GSP's chin?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » GSP's chin?
roadking95th
4/15/07 1:53:11AM
I've watched the Serra-GSP fight several times now. I do not see ONE instance where GSP got his head "snapped" by a single punch. I know they say Serra has heavy hands and GSP did get hit by bunches of punches in the fight, but is GSP's chin considered great, good, or just average. I can't remember him really getting rocked before but neither can I remember him getting tagged either. Can some one help me out?

Has he been REALLY tagged by one punch?
Has he been hit by a bomb and not been really affected?
Does he have a quick recovery?
Rate his chin.
Ydoc
4/15/07 2:01:03AM
I think it had less to do with his chin and more to do with getting hit in the ear. Man that hurts and throws you off balance. He had a few chances to recover... if only he had just grabbed Serra and hugged him until he regained control... then maybe we would have a different outcome. Of course... then he's open to subs, so who knows.
mkiv9secsupra
4/15/07 2:05:17AM
i think GSP has been overrated since day one. Everyone just hated Hughes so they looked to the next best thing in GSP. Not saying GSP sucks in any way but he isnt this super striker that everyone thinks he is. As for his chin....its down there in the ranks. just one step up above of a glass chin...
Svartorm
4/15/07 3:24:15AM

Posted by roadking95th

Rate his chin.

He took some pretty serious punches in his fight with Penn and while bloody, wasn't close to being KO'd.

The thing about Serra is that he has short arms, and guys with short arms tend to hit disproportionatily hard, especially with hooks, uppercuts and elbows. If I'm not mistaken, the punch that initially rocked GSP was a tight left hook, so I can see GSP getting rocked by that. He got nailed repeatedly after as well, so I wouldn't say he has a glass jaw or he would have been dumped much sooner.
Pookie
4/15/07 3:31:20AM
Matt serra is really short. With that much muscle at 170 hes going to hit hard. Matt Hughes may have a better chin than Gsp.
pv3Hpv3p
4/15/07 3:51:18AM
I don't think it was as mch of a question about his chin in the Serra fight, as it was where Serra hit him... It was right behind the ear and scewed up his equilibrium...

IMO, Georges's chin is fine... Anyone can get hit on the button and get rocked
zephead
4/15/07 10:21:45AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

i think GSP has been overrated since day one. Everyone just hated Hughes so they looked to the next best thing in GSP. Not saying GSP sucks in any way but he isnt this super striker that everyone thinks he is. As for his chin....its down there in the ranks. just one step up above of a glass chin...

Why??? In the Penn fight he was getting tagged. So why is his chin "one step up above of a glass chin?
fedorwins1
4/15/07 11:40:09AM
Now come the haters now that GSP loses. Once someone gets knocked out it's automatically "they have a glass jaw".
Juggernaut
4/15/07 1:17:41PM

Posted by Ydoc

I think it had less to do with his chin and more to do with getting hit in the ear. Man that hurts and throws you off balance. He had a few chances to recover... if only he had just grabbed Serra and hugged him until he regained control... then maybe we would have a different outcome. Of course... then he's open to subs, so who knows.

I'm 100% confident that if GSP was to try and hug Matt Serra he would be taken down in an instant and more than likely submitted. Matt Serra is only 5'6 and he's one hell of a power house too. And I know from experience from training with my Sgt. in the Marine Corps, who is 5'5 170 and benches over 500 pounds, that those little guys cn get under you and slam you easily. power slamming somebody comes mainly from leg strength and how far apart your legs are. and since Serra is so short he doesn't have to squat very far and his leg base can be slightly more narrow but still have the effectiveness for a takedown. and although GSP's ground game is alright, Serra is a black belt in BJJ. and add to that the fact that GSP was stunned and also you would have to think that a takedown would shake him up a lil too. and FYI, I never liked GSP, not just recently. and Matt Serra was always one of my favorite fighters since he came out in '99
Juggernaut
4/15/07 1:24:49PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I agree completely. GSP is not all that great at all, he k.o.'s Hughes and suddenly everybody loves him. when the truth of the matter is that the only reason people actually watched that fight was because Hughes was in it. otherwise people just use GSP's matches for a bathroom break since you know you're noy going to miss anything exciting. like it was said, everybody just hated Hughes, but I love him and always have. he's a cocky asshole but he ca back it up. and everybody thought GSP was going to run over Serra but I knew the outcome and said it months before hand. I sure am glad people were stupid enough to give me 10:1 odds on that fight, won me alot of money
Pookie
4/15/07 3:42:47PM
This may be off topic, but i still dont think matt hughes will ever beat GSP in a fight.
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/15/07 4:36:15PM

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I agree completely. GSP is not all that great at all, he k.o.'s Hughes and suddenly everybody loves him. when the truth of the matter is that the only reason people actually watched that fight was because Hughes was in it. otherwise people just use GSP's matches for a bathroom break since you know you're noy going to miss anything exciting. like it was said, everybody just hated Hughes, but I love him and always have. he's a cocky asshole but he ca back it up. and everybody thought GSP was going to run over Serra but I knew the outcome and said it months before hand. I sure am glad people were stupid enough to give me 10:1 odds on that fight, won me alot of money

GSP isnt spectacular at just one thing. He is well rounded. And I guess dominating performancs over Karo, Sherk, Trigg, and Hughes makes you really boring.

Maybe you should stick to talking about Icon because you are clearly over your head on this one.
shinobi
4/15/07 5:27:45PM
i dont think GSP is overrated or that he has a bad chin, probably average. if you watch this fight and compare it to the others he's had, he didn't utilize the jab or leg kicks enough and let serra control the pace, just a mistake he'll learn from, he's 25 man. plenty of time to recover and get better, every champ has a loss...except fedor.
Juggernaut
4/15/07 8:46:05PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Coming from a Mayhem Miller fan, doesnt mean too much. GSP isnt spectacular at just one thing. He is well rounded. And I guess dominating performancs over Karo, Sherk, Trigg, and Hughes makes you really boring.

Maybe you should stick to talking about Icon because you are clearly over your head on this one.

I like Mayhem Miller because of his persona, and I don't even watch Icon. and look at the people you claim GSP dominated, Trigg is past his prime and was never that good to begin with, Sherk is a 155, when he fought GSP all he was was a blown up 155. Karo is good but he's nowhere near the top 10 and Hughes was just a lucky combo. and how do you explain GSP getting dominated by Serra??? GSP is just made up to be something he's not, end of story. and I'm not in over my head on anything. and unlike most people on here I actually fight and have MMA experience, I'm not just some dumbass fan who sits on his ass and thinks he knows everything there is to know about the sport and has never been in a fight
Jeffanori-Gomi
4/16/07 10:58:11AM

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Coming from a Mayhem Miller fan, doesnt mean too much. GSP isnt spectacular at just one thing. He is well rounded. And I guess dominating performancs over Karo, Sherk, Trigg, and Hughes makes you really boring.

I like Mayhem Miller because of his persona, and I don't even watch Icon. and look at the people you claim GSP dominated, Trigg is past his prime and was never that good to begin with, Sherk is a 155, when he fought GSP all he was was a blown up 155. Karo is good but he's nowhere near the top 10 and Hughes was just a lucky combo. and how do you explain GSP getting dominated by Serra??? GSP is just made up to be something he's not, end of story. and I'm not in over my head on anything. and unlike most people on here I actually fight and have MMA experience, I'm not just some dumbass fan who sits on his ass and thinks he knows everything there is to know about the sport and has never been in a fight

I train and fight also, doesnt make my opinion anymore valid than anyone elses.
pv3Hpv3p
4/16/07 1:26:26PM

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by Juggernaut

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Because you train and fight, you can go out on a limb and tell us all:

That Trigg was never that good?

Or that Sherk is just a 155er? (who only has two losses in a career full of 170lbs fights, and took Hughes to a decision while Matt was in his prime)

Or say that Karo isn't top 10 at 170??? Name ten better...

This is a joke... You've trained and have a few fights under your belt, congrats, this does not give your wild accusations any better of a baises than the rest of us...

When you go box with Trigg, roll with Karo, or try and wrestle Sherk... Then maybe some of us will listen... Get off your highhorse man
Lay_N_Pray
4/16/07 6:35:11PM
I think GSP has a chin with a bone in it like everyone else. When people get punched on their bones it can sometimes hurt and sometimes you fall down and dont get up.

Chins are chins...the "mexican" chin as Diego likes to say, GSP chin, and Sean Salmon chins are all the same...simply chins. So GSP got hit hard and went down like any other mortal man would.

GSP is not overrated, he is one of the best fighters in the world. Serra defeated one hell of a fighter and deservedly so. So when you say GSP is overrated you are taking away from the magnitude of Serra's victory.

I hope Serra and GSP both show how great they can be for a long time to come, though I think this could be Serra's last hurrah.
Rush
4/16/07 8:08:38PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I think GSP has a chin with a bone in it like everyone else. When people get punched on their bones it can sometimes hurt and sometimes you fall down and dont get up.

It's the nerve that runs along the chin/jaw that, when hit, makes you go to sleep. The nerve signal basically is overloaded and your brain just says, whoa, that's enough. Everyone has it, but some are more susceptable to going to sleep. It might be how superficial the nerve is as well as a number of other factors.

There is no way of telling how good/bad a fighter's chin is from one fight. Sometimes you just get hit in the right spot and that's that.
BigWilly
4/17/07 8:14:05PM

Posted by Svartorm

Posted by roadking95th

Rate his chin.

He took some pretty serious punches in his fight with Penn and while bloody, wasn't close to being KO'd.

The thing about Serra is that he has short arms, and guys with short arms tend to hit disproportionatily hard, especially with hooks, uppercuts and elbows. If I'm not mistaken, the punch that initially rocked GSP was a tight left hook, so I can see GSP getting rocked by that. He got nailed repeatedly after as well, so I wouldn't say he has a glass jaw or he would have been dumped much sooner.

Perfectly put... Serra's phyisque definately allows him to get above average power behind is punches...so each shot that lands is going to do some nice damage....
Chec22
4/17/07 11:57:30PM
I think GSP is a very well rounded fighter. He is also a stand up guy. I like seeing him fight. As he said in the post fight. Serra won, he has no excuse. Serra is an excellent fighter, he had a great night and beat another great fighter. MMA is unpredictable anything can happen. 1 loss doesnt mean you suck or have a glass jaw, every fighter has a loss somewhere along the line. Even Fedor has a loss. (Side note: Fedor is the only fighter people can rave about and not get raged at.) Point is some people like GSP some dont. If you dont its fine. If you think he sucks, great, you can have an opinion. But why totally trash talk people because they like the dude? Stick to the topic, dont get pissed because someone thinks a different way. This is supposed to be a discussion. Be pretty boring if everyone thought the same.