The 50 Greatest Saturday Morning Cartoons Of All Time [Vids]

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The 50 Greatest Saturday Morning Cartoons Of All Time [Vids]
The_Metal_Maniac
8/11/10 2:58:07PM
If you were born into a world of ubiquitous Internet and television networks devoted solely to cartoons, you should consider yourself very lucky, youngster. Back in the day (like all the way until the ’90s) the only time kids could really vegetate with a block of animation and a block of sugar was Saturday mornings from 8 to noon—when, with a tweak of its nipples, the boob tube would squirt out empty calories for young minds with shows about caped crime fighters, talking animals, tiny blue creatures, and other things that would trip folks out all over again when they discovered reefer. Of course, some of the shows were absolute crap, but young bucks were so happy to be watching cartoons that turd-like quality didn't preclude them from watching. The Complex staff watched it all—even soft-batch **** like The Care Bears Family—so we decided to take a stroll down memory lane to honor the truly memorable shows that aired in the formative time slot. Race out of bed, grab your bowl of sugar and milk, and check out the 50 greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

This list made me feel old, and it made me laugh a lot because the majority cartoons I spent watching throughout my childhood. Very cool read if you feel like reminiscing.

Article
cowcatcher
8/11/10 3:20:48PM
lots of these are a little after my time, but there were some really good ones listed to go with the ones i think sucked. the biggest omissions IMO were gi joe, transformers, laff-a- lympics(dude, that cartoon had EVERYONE in it).
emfleek
8/11/10 3:28:26PM
I agree with...

The Littles (I seem to remember that it was hard to catch at a particular time. I don't know if they were constantly changing timeslots or what, but I loved it as a kid.)
Tom and Jerry (at #32? Seriously? Easily top 10, imo.)
Voltron (very underrated! I'd put it higher than 30.)
Thundercats (again, this should have been a top 10 pick)
Muppet Babies (FTW!!!)
Heathcliff (loved it!)
The Smurfs (if you weren't a fan, you didn't live)
Scooby Doo (see above - EVERYONE loved Scoob and the crew)
Ducktales (I loved it so much I had the video game...and it ruled, too!)
TMNT (duh)

No Dennis the Menace? No C.O.P.S? Chip 'n Dale's Rescue Rangers? The f'ing Flinstones?? G.I. Joe? Hulk Hogan's Rockin' Wrestling? Inspector Gadget?

Transformers?? If you were a young boy and you didn't love the Transformers, chances are you dress in drag and blow truckers these days.

Granted, not all of those left out were "Saturday Morning" cartoons, but neither were the ones that were ranked. Thundercats, Voltron, Ducktales and numerous others were on in the afternoons after school before they were ever shown (if they were - I can't confirm/deny) on Saturday mornings.
Twenty20Dollars
8/11/10 3:57:20PM
Doug! and his buddy skeeter

Hey Arnold, move it football head.
DosBox
8/11/10 4:51:37PM
Hah, sweet.. glad Heathcliff made the list.
Thundercats was awesome as well.

Wish Wacky Races made the list though! (and Thundarr the Barbarian).
mrsmiley
8/11/10 10:14:30PM
I remember Camp Candy. Always liked it.

Denver the Dinosaur kicked major ass.

Garygoyles was cool.

Thundercats is a must have. And who could forget The Tick or Darkwing Duck?
SPOON!!!!

Every cartoon on the list is good but its missing Silver Hawks and Dino Riders.
emfleek
8/11/10 11:12:10PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Silver Hawks

Drudinh
8/12/10 7:17:14AM
Top 5... From there it is a list that is messed up for top 50. It was nice to recall a bunch of cartoons that I spent from the second half of the 80's to early 90's watching. But a few that were necessary were missing from the list and a few that were on there that shouldn't be. Mighty Max was a favorite of mine personally and I think is worthy of top 50 and I expected Captain Planet to make it. Problem was you had to wake up real early for those shows.
gartface
8/12/10 7:23:43AM
Immediately I see Pokemon at 50, way too low...
emfleek
8/12/10 8:55:41AM

Posted by gartface

Immediately I see Pokemon at 50, way too low...

* booted from fight camp *
Twenty20Dollars
8/13/10 12:35:31AM
patty mayonnaise from Doug haha
teddythetuna
8/17/10 10:54:27AM
Captain N: The Game Master FTW! Got to agree with the top 2 though. Spongebob is so hilarious. The episode with Pantera as the music is the funniest s**t. But what about HE-MAN. That show rocked.