Who do you think is the greatest boxer ever?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Who do you think is the greatest boxer ever?
POLL: Who's the greatest?
Flloyd Maywheather Jr. 13% (4)
Muhammed Ali 33% (10)
Rocky Marciano 33% (10)
Sugar Ray Robinson 20% (6)
Henry Armstrong 0% (0)
George Foreman 0% (0)
Taylor8766
7/31/07 6:26:00PM
Who do you think is the greatest Boxer ever?
juanez13
7/31/07 6:27:24PM
Mike tyson for sure....back in the day he was the man..................
NatedawgThaM
7/31/07 6:34:46PM
Bernard Hopkins for sure....Philly reppin!!!!

He needs to rematch Roy Jones and stomp on him and win all the LHW titles boyyyeee!!!!
TOMMYAYO05
7/31/07 6:44:27PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Bernard Hopkins for sure....Philly reppin!!!!

He needs to rematch Roy Jones and stomp on him and win all the LHW titles boyyyeee!!!!

ok thank god i saw this guys post and i was like no way hopkins should even be mentioned maybe maybe hes in the top 10 im going to have to say tyson backin the day he was the most dominate ever but i think mayweather is the best ever.
owen1
7/31/07 6:44:30PM
pound for pound i would say Floyd mayweather jr. or Ray robinson......some people may argue with floyd but he is probly the most skilful boxer to ever step in the ring and has beat other champions in 5 weightclasses and nobody has ever beat him.
wilwith1l
7/31/07 9:04:16PM
either Floyd(38-0,24KO) or Ricky Hatton(43-0,31KO)
Niether of them have been beaten.
Floyd 6 belts, Hatton 3 belts
There is rumor they will fight in december...
TOMMYAYO05
7/31/07 9:06:48PM

Posted by wilwith1l

either Floyd(38-0,24KO) or Ricky Hatton(43-0,31KO)
Niether of them have been beaten.
Floyd 6 belts, Hatton 3 belts
There is rumor they will fight in december...

yup the 8th but hatton cannot compare to anyone on that list floyd yes hatton no!!!!
wilwith1l
7/31/07 9:12:34PM
I agree that hatton doesn't have the big names, but if he beats floyd. He is the best 147lb boxer to ever live.
grappler0000
7/31/07 11:05:27PM
Piston Honda!
Gladiator
7/31/07 11:43:03PM

Posted by juanez13

Mike tyson for sure....back in the day he was the man..................

ya tyson no doubt... i would replace gearge foreman with tyson on the poll, no offense to any foreman fans cuz he is still the greatest grill-maker ever
ocho-cinco
8/1/07 4:00:20AM
is this a trick question? is Ali not on the same level as Jordan, Tiger, Gretzky, Pele, etc. etc.??? Sure some of thoes guys are amazing boxers and deserve to be mentioned with the best to ever put on a pair of boxing gloves, but this question should really be who is second best.
Trapt1nw0nder
8/1/07 5:25:14AM
No disrespect to any of those boxers,since i am a huge fan of all of them and many of their fights,but i dont think they would cut it with fighters from today.

Thats like saying Ken Shamrock and Royce Gracie are the greatest of all time.

Even Laila Ali (Ali's daughter.....for you who dont know.) said the same exact thing.When she came out on ESPN she said that now that she sees alot of old fights of her father,that she sees alot of mistakes that he makes in the right and that she dont think he could use that same style today........i was shocked that her own daughter would say this,but i kinda agree with her.

back then it was more about heart and will and today its more about skill.....Fighters have evolved.

But maybe if Ali were from this generation,and trained like this generation, then maybe he would still be the best in the world,so who knows

PS...from all those i went with Sugar Ray Robinson.....this guy was amazing,and fought over 200 times and never KO'd.....even Ali refered to him as "The Master"....
hippysmacker
8/1/07 5:30:28AM
Tyson couldn't handle it when someone was not afraid of him,. so I think he shouldn't be on the list.. You could see it even before he won the belt. He fought Mitch " blood" Green, who was a guy he had multiple street fights against him growing up. Suddenly MR. unstoppable had to eek out a decision. That's why Holyfeild and Buster Douglas both beat him, they weren't afraid of anyone. Plus, once Cus died and he fired his other trainers he was a trainwreck. Same for Foreman, maybe the hardest puncher ever , but I wouldn't put him up with Ali, Marciano, Joe Louis, or Larry Holmes at HVYweight. If anyone here is a big boxing fan I recommend Bert Sugars book on the 100 greatest boxers . I have only seen old ESPN classic tapes of Sugar ray Robinson, but I have to agree with his arguments for making him #1. Robinson was 85—0 as an amateur with 69 wins by KO, and started his professional career 128-1-2 with 84 knockouts. Robinson held the world welterweight title from 1946 to 1951, and won the world middleweight title in the latter year. He retired in 1952, only to come back two and a half years later and regain the middleweight title in 1955. He then became the first boxer in history to win a divisional world championship five times. He is also the reason boxing writers created P4P rankings. It's like Babe Ruth, never saw him play live, but the numbers are hard to ignore. SO IMO Sugar ray Robinson.
owen1
8/1/07 11:25:04AM
Floyd Mayweather jr.
coldindian
8/1/07 11:38:20AM
Roy Jones Jr...or Mike Tyson
cowcatcher
8/1/07 11:40:37AM
im going with marciano, the guy was the epidomy of heart, and retired undefeated(49-0, 43 KO's). i dont know of any guy that was knocked down early in so many fights just to get back up and win them by KO late. the knock on rocky was that he never fought floyd patterson, but in his defense, when he retired patterson was still fighting at LHW.
Mastodon2
8/1/07 11:59:20AM
Tyson for sure. In his day he was an absolute monster, granted he had a few rough spots in his career, but he was a beast.
owen1
8/1/07 2:45:02PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Tyson for sure. In his day he was an absolute monster, granted he had a few rough spots in his career, but he was a beast.

ya tyson was great in his day but floyd mayweather has been great for his whole career with no rough spots...thats why he is the best.
fedorwins1
8/1/07 5:21:16PM
Rocky Marciano doesn't get the credit he deserves he was a brutal puncher. Also, Mayweather, Ali, and B-Hop are all greats.
pv3Hpv3p
8/1/07 6:37:57PM

Posted by cowcatcher

im going with marciano, the guy was the epidomy of heart, and retired undefeated(49-0, 43 KO's). i dont know of any guy that was knocked down early in so many fights just to get back up and win them by KO late. the knock on rocky was that he never fought floyd patterson, but in his defense, when he retired patterson was still fighting at LHW.

Rocky fought at Heavyweight all his career, and was only 5'10" and weighed less than 190lbs... Only HVYchamp to retire undefeated... And was one of the best pure punchers in the history of people socking eachother in the gord...
masodd
8/1/07 11:26:11PM
Sugar Ray Robinson easily
Taylor8766
8/2/07 11:16:11AM
I guess that I should have added Tyson and B-Hop instead of Foreman and Armstrong who haven't gottin any love, for me it's ali and marciano, to tough to decide.
richieb19
8/2/07 4:40:06PM
On that list it's easily Sugar Robinson. The only two who come close would be Ali and Duran. My personal favorite has always been Gatti though.
BigEvil
8/3/07 3:35:33PM
Ali was one of the top three athletes of all time period, I have to go with him.
hardhitta513
8/4/07 3:18:59AM
rocky lil dude was crucial