Greatest Main Event in MMA History

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Greatest Main Event in MMA History
Next Page »
Gladiator
9/4/07 10:51:11AM
what do u guys think the best main event so far in MMA has been? the criteria are:

1. hype before the fight (was there bad blood? plenty of fans on each side? anticipated fight for a long time? ect...)

2. living up to the hype (was it everything u hoped for?)

3. end result (devestating finish or close fought decision?)

my vote goes to mirko cro cop vs wanderlei silva at the 2006 grand prix. mirko was pissed before the fight and wanderlei was predicting a knockout, fans were going crazy leading up to the event. awesome fight with a picture perfect head kick knockout to finish an awesome fight!
AchillesHeel
9/4/07 11:57:19AM
I haven't given it a lot of thought, but off the top of my head...

#1 B.J. Penn vs. Georges St. Pierre at UFC 58. In addition to being great all on its own, this fight kicked off possibly the greatest trilogy of fights I've ever seen.

#2 Cro Cop vs. Fedor at Pride - Final Conflict 2005. After the classic KO of Aleksander Emelianenko ("Emelianenko Fedor... You're next!") at Final Conflict 2004, and the buildup to the match between the two top heavyweights in the entire sport (at the time), Cro Cop actually looked a little tentative in the fight. Fedor rightfully won the Decision, but I have to believe that Cro Cop still wants a rematch.

#3 Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock at UFC 5. It's actually been forever since I've seen this fight, and I don't really remember any details. It was something like 30 goddamn minutes, though. Lots of inaction, by today's standards, but... sheesh...
JWils
9/4/07 12:56:39PM
Here are my personal favorites.......

1) Liddell vs. Ortiz 1 - awesome build up to that fight and it ended the way I wanted it to with Ortiz getting dropped.

2) Cro Cop vs. Fedor - Considered the baddest men on the planet. How can that not be one of the best main event's of all time? Let's hope we get to see Couture/Fedor

My look into the crystal ball for future "all-time great" main events -

1) W. Silva vs. Liddell - Who doesn't want to see these two go at it?
2) Couture vs. Fedor - Can Randy defeat the "machine"?
Mastodon2
9/4/07 2:50:41PM
Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva wasn't a main event. Cro Cop still had to fight Barnett in the final later that night.

My vote goes to Cro Cop versus Fedor, year long build up, loads of great fights from each man in the run up, Fedor almost getting destroyed by that head kick, immense fight! One of the greatest fights in MMA history, up there alongside Rampage / Wanderlei I + II, GSP / Matt Hughes II etc
juanez13
9/4/07 3:44:43PM
My choice would be fedor Vs Cro Cop, the two greatest heavyweights at the time going to fight each other, the fight was buildup, Fedor still undefeated, mirko the most feared kickboxer in MMA who KO'd his brother , just perfect...

i would also say Josh Barnett Vs Cro Cop in PRIDE - Final Conflict Absolute, Not so much the fight itself since they already had fought twice, but it was because Mirko was there, more determined than ever, and finally won a well deserved Title, and his reaction after he recieved the belt it showed how much it ment for him to win that title....
keith-hackney1
9/4/07 4:15:19PM
My choice would have to be couture vs liddell 1. Not for the hype before the fight, but for the stir up caused after chuck got whipped by a 39 year old fighter who should of been retired from this fight. No one gave couture a shot. Chuck had like a 5 minute intro to that fight then got humiliated by a hard working randy. He was dominated in every sense of the word, no one bet on couture. The mma magazines were shocked, every fan that didnt watch the event, read about it then desperately tried to get hold of the footage. Amazing night. The outcome of this fight changed mma forever.
Gladiator
9/4/07 5:02:35PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Cro Cop vs Wanderlei Silva wasn't a main event. Cro Cop still had to fight Barnett in the final later that night.

My vote goes to Cro Cop versus Fedor, year long build up, loads of great fights from each man in the run up, Fedor almost getting destroyed by that head kick, immense fight! One of the greatest fights in MMA history, up there alongside Rampage / Wanderlei I + II, GSP / Matt Hughes II etc

ok fine. then my vote goes to Hughes vs Penn 2. intense promotions and a great fight. reminded me a little of hughes vs trigg 2.
Jackelope
9/4/07 6:15:55PM
Hughes vs. Trigg 2 was an absolutely amazing fight, IMO. Trigg almost had him and then BAM Hughes comes back and slips in the same choke as he had in Hughes/Trigg 1. Although I'm not sure if Hughes/Trigg 2 was a main event. Anyway, in Hughes/Trigg 2 Frank was talking so much smack but then after the fight he just congratulated Hughes and gave the man all the respect he deserved. I've really liked Frank Trigg ever since then despite what people say about him.

Liddell/Ortiz had some awesome build up. That feud was going on for a LONG time. Then the stomping Liddell put down just capped it off perfectly.

Gracie/Hughes was amazing, too.

Of course you've got to throw it out there for Fedor vs. Crocop. That fight was nothing short of epic
cmill21
9/4/07 7:01:23PM
Fedor and Mirko. If theres a number 2, god I hope there is, I don't care where it is or how much a ticket cost i'll be there with my croatia jersey on screaming!!!! I want to see it for the UFC title(obviously) and I want Mirko to not think to much and not to have a sleeping disorder, and I want fedor not to have hurt his hand! Woulden't that be an epic battle?
NatedawgThaM
9/4/07 7:19:13PM
Top buld ups...

Definitly great hype for the Liddel/Ortiz sequel...

Def. great hype for UFC 71 Rampage/Liddel 2...

The great mian events I feel are yet to come...

I wanna see...

Fedor-Randy
Fedor-Cro Cop II
Rampage-Shogun II
GSP-HUges 3
BJ Penn-Frank Edgar...
Edgar-Griffin 2
Griffin-Guida 2
The_Grim_Reaper
9/4/07 7:43:14PM
why hasn't any one said the most famous rubber match ?COUTUREvsLIDDELL III , the trilogy, the saga, the build up, everything leading up to it

ALSO probally Ortiz vs Shamrock any of the matches

Gladiator
9/4/07 9:36:17PM

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

why hasn't any one said the most famous rubber match ?COUTUREvsLIDDELL III , the trilogy, the saga, the build up, everything leading up to it

ALSO probally Ortiz vs Shamrock any of the matches

i love the couture vs liddell trilogy, but IMO the fight itself did not live up to the hype surrounding it. all were great fights but i felt the third was lacking compared to the first two, chuck and randy seemed tentative in the first round and it ended in pretty much the same fashion as the second fight. thats just my opinion and in no way am i speaking for everyone else.

same goes for the ortiz vs shamrock trilogy, they were awesome on the build up part but failed to deliver in the fight.
adamal
9/4/07 9:42:37PM
Love GSP/Hughes but it's hard to bet against Fedor/CC. I actually haven't seen that fight in it's entireity but the clips I have seen along with what people say about it tell me it is probably at the top of the list.
And Couture/Lidell III was great.
Finally, I have a soft spot for Chuck/Tito II because it was the first big time fight I saw when I was getting into MMA in a heavy way rather than just watching it occasionally.
Irish209
9/5/07 2:06:09PM
i think henderson-jackson has a chance since its for the UNDISPUTED championship!! first ever!
warglory
9/5/07 10:14:56PM
Maybe not the best fight ever, but as far as being legendary:

KAZUSHI SAKURABA VS. ROYCE GRACIE
tomp6581
9/6/07 5:54:10AM
Couture V Belfort 2
Shamrock V Severn 2
Barnett V Cro Cop 1
thepunisher
9/6/07 9:18:40AM
What no one brought up the BEST triology of them all AA VS Sylvia i mean come on they knocked out each other in the 2nd fight. Then we had that epic 3rd fight that was pure excitement for all 5 rounds

pv3Hpv3p
9/6/07 10:39:37AM
The answer to this question should be Rickson Gracie vs Kazushi Sakuraba... But since that never materialized...

I think I'll go with Fedor vs CroCop... You could feel the electricity in the air, it was amazing...

Also GSP vs Hughes II was something else... I was so damn fired up for that fight, and it just seemed like Georges was reaching the top of the mountain...
DCRage
9/6/07 12:10:48PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

#3 Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock at UFC 5. It's actually been forever since I've seen this fight, and I don't really remember any details. It was something like 30 goddamn minutes, though. Lots of inaction, by today's standards, but... sheesh...

That I actually think was one of the worst. I watched it recently on the UFC Classics 5 DVD, I can't say how boring that was. It went 35 minutes (30 minute Superfight time limit plus 5 minute overtime) and was declared a draw.

I haven't seen a ton of main events, but of the ones I've seen so far I'd have to say Liddell-Couture 3 at UFC 57. UFC did a great job of hyping the fight and it seemed to deliver in the end.
Khaos
10/30/07 3:05:33AM
1. Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock 1-3
2.Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra(even though it hasen't happened yet,the fight could suck, but it most likely won't)
3.Matt Hughes vs Carlos Newton 1 & 2

another Main event that should be on the list:

Murilo Bustamonte vs Matt Lindland in the infamous "Double Tap" fight at UFC 37, oh Matt Lindland.
loller90278
10/30/07 3:09:03AM
im sure bisping-evans will be up here shortly.
cmill21
10/30/07 9:38:45AM
Cro Cop Vs. Fedor.
I seriously thought I was going to die from being so excited.
Boo_Radley21
10/30/07 9:49:03AM
Couture vs Ortiz was good because Tito got completely outwrestled.
Also Couture vs Sylvia was awesome because oh how excited everyone was for that fight. Everyone in the audience was on their feet the second Sylvia got dropped in the first round.
madmarck
10/30/07 11:08:04AM
Tito vs Couture
Fedor vs Cro Cop
Royce vs Shamrock 2
richieb19
10/30/07 11:12:17AM
Manhoef / Cyborg was a pretty damn good main event...
Taylor8766
10/30/07 12:00:58PM
I say Chuck Liddell vs. Tito Ortiz 2, that was a pretty good fight, the hype was incredible for that fight and it was the largest tickets sale in UFC history so I give it up for that fight.
tlangley
10/30/07 8:03:28PM
ask me again after UFC 79
PW
11/1/07 4:01:46AM

Posted by Mastodon2

My vote goes to Cro Cop versus Fedor

Crocop vs Fedor wasn't a main event either, Shogun vs Arona in the finals came after it.

None the less, I've never been as pumped for a fight as I was for Crocop vs Fedor. I felt like I was going to have a heart attack from Fedor's entrance onwards. Internet polls were pretty much split down the middle for that fight with a lot of people believing that Crocop would be the man to finally dethrone Fedor.
Khaos
11/1/07 2:56:18PM

Posted by Khaos

1. Tito Ortiz vs Ken Shamrock 1-3
2.Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra(even though it hasen't happened yet,the fight could suck, but it most likely won't)
3.Matt Hughes vs Carlos Newton 1 & 2

another Main event that should be on the list:

Murilo Bustamonte vs Matt Lindland in the infamous "Double Tap" fight at UFC 37, oh Matt Lindland.

I have a better list:

1.Frank Shamrock vs Phil Baroni
2.Matt Hughes vs Matt Serra
3.Rich Franklin vs David Loiusea(i don't now how to spell his last name, but it was UFC 58's main event)
hathcock32
11/1/07 3:14:36PM
1. Chuck Lidell vs Tito Ortiz II

2. Rampage vs Chuck II

Pages: [1] 2