, that hasn't happened. Furthermore, why are you discounting GSP's win over Shields jjeans? Shields was arguably the #2 in the division, and no less than top 3 for sure. Shields was the clear contender for GSP's title, and GSP won convincingly. I'd say that's a pretty sure fire way to cap things off conveniently before suffering an injury.

I am especially perplexed how you could list the champ as #4 in the division, with young dudes ahead of him who haven't proven themselves to be championship caliber fighters just yet. Are they all great fighters? Yes, but none of them have beaten GSP, and the last time I checked, that has been the baseline for the ww division for years.
jjeans
6/30/12 7:38:37PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by jjeans

Hughes is 3-3 till now
Serra is 1-2
Fitch is 5-1-1
Penn is 3-3-1
Alves is 2-3
Hardy is 1-3
Koscheck is 2-1
Shields is 1-1

you are now looking at fighters since the fight, not at the time of the fight. But if you want to do it that way with Hendricks:

he lost to Story, who is 2-2 since the fight lost Brenneman and Kampmann and has a win over a UFC newbie
Waldburger 2-1, 2 wins over no names
Pierce 2-1, lost to only top fighter he faces, SD win over someone who isn't in the UFC anymore
Fitch, hasnt fought yet but it was a "lucky" punch
Koscheck, imo Koscheck won that fight

I take a legit finish as a legit finish, whether it was a 1 in a million punch or not Fitch was out. Whether it was at the beggining of the fight or the end of the fight, see Kampmann Alves or Boetsch Okami. You come to fight for 15 minutes if you get caught in those 15 minutes you've lost, you can't say it was lucky or I was winning as the bottom line is you have 15 minutes the opponent is coming to fight you and because you drop your guard for 10 seconds like Sonnen did means nothing
He lost and he's earnt his rematch.
I too admit I thought the Koscheck fight was close I scored it a draw and if we're going to get technical on judges decisions I scored the Shields/GSP fight 48/48 but I'll accept the judges score cards

Story has a win over GSPs wins like many of the up and comers
Waldburgers only loss has come to another up and comer who's boarder lining top 15

The division is changing and I'm not arguing that I don't think GSP will come back and reclaim the title however in terms of rankings it is all about who is the current top 10 and given all of his former opponents are no longer top 4, doesn't it suggest that GSP is only on top because of his skills and talents as opposed to who he has actually beaten.
jjeans
6/30/12 7:42:41PM

Posted by warglory

I guess this is worthy of discussion, but I don't personally see how GSP cannot be number one.

We are not talking about a guy on his last legs here with a questionable future. He had a serious injury that sidelined him, with a guaranteed return. There's no reason to doubt GSP's skills until he starts showing weakness in the cage, and thus far, that hasn't happened. Furthermore, why are you discounting GSP's win over Shields jjeans? Shields was arguably the #2 in the division, and no less than top 3 for sure. Shields was the clear contender for GSP's title, and GSP won convincingly. I'd say that's a pretty sure fire way to cap things off conveniently before suffering an injury.

I am especially perplexed how you could list the champ as #4 in the division, with young dudes ahead of him who haven't proven themselves to be championship caliber fighters just yet. Are they all great fighters? Yes, but none of them have beaten GSP, and the last time I checked, that has been the baseline for the ww division for years.

EDIT: Really tired, accidently posted whilst still typing, will reply properly tomorrow
Kpro
7/2/12 6:13:01PM
Cesar Gracie @CesarGracieBJJ
So Condit now wants our blackbelts to help him prepare for GSP.. Isn't Greg's GaidoJutsu sufficient?

Oh SNAP!
Bubbles
7/2/12 11:37:11PM

Posted by jjeans

I take a legit finish as a legit finish, whether it was a 1 in a million punch or not Fitch was out. Whether it was at the beggining of the fight or the end of the fight, see Kampmann Alves or Boetsch Okami. You come to fight for 15 minutes if you get caught in those 15 minutes you've lost, you can't say it was lucky or I was winning as the bottom line is you have 15 minutes the opponent is coming to fight you and because you drop your guard for 10 seconds like Sonnen did means nothing
He lost and he's earnt his rematch.
I too admit I thought the Koscheck fight was close I scored it a draw and if we're going to get technical on judges decisions I scored the Shields/GSP fight 48/48 but I'll accept the judges score cards.

a finish is a finish is a win, I can't argue that, but that does not necessarily mean the better fighter won. Is Howard a better fighter than Hallman? How about Serra over GSP the first time around?

You are right that fighters are responsible and need to be prepared for all 15-25 minutes, but flukey things happen. Rich Franklin was getting owned and had his arm broken by Liddell in that first round, but landed 1 punch to win the fight. Was Franklin the clear cut better fighter that night?

just curious as to which round you scored it 10-10, because GSP clearly won rounds 1-3 and imo won round 4 with the knockdown.
Bubbles
7/6/12 11:18:56PM
from Roy Nelson's fb feed: The press knows all because what ever the internet says we believe. They are more knowledgeable then keyboard warriors. HA They have GSP ranked #4

jjeans
7/7/12 10:14:32AM

Posted by Bubbles

from Roy Nelson's fb feed: The press knows all because what ever the internet says we believe. They are more knowledgeable then keyboard warriors. HA They have GSP ranked #4

That is the best news I've heard in a while
Which sites that at?!

And I thought I was going to have to wait another 3 weeks to celebrate!!?
Bubbles
7/7/12 11:18:32AM
you do realize that was all sarcasm in Roy's post
DancingDoll
7/9/12 4:32:02PM

Posted by Bubbles

If we believe this to be true, then the current #1 WW in the world, Carlos Condit, has decided to wait ten months in order to attempt to defeat the #4 WW in the world. How does that make sense? If GSP is really #4 right now and so 'irrelevant', Condit should be defending his rank and belt against Hendricks and Kampmann.

Sorry, the reality is that GSP is #1 until defeated. Even Condit sees it that way, otherwise waiting around shouldn't even be part of the game plan for him.

After November there shouldn't be anything left to dispute. GSP's ACL rehab is on schedule and everything looks good. There's no question in my mind that he will be sitting #1 on the rankings.
warglory
7/9/12 10:04:08PM

Posted by DancingDoll

Posted by Bubbles

If we believe this to be true, then the current #1 WW in the world, Carlos Condit, has decided to wait ten months in order to attempt to defeat the #4 WW in the world. How does that make sense? If GSP is really #4 right now and so 'irrelevant', Condit should be defending his rank and belt against Hendricks and Kampmann.

Sorry, the reality is that GSP is #1 until defeated. Even Condit sees it that way, otherwise waiting around shouldn't even be part of the game plan for him.

After November there shouldn't be anything left to dispute. GSP's ACL rehab is on schedule and everything looks good. There's no question in my mind that he will be sitting #1 on the rankings.

This lady speaks the truth.
Pages: 1 [2]