Griffin/Rampage Fightmetric Stats

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Griffin/Rampage Fightmetric Stats
ncordless
7/6/08 8:24:19AM
Let me say that I don't think this really proves anything. I am posting it because I think it's interesting and helps show how close the fight really was. For those who can't sort through the graphs and numbers... it had a round by round 47-47 draw using fightmetrics and an overall score of Jackson 299/Forrest 277 using fightmetrics.

Again, take it for what it's worth, which is nothing more than one way to break down that fight.

fightmetrics
FrankTheTank1181
7/6/08 8:51:53AM
They have Rampage landing 0 punches in Round 2? Was that the round Forrest was laying on him pretty much doin nothing?
Aether
7/6/08 9:03:02AM
that was round #2 yeah but I don't think you can say he was doing "nothing". He might not have finished but he was definitely dropping a few elbows, smothering him, and tiring him out while continually improving position from guard, to half, to side control, to mount.

I thought the round could easily be score 10-8, and I agree with the breakdown in this link.
Aaronno9
7/6/08 9:03:35AM

Posted by FrankTheTank1181

They have Rampage landing 0 punches in Round 2? Was that the round Forrest was laying on him pretty much doin nothing?

Forrest might not of been dropping bombs but he was using short elbows and punchs the full time he was mounted, aswell as looking for subs.
Matimus
7/6/08 10:14:18AM
grinding elbows are just as effective as elbow smashes lol
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/6/08 10:20:26AM
What a good morning- FORREST THE NEW LIGHTHEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION.
I don't wanna here the fight was fixed(this isn't hollywood).
Forrest won and he's my favorite fighter has been for 4 years, I knew who he was going into the ultimate fighter house, I picked him there and every fight since.
It's a good day!
Matimus
7/6/08 10:44:30AM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

I don't wanna here the fight was fixed(this isn't hollywood).

no, its Vegas, even worse!
RampageOwnedYou
7/6/08 11:17:20AM
well it was bullshit either way!
No way in hell should Rampage lose a belt, the way he did...the judges f'd him and stole his belt. How in the hell did they have it scored the way they did.
Does Dana White have any clue on how bad he looks like Don King?!?!?!
Aether
7/6/08 11:27:52AM
I think that's a little bit extreme and might have something to do with your name and avatar....

Like I said I think it was probably a draw, or at least too close to take the belt away, but to say he was "****** over" or that it was fixed is just going way over the top. It's a highly debatable decision, but it's not really a BAD decision.
RampageOwnedYou
7/6/08 11:41:43AM

I think that's a little bit extreme and might have something to do with your name and avatar....

I have no problem with Rampage losing. But did he lose that bad? 30-28!?!?? Common.

No way in hell should the belt be taken, and rampage with a lose.
It happened.

A) Because the judges are f'd in the head, or they got money on Forrest

or

b) Dana wants Forrest to be the new man, because Rampage has had enough spolight, and cant add more fans to the UFC.

Hmmm
lets ponder that for the day!!
MMA_MESSIAH
7/6/08 11:43:07AM
I was hoping Forrest would win but I put my $ on Page. I still believe that Rampage won that fight. I hoe that Forrest holds on to the belt for a while he is a good guy and deserves to be a champion; but last night should not have been the day he became champion. I truly hope that we could get judges that have an MMA background of some sort. I just have never been comfortable with boxing judges scoring MMA . And the 10 point must system has to go.
MMA_MESSIAH
7/6/08 11:53:05AM

b) Dana wants Forrest to be the new man, because Rampage has had enough spolight, and cant add more fans to the UFC.

Hmmm
lets ponder that for the day!!

I heard a whole lot of people saying that this is starting to look as corrupt as boxing. Now if that is coming from a bunch of casual fans in a bar/grill; I wonder what is going on in the minds of other UFC fighters after watching that fight?
If crappy decisions continue I could see "the fastest growing sport" slowing down.
I hope that MMA has learned from boxing's mistakes.
kopower
7/6/08 11:54:38AM
Forrest won the fight. Not by as much as the judges had it but after watching it a second time I agree with the decision. Yeah it sucks for a champ to lose a belt that way but Forrest was the one pushing the pace the entire fight, that seems to account for a lot in decisions.
juanez13
7/6/08 11:59:08AM
here are how the judges scored the fight if anyone is interested

Adalaide Byrd scored the fight 48-46. He gave 4 and 5 to Jackson and Griffin 1, 2, and 3.

Nelson Hamilton had it 48-46, with 1 and 4 for Jackson, and Griffin getting 2 10-8.

Roy Silbert had it 49-46 with only round 4 for Jackson.

Darnok
7/6/08 12:55:01PM
I thought it should have been a Draw

Rampage - Griffin
10 - 9
8 - 10
10 - 9
9 - 10
10 - 9

Total 47 - 47

And that is exactly what Fight Metric had.

I wish they could use Fight Metric at ringside, it always seems to have the right decision in my opinion.
Aether
7/6/08 12:56:41PM
lol I'm an idiot nevermind this post.
Jackelope
7/6/08 12:57:59PM

Posted by Darnok

Rampage - Griffin
10 - 9
8 - 10
10 - 9
9 - 10
10 - 9

Total 47 - 47

I wish they could use Fight Metric at ringside, it always seems to have the right decision in my opinion.

This is how I scored the fight, as well. I'm re-watching it with no sound on to try to get a better look without a crowd/announcer bias right now. I might have to give round 1 to Forrest but the rest has stayed the same. Main thing is that 95% of Forrest's combinations are blocked by Rampage, and hardly any of Rampage's combinations are blocked by Forrest.
Matimus
7/6/08 1:03:28PM

Posted by RampageOwnedYou

Does Dana White have any clue on how bad he looks like Don King?!?!?!

more like Don Rickles

Figsak
7/6/08 1:11:59PM
Nailed it
Darnok
7/6/08 2:42:02PM
Exactly. Rampage was doing way more damage and connecting way more often.
chickmagnet
7/6/08 2:56:55PM
Everyone should stop cryin about it because who came out with the W???
Forrest. All of the biased Rampage nuthugging fans can take it as they want. They can cry themselves to sleep for all I care. Forrest clearly won the 2nd round 10-8, the 4th and 5th 10-9. Arguably Forrest couldve won the third with a submission attempt and kicks.

WAR FORREST!!!
MaxOne
7/6/08 3:01:58PM
this is the first ufc fight (since zuffa took over) where it seemed fixed to me. bisping just seemed bad but this seemed fixed. during the fight the commentary was strange. it was like they wanted us to think griffin was winning even when was getting tagged with solid shots.

I remember when I first thought I was being set up to see Griffin walk away with the belt. Rampage landed a nice shot that wobbled griffin around the same time griffin connected with weak shot on rampage. Joe said something like "great right by griffin"

I was like...did Joe not just see Forrest get rocked?
GrandMaster313
7/6/08 3:50:50PM

Posted by ncordless

Let me say that I don't think this really proves anything. I am posting it because I think it's interesting and helps show how close the fight really was. For those who can't sort through the graphs and numbers... it had a round by round 47-47 draw using fightmetrics and an overall score of Jackson 299/Forrest 277 using fightmetrics.

Again, take it for what it's worth, which is nothing more than one way to break down that fight.

fightmetrics

I agree. I dont see where they got a Unanimous decision from this fight. I had Rampage by split decision because it looked like he landed more punches through the fight. At the VERY most i could see it being a draw.

Just before the fight started i was talking about how People's was not going to be judging this fight and how happy I was. Well I guess it didnt matter. Bad call by the officials I think they dropped the ball on this one.
pharside
7/6/08 4:29:24PM
i just watched the fight for the 3rd time I still see it like this

10-9 rampage
9-10 Griffin
9-10 Griffin
10-9 Rampage
9-10 Griffin

The 5th was close but Forrest had more clean shots in the 5th no one had any major shots in the 5th an Griffin was a little more busy.
Sam_Rothstein
7/6/08 7:52:06PM
Personally im not even so confident rampage won the first round that everyone gave him

Other then a big shot at the end of the round forrest controlled picked him apart

Im not sure why everyone is mad, even rampage admits he lost that fight
cmill21
7/6/08 7:59:12PM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Personally im not even so confident rampage won the first round that everyone gave him

Other then a big shot at the end of the round forrest controlled picked him apart

Big shot, and had him down and controlled for a good minuet, other then that the round was about even so why woulden't you score it for him? Also what is Rampage supposed to do, say I was robbed, look like a poor loser and be booed out of the arena? I garentee he felt he won that fight. The fans there showed how they felt about that decision by booing it. Fight should have either been a razor sharp decision for Rampage or a draw IMO.
ncordless
7/6/08 8:03:40PM

Posted by chickmagnet

Everyone should stop cryin about it because who came out with the W???
Forrest. All of the biased Rampage nuthugging fans can take it as they want. They can cry themselves to sleep for all I care. Forrest clearly won the 2nd round 10-8, the 4th and 5th 10-9. Arguably Forrest couldve won the third with a submission attempt and kicks.

WAR FORREST!!!

There was no submission attempt in the third round. What are you talking about
DevonFoxy
7/6/08 8:09:50PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Big shot, and had him down and controlled for a good minuet, other then that the round was about even so why woulden't you score it for him? Also what is Rampage supposed to do, say I was robbed, look like a poor loser and be booed out of the arena? I garentee he felt he won that fight. The fans there showed how they felt about that decision by booing it. Fight should have either been a razor sharp decision for Rampage or a draw IMO.

I couldn't agree more with this. Rampage said in his post fight interview he thought he won the fight. I just have to keep hoping they take the judges away from the crowd....that and judges that come from a committee of fighters that actually have been in a fight or of refs. Sadly I don't think anything will help so I play a sad violin.
Lord_Lenny
7/6/08 8:18:51PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Darnok

Rampage - Griffin
10 - 9
8 - 10
10 - 9
9 - 10
10 - 9

Total 47 - 47

This is how I scored the fight, as well. I'm re-watching it with no sound on to try to get a better look without a crowd/announcer bias right now. I might have to give round 1 to Forrest but the rest has stayed the same. Main thing is that 95% of Forrest's combinations are blocked by Rampage, and hardly any of Rampage's combinations are blocked by Forrest.

you guys honestly have Forrest winning round 4? are you sure you dont mean round 5?
Sam_Rothstein
7/7/08 1:09:30AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I couldn't agree more with this. Rampage said in his post fight interview he thought he won the fight. I just have to keep hoping they take the judges away from the crowd....that and judges that come from a committee of fighters that actually have been in a fight or of refs. Sadly I don't think anything will help so I play a sad violin.

I gotta disagree. Even though rampages shots had bad intentions in them forrests shots were landing more. Those leg kicks he had been throwing in the first round paid off by the 2nd round as everyone saw

So i mean i can understand if you think he won the first round because of the punch and controlling him on the ground for the last minute. I just dont agree with you that the fight was even before that punch that took forrest to the ground

If he was really just being graceful about the loss and thought he actually won then maybe he should of came through with his promise and not of let the fight go 5 rounds.

Forrest wasnt standing in there and trading with him but he certainly was being nowhere near as elusive as machida. It seemed to me that forrest was engaging a lot more with his combos while rampage sat back in a few rounds and waited to land a knockout counter punch.

Forrest shots were mostly for points but they were landing. Rampage was swinging for the fences and when they landed they did damage. Forrest just did a great job at defending a lot of those shots. When i looked at replays after the rounds forrest did a great job of ducking and moving away from punches that looked like they were landing in the heat of the fight