Greatest Mixed Martial arts trilogies

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Greatest Mixed Martial arts trilogies
bjj1605
11/13/08 12:47:16AM
one of the most exciting things to see in combat sports is the rubber match. When two fighters close in skill manage to split the first two fights 1-1 the third become highly anticipated. These are my favorite rubber matches and trilogies in general.

1-- Randy Couture vs Chuck

One of the greatest trilogies in all combat sports. None of the fights went to decision and all of them were exciting and competitive.

2-- Fedor vs Big Nog

Not a rubber match but a great set of fights none the less.

3-- George St. Pierre vs Matt Hughes
A classic changing of the guard. GSP was starstruck and overwhelmed by the legend but learned from the loss and came back to dominate the next two fights.

4-- Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock
The second two fights were quick but it was a great feud and a great first fight.

5-- Arlovski vs Sylvia
A great HW tilogy and one of my personal favorite feuds because i love hating on big tim.

any i missed? what do you think
ncordless
11/13/08 1:30:59AM
If you are putting Shamrock/Ortiz in there then you can put Wandy/Sakuraba.
haggiswashere
11/13/08 5:59:24AM
Soon to be Wandy/Rampage!!!
juanez13
11/13/08 6:49:31AM
Some that havent been mentioned, that i think had some great fight in them...

Couture v Belfort

Cro Cop vs Barnett

Sergei vs Overeem

ohiostate1016
11/13/08 8:49:00AM
Randy/Chuck, Fedor/Nog, and GSP/Hughes are really the only 'great' trilogies that I can think of.

Wouldn't it be great if Zuffa came out with a DVD with all 9 of these fights on the disc?

I should make a call...
wiggum
11/13/08 9:53:40AM

Posted by juanez13

Some that havent been mentioned, that i think had some great fight in them...

Couture v Belfort

Cro Cop vs Barnett

Sergei vs Overeem

[/QUOTE

sergei vs overeem wasnt a trilogy, unless im missing something.....but id love to see one irregaurdless!.....overeem capitlized on a injury the first go around, and sergie got some serious revenge a year ago, love it
Gipper
11/13/08 11:49:18AM
big nog-herring
juanez13
11/13/08 3:07:02PM

Posted by wiggum

sergei vs overeem wasnt a trilogy, unless im missing something.....but id love to see one irregaurdless!.....overeem capitlized on a injury the first go around, and sergie got some serious revenge a year ago, love it

yea, my bad on that one...Dont know what i was thinking...
bjj1605
11/13/08 4:40:53PM
i didn't put randy and belfort on there because the second fight was a freak accident that really wasn't much of a fight. the dvd thing is exactly what i had in mind. after the 3rd match between wandy and rampage zuffa should do a dvd with all the best trilogies.
bjj1605
11/13/08 4:43:22PM

Posted by ncordless

If you are putting Shamrock/Ortiz in there then you can put Wandy/Sakuraba.

i put ortiz /shamrock on there because it wasn't just about the fights. it was a deep feud and got alot of exposure for mma between the TUF episodes and the fights being free on tv.