Greatest Fight Ever

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Greatest Fight Ever
PeteD
4/1/07 6:01:48PM
In the history of PrideFC and the UFC, what would you guys say is the greatest fight ever. I'd prefer th fight have both a war on the feet and a chess match on the ground.
hcazlekker
4/1/07 6:22:58PM
I can't even begin to say.

Some of the most exciting matches (in terms of the ground game) imo were Sakuraba vs Newton and Matsui vs Newton. Hell, Matsui vs Pele was fun as well.
Stickan
4/1/07 8:19:37PM
Gomi - Diaz is right up there for me. There have been lots of great fights over the years but that's the first one that pops up in my head.

Other really really good fights are:
Jackson - Silva 2
Sanchez - Parisyan
Hansen - Azeredo
hcazlekker
4/1/07 8:49:41PM

Posted by Stickan

Gomi - Diaz is right up there for me. There have been lots of great fights over the years but that's the first one that pops up in my head.

Other really really good fights are:
Jackson - Silva 2
Sanchez - Parisyan
Hansen - Azeredo

Gomi/Diaz was a blast. Jackson/Silva went to war in both of their fights.

Diaz sure as hell earned his win

Rush
4/1/07 8:55:05PM
Tough question to answer. I would say that it is relatively unanswerable.

Here are some honourable mentions.

Newton vs Sakuraba was definitely up there for me.

I would give Karo vs Diego best or second best of 2006 for me (Hughes vs GSP for the other)

I really liked Shamrock vs Gracie in UFC 1.

There were a couple really good Rickson Gracie fights too.

Cro Cop vs Fedor - nothing like a good war

Huckit
4/1/07 9:36:22PM
kimbo slive vs sean gannon
tomp6581
4/1/07 9:45:36PM
to hard to answer. One i always remember fondly is Gracie V Severn in ufc 4....fantastic
warglory
4/1/07 10:58:25PM
Hmmmmmm...this is a tough one. Here is my list of some standouts:

Silva vs. Arona II
Sakuraba vs. Newton (most exciting ground match I have ever seen)
Hunt vs. Cro Cop
Sylvia vs. Couture (wow...just wow)
Couture vs. Liddell I
Severn vs. Gracie (another good ground bout)
Sakuraba vs. Royce Gracie
Henderson vs. Silva

There are def more, but yeah...
loller90278
4/1/07 11:12:38PM
along with those mentioned i'd like to nominate :

El Nino vs Crusher
Fireball kid vs Azeredo

richieb19
4/1/07 11:27:23PM
Ken Shamrock Vs. Don Frye is one of my presonal favorites...
Gladiator
4/2/07 12:21:51AM
didnt have much standup, but one of my all time favs was Hughes v Trigg 2 i can still remember the first time i saw it i thought hughes was done when trigg got mount... and then out of nowhere hughes escapes the choke picks trigg up and runs across the octagon to slam him on the otherside! another one of my favorites that comes to mind is Bj v GSP, that was a war!
Manfred
4/2/07 12:47:47AM
Some great ones mentioned already.

Holy Crap Factor: Frye-Takayama

Best Ending: Smith / Drago
Sam_Rothstein
4/2/07 7:29:10AM
joe stevenson vs josh neer
Mastodon2
4/2/07 12:09:07PM
Rampage vs Silva II @ Pride High Octane comes to mind
Cro Cop vs Coleman
Cro Cop vs Heath Herring
Nogueria vs Coleman was an awesome show from Nog
Arlovski vs Sylvia I was ace, II and III were abysmal
hcazlekker
4/2/07 2:33:52PM
In terms of (greatest) outright abuse of another fighter;

Fedor vs Herring
Vovchanchyn vs Enson
Murilo vs Matsui
Murilo vs Andrade
Silva vs Matsui

Matsui is a frikken warrior, same with Enson. I've always dreamt of a matchup between Matsui and Enson with bats. They would take it to a split decision.
pv3Hpv3p
4/3/07 3:51:52PM
I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, so I have to...

Wanderlei Silva vs Guy Metzger was one of the best wars I have ever seen... Personally I loved Wandy's reaction when he finally got the KO... Classic

War Wandy!!!
hcazlekker
4/3/07 4:06:54PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, so I have to...

Wanderlei Silva vs Guy Metzger was one of the best wars I have ever seen... Personally I loved Wandy's reaction when he finally got the KO... Classic

War Wandy!!!

Mezger vs Silva is a classic. Imo, Mezger never got his due credit. His record may not be the most impressive, but he always put up a good fight.

Liddell had a tough time handling Mezger in the 1st rnd of their bout... then bam! LOL!

Mezger, hands down, has the most photogenic KOs. Never seen someone who can look as good as Mezger while KOd.
cowcatcher
4/3/07 4:22:47PM
Mezger vs Silva is a classic. Imo, Mezger never got his due credit. His record may not be the most impressive, but he always put up a good fight.

Liddell had a tough time handling Mezger in the 1st rnd of their bout... then bam! LOL!

Mezger, hands down, has the most photogenic KOs. Never seen someone who can look as good as Mezger while KOd.

except maybe justin eilers
johny_rotten
4/3/07 4:45:22PM
Randy/Rizzo 1 was the best fight I have ever seen at the time, and I think still has that honor. Rampage/Silva 2 is very close. Some honorable mentions that haven't been mentioned would be:

Newton/Pele
Cro Cop/Nog
Cro Cop/Barnett 2
Randy/Chuck 1
Vitor/Chuck
Shogun/Lil Nog

My favorite fight due to outcome:Chuck/Rampage
Stickan
4/3/07 5:16:57PM
Manhoef - Cyborg was pretty intense.

Diaz - Sanchez was one of my fav UFC fights.

Villasenor - Chonan and
Gomi - Kawajiri are two of my Bushido favs.
ddphag
4/3/07 5:30:11PM
Matt hughes vs. Bj penn 2 is the most exciting fight in my mind
Mastodon2
4/3/07 6:55:12PM
Hughes vs Trigg II was immense. It looked like it was all over for Hughes when Trigg landed that dirty Sack shot and the ref didnt step in, but Hughes just brought it back from the brink!
pv3Hpv3p
4/4/07 11:32:58AM
I've got to throw in Chuck vs Vernon 'Tiger' White... I can't believe that White kept coming after taking all those shots... And coming back and landing a couple of big punches when it looked like he was on his way out... What a warrior...

Would anyone want to see a rematch of that fight?
cowcatcher
4/4/07 11:46:45AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I've got to throw in Chuck vs Vernon 'Tiger' White... I can't believe that White kept coming after taking all those shots... And coming back and landing a couple of big punches when it looked like he was on his way out... What a warrior...

Would anyone want to see a rematch of that fight?

tiger didnt get a ton of love after that fight mainly because he was rocked again and again throughout, but i was damn impressed with the guys heart and grit, i wasnt a fan of his before that fight but he gained one on his sheer determination.

dont think it will happen again though, they have acquired too much talent now to have many rematches with chuck as he gets up there in years
Svabbi
4/4/07 12:10:24PM
Pedro Rizzo VS Josh Barnett was awesome.