Greatest Upset in UFC history

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Greatest Upset in UFC history
Next Page »
chickmagnet
10/28/07 6:46:26PM
Thoughts? I think Gonzaga over Cro Cop or maybe
Serra over GSP, Griffin over Rua i thought was unbelievable.
fedorwins1
10/28/07 6:48:01PM
Serra over GSP IMO. A blown up LW was to fight the most dominate fighter in the WW div. No one and I mean no one thought it would end in 1st rd ko....

Still makes me mad thinking about it
Jackelope
10/28/07 7:14:36PM
well they've all happened within the past year lol
HulkRage
10/28/07 7:30:06PM
Serra KOing GSP is up there, but there have been alot of them in the past, but after the fact they turn out that they were not so much of an upset. (i.e. alot of Cotoure's fights)
Mastodon2
10/28/07 7:39:59PM
Cro Cop getting KO'd by Gonzaga. The sheer magnitude of this upset just illustrated how out of the game Cro Cop was in UFC, it's quite clear that, at least before that fight, he didn't really give a damn how he trained, or whether he won or lost.
MALICE
10/28/07 7:56:53PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Cro Cop getting KO'd by Gonzaga. The sheer magnitude of this upset just illustrated how out of the game Cro Cop was in UFC, it's quite clear that, at least before that fight, he didn't really give a damn how he trained, or whether he won or lost.

An upset is the defeat of an opponent that is considered more formidable by most minds. In Cro Cop's case, many people had already lost faith in him, and didn't see him as the clear favorite. In GSP's case, undoubtedly, almost everybody believed he was the heavy favorite. Therefore, Serra's upset over GSP is far greater than Gonzaga's upset over Cro Cop.
Mastodon2
10/28/07 7:58:50PM
What are you on about lost faith in Cro Cop, the fairweather fans didn't jump off the bandwagon until GG knocked him out, forgetting that Randleman and Jason McDonald (a guy who 99.9% of forum members have probably not heard of) KO'd him ages ago. He was expected to destroy GG, as evidenced by the hundreds of "How is Randy vs CC gonna go down?" threads.
tuvok500
10/28/07 8:04:49PM
Serra over GSP !! easy to choose here !!

the cro cop fight was an upset but if you remenber correctly, many fighters like couture himself was having GG winner before the fight, because of the fact that cro cop is a 1 dimentional fighter and GG is a strong and big guy who can take you down and summit or GNP you to the defeat !!

the surprise was the way GG won but not the result !! well, compare to GSP / Serra !!!

SpiderSilva
10/28/07 8:15:09PM
true true true
I was telling all my friends how CC was gonna be the next champ be cause he could win i in prideFC but would come over and destroy everyone
well CC lost and lost again its too bad
Ultimate_fighter
10/28/07 8:18:14PM
shogun getting choked out by griffin..... he made shogun look like a no-body
MALICE
10/28/07 8:22:12PM

Posted by Mastodon2

What are you on about lost faith in Cro Cop, the fairweather fans didn't jump off the bandwagon until GG knocked him out, forgetting that Randleman and Jason McDonald (a guy who 99.9% of forum members have probably not heard of) KO'd him ages ago. He was expected to destroy GG, as evidenced by the hundreds of "How is Randy vs CC gonna go down?" threads.

I guess we'll start a poll than.
ohiostate1016
10/28/07 8:44:34PM
Serra over GSP, becuae GSP was, and is, at the top of his game. None of the other guys are really at the top of their game. Serra wasn't even a top 15 WW. Forrest was at least top 15, and he's in his prime.

cmill21
10/28/07 11:43:37PM

Posted by xxMALICExx

Posted by Mastodon2

An upset is the defeat of an opponent that is considered more formidable by most minds. In Cro Cop's case, many people had already lost faith in him, and didn't see him as the clear favorite. In GSP's case, undoubtedly, almost everybody believed he was the heavy favorite. Therefore, Serra's upset over GSP is far greater than Gonzaga's upset over Cro Cop.

Lost faith? The man had just won the OWGP, he looked unstoppable.
MMALifer
10/29/07 12:45:41AM
Exactly!

I thought GSP was the favorite but not by enough to win for sure. I thought Forest had absolutely no chance here. Shogun completly demolished Rampage.
ChokeUout
10/29/07 12:58:18AM
What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Yeah, lots of upsets this year...Serra over GSP, HOuston over Keith, Keith over Chuck, GG over CC, Forrest Over Shogun, Ect...

BUT...

I thought the title of the thread was "Greatest Upset in UFC HISTORY?"

Have you guys forgot about these fights?:

Lauzon over Pulver
Sylvia over Rodriguez
Randy over Vitor
Randy Over Chuck
Randy over Tito
BJ over Hughes
Lambert Over Babalu
Maurice Smith over Mark Coleman
David Terrell Over Matt Lindland
Randy over Sylvia
Pete Sell over Phil Baroni
Pulver over Penn (And I'm gonna smack the first person who says "But BJ beat Jens on the TUF 5 Finale" without giving reference to UFC 35)

And I haven't even touched on The shockwave a scrawny Brazilian named Royce Gracie sent through everyone when he beat up those bigger, stronger opponets using something nobody heard of Called Jiu-jitsu back at UFC 1, 2, 3, and 4

I mean seriously, you guys are WAAAAAAAAAAY too short termed with your picks here.

Seriously, C'mon. Randy Couture's Name hasn't been mentioned ONCE in a "Best upset in UFC history" thread?

Did you guys just start following the UFC in the last 6 months or some shit? Pathetic thread so far. We're talking best upsets in UFC HISTORY. The UFC has been around since '93, It's had around 100 events counting fight nights, TUF finales, Ultimate japan, Unlimate Brazil, etc. And all you knuckleheads can talk about is Serra, Gonzaga anf Forrest?

Disgusting...Do some research, guys
chickmagnet
10/29/07 3:19:55PM

Posted by ChokeUout

What the hell is wrong with you guys?

Yeah, lots of upsets this year...Serra over GSP, HOuston over Keith, Keith over Chuck, GG over CC, Forrest Over Shogun, Ect...

BUT...

I thought the title of the thread was "Greatest Upset in UFC HISTORY?"

Have you guys forgot about these fights?:

Lauzon over Pulver
Sylvia over Rodriguez
Randy over Vitor
Randy Over Chuck
Randy over Tito
BJ over Hughes
Lambert Over Babalu
Maurice Smith over Mark Coleman
David Terrell Over Matt Lindland
Randy over Sylvia
Pete Sell over Phil Baroni
Pulver over Penn (And I'm gonna smack the first person who says "But BJ beat Jens on the TUF 5 Finale" without giving reference to UFC 35)

And I haven't even touched on The shockwave a scrawny Brazilian named Royce Gracie sent through everyone when he beat up those bigger, stronger opponets using something nobody heard of Called Jiu-jitsu back at UFC 1, 2, 3, and 4

I mean seriously, you guys are WAAAAAAAAAAY too short termed with your picks here.

Seriously, C'mon. Randy Couture's Name hasn't been mentioned ONCE in a "Best upset in UFC history" thread?

Did you guys just start following the UFC in the last 6 months or some shit? Pathetic thread so far. We're talking best upsets in UFC HISTORY. The UFC has been around since '93, It's had around 100 events counting fight nights, TUF finales, Ultimate japan, Unlimate Brazil, etc. And all you knuckleheads can talk about is Serra, Gonzaga anf Forrest?

Disgusting...Do some research, guys

ok .... there have been alot of upsets over the years...... but overall it has to be the GREATEST upset in UFC history
which is most definatley Serra over GSP, GSP was at the top of his game
and was not taking Serra lightly, no one expected a first round KO for Serra,
no one thought Serra could win that fight anywhere, some people didn't think
Serra could even win it on the ground, but now serra is confident Serra is good dont get me wrong but no one gave him a chance, Serra even said it himself, "This was probably the biggest upset in UFC history..This is the Greatest upset in UFC history not the 12 greatest upsets. Oh and Pulver vs. Penn(UFC35) was a close decsision, Jens didn't KO Penn,that would have been an upset, and i have seen all the old fights like UUJapan and UU Brazil
oh and at UFC 1 when Royce Gracie beat Gerard Gurdeau by a choke to become the first ever UFC tournement Champ, yeah remember when Liddell
won a UD over Suloev cause I do, remember when Tito lost to Frank Shamrock by sumbission due to strikes, I do....the point is you shouldn't come
on here and badmouth us sayin we dont know anything about the sport, if our thread is so pathetic why did you even have say anything

TNunley
10/29/07 3:44:03PM

Posted by chickmagnet
ok .... there have been alot of upsets over the years...... but overall it has to be the GREATEST upset in UFC history
Serra could even win it on the ground, but now serra is confident Serra is good dont get me wrong but no one gave him a chance, Serra even said it himself, "This was probably the biggest upset in UFC history..This is the Greatest upset in UFC history not the 12 greatest upsets. Oh and Pulver vs. Penn(UFC35) was a close decsision, Jens didn't KO Penn,that would have been an upset, and i have seen all the old fights like UUJapan and UU Brazil
oh and at UFC 1 when Royce Gracie beat Gerard Gurdeau by a choke to become the first ever UFC tournement Champ, yeah remember when Liddell
won a UD over Suloev cause I do, remember when Tito lost to Frank Shamrock by sumbission due to strikes, I do....the point is you shouldn't come
on here and badmouth us sayin we dont know anything about the sport, if our thread is so pathetic why did you even have say anything

Although I will agree, it was a little much when he said it was disgusting. I have to completely agree. Serra/GSP was definitely not the greatest upset in UFC history, contrary to what Serra (the same guy in the fight) may have said. Serra/GSP definitely ranks in my top 10 list... but for sure not #1. After all upset means an unexpected defeat... as of today everyone knows that every fighter has a puncher's chance. Anyone who thought Serra has absolutely 0% chance of taking out GSP, is obviously not an avid follower of MMA. Especially due to the fact that Serra's only losses are from Shonie Carter (anyone could have made that mistake), BJ Penn, Din Thomas, and Karo Parisyan. With the last 3 going to decision... not a stoppage.

I'd put money down that Kenny Florian could possibly KO CroCop at least once if they fought enough times. Just saying that at this day and age, it's kinda silly to say that an underdog winning is truely an "upset".

So I'll have to agree with ChokeUout... IMHO the absolute greatest upset of all time was Royce Gracie from UFC 1. This was at a time when they thought size meant everything, and the biggest guy always wins the fight. Which was most likely true when it came to guys swapping licks across the face. Royce upset anyone who watched his fights that didn't know the outcome before watching it. A very close second would have to be Couture/Belfort... Belfort was most definitely at the top of his game (Much like you described GSP). He had shown absolutely no weaknesses, and was undefeated prior to their fight. I love GSP, and I wouldn't dream of disrespecting him, but he had been stopped before. Vitor destroyed Tre Telligman in just over a minute, then Scott Ferrazo (Sp?) and Tank Abbot both in under a minute. BTW Tank Abbott was the guy who could bench press 600 lbs, and IMO had the most powerful punches in the history of MMA.

Then walks in Randy Couture.... absolutely no one gave him a chance. I remember thinking how much I liked Randy from seeing him at UFC 13. I was afraid for him... thinking it sucks that he has to get KO'd by this beast. Much to my surprise.... he KO'd Belfort. IMHO, that is by far the most memorable fight & 2nd greatest upset in all UFC history... if not MMA history. After that fight, I understood that you couldn't count out anybody.

I don't even think there is a close 3rd.
keith-hackney1
10/29/07 5:59:33PM
randys first win over chuck liddell is by far the biggest ufc upset ever on the basis that liddell was due a long awaited title shot after being sat at number two for all those years, and the fans thinking that a 39 year old ex heavyweight was about to get retired by liddell. Randy upset the mma world and shook up the lhw division. I believe that the ripple from the rock couture dropped in the lhw pond when he beat chuck is still in view even now, that division became competitive and exciting since couture went in and took it over.
themmadigest
10/29/07 8:59:13PM
Serra vs GSP is probably the biggest. There was some pretty astronomical odds in favor of Pierre winning that fight.
SpiderSilva
10/29/07 10:14:34PM
I've got the biggest upset ever right here

The who year of 2007 yeah that right the year has produced a crap load so I vote the year
richieb19
10/30/07 1:19:28AM
How quickly people forget...

ChokeUout
10/30/07 1:35:35AM

Posted by chickmagnet

haha, WOAH...Slow down there, Ace...Lemme straighten this out...

If you think Serra over GSP if the best upset ever, that's YOUR opinion. But your reasoning behind it is kinda Messed up. First off, OF COURSE Serra said it's prolly the greatest upset ever, IT WAS HIS FIGHT! lol...Secondly, granted, Serra was an underdawg in most aspects of that fight, but the same could be said with just about ANY of the fight myself of others mentioned here. THe reason why myself and others say that's not the best ever is because you could make the arguement that GSP got caught. In my opinion, that's not as impresive as a fight where a total underdawg Dominates for an extended period of time, like randy and vitor, chuck, or tito.

Also, I don't understand your "it went to adecision, it's not really an upset" theory. Yeah, Pulver went to a close decision, against a guy who was AT LEAST as big of a favorite against him as GSP was agaisnt Serra. People thought BJ would finish him quick becuase he was so well rounded agaisnt a one trickpony, like pulver. THe fact Pulver could not only Go 5 rounds with him, but also win, was pretty damn shocking at the time. Decision wins can be JUST as big of upsets as knockouts, such as COleman and Smitch, or Randy and Tito. In fact, it was pretty amazing that Randy WAS able to dominate Tito at his own game for 5 rounds. And that's just one example.

But yeah, Maybe I worded it wrong, but I thinkyour getting the wrong idea. The thread itself isn't pathetic, but the fact that people were only mentioning 3 RECENT upsets is, As is the fact Randy and Royce were mentioned nowhere here. And as for this:

"if our thread is so pathetic why did you even have say anything"

I think you answered your own question, lol

So yeah, don't take offense, but the narrow choices of everyone in this thread before me upset me, becuase there's SO much more out there. THer'es been LOTS of fights like the GSP/Serra one where one guy wasn't given a chance, and yet that guy won in a manner nobody thought he would. Serra's was definetly one to remember, but with so many others out there that were just as good if not better, with much more time in the fight where they dominated the opponet, that's why I don't even rate the serra one top five. It's the upset of the year, not of all time.
cmill21
10/30/07 1:41:04AM

Posted by richieb19

Haha I was watching that just the other day.
ChokeUout
10/30/07 1:48:37AM
haha, word, props to richieb19 on that mention
Khaos
10/30/07 2:56:04AM
Greatest upsets this year:

Serra beats GSP(UFC 69)
Jake O'Brien beats Heath Herring(Ultimate Fight Night 8)
Houstin Alexander beats Keith Jardine(UFC 71)
Gabe Gonzaga beats Mirko Cro Cop(UFC 70)
Josh Koscheck beats Diego Sanchez(UFC 69)

Greatest UFC upsets ever:

Jens Pulver beats BJ Penn(UFC 35)
BJ Penn beats Matt Hughes(UFC 46)
Pete Williams beats Mark Coleman(UFC 17,I think)
Randy Couture beats Vitor Belfort(UFC 15)
Randy Couture beats Chuck Liddell(UFC 43)
Randy Couture beats Tito Ortiz(UFC 44)
Falaniko Vitale beats Matt Lindland(UFC 43)
Keith Hackney beats Emmanuel Yarborough(UFC 3)
Mark Coleman beats Don Frye(UFC 10)
Joe Lauzon beats Jens Pulver(UFC 63)
Marcus Davis beats Shonie Carter(Ultimate Fight Night 7)
Vitor Belfort beats Wanderlei Silva(UFC Brazil:Ultimate Brazil)
Kevin Randleman beats Maurice Smith(UFC 19)
Bas Rutten beats Kevin Randleman(UFC 20)
David Terrell beats Matt Lindland(UFC 49)
Elvis Sinosic beats Jeremy Horn(UFC 30)

there are many more, I just can't think of them
Mastodon2
10/30/07 3:38:22AM

Posted by richieb19

How quickly people forget..." alt="" />

Forget? 99% of MMA fans wernt even keyed into MMA when that first happen, I know I sure as hell wasn't!

That said, I did have prior knowledge of this fight and its circumstances, though I've never seen the full thing, I've seen the clip a hundred times, and rightly so, it was a perfectly timed kick
TNunley
10/30/07 10:32:27AM

Posted by richieb19

Haha, I remember when that fight happened. Coleman reminded me so much of "Bald Bull" from Mike Tyson's Punchout when he went down. That look of complete oblivian as he almost in slow motion went down. That was definitely one of those "Oh Sh!+" moments. Then Sean Salmon did the live replay against Rashad, but not in quite as shocking of fashion.

BTW to whoever mentioned Randy over Liddell, and Randy over Tito... yeah it was amazing that Randy beat Tito at GnP, and Randy KO'ing Liddell was exciting... but for anyone who had followed Randy would definitely not have counted him out for those fights. If anything IMO I think Chuck KO'ing Randy was far more of an upset than Randy KO'ing Chuck. At the time, sure Liddell was one of the greats, but Randy has always had the ability to defeat any fighter in any fight. Coming into the fight against Chuck the second time, I was blown away that Chuck KO'd Randy, as he had never been KO'd before, but Randy had KO'd heavy hitters prior to their fights.
TNunley
10/30/07 11:15:49AM

Posted by diegoacosta87

hahahaha do some research?? shut the f**k up who r u to come and tell us what to talk about.....if we want to talk about the recent fights were are gonna toalk about them...hahaha what an asssss

This is MMAPlayground.... I think you're looking for Sherdog
ohiostate1016
10/30/07 2:41:46PM
What about the Royce/Shamrock draw at UFC 5? I know that Shamrock didn't win, but Gracie seemed unbeatable, heck, un-tie-able at the time, and Shamrock hung in there for 36 minutes with him...
richieb19
10/30/07 2:57:34PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

What about the Royce/Shamrock draw at UFC 5? I know that Shamrock didn't win, but Gracie seemed unbeatable, heck, un-tie-able at the time, and Shamrock hung in there for 36 minutes with him...

That fight shouldn't have been a draw, Shamrock completely worked over Gracie. In fact, his plan was (as boring as it sounds) to exhaust Gracie for 2+ hours. There was not supposed to be a time limit, but 31:01 minutes in they changed their minds. Gracie was a mess agter the fight and wasn't even able to stand on his own. Shamrock won.
Pages: [1] 2