Greatest fighters ever?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Greatest fighters ever?
POLL: Greatest UFC fighters?
Matt Hughes 25% (15)
IceMan Chuck L. 16% (10)
Royce Gracie 23% (14)
Dan Severn 5% (3)
Ken Shamrock 7% (4)
Randy C. 25% (15)
tamarslay3
1/16/07 7:54:24PM
yeah do the poll
waylon_o
1/16/07 10:13:35PM
Royce Gracie is probably the most revolutionary fighter ever...obviously because he brought mixed martial arts to the mainstream. But he doesn't hold a candle to his brother Rickson...Why is Rickson not on the list? He is undefeated and has fought almost 500 fights...I am willing to bet that more than a few of those fights may have been fabricated though
strikefirstgear
1/17/07 3:01:35AM
500 fights and undefeated?? No padding there.
waylon_o
1/17/07 8:41:13AM
That really is what he says his record is...look it up...I dont' believe it, but I'm sure he really has had a crapload of fights, and if he's not really undefeated, then I'm sure the guy who did beat him would raise hell about him saying that he is undefeated.
XRAYMAN
1/17/07 8:51:08AM
Even though Royce is my fav fighter, Matt hughs is the best and most dominent UFC fighter out there right now. And the worst part about it is that I don't even like Hughs!! But that's reality.
nate22
1/17/07 9:58:01AM
Oh no, seriously it really isn't Rickson.

Hard question to answer though really, greatest fighter ever Fedor, his record speaks for itself. Greatest UFC fighter, personally I would say Matt Hughes.
WaikruMass
1/17/07 10:29:43AM
Best UFC fighters ever.
waylon_o
1/17/07 12:12:39PM
I wasn't saying that I thought Rickson was the greatest fighter ever...I don't think he is. I was just saying that I think he's better than anyone on that list. Fedor should definitely be on there...Cro Cop should be on there...Sakuraba...there are so many
hippysmacker
1/17/07 1:03:54PM
I'll only put people who have been a champion or who have competed for a significant amount of time. Altough I'm sure many current top figher's will end up desrving to be included. Fedor,Hughes,Sakaraba, Royce, Big Nog, Lidell, W. Silva,Coutre, Cro-cop, GSP,Kid Yamamoto, ,Lindland, D. Henderson, F. Shamrock(altough I think his time has passed) , P. militech. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
CDW
1/17/07 1:17:57PM
Where the **** is Fedor Emelianenko!
Why is he not on the list?
thepitbull00
1/17/07 2:26:44PM

Posted by waylon_o

That really is what he says his record is...look it up...I dont' believe it, but I'm sure he really has had a crapload of fights, and if he's not really undefeated, then I'm sure the guy who did beat him would raise hell about him saying that he is undefeated.

His official professional record lists him as 11-0 but that doesn't take into account his fights that may have been under the radar in Brazil.
waylon_o
1/17/07 2:48:41PM
Have you ever seen him fight on Pride on FSN? they list him as like 496-0. But even Helio says he thinks some of those fights may have been fabricated.
thepitbull00
1/17/07 7:22:34PM
Even the official Pride website only lists Rickson Gracie as 9-0 overall. I don't know where 496 came from. (Perhaps that includes his jiu jitsu matches as well)
cowcatcher
1/17/07 7:28:55PM
If it's only UFC it has to be Hughes based on longevity, # of fights, and quality of opponents, Royce was an innovator though, as far as rickson goes, his first fight listed on sherdog is in 1980 and goes until 2000, I'm sure there have been a few in between that aren't recognized
tamarslay3
1/17/07 8:33:55PM
sorry that i didnt add cro crop forgot bout him
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
nate22
1/17/07 8:44:48PM

Posted by thepitbull00

Even the official Pride website only lists Rickson Gracie as 9-0 overall. I don't know where 496 came from. (Perhaps that includes his jiu jitsu matches as well)

Yes it does.
strikefirstgear
1/17/07 8:58:34PM
I agree that for the UFC you have to look at Hughes for what he has done. Would like to see some others on the list but if it is from that list Hughes has been the most dominant.
Savy
1/18/07 12:51:46AM
In this modern age of MMA, Matt Hughes is a great candidate owing to his longevity, title defences, and the quality of he fighters he has beaten.
Nobody on this side of the Pacific has dominated a weightclass like Matt Hughes.
Savy
1/18/07 1:17:05AM
In less than five years Fedor has accumulated wins over Schilt, Herring, Fujita, Goodridge, Randleman, TK, MIrko, Hunt, Coleman twice, and Rodrigo Nogueira twice.
16 of his 27 opponents did not survive the first round.
He suffered one loss, it was due to a cut in the first round.
Fedor shined brightest in a star-studded Pride Heavyweight division.
He comes from Russia, his record is 25 - 1 with 1 no contest, and he is the greatest fighter in the world.
nate22
1/18/07 4:47:03AM

Posted by Savy

In less than five years Fedor has accumulated wins over Schilt, Herring, Fujita, Goodridge, Randleman, TK, MIrko, Hunt, Coleman twice, and Rodrigo Nogueira twice.
16 of his 27 opponents did not survive the first round.
He suffered one loss, it was due to a cut in the first round.
Fedor shined brightest in a star-studded Pride Heavyweight division.
He comes from Russia, his record is 25 - 1 with 1 no contest, and he is the greatest fighter in the world.

End of thread?
amik
1/31/07 12:13:52PM
I think in Royce Gracie like the most innovator on the MMA. But it's history only.

The best is the most winner¿? The most espectacular?...

Royce Gracie the greatest on the past.
Hugues on the present.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
hippysmacker
1/31/07 3:42:45PM

Posted by waylon_o

Royce Gracie is probably the most revolutionary fighter ever...obviously because he brought mixed martial arts to the mainstream. But he doesn't hold a candle to his brother Rickson...Why is Rickson not on the list? He is undefeated and has fought almost 500 fights...I am willing to bet that more than a few of those fights may have been fabricated though

Rickson was the best Gracie of his time, but Royce has far more victories against real MMA fighter's. Rickson's 400-0 record is first of all false,. He lost a well publicized Judo match, then claimed he didn't know the rules. Which is funny because he had been in other Judo matches. He has never fought one credible MMA guy even in the top 10 of any weight class except for Funaki , who I'm sure most would agree would be murdered by anyone in the top 10 at 205 today. His own father made fun of how he comes by his record. Saying that Rickson counts training matches and such. He also said by Rickson's way of counting he would have a million victories. Whenever someone ask him to fight he ask for double what the highest paid fighter ask for. I think he is like Frank Shamrock, once a guy ahead of his time, and now all talk. Both of them always ask for too much money to fight IMO ,in order to preserve the illusion they are still great, knowing someone will never pay what they ask. Don't get me wrong, Frank and Rickson are still legends and deservedly so. Still, they need to put up or shut up , because they are no longer ahead of the majority of good fighter's. Frank still is young enough to do something about it. Rickson is almost 50 so I doubt we will ever see him vs sakuraba like we all wanted. Still, I think he would take that fight for 3 million dollars , and even if loses he'd still have 3 million dollars to laugh about.
ElGuApO91
1/31/07 5:17:02PM
im pretty sure the greatest fighter ever is not up there ur forgetting alot of guys. best ever lol
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
waylon_o
1/31/07 5:26:26PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by waylon_o

Rickson was the best Gracie of his time, but Royce has far more victories against real MMA fighter's. Rickson's 400-0 record is first of all false,. He lost a well publicized Judo match, then claimed he didn't know the rules. Which is funny because he had been in other Judo matches. He has never fought one credible MMA guy even in the top 10 of any weight class except for Funaki , who I'm sure most would agree would be murdered by anyone in the top 10 at 205 today. His own father made fun of how he comes by his record. Saying that Rickson counts training matches and such. He also said by Rickson's way of counting he would have a million victories. Whenever someone ask him to fight he ask for double what the highest paid fighter ask for. I think he is like Frank Shamrock, once a guy ahead of his time, and now all talk. Both of them always ask for too much money to fight IMO ,in order to preserve the illusion they are still great, knowing someone will never pay what they ask. Don't get me wrong, Frank and Rickson are still legends and deservedly so. Still, they need to put up or shut up , because they are no longer ahead of the majority of good fighter's. Frank still is young enough to do something about it. Rickson is almost 50 so I doubt we will ever see him vs sakuraba like we all wanted. Still, I think he would take that fight for 3 million dollars , and even if loses he'd still have 3 million dollars to laugh about.

I realize that a lot of his fights are fabricated, but that wasn't my point. My point was that Royce was probably the best on that list (IMO) but he still isn't as good as Rickson.
atlas777
11/1/07 9:45:07AM
Matt Hughes is probably the best but on that list close behind would have to Randy Couture, he has dominated his entire career, beat the best of the best and he is willing to fight anyone, you can never underestimate Randy Couture.
Manfred
11/1/07 9:29:46PM

Posted by atlas777

Matt Hughes is probably the best but on that list close behind would have to Randy Couture, he has dominated his entire career, beat the best of the best and he is willing to fight anyone, you can never underestimate Randy Couture.

I wouldn't say he dominated his entire career. Why would he be 16-8 (13-5 in the UFC) GG was his first successful title defense (not counting the interim LHW) Randy might be the greatest underdog ever, but def. not the greatest fighter ever.

I picked Hughes from the list, but if we're counting non-UFC, it's easy.. FEDOR
ohiostate1016
11/1/07 10:26:13PM
You guys aren't even close. Nobody has even thought about mentioning this guy, but I'm going to save you all. This man is 5-8, and 205 pounds. He will, in his own words, "Knock [anyone] the f*ck out." He is, from London, England, Ross Pointon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mastodon2
11/2/07 9:16:33AM
From UFC, Matt Hughes easily, the only people I see possibly displacing him are GSP and Anderson Silva in terms of domination. GSP proved he is better than Matt by decisively beating him, but when all is said and done, no one will be considered the most dominant UFC fighter ever unless they can beat Matt's record of a long time, fighting tough opponents and winning, and winning well.

For that very same Reason, the best fighter ever is Fedor, and until someone dominates the quality of opposition he has, for as long as he has, no one can be considered "better" than him.
Boo_Radley21
11/3/07 2:04:31PM
Tank Abbott.

But seriously from that list it would probably be Matt Hughes. I was gonna say Randy but it's true that he hasn't been as dominant as some of the other fighters in the UFC. It's just the fact that when he wins it's so impressive, his age, and most of theguys he has beat in the UFC are very skilled fighters.