Greg Jackson responds to Dana and the fans:

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Greg Jackson responds to Dana and the fans:
Next Page »
Shawn91111
8/23/12 9:27:38PM

While UFC president Dana White was tossing several expletives at MMA trainer Greg Jackson during a special conference call on Thursday, Jackson was doing his best to defend himself on The MMA Show with Mauro Ranallo.
White took issue with Jackson telling UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to turn down a fight with Chael Sonnen at UFC 151 after Dan Henderson was forced to pull out with a knee injury. Jackson explained his decision process on the radio show.

"I was asked if it was smart to take a fight on three days (due to media obligations and weight cutting) notice, and I didn't think it's smart to do that," Jackson said (thanks to Bloody Elbow for transcribing). "Three days to fight a guy that caliber (of Sonnen) is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but I thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

LINK
Shawn91111
8/23/12 9:29:09PM
Weight cutting and media obligations? He was already training for a fight on the same day Greg. What a lame excuse. How does going from Hendo to Sonnen affect your weight cut? Sonnen was the no. 2 Middleweight, Hendo was the no. 2 LHW. Sonnen wasn't even in camp and would use the 8 days to cut weight.
george112
8/23/12 9:35:00PM
All I got from that was Greg Jackson making lame excuses
postman
8/23/12 9:46:00PM
Gregs word isn't THE WORD. I can't fault the guy he feels the way he feels. Its well know Greg is a cautious man I can see this as his legit feelings. If he said he wouldn't corner for that fight then I would have an issue.
deck15
8/23/12 9:47:39PM
The sad thing is they have some of the same skills hendo just has a lot better hands and Jones would only have to stop his takedowns its not like he was going from Hendo to some great kick boxer or bjj world champ. His last 2 camps were for good wrestlers
Wallass
8/23/12 9:59:49PM
If I was Jones I'd have taken the fight just so Chael wouldn't have time to smack talk whereas now he's got Chael on his heels till at least 2013.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 9:59:59PM
Greg Jackson didn't cancel the event.
Bubbles
8/23/12 10:14:52PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

he sure as hell didn't help it
prophecy033
8/23/12 10:32:51PM

Posted by Bubbles

Jackson told Jones not to.do it which made Jones not take it which lead Dana to cancel. Those 3 all made the situation what it is at the moment
postman
8/23/12 10:32:52PM

Posted by deck15

The sad thing is they have some of the same skills hendo just has a lot better hands and Jones would only have to stop his takedowns its not like he was going from Hendo to some great kick boxer or bjj world champ. His last 2 camps were for good wrestlers

Dan Henderson hasn't hit many double legs not Sonnen Style anyway.
george112
8/23/12 10:36:41PM
Dana canceled the event because Jones didn't take the fight with Sonnen.

Greg gave his opinion and Jones obviously heeded it.

That's all fine and dandy. But the fact remains that the card could have been saved by Jones.

I haven't heard a legitimate excuse yet as to why not to take the fight.

So far the most popular excuses are

1. Sonnen doesn't deserve it.

WHO CARES!!! The fans want to see it!

2. Jones hasn't prepared for Sonnen

Really?? I'm not even going to repeat what everyone has already said about full fight camp and what not

AND that's basically it. If I left out any excuses or reasons please by all means add/correct any

Fighters shouldnt get to choose who they fight . Point blank. The fighters are employees. And they should do what their boss tells them to do or face repercussions.

I WISH I could walk in to work tomorrow and pick and choose what I want to do that day.

You can thank Anderson Silva for this surge in trend imo

And yeah you can go into the whole well its what's best for the fighter blah blah blah but guess what its mixed martial arts. You fight for a living.

These dudes are just so money hungry these days its not even funny. Guys have done the same thing as him on shorter notice and their the guys stepping in! Jones wasn't even the one stepping in!

It's a shame. Pre 2007 this stuff didn't happen.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 10:38:47PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

Jackson told Jones not to.do it which made Jones not take it which lead Dana to cancel. Those 3 all made the situation what it is at the moment

Dana didn't have to cancel it.

Not Greg's job to help Dana. Like Steve Mazz said, "I don't work for Dana."
papercut
8/23/12 10:49:10PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Bubbles

Dana didn't have to cancel it.

Not Greg's job to help Dana. Like Steve Mazz said, "I don't work for Dana."

Greg doesn't work for dana, Jones does.
tcunningham
8/23/12 10:58:34PM
i could see how this excuse would work if it wasnt chael. as good as chael is, he hasn't even made his LHW debut yet, he's coming off a loss, and he would be taking this on an extremely short notice. i just cant justify this decision. on top of all that, if jones is such a great champion, he definitely turned down a chance to prove that by not saving this PPV.

if he really is the most dominate champ, he would have taken this. its not like chael is a KO artist, we all know what chael's game is, and so does jon.
MALICE
8/23/12 11:02:38PM

Posted by george112

Dana canceled the event because Jones didn't take the fight with Sonnen.

Greg gave his opinion and Jones obviously heeded it.

That's all fine and dandy. But the fact remains that the card could have been saved by Jones.

I haven't heard a legitimate excuse yet as to why not to take the fight.

So far the most popular excuses are

1. Sonnen doesn't deserve it.

WHO CARES!!! The fans want to see it!

2. Jones hasn't prepared for Sonnen

Really?? I'm not even going to repeat what everyone has already said about full fight camp and what not

AND that's basically it. If I left out any excuses or reasons please by all means add/correct any

Fighters shouldnt get to choose who they fight . Point blank. The fighters are employees. And they should do what their boss tells them to do or face repercussions.

I WISH I could walk in to work tomorrow and pick and choose what I want to do that day.

You can thank Anderson Silva for this surge in trend imo

And yeah you can go into the whole well its what's best for the fighter blah blah blah but guess what its mixed martial arts. You fight for a living.

These dudes are just so money hungry these days its not even funny. Guys have done the same thing as him on shorter notice and their the guys stepping in! Jones wasn't even the one stepping in!

It's a shame. Pre 2007 this stuff didn't happen.

Exactly. Like I posted in another thread, name the present and past champions who would turn down a fight which would result in the cancellation of an entire card. I can think of one certain and one possible( due to recent comments).

Jones
Bendo (possibly)

No, Jackson did not cancel the card.
No, Jones did not cancel the card.

But they certainly had the power to save the card and chose not to. Lincoln did not have to free the slaves, but he had the power to do so and did so selflessly. Why? Because it was the right thing to do.

LuckyCharms
8/23/12 11:11:21PM
Agree with the rest of ya'll. Jones should've taken the fight.The reason why Jones should have taken the fight, have already been discussed earlier.

Champ or No-champ, fight the best or the fight that UFC puts in front of you. Especially when the fight is in your FAVOR !

I just hope that UFC doesn't turn into boxing where Fighters and Mangers pick and chose their opponents.
Twenty20Dollars
8/23/12 11:16:47PM
Dana holds the only power to cancel the event and I guess keeping the card wasn't an option. The Patriots didn't forfeit their season when they lost Tom Brady.

8 days is pretty extreme circumstances. This isn't like other sports.

The other fighters should be pissed more than any fans, but fans are blowing it up.
bjj1605
8/24/12 12:06:54AM

Right.....

But Chael Sonnen would also be taking a fight on 8 days notice.

More importantly, Jon Jones would already have had a full camp preparing for a guy who (buy all accounts) is a much more dangerous challenger to Jones.

Chael hasn't had a full camp. He would ACTUALLY be fighting on 8 days notice.

Jones wasn't asked to take a fight on short notice. He was asked to switch opponents on short notice. Big difference.
Franklinfan47
8/24/12 12:21:23AM

"Three days to fight a guy that caliber (of Sonnen) is not a smart thing to do. I'm not trying to ruin the sport or cancel an event. I don't know about that stuff, but I thought it wasn't a wise course of action."

You already had a full training camp Sonnen was the one who didnt.

MMAcca
8/24/12 12:23:14AM

Posted by LuckyCharms

I just hope that UFC doesn't turn into boxing where Fighters and Mangers pick and chose their opponents.

Judging by what has happened tonight/last night i think we are already seeing this happen.
Adrenaline
8/24/12 12:25:30AM

Now before the angry mob accuses me of fighter bashing, I don't hold the same sentiment as the picture, its just too hilarious not to share.

gartface
8/24/12 12:49:54AM

Dana holds the only power to cancel the event and I guess keeping the card wasn't an option. The Patriots didn't forfeit their season when they lost Tom Brady.

The other fighters should be pissed more than any fans, but fans are blowing it up.

A lot of fans already purchased the pay per-view in advance or made plans, purchased event tickets, plane tickets, and took time off of work. The fans have every single right in the world to be upset with Jon Jones for that.

From Dana's perspective, is it worth all of the operational costs to put on an event where the headliner is Hieron vs. Ellenberger? Will that event yield the type of return that they want/need as an organization? I'm not sure, but I'd say that it probably wouldn't.

As someone above said, the 8 days shouldn't be the issue. Jones could have asked for it to not be a title fight and then taken the fight against a fighter that was obviously more ill-prepared than him. As we've seen the past few weeks, Jones is all about the money, and I can't remember who said it, but he is an athlete, and sure as hell isn't a fighter. I respect the hell out of Chael Sonnen for stepping up like that, and being seemingly the only one. Just a shame Jones couldn't be the tough guy he normally is against a middleweight.
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/12 1:17:28AM
I just want people to realize that Dana could have still put this event on Jones or not.

Yes, it could not put up great numbers, but people that already bought their tickets could still go. Sometimes you might have to take a hit. Or if they could broadcast the already FX portion and then the rest of facebook.

Dana made a business decision just like Jones did.

8 days still has to have some affect on anyone with a full training camp at least mentally. Unless preparing for every fight against anyone is the same.

No one is in Jon's spot, so it's easy to just say he should do this and do that.
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/12 1:25:34AM

Posted by bjj1605

Right.....

More importantly, Jon Jones would already have had a full camp preparing for a guy who (buy all accounts) is a much more dangerous challenger to Jones.

Jones wasn't asked to take a fight on short notice. He was asked to switch opponents on short notice. Big difference.

It's still a new fight for Jones. And hard for any of us to know what it's like b/c we're not fighters or in that position.
Manak
8/24/12 1:52:09AM

Posted by bjj1605

Right.....

It's still a new fight for Jones. And hard for any of us to know what it's like b/c we're not fighters or in that position.

yea but we are also not taking about being the greatest ever at our job and making insane amount of money. jones was the one all week talking about being great and more money then doesn't back up his talk. you can't talk about breaking records then say no that guy is too much of risk to fight. that is all on jones; he set him self up for the hate after all the talk these past weeks. tell me where chael has the edge?? at least hendo has the h-bomb but chael is a grind you out type of wrestle at MIDDLEWEIGHT 20LBS LESS THAN JON JONES.. jones has the adv every expect for in his pants.
Twenty20Dollars
8/24/12 2:11:22AM

Posted by Manak

yea but we are also not taking about being the greatest ever at our job and making insane amount of money. jones was the one all week talking about being great and more money then doesn't back up his talk. you can't talk about breaking records then say no that guy is too much of risk to fight. that is all on jones; he set him self up for the hate after all the talk these past weeks. tell me where chael has the edge?? at least hendo has the h-bomb but chael is a grind you out type of wrestle at MIDDLEWEIGHT 20LBS LESS THAN JON JONES.. jones has the adv every expect for in his pants.

Well the money stuff he was talking about matched up with his decision he made.

Sonnen would still be a dangerous grappler/wrestler for Jones and could be at LHW too not just MW. Sonnen's weight would still be as like MW during the fight, 230 or so.
prozacnation1978
8/24/12 2:33:23AM
Jackson influenced didn't help at all
So yes he is at fault as well. Doesnt matter how it went down. When they talk about 151 years from now Jon Jones name will be with it as the guy who didn't do the right thing for fans and fighters for this event
jlock003
8/24/12 2:59:35AM
Here is the deal...first off I've had one or twelve too many beers to read all of your posts so this probably takes away from my journalistic credibility, but in reading Jackson's comments and listening to Dana....Greg comes out looking much better in the end. Don't get me wrong I see loads of flaws in his logic too, but he gave credit where credit was due, said he appreciated Dana and had no hard feelings, and made a decent argument. I don't like the decision to not fight (even more complicated with Lyoto not wanting the fight from the headlines I haven't quite read yet) but Jackson sounds way more composed than Dana....of course I guess Jackson didn't just lose 20 mil for his company in the process lol.

***20 mil is strictly an indeterminate amount of money poster suggested as a loss and does not in anyway represent the actual amount of funds ZUFFA LLC has spent, or lost on the lost UFC 151 card.
scoozna
8/24/12 9:07:33AM

I didn't know they had (the entire card) riding on one fight.

1. I find it very difficult to believe that Dana/Lorenzo (whomever) AT SOME POINT failed to tell Jackson and Jones that they would be calling off the ENTIRE event if they couldn't get Jones to fight. IT WAS THAT IMPORTANT.
2. I find it very difficult to believe that the UFC couldn't have worked out a special exemption for Jones and Chael (or Lyoto) so that they could get out of their "media obligations" prior to the fight.

While Jackson gets grown-up points for not name calling and using foul language, his statements just seem lame, lame, lame.
TheCatFather
8/24/12 12:10:44PM
Shame on you Jackson, you know he would of been prepared all he has to do is double up on the pinching of nipples and rubbing of his head
Pages: [1] 2