Greatest 5 round fight to go the distance?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Greatest 5 round fight to go the distance?
NatedawgThaM
12/20/09 6:39:16PM
Melednez-Thompson 2 was a very exciting fight that went back and forth. Both won a few rounds but at the end Melendez got his revenge. Theres got to be a 3rd one!!! But the main point of this topic, there have been lots of 5 rounds fights in MMA but which one is the greatest? usually there are one sided beatdowns that are pretty fun to watch, but what was the greatest back and forth 5 round fight to go the distance? I mean you have Torres-Mizugaki, Brown-Faber 2, last nights battle, Forrest-Rampage, sherk-florian, sherk-hughes, and probably alot more I forgot but you get the picture.

Im going with Rampage-Forrest just because it was extremely close, could have went either way. How about ya'll?
postman
12/20/09 6:42:48PM
Forrest Rampage 2???? Typo? I'm going UFC 31 Couture Rizzo 1.
warglory
12/20/09 6:42:54PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Melednez-Thompson 2 was a very exciting fight that went back and forth. Both won a few rounds but at the end Melendez got his revenge. Theres got to be a 3rd one!!! But the main point of this topic, there have been lots of 5 rounds fights in MMA but which one is the greatest? usually there are one sided beatdowns that are pretty fun to watch, but what was the greatest back and forth 5 round fight to go the distance? I mean you have Torres-Mizugaki, Brown-Faber 2, last nights battle, Forrest-Rampage, sherk-florian, sherk-hughes, and probably alot more I forgot but you get the picture.

Im going with Rampage-Forrest 2 just because it was extremely close, could have went either way. How about ya'll?

Couture-Sylvia was a memorable bout, mainly because of Couture's unexpected dominance.
emfleek
12/20/09 6:45:39PM
Maybe because it's still fresh in my mind, but Melendez/Thomson (last night) damn near made me blow my wad.

In fact, I think the event in its entirety was great.
NatedawgThaM
12/20/09 6:47:33PM

Posted by postman

Forrest Rampage 2???? Typo? I'm going UFC 31 Couture Rizzo 1.

haha my bad. fixed. And shoot I forgot about Randy-Pedro! Hell yeah!!!
postman
12/20/09 6:58:57PM

Posted by emfleek

Maybe because it's still fresh in my mind, but Melendez/Thomson (last night) damn near made me blow my wad.

Agreed it was a great card but without getting to far off topic how did that fight make you feel on where those two sit as far as if they competed in the UFC? I really don't see either doing that well. Sill a great fight for sure!
NatedawgThaM
12/20/09 6:59:55PM

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Agreed it was a great card but without getting to far off topic how did that fight make you feel on where those two sit as far as if they competed in the UFC? I really don't see either doing that well. Sill a great fight for sure!

Great question! We should make a thread.
Gladiator
12/20/09 8:26:36PM
Henderson vs Cerrone. Even though it was an interim title fight it was still the most competetive 5 round war ive seen.
karn501
12/20/09 9:11:38PM

Posted by emfleek

same here that fight was amazing thats a fight i could watch over and over again and never get tired of it i would give it fight of the year too hell even ko of the year and no one got koed but who cares awesome fight loved it
Khaos
12/20/09 9:12:03PM
My favorite 5 Rounder wasn't a close, or competetive battle, it is Franklin vs Loiseau from UFC 58. It is my favorite just because of how dominat Franklin is, and some of the things he does.
submissionartist1
12/20/09 9:36:04PM
Im basing my answer on the controversy this fight caused after the decision,
classic style V. style fight one fighter using his mauy thai to pick appart the game of his opponent. The Champion defending his own style with in and out foot wok andquick scoreing combos his use of Karate a first in UFC champions ...

Machida V. Rua recent but the debate over the winner and the two styles were great at smothering a real domonating proformance by either future Hall of Fame fighterc
bojangalz
12/20/09 10:17:29PM

Posted by Gladiator

Henderson vs Cerrone. Even though it was an interim title fight it was still the most competetive 5 round war ive seen.

I'm not sure if this is THE best ever but I'd take it over Melendez/Thompson.

I thought the fight last night was very good don't get me wrong. But it became VERY obvious after about 12 minutes that Gil was simply fighting with better technique and a far better gameplan. All Josh could do was run in and swing in wild 6-7 strike combos hoping to land on 2-3 shots. By the end of the third it was pretty apparent who was going to win.

It was still easy and fun to watch, but there wasn't any real mystery as to who the better fighter was last night. At least the henderson/Cerrone fight had a bit of mystique to it in that way.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
12/20/09 11:09:05PM

Posted by postman
I'm going UFC 31 Couture Rizzo 1.

agreed, although it was spoiled by the decision
EvenFlow
12/20/09 11:27:04PM
Since I can't technically pick Pride fights I'll go with Rizzo vs. Couture 1 or Rampage vs. Hendo
Rabi
12/21/09 2:32:41AM
The 3 that jumped into my mind were:

Couture v Rizzo ( already mentioned)
Couture v Sylvia ( already mentioned)
and the third one not mentioned yet which again was a fighter dominating the other and was certainly not expected was Couture v Ortiz.
Pskinner_mma314
12/21/09 5:27:50AM

Posted by Gladiator

i was there, only live mma event i've ever been to, it was epic...........understand the at&t center is a big place, when its so loud u cant hear the person next to u....u know its a good fight....................spurs games dont get that loud
ncordless
12/21/09 10:33:47AM

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

I think either one could compete with all except the very top of the division. Both are top 8-15ish and could beat a vast majority of the LWs in the UFC. I'd like to see either one in a rematch with Clay Guida.
kevietre
12/21/09 3:16:54PM

SILVA VS LEITES ANYONE????

In all seriousness, Rampage vs. Henderson was what MMA is all about.