gsp decision 11% (6)
gsp ko/tko 46% (25)
gsp sub 9% (5)
alves decision 0% (0)
alves ko/tko 33% (18)
alves sub (ha) 0% (0)
fonduktoe
4/28/09 1:39:25AM
i see gsp taking a safety on this one with takedowns interspersed with modest ground and pound into a decision victory
i know alves has good takedown defense but i don't think it's good enough to pull off a brawl and sprawl against the best doublelegger in mma today
i see gsp being cautious on the feet en route to numerous takedowns with little damage done to score the numerical victory
Vincent_Vega
4/28/09 7:36:20AM
I would love to see Alves knock him the **** out but it wont happen.

Alves will tire in the third after a wresling clinic by GSP and eventually get TKO'ed late in the third.
prozacnation1978
4/28/09 10:09:26AM
alves could go 3 rounds with kos
i really think gsp might lose this fight,
if he wins i think gsp will hvae the belt still well inot the year 2010
Franklinfan47
4/28/09 11:02:56AM

Posted by fonduktoe

i see gsp taking a safety on this one with takedowns interspersed with modest ground and pound into a decision victory
i know alves has good takedown defense but i don't think it's good enough to pull off a brawl and sprawl against the best doublelegger in mma today
i see gsp being cautious on the feet en route to numerous takedowns with little damage done to score the numerical victory

Agreed on all points, except I would substitute modest GnP with brutal GnP en route to a stoppage in the late 2nd/early 3rd rd.
John_Jobber
4/28/09 12:17:37PM
GSP wins like a greased pig. He'll be scared of getting ktfo and will win by TKO via boring g&p in round 2.
TimW001
4/28/09 12:39:44PM
GSP TKO (GNP) 2nd
EvenFlow
4/28/09 5:07:06PM
I still laugh out loud every time I see that Alves is a heavy underdog. How does BJ, a lightweight who hadnt got a WW win before getting a shot, get around 33% and Alves gets no respect with like 18%. He has a far better shot than BJ or any other WW has ever had. I mean look at how easily Serra a non ranked WW at the time beat GSP at 69, do the GSP nuthuggers really believe that wont happen again someday?
wiggum
4/28/09 6:27:28PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I still laugh out loud every time I see that Alves is a heavy underdog. How does BJ, a lightweight who hadnt got a WW win before getting a shot, get around 33% and Alves gets no respect with like 18%. He has a far better shot than BJ or any other WW has ever had. I mean look at how easily Serra a non ranked WW at the time beat GSP at 69, do the GSP nuthuggers really believe that wont happen again someday?

agreed.....this is alot closer than people are making it out to be.....from a betting stand point, gsp is the safe bet....but if you break down the fight, it might not be that safe.... striking: both are top notch, with a technical and power advantage going in alves favor, while gsp is both of those things, his standup becomes more dangerous due to the constant threat of takedown, were as alves doesnt present that threat....... chin goes to alves, but in reality not by much, both have been stopped on strikes, but gsp was brutality while alves was ground and pounded to a stoppage...... strength i think is about even, but as for strength for were each fight can use it in theyre game plan, gsp might have a slight advantage....wrestling and bjj both go to gsp, but alves is very accomplished bjj player to, espcially coming out of att...cardio goes to gsp as well, but alves hasnt really had to big of an issue in that deparment, yet he still hasnt trained for a 5 round fight till now........i see the fight playing out a few ways....gsp goes the distance with him, or gets a late fight tko or submission from a fatigued alves.....or alves is able to sprawl and brawl effectively within the first three rds to catch gsp and put him down and out......im going and hoping for the alves outcome, but my money will be on gsp
Wolfenstein
4/28/09 7:45:16PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Well it's no secret you're riding this Alves train hard. You seem like a pretty cool guy, so I will make it my mission for the a couple minutes to sway you from losing at minimum 5 points..

I suppose the huge disparity comes from the common opponent in Jon Fitch. I think Thiago has improved significantly since then, but he still has the same holes in his game. Thiago's wins all seem to come with some amount of controversy, wether it's not making weight against Hughes, a controversial KO over Parysian, or a late replacement of Koscheck.

Thiago can be taken down, and Hughes and Parysian were able to do just that in the first round. That leads me to believe that GSP should be able to secure a takedown easilly enough. From there--that's where GSP sucks the life out of fighters. His relentless GnP just saps the stamina out of fighters, and they never seem to be the same after a round on the bottom.

I was very impressed with GSP's ability to pass guard against BJ, and Alves has a very wide open guard. Thiago isn't easy prey on the ground, but his guard isn't too difficult to pass.

GSP gets the "weak chin" theory often after the Serra bout, but it was a one in a million shot that caught him behind the ear (mastoid process, I think that's the technical term) and that's a KO region. Not a lot of fighters are going to be able to absorb that shot.

Alves has a punchers chance, but I think there is a much bigger disparity in grappling between the two, than there is in striking (not to mention a six inch reach disadvantage).

I see GSP taking him down and wearing him out for a few rounds (which should be a great tactic against a fighter that struggles to make weight) and then turning it up in the later rounds for the finish.

Jackelope
4/28/09 7:51:29PM
Wolf, I can't prop you enough, man. Always waiting to spread the love. This is pretty much exactly the way I feel about this match. Except in the early rounds I give Alves a bit more of a chance than you probably do
nickcuc547
4/28/09 7:59:59PM
i like gsp but this is going to be a war, remember koscheck couldn't take down alves, i know gsp outwrestled kos but he will have to work for every takedown. i think alves shrugs off the first couple but gsp's superior conditioning helps him finish off the pitbull in the later rounds.
chickmagnet
4/28/09 8:15:17PM
Alves - Flying Knee - Round 2
EvenFlow
4/29/09 1:31:06AM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by EvenFlow

Well it's no secret you're riding this Alves train hard. You seem like a pretty cool guy, so I will make it my mission for the a couple minutes to sway you from losing at minimum 5 points..

I suppose the huge disparity comes from the common opponent in Jon Fitch. I think Thiago has improved significantly since then, but he still has the same holes in his game. Thiago's wins all seem to come with some amount of controversy, wether it's not making weight against Hughes, a controversial KO over Parysian, or a late replacement of Koscheck.

Thiago can be taken down, and Hughes and Parysian were able to do just that in the first round. That leads me to believe that GSP should be able to secure a takedown easilly enough. From there--that's where GSP sucks the life out of fighters. His relentless GnP just saps the stamina out of fighters, and they never seem to be the same after a round on the bottom.

I was very impressed with GSP's ability to pass guard against BJ, and Alves has a very wide open guard. Thiago isn't easy prey on the ground, but his guard isn't too difficult to pass.

GSP gets the "weak chin" theory often after the Serra bout, but it was a one in a million shot that caught him behind the ear (mastoid process, I think that's the technical term) and that's a KO region. Not a lot of fighters are going to be able to absorb that shot.

Alves has a punchers chance, but I think there is a much bigger disparity in grappling between the two, than there is in striking (not to mention a six inch reach disadvantage).

I see GSP taking him down and wearing him out for a few rounds (which should be a great tactic against a fighter that struggles to make weight) and then turning it up in the later rounds for the finish.

I think you shouldnt fully blame the people not making weight if the other guy agrees to fight you after the fact (without saying you shouldnt make weight) Like the girl who just lost to Cyborg, she shoulda taught her and the division a lesson and stuck by her decision to not fight someone who didnt even come prepared. So I really find it hard to give a crap about the Hughes fight, also the two of those guys were fighting on UFC 85: Doomed, there mightve not been an event without them. Also Karo was flailing and out and hit back into consciousness, I had no idea people still dispute that. As for Kos, it shouldnt be the other guys burden if the other guys a late replacement. Joe Silva says, you read to fight? Kos said yes, claiming to be in fighting shape, he had a fight coming up against Yoshida so he was already in shape but took a fight to help out the card.

Regarding GSP vs Serra 1. Whether you think it was a fluke shot or not, he still got hit by it and stopped. I dont like that excuse tbh, it discredits Serra's win completely, it mightve been lucky but he still hit it. I never hear from anyone that GSP has a weak chin, everyone seems to love the guy. Hes facing a better striker than hes ever fought who can very well overcome the takedowns, clinch and knock him out. My advice to GSP would be to look for a submission early, he'll probably get at least one takedown in the fight. My point really wasnt to say who I'm picking but that the odds are ludicrous quite bluntly. The guy is not invincible is all I'm saying, theres only one Fedor.
Meanrighthand88
5/3/09 9:50:49PM
Hmmm... I wouldn't call it being safe as much as being smart. With his tools he's gonna be able to mix it up against Alves, and overwhelm him. I think Alves is gonna respect GSP too much and even get picked apart standing in the 2nd/3rd rounds. I don't see him handling the complete package that is GSP, very well.

GSP TKO round 3.
mkiv9secsupra
5/4/09 8:51:55AM
Alves looked go in his last few fights because he is very adept at sprawling from double and single leg takedown shots, which is all Hughes and Kos know. Expect GSP to get in close and used trips and judo throws from the clinch. Alves is decent in the clinch, but come on hes no Anderson or Wanderlei. He wont be able to control someone like GSP from the clinch. And on the ground its far from close. GSP dominates all night from half guard and side mount and eventually mounts Alves when he gasses and finishes him via brutal TKO.
prozacnation1978
5/4/09 10:08:33AM
i will say this i'll be wearing a silver star gsp t shirt at the arena in vegas but on my way there i am gonna stop and through down some bills on alves winning
State_Champ
5/4/09 10:13:55AM
I hope GSP can win this fight with some of his exciting GnP and TKO Alves in the third round.

handstrong
5/6/09 8:11:29PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Alves is an underdog and rightly so. Alves has beat a few good fighters, but not nearly as many as ST Pierre has. Plus, St Pierre doesn't have to rely on the big knockout like Alves does. He can win by outpointing him, outwrestling him, ground n pounding him. The only way Alves is gonna win is by knockout. The BJ Penn thing is just about popularity. Not really relevant to this fight. Anyone on any night can take anyone out, like Serra did. But odds are that Alves won't. Of course someone will take him out at somepoint, just like most champions eventually lose, but St Pierre is locked in and on top of his game right now. Take a look at the Fitch vs Alves, then the Fitch vs St Pierre fight. and tell me that St Pierre should lose this fight.

And that "nuthugging" stuff is getting soooo tiiiired. Please someone put it to sleep.
EvenFlow
5/6/09 10:32:47PM

Posted by handstrong

And that "nuthugging" stuff is getting soooo tiiiired. Please someone put it to sleep.

I couldnt help but notice you didnt answer the question
handstrong
5/7/09 4:37:40PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by handstrong

Well there's a couple of questions you asked in you post... if it's the one about Penn gettin more of a chance against St Pierre, I said that was because of Penn being a more popular fighter. If it was the one about the nuthuggers expecting St Pierre not to get knocked out again, I answered that one too. He just might at some point, but not yet. Not that my post was to even answer any of your questions anyway. It was simply to disagree with your statement which was inferring that St Pierre fans, or as you put it "nuthuggers," were delusional about him ever being knocked out again. I'm actually a fan of Alves, but not so much that I can favor this guy against St Pierre. I would definately favor him more that I did with Penn, but then again I'm not the biggest Penn fan.

By the way, is it just St Pierre fans that are considered nuthuggers, or does that apply to all others or what? Who exactly are these nuthuggers anyway? Seems like that anyone who roots for the guy is automatically lumped into this stupid category. Is it just a casual fan that qualifies for this, or just the unreasonable/unrealistic/fanatics that qualify for this distinction?

Rockets take the Fakers in 6.
Bloodhound
5/7/09 4:51:49PM
i'ma pretty big Thiago Alves fan, so ill say Alves by KO, every1 bringing up Alves Vs Fitch, that was awhile ago and Alves has evolved alot since then....granted GSP is better on the ground Alves is no slouch on the ground hes got some good bjj. but im excited for this fight
EvenFlow
5/7/09 5:11:01PM

Posted by handstrong

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by handstrong

Well there's a couple of questions you asked in you post... if it's the one about Penn gettin more of a chance against St Pierre, I said that was because of Penn being a more popular fighter. If it was the one about the nuthuggers expecting St Pierre not to get knocked out again, I answered that one too. He just might at some point, but not yet. Not that my post was to even answer any of your questions anyway. It was simply to disagree with your statement which was inferring that St Pierre fans, or as you put it "nuthuggers," were delusional about him ever being knocked out again. I'm actually a fan of Alves, but not so much that I can favor this guy against St Pierre. I would definately favor him more that I did with Penn, but then again I'm not the biggest Penn fan.

By the way, is it just St Pierre fans that are considered nuthuggers, or does that apply to all others or what? Who exactly are these nuthuggers anyway? Seems like that anyone who roots for the guy is automatically lumped into this stupid category. Is it just a casual fan that qualifies for this, or just the unreasonable/unrealistic/fanatics that qualify for this distinction?

Rockets take the Fakers in 6.

I'll be honest I stopped reading when you couldnt figure out what question I asked when I only quote one part of your post. Theres an upside to people counting Alves out, when I get my underdog bonus.
cloud301336
5/7/09 9:58:47PM
i don't know why but for some reason i picture Alves hitting GSP with a Knee when he go's in for the take down, either knocking GSP out Right a way, or landing a few punches to get the TKO.

Alves by TKO 2 rd