Greatest UFC/Pride comebacks

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Greatest UFC/Pride comebacks
hippysmacker
2/14/07 3:12:57PM
Some talk in another thread gave me this idea. I'll post some here off the top of my head. There are way too many to make a poll.
So please pick one and add any you think worthy.Some were getting owned for a while and cameback. Other's overcame a great seeming finishing move and pulled ot out. Thanks

Huhges/Trigg 2
Fedor/Randleman
Hughes/Newton
Big Nog/Cro-cop
Bas/TK
Rampage/Arona
Hughes/ BJ 2
Sakuraba/Smirnovas
Smith/Sell
richieb19
2/14/07 3:16:17PM
Heres a HL vid from wamrage with the 20 greatest comebacks in Pride UFC history (it's long, 25 min)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwEtiytqLQ

ps. Saku/Smirnovas was in k1...
hippysmacker
2/14/07 3:26:50PM

Posted by richieb19

Heres a HL vid from wamrage with the 20 greatest comebacks in Pride UFC history (it's long, 25 min)...

You know what's funny I just told someone that Saku/Smirnovas was in K-1 and then forgot myself. I'm slippin. thanks for the highlight
richieb19
2/14/07 3:44:44PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by richieb19

You know what's funny I just told someone that Saku/Smirnovas was in K-1 and then forgot myself. I'm slippin. thanks for the highlight

It doesnt make it any less of a comeback though, although I wasn't happy with the way the ref handled that.

Saku in K1 is a mystery to me... they help him win against Smirnovas, but help him lose to Akayama...
Gladiator
2/14/07 4:19:36PM
though nothing real significant happened (like a knockout or submission) the tito vs griffin fight has been one of my all-time favorite comebacks.
hathcock32
2/14/07 4:56:02PM
No doubt it was Hughes Trigg II. Matt Hughes got hit with the lowblow and then just got pounded on by Trigg for a minute then trigg looked like he was going to choke him out. I get goosebumbs every time i watch that fight.....great topic
shawneth
2/14/07 5:30:01PM
Its a toss up between Hughes/Penn 2 and Hughes/Trigg 2. In Hughes/Penn 2, I was itching with anticipation for Hughes to tap out in the Triangle Choke? Arm Lock. Then Hughes pulled out though and won the fight......... but then again, the fact that Penn lost due to a broken rib makes the comeback alittle less deserving of "The Greatest ComebacK". I would have to go with Hughes/Trigg 2.
shawneth
2/14/07 5:31:37PM

Posted by Gladiator

though nothing real significant happened (like a knockout or submission) the tito vs griffin fight has been one of my all-time favorite comebacks.

As much of an admirable performance that Griffin displayed in the later rounds, it cannot be considered a comeback because he did lose in the end.
Gladiator
2/14/07 5:44:36PM

Posted by shawneth

Posted by Gladiator

As much of an admirable performance that Griffin displayed in the later rounds, it cannot be considered a comeback because he did lose in the end.

it was awefully close though, sometimes i think the ufc caters too much to wrestlers. IMO forrest would have had that won if it werent for tito's last takedown. The jens pulver v BJ title match was pretty close too, but i think that hughes v trigg 2 is my favorite because of the drama from start to finish.
gspfan31
2/14/07 5:47:11PM
nog vs. sapp, nog can take a beating
hippysmacker
2/14/07 7:29:32PM

Posted by gspfan31

nog vs. sapp, nog can take a beating

That was hilarious when they were on the ground and Sapp just sat up , graabed him and set him aside like a child. If Sapp had a bigger gas tank he would be dangerous, even without skill.I watched the highlight and have to say it was good. I wouldn't have put Baroni/Tanner there just because of the contraversial stoppage. One I'm really shocked I left off was Scembri/Sakuraba. Saku was clowning him, then Elvis nails those knees. Unbeleivable!
Snacks
2/14/07 7:33:12PM
Uno/BJ II
Svartorm
2/14/07 8:03:58PM
Wandy vs. Rampage 2. Rampage looked like he'd pull it off late in the 1st. So much for that.
hippysmacker
2/14/07 8:08:28PM
Uno/BJ 2 should count just fight to fight. Since the first was like 5 seconds.
Wandy / Rampage aint bad either.
hathcock32
2/14/07 8:27:04PM
The 2nd Arlovski Sylvia match was a pretty good comeback. Sylvia took a hard right went to the ground almost finished 20 seconds later he had knocked AA out
Trapt1nw0nder
2/14/07 11:55:00PM
Guillard vs Neer....that the only other 1 i can think of right now..
MMA
2/15/07 7:14:08AM
Drew Fickett vs. Josh Koscheck

Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn
madmarck
2/15/07 9:39:46AM

Posted by MMA

Drew Fickett vs. Josh Koscheck

Georges St. Pierre vs. BJ Penn

I just watched the Fickett\KOscheck fight last night. That was one sick comeback.
I think James Irvin vs Terry MArtin is up there too. James got pounded upon for a fll 5 min. Comes out 2nd round in 9seconds throws a flying knee and KOs Martin. Clearly not the biggest comeback but nonetheless the most exciting.
Stickan
2/15/07 10:22:37AM
Sell vs Baroni is another one.

Gomi vs Azerado 1 was a comeback to me.

Reignofterror
2/15/07 10:27:31PM
Watched the whole vid thanks for the link...I thought Smirnovas and Sakuraba should've definetly been somewhere in the top 5 though.
TheArtOfWar
2/16/07 12:43:56AM
Nog vs CC
Mirko punished Nog during the10 mn of the first round finishing with his, well known, LHK. Minotauro was badly hurt ( broken nose,broken ribs) but his heart made him survive. I remember the tears in the eyes of one of the pride's japanese girl
richieb19
2/16/07 12:44:50AM

Posted by TheArtOfWar

Nog vs CC
Mirko punished Nog during the10 mn of the first round finishing with his, well known, LHK. Minotauro was badly hurt ( broken nose,broken ribs) but his heart made him survive. I remember the tears in the eyes of the pride's japanese girl

I comletely agree, this is by far the biggest comeback in MMA history.
Unkoman
2/16/07 2:34:05AM

Posted by Svartorm

Wandy vs. Rampage 2. Rampage looked like he'd pull it off late in the 1st. So much for that.

That was a fantastiv comeback. I think the ref giving Silva a yellowcard enraged him and fists and knees came flying.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/17/07 3:00:10PM

Posted by Svartorm

Agreed.
Sam_Rothstein
7/17/07 2:51:19AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Guillard vs Neer....that the only other 1 i can think of right now..

one of the best comebacks ive seen. that and neer vs joe stevenson because stevenson popped neers leg in the first round and he still came out and won the decision

trigg vs hughes 2 was another good one i saw same with bj penn and hughes 2
cmill21
7/17/07 5:12:03AM

Posted by TheArtOfWar

Nog vs CC
Mirko punished Nog during the10 mn of the first round finishing with his, well known, LHK. Minotauro was badly hurt ( broken nose,broken ribs) but his heart made him survive. I remember the tears in the eyes of one of the pride's japanese girl

Totally agree. Still can't believe the beating that man took. I'm really suprised they didn't throw the towel out during the break. He earned that win.
www-WeLoan-us
7/17/07 6:39:40AM
neer vs guillard
tomp6581
7/17/07 11:57:37AM
Royce V Severn?
ultimatefight56
7/17/07 12:40:36PM
i loved Hughes/Trigg 2
LHK
7/17/07 1:19:05PM

Posted by hathcock32

The 2nd Arlovski Sylvia match was a pretty good comeback. Sylvia took a hard right went to the ground almost finished 20 seconds later he had knocked AA out

If by knocked out, you mean slightly dazed, holding his hand up to block ALL the little girl shots from Sylvia then yeah. Ref should have let it go a couple of seconds, AA would have recovered easy. He was completely coherent as soon as the fight stopped. Sylvia should have elbowed dropped AA's head or something for the win.

Anderson Silva Vs Chonan was a cool fight, flying heel hook like no other (Anderson's only weakness? Ace better start training that!).

Greatest comback of all time...probably Saku vs Smirnovas...that was one of the most brutal beatings a fighter has ever recieved...but Saku has proved time and time again no one has a bigger heart.