GSP

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » GSP
Next Page »
nickcuc547
8/26/07 9:53:53AM
where is all the talk about gsp, he just outwrestled the most talented wrestler in the ufc, and maybe even in mma. koscheck is a very tough opponent and gsp outclassed him, i think gsp is back, serra and hughes better be scared.
silverbullet
8/26/07 10:23:34AM
GSP is a monster, hands down. I love Koscheck, but he had no chance in that fight, it was complete domination. GSP wins against Koscheck 9 times out of 10, and Koscheck wins against Matt Serra 99 times out of a 100. So GSP losing to Serra was the luckiest punch ever thrown in the history of the UFC. And last night GSP made it quite clear.
Rush
8/26/07 11:06:44AM
Bottom line is GSP was not prepared for Serra. I've said it, GSP said it, other have said it. Let's not go there. It's done

When walking in last night you could see that GSP was prepared for this fight and it showed.
AchillesHeel
8/26/07 11:17:19AM
All of the bold Koscheck predictions were adorable, but I think we all knew this was GSP's fight to win or lose. Right now, there's nobody even close to GSP in the UFC's welterweight division. A few people are "definite maybes", I guess.

His only mistake last night was not using his cool entrance music. I guess he wanted a fresh start, all around.
Nacho
8/26/07 11:31:21AM
I agree that GSP losing to Sera was a good thing for him. It forced him to evolve even further and a lot of that was mental. Greg Jackson was a great choice in that aspect. GSP looked awesome. He will most definitely be champ again.

On a side note, I thought it was funny when Goldie said 29 y.o. Kos can afford a loss and 26 y.o. GSP cannot. GSP has a lot of good years ahead of him and we all get the pleasure of watching him. I am looking forward to him getting his Sera rematch, or beating down Hughs again.
MMA
8/26/07 11:31:37AM
To be honest, I thought GSP was a bit tentative in the 1st round - I don't think he wanted to strike with Koscheck and get KO'd again. However, as the fight progressed, he gained more confidence in his abilities and he let his strikes go in the 3rd round.

Yes, I believe that his ultimate game plan was to put Koscheck on his back (like what he did with all the other wrestlers he has fought) but he seemed a bit tense to me.

Lastly, I do not think Koscheck has improved much on his striking since his last few fights. Almost all his punches are wild haymakers and he never utilizes leg kicks. He just throws some wild hooks and uppercuts hoping they will knock out his opponent. Josh really needs to learn to use more combinations and leg kicks.
kopower
8/26/07 12:02:06PM
Gsp looked amazing! Can't wait for Hughes to win the belt back and Gsp absolutely dominating him again.
three_days_of_grey
8/26/07 1:14:52PM
What a dominant performance by GSP. Kos has no answer for GSP's takedowns and appeared to be surprised by GSP's strength and take-down defense.
I have to give it to Kos though for the defense of the kimura attempt. It was only in keeping GSP in that half-guard that saved him from a viscious and painful submission.
I believe GSP will be wearing the belt again after his next fight although I think I'd rather see a GSP/Serra II rather than a GSP/Hughes III.

-OUT-
sakurabaforever
8/26/07 1:23:55PM
Good performance, but yeah GSP was a little tentative on the feet. He could of KOd Kos probably if he kept trying. But sending the message that he was the better grappler was definitely cool. Hughes is gonna have his hands full. GSP has a lot of time for further improvement and that is just scary.
DJDark41
8/26/07 1:26:49PM
I was relatively impressed by his performance. I think he was playing it safe by turning it into a wrestling match, and not have to worry about getting caught with a punch and getting knocked out. I'm glad to see him get back to his winning ways, I can't wait to see him fight again.

jomatty
8/26/07 6:18:28PM
i felt sure that gsp would win but did not expect him to outwrestle kos. he served notice from the opening bell that he could do what he pleased. when kos finally got his leg and gsp still avoided being put on his back. no doubt in my mind now that gsp is one of the absolute elite wrestlers in mma.
Branwest
8/26/07 6:28:38PM
What happened to all the ppl who had posts on previous threads about this fight?
I thought Kos was going to "dominate GSP" and all that other crap.
GSP outwrestled him, not barely, but completely.
This was total domination and I loved every minute of it.
Go back to the gym Kos, you're not ready for the likes of GSP.
He's baaaaaack......!!!! Look out Serra, Hughes!!
The person with the best all around game is TAKING his belt back.
Alot of ppl though Rush would win, but not dominate the wrestling aspect of it. It just goes to show how good GSP really is...
d_block07
8/26/07 7:03:17PM
gsp is a freak the way he avoided that single that was insanity. and did anybody hear koschecks intro. it was pathetic
Pitbull09
8/26/07 7:27:36PM
GSP has always been a monster. Thats why there isnt much talk as deep down, all most everyone knew KOS had no chance. It was no surprise to see KOS get owned o nthe ground as GSP is well balanced and comes in a fight with good gameplans.
Violence108
8/26/07 7:42:53PM
GSP is the man, kos had no chance what so ever, is GSp going for a new look with the red shorts?? who cares he owned kos in is on game like is said he would cant wait to see him fight again
Cladrix
8/26/07 10:08:13PM
GSP is pound for pound one of the best in the UFC... and he showed that by completely dominating Kos. He out wrestled Kos. No body has done that. The whole welterweight division better watch out because GSP is back and better than ever.
adamal
8/26/07 11:35:53PM
Remember on that preview show where Kos was like "GSP is gonna out wrestle me? That's my world" or something like that and he was being all cocky? (pun intended)

Well GSP did out wrestle Koscheck, and he did it on one leg!

Can't wait to see him fight Matt Hughes for the title again (after he beats Serra of course)
We_Todd_Did
8/27/07 12:01:58AM
After seeing that fight, I just can't help but wonder how well GSP would have done as a collegiate wrestler.Between that match and GSP/ Hughes 2, he has proven that his TD defense is absolutely unreal.
roadking95th
8/27/07 12:33:45AM
Unlike most, if not all, people, I did not see Rush dominate Kos in wrestling. Let's look at Rush's two takedowns. The first came after a poor leg kick by Kos. He still took down a good wrestler, but I wouldn't call it spectacular. On Rush's second takedown, I would have to give the cage more credit than Rush. Kos ran out of room to sprawl.

Kos's first takedown WAS awesome and explosive. His other attempt was stopped by superb balance by Rush.

On the ground Rush did hold Kos down, but Kos didn't do much. Kos did escape several times. If you are Kos you have to be careful of Rush's BJJ.

Who would you rather shoot on? Someone who has excellent striking or would you rather shoot against Kos?

Sometimes people get carried away. Yes Rush was a better wrestler that night. Did he dominate, I say no. If Kos had the striking of Rush, it would have been a different story.

I think several things can be taken from this fight. Rush is back and focused. Kos is very good, but not on Rush's level. Lastly, Rush's abilities in all aspects of MMA allow him to perform at a higher level, within each discipline, than his skill set would normally allow.
MMA
8/27/07 9:21:34AM
His 1st TD was skillfully done. He grabbed Koscheck's leg when he kicked and took him down with authority. I don't think Koscheck threw another leg kick the whole fight after that, lol.
Branwest
8/29/07 6:31:06PM
Even though I doubt it'll happen, I hope Serra beats Hughes so GSP will get a rematch with Serra and get revenge (and also because Serra is a better person and more respectful than Hughes.
But that probably won't happen (of coarse we all said he couldn't beat GSP either) and that'll still leave GSP vs. Hughes 3. They've each won one, who'll win this one? I think GSP. He's motivated, and his all-around game is among the best in mma. He knows how to put all his skillsets together to perform at the highest possible level.
After the Serra/Hughes fight, then the winner of that vs. GSP, then Karo may get his chance at the belt.
MondayNiteMauser
8/30/07 9:05:31AM
GSP is pound for pound better than anyone in the world and i truely believe that. He is still very young and will be welterweight champion for a long time once he gets it back from Serra/Hughes......(Most likely Hughes). GSP is a great fighter and has my respect as a fan...way more than matt hughes.
kaduey
8/30/07 10:08:58AM

Posted by roadking95th

Unlike most, if not all, people, I did not see Rush dominate Kos in wrestling. Let's look at Rush's two takedowns. The first came after a poor leg kick by Kos. He still took down a good wrestler, but I wouldn't call it spectacular. On Rush's second takedown, I would have to give the cage more credit than Rush. Kos ran out of room to sprawl.

Kos's first takedown WAS awesome and explosive. His other attempt was stopped by superb balance by Rush.

On the ground Rush did hold Kos down, but Kos didn't do much. Kos did escape several times. If you are Kos you have to be careful of Rush's BJJ.

Who would you rather shoot on? Someone who has excellent striking or would you rather shoot against Kos?

Sometimes people get carried away. Yes Rush was a better wrestler that night. Did he dominate, I say no. If Kos had the striking of Rush, it would have been a different story.

I think several things can be taken from this fight. Rush is back and focused. Kos is very good, but not on Rush's level. Lastly, Rush's abilities in all aspects of MMA allow him to perform at a higher level, within each discipline, than his skill set would normally allow.

I don't know I think controlling a fight for almost every second of a match looks like a dominating performance to me. The only thing KOs did was hold on and stay tight. And by the way Serra would beat Koscheck.
Jackelope
8/30/07 11:32:26AM

Posted by kaduey

I don't know I think controlling a fight for almost every second of a match looks like a dominating performance to me. The only thing KOs did was hold on and stay tight. And by the way Serra would beat Koscheck.

Koscheck was probably the same kind of wrestler in college/high school. The type to get a shoot, then a takedown and maybe a few near falls. Then just lay there stalling the whole match and win by points. I hated wrestling guys like that because usually they had their game plans down and they were damn good at executing them, but it was boring as hell to sit there and try to pry a guy off your legs the whole fight. Unfortunately that's how the wrestling game works a lot of the time and apparently Koscheck has translated it to MMA.

Down with Koscheck.
JimiMak
8/30/07 5:16:06PM
I just wanted to post to get my av on this forum, rofl
AlfredBorden
8/31/07 1:28:35AM
gsp dominated hughs their last bout. Serra got a few fluke swings in.. that wont happen again if they square off another time. I say hughs dominates serra in december then gsp beats hughs in what should be a hell of a fight. Rush is so well rounded and just outwrestled a dominent wrestler...hes gona hold the title for a long, long time
matthughes23
9/1/07 5:44:35AM
Even though i'm a big matt Hughes fan, i think GSP is one of the best in the world. He is head and shoulders the best welterweight in the world. i see hughes beating serra and then GSP beats hughes. I think GSP will then go on to hold the belt for a very long time
Tailgunner
9/1/07 11:42:52PM

Posted by JimiMak

I just wanted to post to get my av on this forum, rofl

Hang on to that Avatar..........because thats the last time you will ever see Serra beat anyone in the top ten.

Serra got real lucky and EVERYONE knows it (including Serra), unfortunately Hughes is gonna b*tchslap Serra in December so GSP won't be able to avenge that embarssing loss to such a lesser fighter like Serra.

GSP will then beat Hughes and dominate the WW division.

We will never hear from Serra again after December.
MattHughes
9/2/07 1:12:01AM
I don't see anybody stopping GSP on his way to the title.
Ranman8907
9/2/07 1:21:59AM
man. why does everyone like to talk crap about fighters?? its kinda like saying what the president did wrong. lol yea but anyways..

gsp did dominate. in all aspects. i knew hed be a better wrestler. go look at the other forum. besides that, kos was so supprised he mentally gave up. look at some of the headlines about him congratulating gsp in the third round. who the hell does that? a mentally broken fighter. thats who.

this serra thing. come on ppl. i know that everyone says he got lucky, and it only happened because the show, but it did. and hes the champ. look at hughes/penn 2. hughes had some trouble with bj but since bj was rushed and then broke a rib goin into an armbar transition, hughes won. serra has some good boxing, and or may throw a few good kicks, and his ground game is siiick. so come on. if you think about it, hughes is at a disadvantage.
Pages: [1] 2