The Greatest (non-mma) Wrestler Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Greatest (non-mma) Wrestler Discussion
POLL: Who was the best?
Hulk Hogan 40% (10)
Shawn Michaels 12% (3)
The Rock 16% (4)
Stone Cold Steve Austin 12% (3)
Mankind 8% (2)
Undertaker 12% (3)
Pookie
2/19/08 1:24:18AM
I was debating with my friend the other day about who was the greatest professional wrestler to ever grace the ring.

We came to the conclusion that the things that make a wrestler truly great are his charisma, connection to the fans, bad-ass-ness, and ability to continually win based on those criteria alone.

My friend Believed it to be Hulk Hogan, I on the otherhand believe it to be Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Hopefully i didnt leave any of the greats out of the poll.
ncordless
2/19/08 2:11:54AM
No Brett Hart? Or Ultimate Warrior? Ric Flair? Sting? Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat? Lex Lugar? Bruno Sanmartino(sp)? Andre the Giant? The Great Muddah?

Pookie
2/19/08 2:24:31AM
man i only had 6 spots open. i contemplated brett hart and sting, it was tough leaving them out.

Andre the giant banked on his size alone though, and when it came down to it he was still dwarfed by hulk hogans persona.
ncordless
2/19/08 3:31:12AM
I'm going to go with The Berzerker.
ufcboss
2/19/08 4:32:19AM
Out of that list, Go Undertaker.

But Cena is the best now.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/19/08 7:28:29AM
HBK
postman
2/19/08 7:32:33AM
Come on guys this is a no brainer. No one has ever come close to Hogan and you all know it.
DevonFoxy
2/19/08 9:27:35AM
The Best There was The Best there Is and The Best there Ever Will Be

kevietre
2/19/08 9:56:29AM

Serioulsy I would have to go with the Hitman, Hogan, or Austin
CornishMMA
2/19/08 9:57:07AM
I dunno tho, The Rock ticked all those boxes around '99, i think he should always be regarded higher than Stone Cold

Is The Undertaker still like 19-0 at Wrestlemanias? he will always be my fave cos of his entrances and during the Ministry, sadly spoiled by the corporate minsitry

I voted for the Hulk, cant go wrong there, he is a real american, he fights for the rights of everyman
DCRage
2/19/08 9:57:42AM
My top guys would go something like this: Naitch (Flair), Bret, Hogan, Triple Huh (HHH), Lou Thesz (maybe the greatest ever), and of course Da Brune (Bruno Sammartino). Also have to give some credit to the great puroresu (Japanese) legends: Rikidozan, Antonio Inoki, Giant Baba, Mitsuharu Misawa, Kenta Kobashi, Masa Chono, Keiji Mutoh, and the late Shin'ya Hashimoto. Several of those Japanese guys are still going.
mitch475
2/19/08 1:30:14PM
HBK, if you dont agree SUCK IT
D0wnUnd6e6r
2/19/08 1:34:45PM

Posted by mitch475

HBK, if you dont agree SUCK IT

HAHA YES!!!
iwannabesedated
2/19/08 2:19:19PM
When it comes crashing down and it huuuuurts inside...

C'mon any kid growing up in the mid 80' thru 90's knows its gotta be Hogan.

Not to be off subject but has anyone watched UWF wrestling its comes on espn2 or espn classic around 1AM every night...This stuff is so cheesy.Bruno Samartino is 1 of the announcers and theres a guy who wrestlers on there whose name is Cutie Pie..90% of the them have mullets and Dr Death Steve Williams gives a funny interview in the promo...Its hilarious.

OH Yeah NO Randy Savage your list is blasphemous How could you not put the Macho Man on the list.

The Mega Powers would Destroy all.
Pookie
2/19/08 3:00:26PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

When it comes crashing down and it huuuuurts inside...

C'mon any kid growing up in the mid 80' thru 90's knows its gotta be Hogan.

Not to be off subject but has anyone watched UWF wrestling its comes on espn2 or espn classic around 1AM every night...This stuff is so cheesy.Bruno Samartino is 1 of the announcers and theres a guy who wrestlers on there whose name is Cutie Pie..90% of the them have mullets and Dr Death Steve Williams gives a funny interview in the promo...Its hilarious.

OH Yeah NO Randy Savage your list is blasphemous How could you not put the Macho Man on the list.

The Mega Powers would Destroy all.

The macho man didnt have the magnetism or charisma as hulk hogan did, or the sheer badassness as stone cold steve austin did. He was outmatched my man.

But c'mon guys, if Stone cold was to fight any wrestler at any time in his career, he would probably be the favorite. Just because he didnt care if he was the fan favorite or not.

The one thing thats counting against hogan are his NWO days. NWO single handedly brought down the WCW (no fault of their own). He wasted quite a few years in a group that did nothing to further the sport. Just inhibit the growth of the entire organization. There were times in his career where it was just like

eh... i dont really care. someones going to jump in and its going to be a DQ because thats what always happens with the NWO.

But if stone cold was fighting; regardless of the circumstances, It was going to be a great match. Did anybody beat him, who he did not beat in return? That should speak to the sheer magnetism of his character. The man got more cheers at ufc 81 than Mir, lesnar, Nog, and sylvia combined!
iwannabesedated
2/19/08 3:44:46PM
Dude, Cmon the Macho Man oozes charisma like Razor Ramon oozed machismo..

The Macho Vs Hogan Feud...

The Macho Man Vs Ricky Steamboat match one the best ever.

To say he doesnt have charisma or magnetism is way off.

Hes Had queen Elizabeth and Sensational Sherri.

And he'll snap into a slim jim.

Hes truly one the best ever and helped make the WWF what it is today.

postman
2/19/08 4:19:31PM
I really think if you are going to say anyone other then Hogan not only do you have to say why your guy is the greatest you are also going to have to refute why Hogan isn't.
Pookie
2/19/08 5:14:22PM

Posted by postman

I really think if you are going to say anyone other then Hogan not only do you have to say why your guy is the greatest you are also going to have to refute why Hogan isn't.

i think i did
We_Todd_Did
2/19/08 6:09:07PM
What you just said about the NWO is the reason I quit watching Rasslin'.I mean, we all knew it was staged, but good God that got annoying how every show seemed to end with the entire NWO pounding on one or two guys and doing their stupid little pseudo-gangster gestures.I tried to start watching again a few years later, but then every single main event for what seemed like a year at least was always a combination of Austin, The Rock, and HHH.It's like they ran out of ideas.

Having said that, as far as pure charisma goes, I'm going with The Rock or Savage, with honorable mention to Mick Foley for his humor and sacrificing his body every match.
Aaronno9
2/19/08 6:49:42PM
Bret Hart. From the list though id choose the HBK.
NatedawgThaM
2/19/08 7:49:02PM
OMG Hulk Hogan sucks ass. He only had about 5 moves, he's the same as John Cena. Both are very overrated. For me it's between the Rock and Stone Cold. By far the famous wrestlers to ever wrestle in a WWE ring. If you ask anybody on this site if they knew two wrestlers. They'd most likely be Stone Cold and The Rock. They defined entertainment.

But I'm going with The Rock. PEOPLE'S CHAMP!
Dastardly1
2/19/08 8:34:19PM
Ric Flair
"like it or don't like it. sit back and watch it, cause it's the best thing going today. whoooooo!"
iwannabesedated
2/19/08 9:04:38PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

OMG Hulk Hogan sucks ass. He only had about 5 moves, he's the same as John Cena. Both are very overrated. For me it's between the Rock and Stone Cold. By far the famous wrestlers to ever wrestle in a WWE ring. If you ask anybody on this site if they knew two wrestlers. They'd most likely be Stone Cold and The Rock. They defined entertainment.

But I'm going with The Rock. PEOPLE'S CHAMP!

I think that will depend on what age group you ask.If you ask people my age or say anywhere from people 21 to 31 to name a wwf wrestler Hulk Hogan would be the number one answer.Stone Cold and The Rock didnt put WWF on the map and have people tune in every saturday night to watch it..Hogan,Savage,Andre the Giant those guys paved way for Stone Cold and The Rock....

Also it didnt matter if Hogan had a BJ Penn arsenal of moves...He had the Boot and the leg drop what else do you need.....And c'mon when he started to Hulk Up and became immune to fake punches it was the greatest thing in the world when your 6 yrs old knowing that hes about to win..

To say Hogan is overrated is like saying Bears dont shit in the woods.

Feel the Power of Hulkamania running wild on you BROTHA!!!!!!!!!
Cladrix
2/19/08 9:57:29PM
I am going to base this on pure talent...... not popularity like Hogan.

Bret Hart had the best talent. Also......

The Four Horsemen would come to have the greatest wrestling talent. Arn Anderson.... Rick Flair..... Brian Pillman(RIP)..... Barry Wyndam..... Dean Malenko..... Chris Benoit (RIP)... and many other great wrestlers.
cowcatcher
2/20/08 10:43:04AM
hands down its ric flair....easily. hogan is the guy i would pick on the list because when it comes down to it putting butts in seats and being charismatic is what pro wrestling is all about. the reason flair gets the nod over hogan is they were eqaully charismatic, but flair was the better in ring performer. those two guys were the most influential in wrestling history though and either one could sell out any arena in the country, maybe world just because they were on the card that night.
HubCityPunisher99
2/20/08 10:31:03PM
Guys Its Sting Fo Sho

Ordep
2/21/08 1:48:57AM

Because tonight the planets of the Wersazcki galaxy are aligned and the fury of the 7 winds blows in the opposite way. The light is dark and the vibe from Yekutre supports the people from Jurexytre and all those forces are concentrated on the Warriors match and then........................ when the black turns white........ when the shurtu is hytre ..... I shall prevaillllllll!!!!!!!!!!

Warrior #1 nuff said