Greatest rivalry?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Greatest rivalry?
Taylor8766
7/16/07 5:29:48PM
What do you thin is the greatest rivalry, I would have to say ortiz/shamrock
SpiderSilva
7/16/07 5:46:01PM
I think even though they havent fought i would say Wandi vs Chuck
Stickan
7/16/07 5:57:55PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

I think even though they havent fought i would say Wandi vs Chuck

I'm not quite sure I would consider that a rivalry since they don't seem to have anything against one another.
The Tito - Chuck rivalry seemed pretty real but the one that seemed to involve the most hatred that I can think of right now is the Frank Shamrock - John Lober rivalry.
Twenty20Dollars
7/16/07 6:06:58PM
ortiz and shamrock just because it has lastest the longest.
SpiderSilva
7/16/07 6:09:17PM
What about Stonecold Steve Austin vs Vince
postman
7/16/07 6:24:26PM
bj penn and jens pulver was a good one
casey64
7/16/07 6:33:23PM
Tito.vsKen Shamrock
Mastodon2
7/16/07 6:43:38PM
Tito and Ken Shamrock was crap, even though they really didnt like each other, the first were boring after the first one, even though Tito isnt exactly great, Shamrock was just past it, so they made for really poor fights.

The Arlovski / Timmy thing was crap too, the first fight was great, the second was terrible and the 3rd was just downright boring.

Chuck / Tito was great though. Watching Tito duck for so long, then Chuck finally getting a shot, then destroying Tito. Then Tito coming back for the second fight, and getting mauled allover again. I dont even like Chuck that much, but he put on a great show both times, and shut Tito's big mouth on two occasions, so I respect him for that.
Northrend
7/16/07 6:51:47PM
BTT/Chuteboxe rivalry

Ninja vs Sperry
Ninja vs Arona
Ninja vs Filho
Wandy vs Arona
Shogun vs Little Nog
Shogun vs Arona
Buscape vs Azeredo
and so on
Blizzard
7/16/07 8:00:08PM

Posted by Northrend

BTT/Chuteboxe rivalry

Ninja vs Sperry
Ninja vs Arona
Ninja vs Filho
Wandy vs Arona
Shogun vs Little Nog
Shogun vs Arona
Buscape vs Azeredo
and so on

Good call, I would have to agree.
Copenhagen
7/16/07 8:37:21PM
Wandy pushing Rampage was pretty cool.
warglory
7/16/07 9:18:21PM
Chuck and Tito probably.

This is what I like about this sport, you actually have to rack your brain to think of two fighters who genuinely dislike each other, even after fighting. I know there are obvious examples, but MMA has great sportsmanship, which I love about it.
johny_rotten
7/16/07 9:27:35PM
By far the best rivalry is Chute Box vs BTT. Chute Box vs Gomi was pretty good there for a while. In my eyes these have been good because the fighters talk in the ring, and save the trash to others.

A lot of the other big rivalries have been annoying to me. Tito and Ken was garbage. It was a master piece of a sell by both fighters, and the UFC, but the product was garbage. It would be like MLB trying to sell the Royals vs Yankees as a major rivalry. Chuck vs Tito wasn't as bad, but similar. A lot of hype, and not much delivery in the ring.
kevietre
7/16/07 10:05:50PM
Matt Hughes Vs. Frank Trigg even though Trigg lost both they were still good fights and fun to watch.
masodd
7/16/07 10:07:06PM
i would say bj vs matt hughes just for 2 matches both were very intense..........if they fight again it would be great but i think another one would be silva vs. franklin when they fight again, every fight they have will be a war
AmericanFighterAce
7/17/07 12:24:30AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Tito and Ken Shamrock was crap, even though they really didnt like each other, the first were boring after the first one, even though Tito isnt exactly great, Shamrock was just past it, so they made for really poor fights.

The Arlovski / Timmy thing was crap too, the first fight was great, the second was terrible and the 3rd was just downright boring.

Chuck / Tito was great though. Watching Tito duck for so long, then Chuck finally getting a shot, then destroying Tito. Then Tito coming back for the second fight, and getting mauled allover again. I dont even like Chuck that much, but he put on a great show both times, and shut Tito's big mouth on two occasions, so I respect him for that.

Uh on the Tim/Andrei part..
THE THIRD FIGHT WAS NOT BORING, you could hear Tim's jaw being hit so hard it echoed throughout the arena, it had an EXCITING and UNPREDICTABLE ending that nobody saw coming. It ended in the first round, so I do not even call that "Boring"

I personally enjoyed the Rivalry of Randy/Chuck.

Sure both of these guys had tremendous amount of respect for one another, but when they stepped into the octagon they layed it all out, Randy defeated Chuck in which RANDY was a huge underdog, and then the 2nd and 3rd fights when Chuck knocked him out was incredible, that was a great FIGHT rivalry that was not personal.

Mirko Cro Cop/Fedor would also be in that category.

Wanderlei Silva and Dan Henderson as well.

But I mean if we are talking personal rivalries, what better to watch or hear about Dana White and Tito Ortiz? I mean this two guys have this hatered for one another, and this makes the Shamrock/Ortiz fued look like a Rich Franklin/Matt Hughes slumber party.

Its hard to go a week or two without hearing Dana calling Tito names like a 5th grader and Tito replying back " I can't respond, I don't want to get injured" that is the most fun rivalry right now to watch.

Ken Shamrock and Don Frye though, I mean that still today I believe has alot of heat behind it.
SpiderSilva
7/17/07 12:41:38AM
Im going old old school
Ken Shamerock vs Royce Gracie
yeah thats right the roider himself
Ken couldnt stand losing to Royce even the draw that OT lol what a slow boring fight Ken was scared that if he moved he would get taped again
loller90278
7/17/07 1:38:25AM
don frye vs ken shamrock
just pure class.
and a great fight
Sam_Rothstein
7/17/07 2:37:18AM
i would say the chute box vs hammer house was good

don frye vs ken shamrock and shamrock vs ortiz

i thought the baroni vs shamrock was a really good one too, though i think they ended it now
blkssncpt
7/17/07 2:54:47AM

Posted by Northrend

BTT/Chuteboxe rivalry

Ninja vs Sperry
Ninja vs Arona
Ninja vs Filho
Wandy vs Arona
Shogun vs Little Nog
Shogun vs Arona
Buscape vs Azeredo
and so on

Definitely good call...
Wandy and Rampage
Wandy and CroCop
Gracie Family and Sakuraba
Don Frye and Shamrock
Ultimate_fighter
7/17/07 3:34:39AM
1. Shamrock/ Ortiz
2. Liddell/ Rampage
3. Liddell/ Ortiz
Stickan
7/17/07 3:46:36AM

Posted by AmericanFighterAce

Posted by Mastodon2

THE THIRD FIGHT WAS NOT BORING, you could hear Tim's jaw being hit so hard it echoed throughout the arena, it had an EXCITING and UNPREDICTABLE ending that nobody saw coming. It ended in the first round, so I do not even call that "Boring"

Ken Shamrock and Don Frye though, I mean that still today I believe has alot of heat behind it.

The third fight WAS very boring. Tim got the unanimous decision, you're confusing the third with the second.

I don't think there's any heat between Shamrock and Frye anymore. They seem to like and respect each other these days.
Mastodon2
7/17/07 7:07:41AM

Wrong fight, that was the second fight. In the 3rd fight, Andrei was so scared of getting KO'd, and Tim was so scared of Andrei's everything, that neither of them engaged, they just stood around doing very little. Then Andrei broke his leg halfway through the fight, and after that he did literally nothing, just throwing the odd jab here and there to keep Tim away.
Yaknowhaimean
7/17/07 11:34:52AM

Posted by loller90278

don frye vs ken shamrock
just pure class.
and a great fight

Agreed. Man, Shamrock had some great, heated rivalries huh?

And I agree with most of these posted, especially the "Bad Blood" type rivalries. I mean, the respectful rivalries are fun to see (Lidell/Coutoure, etc) but the ones that are personal (or, at least marketed that way, right TITO?) are a lot more fun. In my opinon.

A couple I haven't seen mentioned involve the first family of BJJ:
Royce v. Hidehiko Yoshida
Ryan Gracie v. Shungo Oyama
Gracie family v. Kazushi Sakuraba

And, this is one of my favorite HLs (I mean, I didn't make it, just enjoy it), and seems on topic: leyamaguth's Bad Blood
Yaknowhaimean
7/17/07 12:12:22PM
Hate to respond twice in a row, but just saw this in another thread, and can't believe I forgot about it. So, not only Riggs/Diaz, since this was one altercation (albeit a big one), but let's say Diaz brothers vs. the World. They certainly seem to think of it that way...

Posted by Northrend

Just wanted to show this to everyone that hasn't seen this
Back at UFC 57 after Diaz/Riggs fight they both met at the hospital and actually had a fight in the hospital. To read more follow the link..(its the written version of the MMAWeekly radio interview with both Riggs/Diaz. I remember listening to this a couple years ago but saw some Sherdog thread and it reminded me of it. If you are a premium member of MMAWeekly and can listen to the archived radio it could be the most intrested 1-2 hours of radio ever.

http://www.fightreport.net/?p=104

Taylor8766
7/17/07 12:18:12PM
What about Dana and Tito?
MisFiT
7/17/07 12:30:18PM
Zulu and his Weight.
CwB
7/17/07 2:49:34PM
What about Ortiz and Evans

has anyone else noticed how many times Ortiz has been mentioned

1ortiz and evans