GSP vs. Anderson Silva Possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » GSP vs. Anderson Silva Possible
Next Page »
kastro_316
11/29/08 2:52:05PM
www.dreamfighters.com

If GSP is victorious against BJ Penn at UFC 94, he could be facing Anderson Silva, as mentioned by Dana White, President of the UFC.

In a interview a few months back with UFC President Dana White, Dana commented on the possibility of GSP facing Anderson Silva.

“(Anderson Silva) could meet Georges St. Pierre at a catch weight,” said White. “This guy wants to challenge himself. He’d probably fight at 145 pounds if we asked him to.”
MMAcca
11/29/08 2:57:05PM
War BJ
Wolfenstein
11/29/08 3:08:00PM
GSP walks around at least around 185. If he wants to move up to fight Silva then he should just fight at MW rather than a catch weight.

Not sure GSP has much of a chance in this one. He can probably consistently take Anderson down when he can find the range to shoot, but Anderson can be very elusive. GSP would probably eat a lot of shots from the outside enroute to a TKO in the later rounds.

The question is...what about Thiago Alves? GSP already takes extended breaks in between fights, it could potentially be another six months.
jocka
11/29/08 3:16:25PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

GSP walks around at least around 185. If he wants to move up to fight Silva then he should just fight at MW rather than a catch weight.

Not sure GSP has much of a chance in this one. He can probably consistently take Anderson down when he can find the range to shoot, but Anderson can be very elusive. GSP would probably eat a lot of shots from the outside enroute to a TKO in the later rounds.

The question is...what about Thiago Alves? GSP already takes extended breaks in between fights, it could potentially be another six months.

What do you mean he takws extented brakes between fight? compared to whi the spider? plus he fought 6 times in the past 2 years which seems pretty average to me
Twenty20Dollars
11/29/08 3:19:58PM
Doubt it. Let Alves fight for the title.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/29/08 3:20:08PM
St.Pierre vs. Anderson is inevitable. The fight is now the most relevant super fight in MMA. I believe St.Pierre will defeat Penn which provides the necessary element for the St.Pierre Silva fight. All though Anderson can dictate range and tempo of the fight, I still believe that St.Pierre's progression and superb ability to game plan for his opponents would also lead him to victory in a bout between the spider. Concerning Alves he should wait, or do what Florian chose to do FIGHT someone else. If you have confidence in yourself that your deserving enough to fight for the WW title, well you should be confident enough to know you can defeat another person. Give him a rematch with Fitch in which he would lose.
tuvok500
11/29/08 3:28:06PM

Posted by MMAcca

War BJ

GSP by Murder !!! BJ
Wolfenstein
11/29/08 3:28:18PM
He fights typically once every four months, and when he fights BJ it will have been almost 6 months. GSP has always been a guy that likes to have long training camps in preparation for a fight. He defended his title for the first time in August and won't be fighting again until nearly February...yeah I would say that's pretty infrequent.

It's not just Geroge, it seems to be happening with a lot of current champs.
jocka
11/29/08 3:28:35PM

Posted by roncomanjason

St.Pierre vs. Anderson is inevitable. The fight is now the most relevant super fight in MMA. I believe St.Pierre will defeat Penn which provides the necessary element for the St.Pierre Silva fight. All though Anderson can dictate range and tempo of the fight, I still believe that St.Pierre's progression and superb ability to game plan for his opponents would also lead him to victory in a bout between the spider. Concerning Alves he should wait, or do what Florian chose to do FIGHT someone else. If you have confidence in yourself that your deserving enough to fight for the WW title, well you should be confident enough to know you can defeat another person. Give him a rematch with Fitch in which he would lose.

Are you saying that GSP can defeat the Spider but would loose to fitch?
MMAcca
11/29/08 3:31:25PM

Posted by tuvok500

Posted by MMAcca

War BJ

GSP by Murder !!! BJ

mk1630
11/29/08 3:38:33PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I dont have a link but in a thread earlier it talked about how Dana said that Alves is fighting for the belt next if GSP won and then he would fight Anderson.
MMAcca
11/29/08 3:44:30PM

Posted by mk1630

Posted by Wolfenstein

I dont have a link but in a thread earlier it talked about how Dana said that Alves is fighting for the belt next if GSP won and then he would fight Anderson.

IF, IF, IF.........

BJ will win

The_Metal_Maniac
11/29/08 3:44:50PM

Posted by jocka

Posted by roncomanjason

Are you saying that GSP can defeat the Spider but would loose to fitch?

No if you read what I had wrote I clearly am talking about Alves. Alves lost to Fitch thus him rematching an opponent whom is still considered a top WW makes sense.
Mayo
11/29/08 4:00:41PM
I just hope that GSP doesn't play it ultra safe like he did in the Serra rematch. I mean come on is he that scared of receiving a punch?
GSP vs Silva might just become a lay and pray for GSP if he doesn't first get KOed in the first round.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/29/08 4:07:29PM

Posted by Mayo

I just hope that GSP doesn't play it ultra safe like he did in the Serra rematch. I mean come on is he that scared of receiving a punch?
GSP vs Silva might just become a lay and pray for GSP if he doesn't first get KOed in the first round.

Anderson being a world class fighter should prepare for that possible scenario. If St.Pierre attempts to use his wrestling to his advantage, and score a decision with take down points and ground and pound that's fine to me. Anderson will be prepared for that and it should be an entertaining fight.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/29/08 4:15:59PM
Anderson would knock gsp out on the feet , knock him out with an upkick or sub him off his back . I don't see how gsp can win . Gsp wouldn't beat rich franklin , let alone A silva.
MMAcca
11/29/08 4:18:34PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Anderson would knock gsp out on the feet , knock him out with an upkick or sub him off his back . I don't see how gsp can win . Gsp wouldn't beat rich franklin , let alone A silva.

100%
Lethal
11/29/08 5:38:44PM

Posted by MMAcca

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

100%

Anderson is questionably faster, no doubt stronger, more technical in most areas of his game, and much bigger than GSP. GSP is a great wrestler but Anderson has dealt with bigger and stronger wrestlers almost with ease. I just don't see how GSP will win.
tallica62
11/29/08 5:54:36PM
its about damn time this fight might happen...i was worried dana might try to push it too long and either one or both of these guys would falter from being on top of the world...id take silva though...hes too good right now...and has mike tyson voice syndrome
MMAcca
11/29/08 5:55:50PM

Posted by tallica62

and has mike tyson voice syndrome

???
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
11/29/08 5:56:28PM
I think after the gsp/penn fight Georges WIN or lose should fight Alves and after that maybe Silva
but not next Penns already ******* around and delaying the 155 title defense cant have silva and St Pierre doing the same
crushedbacon
11/29/08 6:17:36PM

Posted by Mayo

Yeah cuz it would make sense for GSP to go in and exchange with Silva.....like it would make sense for GSP to get in a slug fest with Serra?????....LOL......It's not cuz he's scared of taking a punch (he's an mma fighter).....its an issue of forming a game plan that will be advantageous and then implementing it.
MaxOne
11/29/08 7:14:15PM
BJ has a much better shot at beating Silva than Georges does IMO.
The_Metal_Maniac
11/29/08 7:37:14PM

Posted by MaxOne

BJ has a much better shot at beating Silva than Georges does IMO.

You should never express an original idea, ever.
prozacnation1978
11/29/08 10:19:04PM
i would rather see that then silva vs lidell
but gsp?? lidell?? when is silva gonna defend the title??
soundboy1
11/29/08 11:18:10PM
I've got penn winning in the 4th. I would still love to see the fight though. If it's at catch weight who cares about rankings. It's just a great fight.
bojangalz
11/29/08 11:24:28PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

when is silva gonna defend the title??

Honestly- of all the champions; Silva is the one who most deservedly belongs in super fights. There isn't a clear-cut #1 contender in his division right now, and everyone who is close is someone who Silva has destroyed already anyway. I'm sure he'll defend the belt as soon as there is a suitable opponent for him.

I've been asking for GSP/Silva since long before they ever started talking about a Penn fight. And I completely agree with it being at a catch-weight. No Sense in potentially tieing up yet another weight division. Lets have the fight so we can answer some P4P questions. This isn't about belts; it's about history. If GSP can get past Penn, and defend against Alves then there will be no one else in the UFC more deserving of a fight with arguably the P4P king.
tallica62
11/29/08 11:26:01PM
mike tyson voice syndrome =badass guy who can kick your ass with a high voice
GrandMaster313
11/30/08 12:19:45AM
if GSP cant beat Silva, who in the UFC can????????
Manak
11/30/08 1:02:36AM

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by prozacnation1978

when is silva gonna defend the title??

Honestly- of all the champions; Silva is the one who most deservedly belongs in super fights. There isn't a clear-cut #1 contender in his division right now, and everyone who is close is someone who Silva has destroyed already anyway. I'm sure he'll defend the belt as soon as there is a suitable opponent for him.

I've been asking for GSP/Silva since long before they ever started talking about a Penn fight. And I completely agree with it being at a catch-weight. No Sense in potentially tieing up yet another weight division. Lets have the fight so we can answer some P4P questions. This isn't about belts; it's about history. If GSP can get past Penn, and defend against Alves then there will be no one else in the UFC more deserving of a fight with arguably the P4P king.

perfectly stated plus if anderson plans on retiring in 2009 then i would rather see him in super-fights
Pages: [1] 2