Greatest Guitarist of All-time?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Greatest Guitarist of All-time?
Next Page »
Taylor8766
1/13/08 11:51:03AM
Who do you think is the greatest guitarist of all time.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/13/08 11:53:11AM
I'll top 5 it.

1-Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen)
2-Jimmy Page(Zeppelin)
3-Steve Vai (David lee roth, whitesnake, Frank Zappa, G3)
4-Dimebag Darrell (Pantera)
5-Stevie Ray Vaughn

Honorables: KIRK HAMMETT (Metallica), Joe Satriani (mick Jagger, Deep purple, G3) , Tommy Iommi (Black Sabbath)
ohiostate1016
1/13/08 11:57:55AM
This obviously depends on who you are, but here is my top 5:

1-Eric Clapton
2-Dave Mustaine (Megadeth)
3-Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
4-James Hetfield (Metallica)
5-Carlos Santana

Honorable mention: Jack White (The White Stripes), Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver)
SmileR
1/13/08 12:07:59PM
1:- Jimmy Page! - Anyone arguing this point hasn't heard him play!

2: - Jimmy Hendrix -

3: - Slash - The man single handedly saved rock! An he can play like a king!

4: - George Harrison - A very underrated guitarist. His hooks are arguably the reason the beatles songs are so catchy.

5: - B.B King - Because he's a blues genius!
ButterBalls
1/13/08 12:17:21PM
Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Hendrix
Van Halen
Jeff Beck
DCRage
1/13/08 12:21:51PM
Eddie Van Halen. The guy is/was in a class by himself.
Boo_Radley21
1/13/08 12:52:35PM
Hendrix and Morello are on the top of my list.
ohiostate1016
1/13/08 1:24:01PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Honorables: KIRK HAMMETT (Metallica)

Just because Hammett is the lead guitarist of Metallica doesn't mean that he is necessarily better than Hetfield. I guess it depends on your opinion though. I'm a Hetfield fan, but you obviously have strong opinions on this (hence the caps).
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/13/08 1:56:18PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Just because Hammett is the lead guitarist of Metallica doesn't mean that he is necessarily better than Hetfield. I guess it depends on your opinion though. I'm a Hetfield fan, but you obviously have strong opinions on this (hence the caps).

yeah kinda very opinionated on the Hetfield vs Hammett . been the heart of alot of arguments with my friends over the years. I just thinks Hammett's better cause he can do whatever Hetfield does only better ( according to me ) and well Hetfield just doesnt have the sharpness or solo capability that Kirk has. Yes James does have some sick riffs under his belt but thats about all he's got.
iwannabesedated
1/13/08 2:12:04PM
I Agree with most the names on the List..But Billy Gibbons is always overlooked the guy can wail..and Joe Satriani
ohiostate1016
1/13/08 2:29:49PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Posted by ohiostate1016

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

yeah kinda very opinionated on the Hetfield vs Hammett . been the heart of alot of arguments with my friends over the years. I just thinks Hammett's better cause he can do whatever Hetfield does only better ( according to me ) and well Hetfield just doesnt have the sharpness or solo capability that Kirk has. Yes James does have some sick riffs under his belt but thats about all he's got.

Point well taken. First I want to commend you for responding in an adult-like manner. Too many times before (on this board and other places) people immediately get defensive when you question them.

And now to my response. I'm a huge fan of Metallica as a whole, and I do agree that Hetfield does less for the band from a guitar standpoint than Hammett does, but I think that is mainly because Hetfield is also the lead vocalist. It's very difficult to be both a lead vocalist and lead guitarist. Very few can pull that off (Eric Clapton is one of them, and that's why he's no. 1 on my list).

Plus, how can you just trivialize the riffs of Hetfield? They are just as important as the stuff that Hammett does. Basically, Hammett is the consistent one while Hetfield is the one that shows amazing flashes of brilliance. I guess it depends on which style you prefer.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/13/08 2:35:00PM
Yep I agree. Hetfield is one great frontman that's for sure.
SmileR
1/13/08 2:57:26PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

I Agree with most the names on the List..But Billy Gibbons is always overlooked the guy can wail..and Joe Satriani

Billy Gibbons is awesome! Crap i forgot about him! Swap BB for him on my list
HeadKase
1/13/08 3:12:26PM
Not going to rank them but you guys should check out Willie and Mark from Lamb of God. And 1 of my new favorites is Chris Broderick from Nevermore and now Megadeth.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Rush
1/13/08 4:36:01PM
I don't know guitarists very well, but here are a few names that I think deserve mention

Eric Clapton
Jeff Healy
Carlos Santana
BB King

Who was the guy that could make his guitar talk?
cmill21
1/13/08 7:17:06PM
Hendrix.
Boo_Radley21
1/13/08 7:31:53PM

Posted by Rush

I don't know guitarists very well, but here are a few names that I think deserve mention

Eric Clapton
Jeff Healy
Carlos Santana
BB King

That was Peter Frampton was it not?
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/13/08 7:33:29PM

Posted by Rush

Eric Clapton
Jeff Healy
Carlos Santana
BB King

Peter Frampton and I Love Your Way was the "famous" song
slamdunk
1/13/08 8:23:20PM
whos played guitar hero

im addicted to that game

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood
mrsmiley
1/13/08 8:48:41PM
Well when it comes to the greatest I would say

1.Hendrix
2.Clapton
3.Eddie Van Halen
4.Tonny Iomii
5.Jimmie Page

When it comes to the best

1.Steve Morse (Dixie Dreggs,Steve Morse Band)
2.Yngwei Malmsteen (The best at classical guitar,and probably the fastest.
3.Joe Satriani
4.Steve Vai
5.Eric Johnson

(4 of those 5 have been on the G3 tour)
ko-kbo130
1/13/08 9:19:07PM
jimmi hendrix
eric clapton
herman li
slash
buckethead
Pookie
1/13/08 11:18:26PM

Posted by cmill21

Hendrix.

This is the only acceptable answer. If you disagree, you are wrong.

The man is a legend.
Rush
1/13/08 11:58:45PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

Peter Frampton and I Love Your Way was the "famous" song

Ok thanks. Frampton was the guy, but the song I was thinking of was:

1980 Live "Do You Feel Like We Do"

I did a little reading and was disappointed to find that it is not his guitar playing. He uses a device called a talkbox. And here I was convinced he could do things with his guitar that was cool.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/14/08 7:14:10AM
Yeah i use to think that it actually talked when i was younger. truth is lots and lots of bands have used the talkbox, just not as much as frampton. Stevie Wonder used it! Sambora from Bon Jovi (Who should never be mentionned again in this thread) , alice in chains and Floyd. About all I can think of right now.
Mastodon2
1/14/08 7:29:29AM
Yngwie Malmsteen is not even close to the fastest guitarist.

Francesco is the second fastest, just behind Rusty Cooley. In terms of pure technical ability, Rusty Cooley is first. There is no one on earth who can play with the speed and precision he plays with.

In terms of pure musical ability, which comprises compositional ability and quality in a range of styles, and their ability to improvise meaningfully and truly over insane chord, rhythm and time changes, then no one tops John Mclaughlin and the late Shawn Lane. These two guys are in a class of their own. They are so far beyond anyone else its ridiculous.

Shawn Lane showing why he was #1

It gets a bit crazy after 90 seconds. By the end he is just tearing away, and to be fair thats the best video I could find, the stuff he did on cd was even scarier! What really gets me is that no matter how ridiculously fast he was playing, no matter how crazy his phrasing was getting or how intense his backing was, he was never less than flawless, and most of the time he had his eyes closed or he was staring into the ceiling!
mrsmiley
1/14/08 8:11:29AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Yngwie Malmsteen is not even close to the fastest guitarist.

Francesco is the second fastest, just behind Rusty Cooley. In terms of pure technical ability, Rusty Cooley is first. There is no one on earth who can play with the speed and precision he plays with.

In terms of pure musical ability, which comprises compositional ability and quality in a range of styles, and their ability to improvise meaningfully and truly over insane chord, rhythm and time changes, then no one tops John Mclaughlin and the late Shawn Lane. These two guys are in a class of their own. They are so far beyond anyone else its ridiculous.

Shawn Lane showing why he was #1

It gets a bit crazy after 90 seconds. By the end he is just tearing away, and to be fair thats the best video I could find, the stuff he did on cd was even scarier! What really gets me is that no matter how ridiculously fast he was playing, no matter how crazy his phrasing was getting or how intense his backing was, he was never less than flawless, and most of the time he had his eyes closed or he was staring into the ceiling!

Read what I said again.At classical guitar Yngwie is unmatched.On top of that,he can play as fast on an acoustic guitar as he can electric.

Every player has special merits for their own particular style,and when it comes to classical,Yngwie has got the best chops pound for pound.
Mastodon2
1/14/08 8:28:59AM
Erm Im sorry but just because Yngwie plays harmonic minor scales over staccato harmonic minor chord progressions doesnt make it classical guitar. Even he only ever called it "Neoclassical", which again is a genre defined by harmonic and natural minor scale soloing, just like blues is defined by pentatonic soloing.

This is classical guitar

As played by arguably the best classical guitarist of this era, Kazuhito Yamashita. As you can see, its vastly different from what Yngwie does. Just because Yngwie takes inspiration from Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Beethovan etc, doesnt make him classical. Steve Vai takes inspiration from bulgarian wedding singers but it doesnt make him a bulgarian wedding guitarist

Oh, playing as fast on Acoustic as you can is electric is not big feat. The tension difference can actually make it easier to play faster on an acoustic, because with Nylon strings you have less tension, so there is less resistance to the pick, and with Steel strings you have more, so you can dig in more and the strings will still sound out properly. Really, the advantage of the electric is the ability to bend more easily and be expressive, of the 3 is technically the worst for fast picking, but because so many people play them for so long we see a lot of highly developed pickers.

And if you want to ask who is p4p in the neoclassical genre, well that quite easily would go to Jason Becker. His technical facilty was far more advanced than Malmsteen, he was faster, a much better sweeper and could pick much more complex phrases than Yngwie. I like Yngwie, and I have most of his albums, he makes some fun music, but he aint the best.

Think of him like this, he is a ford mustang. You might really like Mustangs, with their style, looks and feel, which is cool, I like them too, but they will never beat a Bugatti Veyron or a Lambo Diablo on the race track!
mrsmiley
1/14/08 8:51:55AM
You can't play blackstar and tell me thats not classical.But it don't suprise with all the great guitrarist coming up though,that their are probably a lot of guys taking what Yngwei did and adding on to it.

And I must ask if you play guit ,because if you did,I don't see how you can make the claim acoustic is no big feat,and I can tell you,their is a major difference in playing on electric and acoustic.Playing electric adds more advantages than that.Especially when you add in distrotion and other effects.Playing acoustic,you can hear the mistakes.Not always true on electric.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/14/08 9:44:06AM

Posted by mrsmiley
And I must ask if you play guit ,because if you did,I don't see how you can make the claim acoustic is no big feat,and I can tell you,their is a major difference in playing on electric and acoustic.Playing electric adds more advantages than that.Especially when you add in distrotion and other effects.Playing acoustic,you can hear the mistakes.Not always true on electric.

I do play guit, and I think your 100% right on that one
Mastodon2
1/14/08 9:47:12AM
I've played guitar every day for about the last 6 or 7 years, and I have owned a multitude of Acoustic, Nylon string and electric guitars, and played a variety of styles. I great out of Neoclassical when I was about 15, once I started listening to Jazz fusion, indian classical and world music I realised how blinkered shredders were and quickly distanced myself from that rather embaressing trend.

And yes, the advantage of electric guitar I pointed out was simply related to purely technical facilities. I don't see why you would bring amps, effects etc into a technical facility discussion.
Pages: [1] 2