Greatest Grappler in MMA History

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Greatest Grappler in MMA History
Next Page »
chickmagnet
11/17/07 7:59:56PM
Thoughts?

I think Royce Gracie, or maybe Big Nog.
jehng
11/17/07 8:25:44PM
Rickson has always been the best of the Gracies.
richieb19
11/17/07 8:54:44PM
Masakatsu Funaki, hands down. There is no other MMA grappler that even comes close.
NatedawgThaM
11/17/07 9:05:32PM
Mark Coleman

Jus kiddin

I'm going with richieb19 on this on

Masakatsu Funaki, hands down.
richieb19
11/17/07 9:07:21PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Mark Coleman

Masakatsu Funaki, hands down.

As much as a joke as that was, takedowns and control are still a pivital part of grappling... with that said, Masakatsu Funaki hands down lol...
NatedawgThaM
11/17/07 9:17:24PM
Well if were talking about submission grappling then Coleman is getting killed lol, but he's definitley one of if not the best amaetur or freestyle wrestler in MMA. BUt if he knew how to defend an armbar and a triangle then I think he'd be a great grappler! Who wins off points.

Masakatsu Funaki Son!
fullerene
11/17/07 10:51:45PM
Sato, Rickson, Royce, Sperry, Saku, F. Shamrock, Penn, BIg Nog, Yoshida...in no particular order
SpiderSilva
11/18/07 2:43:19AM
what about fedor he handles his own every time on the ground even when he was in trouble
cmill21
11/18/07 2:53:25AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

what about fedor he handles his own every time on the ground even when he was in trouble

I guess you could say he's decent on the ground
madmarck
11/18/07 8:45:44AM
In terms of pure grappling
Im gonna nominate Mark Kerr
Won the ADCC as a WRESTLER and went 15-0 in it.
not to shabby
he also won two UFC tournaments

Considering his wrestling ability and the ADCC win i think he should be up there.
jomatty
11/18/07 9:39:19AM
rickson is definitely in another league than royce (although im love royce despite all the haters). it is so hard to judge between guys who are great grapplers in different disciplines. there are guys like rickson who are so good fundamentally in bjj, their are the olympic caliber greco guys like lindland, and then their are the flashier bjj guys like jacare who are so quick and explosive, as well as japanese wrestlers like sakuraba or postional bjj guys like arona, not to mention guys like nastula or another judoka with a strong standing and ground game. who is the best? i couldnt even hazard a guess but i would say that rickson has got to be in the discussion, as well as the olympic caliber bjj guys like lindland and henderson (although randy may implement his wrestling better than anyone despite not being quite as good in a strictly wrestling scenario).
richieb19
11/18/07 1:39:38PM

Posted by fullerene

Sato, Rickson, Royce, Sperry, Saku, F. Shamrock, Penn, BIg Nog, Yoshida...in no particular order

IMHO Yoshida could probably sub anyone in MMA today...

How can you put F. Shammy on there without Ken. Ken is a MUCH better grappler than Frank... and since you mentionned Sato, lets not forget Sudo...
SpiderSilva
11/18/07 2:50:55PM
what about BJ Penn
roadking95th
11/18/07 2:56:14PM
I agree it is very hard, or rather impossible, to nominate just one. Here's my nominee, even though he has already been mentioned, I think sometimes he gets left out of the discussions because he is a catch wrestler and ot bjj, judo, freestyle, or greco. Here's just for more recognition.

SAKURABA

warglory
11/18/07 3:03:51PM
Its hard to say in history, but here are a few:

Ricardo Arona (15-0 in Abu Dhabi, not the best in MMA, but he is still underrated)
Kazushi Sakuraba (this is kinda self explanatory)
Big Nog (best vale tudo grappler I have ever seen)
Rickson Gracie (he has his own catchphrase, come on!)
Dan Henderson (best wrestler I have seen in MMA)
Matt Hughes (another dominant wrestler)

There are a gazillion more, but keep in mind folks, this should be people who have been effective with their skills in MMA. Dean Lister and Jeremy Horn for example are amazing grapplers, but they are no where neat the best in MMA.

fedorwins1
11/18/07 5:54:01PM
Jacare and Marcello Garcia.
Taylor8766
11/18/07 6:10:21PM
what about Couture
fullerene
11/18/07 8:15:34PM

Posted by madmarck

not to shabby

Considering his wrestling ability and the ADCC win i think he should be up there.

That's a good justification for him if you're criteria is who would win in a grappling contest. I took it more as "who uses grapplng best in MMA" and I think there are guys who do/did that better than Kerr.

I don't think he was 15-0 in ADCC since Arona beat him. Arona is another great grappler in grappling tourneys who can't sub anyone in MMA.
victoryONE
11/18/07 8:16:21PM

Posted by Taylor8766

what about Couture

XTINCT Couture
Schizoidman
11/19/07 12:02:35AM
Has Marcello Garcia had his first MMA bout yet?
fullerene
11/19/07 8:04:58AM

Posted by Schizoidman

Yes. He got TKOd by a fighter with a losing record. A good example of why I chose to pick my list based on who could use subs in an MMA fight, not who would win a grappling match. We already know Garcia beats anyone at his weight if it's straight grappling.
fedorwins1
11/19/07 10:43:50AM

Posted by Schizoidman

Yeah, he was dominating the fight, even took the guys back; in the second round though he went for a takedown and got caught by a knee that opened up a nasty cut and the doctor stopped the fight. Sucks, but he said he'll be back and I have faith that someday he will become a great fighter.
tomp6581
11/19/07 11:14:28AM
Yoshida?
State_Champ
11/19/07 11:23:24AM
idk which one but i definitley think the gracies are the best grapplers at least in BJJ scenario
cowcatcher
11/19/07 12:42:11PM
i think id go with matt hughes if this means who utilizes their wrestling best in mma, i think his record speaks for itself, and its not like hes been in there winning on his world class stand up.
madmarck
11/19/07 3:20:16PM

Posted by fullerene

Posted by madmarck

not to shabby

That's a good justification for him if you're criteria is who would win in a grappling contest. I took it more as "who uses grapplng best in MMA" and I think there are guys who do/did that better than Kerr.

I don't think he was 15-0 in ADCC since Arona beat him. Arona is another great grappler in grappling tourneys who can't sub anyone in MMA.

Sorry my bad i rechecked he is 15-1.
Arona is 13-0
hippysmacker
11/19/07 6:10:48PM

Posted by fullerene

Excellent list. I would assume by yours you mean sub grapplers in MMA( no fedor, hendo, Couture) , although I beleive Fedors sub skills are now worthy of the list . I would also like to add Paulo Filho, and mark my words in a year we will all be talking about Demian Maia.
fedorwins1
11/19/07 6:50:25PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I would also like to add Paulo Filho, and mark my words in a year we will all be talking about Demian Maia.

Demian Maia is an absolute BEAST! I think this guy is going to be in the title picture very very soon. Amazing grappling skills and ever improving striking. He is certainly a force to be reckon with.
richieb19
11/20/07 11:21:33PM

Posted by tomp6581

Yoshida?

As far as active MMA grapplers go, he's debatably number 1.

Also it's important to note that although grappling is the same everywhere (taught and used differently though ofcrourse) the ruleset in which it is held determines it's use more than anything... simply put MMA grappling is it's own beast, so comparing nogi records such as in ADCC doesn't convert.

With that said, Yoshida is my pick for #1 active MMA grappler and Masa Funaki #1 of all time.
Mayhem13
11/21/07 12:25:01AM
as far as pure Ju Jitsu goes, I would have to say Rickson owns that title imo...but there are many GREAT grapplers

Funkai
Saku
Nog (big)
Yoshida

and as far as taking someone down and dominating position Sherk is a master at that

BJ Penn has crazy sick groundgame (Joe Rogan lingo)...he just doesnt have the drive/focus sometimes I think...
Pages: [1] 2