G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » G.O.A.T. (Greatest of All Time)
Next Page »
punisherind
1/19/07 4:14:18PM
With all the replies to the P4P thread, I figured I'd start a new one for people to chime in on. This ranking is for the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

Some critera so we don't go all over the map:
a) the fighter must've participated in some form of mma (therefore, no bruce lee's, chuck norrises, or farmer burns);
b) we will rank the fighters as if they were in their prime;
c) fighters should be ranked according to how they would fare against other fighters in their prime and in the same weight class.

okay, here goes. i havent put a great amount of thought into this, so dont bash me too hard. lol. just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what people think.

1) Royce Gracie
2) Fedor
3) Bas Rutten
4) Frank Shamrock
5) Ken Shamrock / Sakuraba
hippysmacker
1/19/07 4:16:10PM
Fedor. Period.
Savy
1/19/07 4:19:40PM
These days fighters are more "complete" than ever.
They are also better conditioned, better nutritioned and better informed.
I'm not sure my GOAT list will be much different than my P4P list.

Three periods huh hippysmacker? j/k
punisherind
1/19/07 4:30:35PM
you guys are going to shoot down my rankings based on a technicality?? come on fellas. why dont we just assume that the fighters of yesteryear would have stayed competitive and become more "complete" as you put it. can you honestly say that chuck liddell would beat bas rutten in his prime??
CDW
1/19/07 4:37:37PM
Never Royce Gracie! The nr 1 Gracie in my opinion is Rickson! But Ricksons has never dare to fight with Bas Rutten! I think the number 1 is Fedor the most complete fighter ever! Number 2 Bas Rutten
Savy
1/19/07 4:39:26PM
anybody think Severn belongs on this list??
evilslutt
1/19/07 6:01:51PM
In my opinion, if the guys in your goat list continued to train for the present MMA rules and general skills in UFC/Pride with regards to defense and offense, it's not really surprising that that would have stayed on top longger.

With regards to technicality, I guess that's what happens if you stop and just watch in the background as new fighters evolve and play the new game.
nate22
1/19/07 7:24:43PM
Pound for pound, my vote goes to Sakuraba, he has fought and beat numerous top ten competitors in various weight categories.

However, no disrespect to any other of the great fighters you have listed, but none of them compare to Fedor, his record speaks for itself.
nate22
1/19/07 7:26:56PM

Posted by Savy

Absolutely but where's there's Severn there needs to be Jeremy Horn.

Neither are the greatest of all time, but they are two of the greatest fighters of all time without question.
meier
1/19/07 11:45:20PM
1. Rickson Gracie
2. Liddell
3. Royce Gracie
4. Fedor
5. Gomi
Dai
1/20/07 2:57:19PM
Lidell and Royce above Fedor... good lord.

Alright, let's see here.

Fedor
Mirko
Rickson
Lidell
Frank Shamrock
Couture

Meh, these lists are stupid. I don't know if I can even really defend that order- hell, **** order, there's no order to it, those are just some of my favorite fighters.
bosco420
1/22/07 11:44:51AM
my picks

Cro cop

Fedor

mike zambidis

Randy couture

remi bonjafski if thats how you spell it lol check my post for link on mike zambidis and tell me what you think now lol

thanks bosco420
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
meier
1/22/07 10:50:10PM

Posted by Dai

Alright, let's see here.

Fedor
Mirko
Rickson
Lidell
Frank Shamrock
Couture

Meh, these lists are stupid. I don't know if I can even really defend that order- hell, **** order, there's no order to it, those are just some of my favorite fighters.

they are just opinions... do not take this too seriously
loller90278
1/22/07 11:39:31PM
nobody listed bas? sheesh

fedor
bas
rickson
crocop
liddel
Savy
1/23/07 1:13:17AM
Does the GOAT list = Greatest Legends of All-Time list??
Ken Shamrock
Royce Gracie
Dan Severn
Bas Rutten
Kazushi Sakuraba
Rickson Gracie
Fedor Emelianenko
*no particular order
who has contributed most to shaping the sport and culture of MMA???
SICKRICK
1/23/07 10:08:05AM
no order on this but here we go///
shamrock ken and frank
gracie royce and rickson
couture
liddell
fedor
severn
as much as i hate this guy but , matt hughes
and for shits and giggles and i mean giggles tank abbott just for his punch lol
roadking95th
1/23/07 2:08:59PM
I think when compiling G.O.A.T. lists, one can not compare fighters from different eras. One can only look at how dominate a fighter was during his time. All sports evolve through better strength, conditioning, nutrition, and technique. My list, in no particular order would include: Bas, Royce, Sakuraba, Fedor, Hughes, and the Shamrocks.
strikefirstgear
1/24/07 2:50:27AM
Greatest of all time. This would mean greatest legacies, best fights, biggest impact on the sport, most memorable moments and people you can only call legends. Not just who could beat who these days.

If it is all taken in consideration then I say:

1. Royce Gracie
2. Fedor
3. Matt Hughes
4. Randy Couture
5. Shamrock (you choose which)

I am sure in 5 years my answers will differ. But not that much.
Avenger
1/24/07 7:30:35PM
That's easy!!!! It's FEDOR without a question!!!!
punisherind
1/24/07 7:47:30PM

Posted by loller90278

nobody listed bas? sheesh

fedor
bas
rickson
crocop
liddel

sheesh dude, check the original post! lol. i listed him 3rd.

THE_AXE_MURDERER
1/24/07 9:57:19PM
Fedor
Couture
Sakuraba
Royce
Rutten
Wanderlei

In no particular order
nate22
1/24/07 10:09:06PM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

Fedor
Couture
Sakuraba
Royce
Rutten
Wanderlei

In no particular order

Good list, hard to argue with this.
amik
1/26/07 11:18:45AM

Posted by punisherind

With all the replies to the P4P thread, I figured I'd start a new one for people to chime in on. This ranking is for the greatest MMA fighters of all time.

Some critera so we don't go all over the map:
a) the fighter must've participated in some form of mma (therefore, no bruce lee's, chuck norrises, or farmer burns);
b) we will rank the fighters as if they were in their prime;
c) fighters should be ranked according to how they would fare against other fighters in their prime and in the same weight class.

okay, here goes. i havent put a great amount of thought into this, so dont bash me too hard. lol. just wanted to get the ball rolling and see what people think.

1) Rickson Gracie
2)Sakuraba
3) Wanderley Silva
4) Frank Shamrock
5) Rey ZulĂș

Daaga
1/26/07 11:29:36AM

Posted by Savy

Are you drunk? Not even Royce belongs on this list, and he friggin beat him! Unless you consider Severn's knockout of Cal Worsham something impressive. What, no room for Rickson on the list?
punisherind
1/26/07 3:17:56PM

Posted by amik

1) Rickson Gracie
2)Sakuraba
3) Wanderley Silva
4) Frank Shamrock
5) Rey ZulĂș

zulu?!
Savy
1/26/07 3:40:19PM

Posted by Daaga

Posted by Savy

Are you drunk? Not even Royce belongs on this list, and he friggin beat him! Unless you consider Severn's knockout of Cal Worsham something impressive. What, no room for Rickson on the list?

Show some respect to The Beast. He's one of the founding fathers of the UFC. His career had spanned 14 years and he's got 73 mma wins.
I'm not saying he is THE greatest fighter of alltime or THE best figher ever. Just suggesting that he be mentioned when we discuss the "All Time Greats.":
And no, I am not drunk.
BloodandTears
1/26/07 6:18:51PM
1. Fedor
2. Mirko
3. Kazushi
4. Bas

I believe in that order
ElGuApO91
1/28/07 3:03:13PM
1 fedor
2 randy
3 bas
4 royce
5 gsp
pv3Hpv3p
1/29/07 6:56:59PM
I think that Bas, Rickson, Fedor & Saku (more or less in that order) are all deserving of being on that list, but there's one person noone mentioned and always seems to get overlooked in these discussions. None other than 'Ice-Cold' Igor Vovchanchyn, I'd argue that he was not only one of the most dominante fighters of the ninties, but also one of the most entertaining to watch... Igor's right hand then = CC left head kick now.
rameydl8
5/21/07 7:53:38AM

Posted by meier

Posted by Dai

Alright, let's see here.

Fedor
Mirko
Rickson
Lidell
Frank Shamrock
Couture

they are just opinions... do not take this too seriously

everybody has there own opinions..calm down people...
Pages: [1] 2