Griffin vs Jackson Decision

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Griffin vs Jackson Decision
Boo_Radley21
9/30/11 3:20:36PM
When I first watched the fight live, and all the way up until yesterday I thought that Forrest definitely won the fight. But I watched it yesterday and I actually think it could legitimately have been called a draw. I remember when it happened there was a lot of arguing on both sides saying who won, and really it could have gone either way, but I don't remember a lot suggesting draws. Here's how I had it.. (not gonna go into detail cause I was high as shit both times i watched the fight and can;t remember every detail, just what i though after every round)

Jackson won round one..knockdown and a lot more significant strikes thrown

Griffin won round two by 10/8..hurt his leg put in a choke and had him on the ground within a minute or so and kept him there all round and got the mount.

Jackson won round 3 - it was close but I gave him the slight edge.

(So after 3 rounds I have it at a draw 28-28)

Jackson won round 4 with again but not by much just with his strikes thrown and getting him down.. yea forrest had a triangle but he was picked up out of it and was held down for a while. Jackson is attacking more on the feet but Griffin is also landing some strikes. Nothing really has anything behind it though

Round 5 was the closest of the fight and the deciding round for me..I gave a very slight edge to Griffin because Jackson didn't land many or any power shots, and Griffin pressed the action for most of the round with combos and kicks. But again just a very slight edge.

This makes it a draw for me, but the last round really was a tossup and could have gone either way. So i take back all I said since the fight about Grififn winning. It was either a draw or a Rampage win. But nevertheless it was a badass fight, definitely in my top 5 of all time.

I know it was an old fight but it was on my mind sorry for beating a dead horse

Thoughts?
Chael_Sonnen
9/30/11 3:34:49PM
No question, Forrest won.
Pookie
9/30/11 4:34:20PM
I can not agree with anyone that gave Griffin three rounds in that fight.

A draw or Rampage winning is how i see it, depending on the 10-8 round and how you score the final round. But for sure, i think Rampage easily won the 1,3,&4 rounds.
Poor_Franklin
9/30/11 6:33:29PM
thought it was a draw that night. still think it's a draw.

i thought that was a true definition of a fight where although the champion did not win, the challenger did not do enough to be considered the new champion.

to be the champ, you gotta beat the champ, & in my eyes, forrest did not beat him.

DRAW!
ghandikush
9/30/11 7:09:05PM
I thought forrest won. The only offense landed by rampage was a couple knockdowns.
sbulldavid
9/30/11 10:39:41PM
I was very surprised when they read the decision but it was definitely a close fight.
kingsmasher
10/1/11 3:10:18AM
i remmeber watching and thinking at the end Ramapage won...but i need to rewatch...but in the end post fight rampage said forrset kicked his ass and that enough for me...Rampage was hobbled... if a fighter says he was beat gotta go with that if he says he thgouht he won well diff story
prozacnation1978
10/1/11 11:38:51AM
i was there
i dont think forrest did enough to take the belt away
it was as close as you can get just like machida vs shogun
sparky
10/1/11 3:06:08PM
Rampage won that fight very close fight though.... this is a rematch I'm actually interested in!!!!!!!
Pookie
10/1/11 5:12:23PM

Posted by ghandikush

I thought forrest won. The only offense landed by rampage was a couple knockdowns.

I actually felt like most of what Forrest threw was parried or dodged. I think they landed a similar amount of strikes in the fight. Forrest just pressured and missed more.
Kpro
10/2/11 1:07:11AM
I remember having it a draw when it happened but I haven't seen it since I watched it live so I can't really comment on it at all as I'd have to watch it again to remember the rounds.

I'm a very very firm believer that you have to beat the champ to be the champ

As I've said before, not that judges use them anyways, but if a round is in the judges opinion a 10-10, it should go 10-9 to the champ in title fights. I hate close fights that go to decision that lead to the title changing hands. You should have to beat the champ, not have fans and even other fighters be 50/50 on who won and have the challenger get the title.
40ouncetpkid
10/2/11 1:19:05AM
Ridiculous scoring, Nobody thought forrest had a 10-8 round til one of the judges had it but now they wanna act like they scored it 10-8 when really they just wanted forrest to win. Rampage won 3 rounds, he should have been champ, then knocked rashad out in 08.
ghandikush
10/2/11 9:59:51PM

Posted by Kpro

I remember having it a draw when it happened but I haven't seen it since I watched it live so I can't really comment on it at all as I'd have to watch it again to remember the rounds.

I'm a very very firm believer that you have to beat the champ to be the champ

As I've said before, not that judges use them anyways, but if a round is in the judges opinion a 10-10, it should go 10-9 to the champ in title fights. I hate close fights that go to decision that lead to the title changing hands. You should have to beat the champ, not have fans and even other fighters be 50/50 on who won and have the challenger get the title.

I think the problem is champs feel less pressure to finish/perform then. But yeah to me there should be a lot more draws in this sport.
Boo_Radley21
10/5/11 3:38:57PM

Posted by 40ouncetpkid

Ridiculous scoring, Nobody thought forrest had a 10-8 round til one of the judges had it but now they wanna act like they scored it 10-8 when really they just wanted forrest to win. Rampage won 3 rounds, he should have been champ, then knocked rashad out in 08.

You can't honestly say you didn't think that was a 10-8 round...Rampage layed on his back for 4 minutes... he didn't land a strike. he got crippled and put in a sub in the first minute. what more can he do