The great Rocky Debate

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The great Rocky Debate
bojangalz
1/28/09 10:47:30PM
This is an argument that I find myself in quite often, so I wanted to pose the question to the rest of the Playground.

How would you rank the Rocky movie series?

Here's how I see it:

1. Rocky
2. Rocky Balboa (that's right, I said it.)
3. Rocky II
4. Rocky IV
5. Rocky III

Some may say that I left one off the list...That movie never happened, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Allow me to explain my rankings. I personally feel that the only true "sequel" to Rocky is Rocky Balboa. The original Rocky wasn't even about boxing. It was a charactor study into the live of an amatuer boxer. The sports action wasn't a means to drive the plot, it was simply a vehicle for allowing the antagonist of Apollo Creed to enter the story. The film has much more to do with Balboa's struggles to succeed in life and love.

Rocky Balboa stays true to the original film's formula. It studies Balboa as he again seeks a path in life. The boxing once again is nothing more then a vehicle for discovering his charactor. You can watch Rocky Balboa as if Rocky's 2-5 never existed and it seems like a logical progression from the first film.

As for the remaining films I'd take Rocky II next just because it was the first of the "other" Rocky's and they were basically carbon copies of it's formula. Rocky IV gets the nod over III because I think the cold war theme had more teeth than the pop culture Thunderlips/Clubber Lang theme.

I haven't found too many people who would argue my side of this. The general consensus is that Rocky Balboa sucks and should have never happened. I'd say anyone who argues that is crazy, but I'd like to open the floor for debate.
tuvok500
1/28/09 10:52:51PM
Rocky IV
Rocky
Rocky II
Rocky III
Rocky Balboa
Rocky V ( lol was not that bad )

kopower
1/28/09 10:56:21PM
I thought Rocky Balboa was a very good movie. I didn't think I would like it very much and one day I said what the hell and watched it. I'm still a huge fan of Rocky 4, nothing like a good ol fashioned slug fest back and forth with no defense.

I would say Rocky 4
Rocky Balboa
Rocky
Rocky 2
Rocky 3

I think Nate Quarry would pick Rocky 4 too!!
If I can change, You can change, then everybody can change!!!!
ohiostate1016
1/28/09 11:13:36PM
Rocky
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky III
Rocky II

uh...Rocky V.
JWest12
1/28/09 11:31:55PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Rocky
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky III
Rocky II

uh...Rocky V.

I agree with this list. I don't think Rocky V was that bad either, though definetly the worst one.
noemis
1/29/09 4:39:41AM
It's difficult to compile a list in order, but I do know that Rocky IV should be at the top of the list.
ncordless
1/29/09 5:17:01AM
Rocky... a very good movie.
Rocky IV... Some people think Ronald Reagan ended the Cold War... it was actually Rocky
Rocky III... for the pure spectacle. Any movie that has Sly Stallone, Hulk Hogan and Mr. T in it is pretty much a shoo-in for an Oscar. Plus there is nothing like watching Mick die when you are 6 years old.
Rocky Balboa... didn't really like it, but I probably just didn't give it a chance.
Rocky II... Quite possibly the biggest cop out in movie history. Rocky taught a lesson of how someone can win even when they lose. Rocky II was made because people couldn't stand the fact that he lost.
Rocky V... Who gives a damn about a spoiled little kid who finds himself back in the real world and can't hang.... and who really gives a damn about Rocky's son at all? The first and perhaps fatal mistake was casting Tommy Morrison in a speaking role. The size difference between him and Sly is so ridiculous that it makes every thing seem fake... and the freaking fight doesn't even go down in a ring. Instead, the lamest streetfight ever choreographed for the silver screen plays itself out until you wish that one of them would just pull out a gun and end it... and why in the world would you have the freakin' uncle take care of your money! If you can afford a robot butler you can afford a damn accountant. Whoever made this movie should undergo a lobotomy to pay for the piece of all of us that has died watching Rocky V.
4u2nv
1/29/09 9:37:04AM
Props to poster above. Great opinion on the Rockies! I just rate Balboa up one more but feel the same about all the movies.

Rocky
Rocky IV
Rocky Balboa
Rocky III
Rocky II
aaa9erh8er
1/29/09 12:42:17PM
rocky
rocky2
rocky balboa
rocky 3 rocky 4
Aaronno9
1/29/09 1:14:57PM
4 is the best!
Wolfenstein
1/29/09 3:59:09PM
I guess I'm in the minority because I thought Rocky 2 was the best. It was the great "comeback story". Plus it has probably my favorite scene out of all the Rocky movies...this one...

<Mick slaps Rocky's cheek>

MICKEY: Now, look, you didn't even see that coming, did you? No. And that was from a broken-down pug like me. What do you think the champ would do to you?

ROCKY: I don't know… hurt me bad.

MICKEY: No. He'd hurt you permanent. Permanent.

#1- Rocky 2
#2-Rocky 1- I could probably watch Rocky chase that chicken all day.
#3-Rocky 4
#4-Rocky 3
#5- Rocky Balboa
#6- Rocky 5-"Touch me, and I'll sue."
MMAcca
1/29/09 5:07:04PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I guess I'm in the minority because I thought Rocky 2 was the best. It was the great "comeback story". Plus it has probably my favorite scene out of all the Rocky movies...this one...

<Mick slaps Rocky's cheek>

MICKEY: Now, look, you didn't even see that coming, did you? No. And that was from a broken-down pug like me. What do you think the champ would do to you?

ROCKY: I don't know… hurt me bad.

MICKEY: No. He'd hurt you permanent. Permanent.

#1- Rocky 2
#2-Rocky 1- I could probably watch Rocky chase that chicken all day.
#3-Rocky 4
#4-Rocky 3
#5- Rocky Balboa
#6- Rocky 5-"Touch me, and I'll sue."

''Come on punk, touch me and i'll sue''

Easily the best bit of Rocky 5....Anyway, my list would go:

Rocky 4 - ''You will lose''
Rocky 1 - ''Adrian!''
Rocky 2 - ''Adrian!''
Rocky 3 - ''Adrian!''
Rocky Balboa - ''Adri.......Ooops, she's dead
Rocky 5 - As above