The greatest MMA fights you never saw

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The greatest MMA fights you never saw
Wolfenstein
3/31/09 12:37:03PM
I came across an article recently that made me think about some of the greatest fights in MMA, that recent fans may have never seen. So I'm providing a background history, and video--of some of the best.

José "Pelé" Landi-Jons vs. Jorge Patino "Macaco

Back in the day there was a huge rivalry between Luta Livre and Brazilian Jiujitsu, and no fight put that rivalry on display like Jose vs Jorge when they met up in a Vale Tudo match.

The ring antics in this fight may never be replicated. Probably the most intense staredown in an MMA matchup to this day. One opponent is thrown out of the ring, and at one point Jorge allows his opponent to stand up, and in the middle of the match they begin jawing at each other nose to nose. One of the greatest MMA matches ever.

José "Pelé" Landi-Jons vs. Jorge Patino "Macaco" (1 of 2)
José "Pelé" Landi-Jons vs. Jorge Patino "Macaco" (2 of 2)

Igor Zinoviev vs Mario Sperry

You may remember Igor "Houdini" Zinoviev as the guy whose career was untimely ended by Frank Shamrock, in one of the sickest slams I have ever seen, but before that Igor was involved in one of the greatest MMA tournaments of the day at Extreme Fighting. In the second round he met up with tournament favorite Mario "the Zen Machine" Sperry, who would go on to found the Brazilian Top Team.

Igor Zinoviev vs Mario Sperry (download)

Takanori Gomi vs Tatsuya Kawajiri

Not as obscure as the others, but maybe you missed it. Voted by many as the best fight of 2005; Kawajiri was the shooto champion at the time, and many had the two ranked #1 (Takanori Gomi) and #2 (Kawajiri). They didn't dissapoint.

Kawajiri vs Gomi

Joe Lauzon VS Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante

An amateur match, so it doesn't show up on either fighters record. This was a great back and forth match between two fighters that would go on to have great MMA careers.

Joe Lauzon VS Gesias "JZ" Cavalcante
EvenFlow
3/31/09 12:44:13PM
I've heard a few people including Bas say that Mike Joy vs Enoch Wilson is one of the greatest fights they've ever seen. I have yet to see it but I know the result.
KINGJAMES
3/31/09 8:31:23PM

Posted by EvenFlow

I've heard a few people including Bas say that Mike Joy vs Enoch Wilson is one of the greatest fights they've ever seen. I have yet to see it but I know the result.

Mike Joy vs. Enoch Wilson part 1

part 2
Playground_Samurai
3/31/09 8:54:13PM

Posted by KINGJAMES

Posted by EvenFlow

Mike Joy vs. Enoch Wilson part 1

part 2

Pretty good, but not the best i've seen by far. Really great finish by Wilson though.