Great FEDOR Article!!!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Great FEDOR Article!!!!!!
icebergsnoopy
5/31/10 1:28:47AM
Awesome Fedor article, it makes u think, for real
http://www.mmareligion.com/site2/?p=628
tcunningham
5/31/10 1:45:14AM
great post!!! im a big fador fan but only because he WAS one of the greatest. hes no longer the greatest and i cant believe everybody is still saying that he is. he was the greatest fighter for his generation (i.e. PRIDE) but the competition now has evolved far beyond what it was before. i agree that many of the UFC fighters would tear fedor up but IMO i think overeem would probably destroy him as well. everyone has put fedor up on this tower and worshiped him like hes invincible but he aint gettin no younger. WAR OVEREEM!!
Pookie
5/31/10 1:56:33AM
If someone would write the same article without an obvious bias, then i feel more people would actually analyze it, or absorb the golden pebbles of truth that the article tries to articulate.

However, the only way this article would appeal to anybody is if you already agreed with everything he says. And if you already agree, then is there anything fruitful to take from the article?

I dont know, i feel as though the author doesnt express why his reasoning is right when he makes a point, or why the other line of thinking is illogical. He just makes assumptions like

Any top 5 UFC heavyweight would more than likely dismantle all of Fedor’s last 8 opponents.

&

Randy would have the right game plan and Frank Mir is still is a dangerous heavyweight

to back up his feelings that Fedor isn't hot stuff. He even treads the line between hyberbole and outright lying to make certain assertions about Fedor.

Fedor is very involved with negotiations, after all he does own part of M-1.

Since beating Mirko in 2005 Fedor doesn’t have much to brag about.

Mark Coleman, middleweight Matt Linland, and Adrei Arlovski. Those three are the best fighters he has faced in 5 years

And i almost feel like discrediting him for the fact that he cant even spell the names of the fighters that hes mentioning.

Overall, this article isnt well written. It doesnt shed any new light or perspective on the situation. And it doesnt even try to address points that the other side of this arguement feels are true.

Overall i give this article 2 and a
TimW001
5/31/10 1:59:27AM

Sigh...
Shawn91111
5/31/10 2:04:00AM
Who thought the Fedor/Rogers fight should have been stopped in the first round? Only part I will agree with is about the Overeem/Werdum situation., other than it was a poor article.
icebergsnoopy
5/31/10 2:41:37AM
But thats mostly true, most of those facts came from M1-Global, besides when he gives "most" peoples opinions on Fedor

Posted by Pookie

If someone would write the same article without an obvious bias, then i feel more people would actually analyze it, or absorb the golden pebbles of truth that the article tries to articulate.

However, the only way this article would appeal to anybody is if you already agreed with everything he says. And if you already agree, then is there anything fruitful to take from the article?

I dont know, i feel as though the author doesnt express why his reasoning is right when he makes a point, or why the other line of thinking is illogical. He just makes assumptions like

Any top 5 UFC heavyweight would more than likely dismantle all of Fedor’s last 8 opponents.

&

Randy would have the right game plan and Frank Mir is still is a dangerous heavyweight

to back up his feelings that Fedor isn't hot stuff. He even treads the line between hyberbole and outright lying to make certain assertions about Fedor.

Fedor is very involved with negotiations, after all he does own part of M-1.

Since beating Mirko in 2005 Fedor doesn’t have much to brag about.

Mark Coleman, middleweight Matt Linland, and Adrei Arlovski. Those three are the best fighters he has faced in 5 years

And i almost feel like discrediting him for the fact that he cant even spell the names of the fighters that hes mentioning.

Overall, this article isnt well written. It doesnt shed any new light or perspective on the situation. And it doesnt even try to address points that the other side of this arguement feels are true.

Overall i give this article 2 and a

icebergsnoopy
5/31/10 2:43:00AM
what name isnt spelled right?
Aether
5/31/10 2:46:19AM
think he's referring to "linland and adrei arlovski"

Andrei is almost definitely just a typo, but I see linDland's name misspelled like that all of the time.

------

Pretty poor article. It's hard to take someone's opinion seriously when they make so many basic glaring mistakes. His comment about people thinking the Fedor fight should've been stopped in the first? If anyone thought that their opinion on MMA is probably not very well informed.

Like others have said, there are some grains of truth in there, but like all of the fedor nay-sayers he ruins any validity in his points by basing his argument around crazy assumptions and fabrications.

I have been one of the Fedor defenders since the fall of PRIDE, but I also think that the heavyweight landscape is starting to look like it could pose him serious troubles. I still think he's #1, but now I think certain guys have a chance against him, whereas 1-2 years ago I really couldn't envision any of the active heavyweights having even a reasonable chance against him.

I am really dreading the day where Fedor finally loses and all of the haters start laughing about his 9billion - 1 record saying "we told you so".
marcoDGK
5/31/10 5:18:59AM
I think Fedor is fighting top competition for this point and time in his career.
mrsmiley
5/31/10 5:47:03AM
1. The writer of the article "claims" Fedor hasn't done much since beating Crocop. How many times does someone have to say it? Sylvia,AA,and Rogers where all ranked (Rogers probably still is) in the top 10 by the consensus of websites,magazines,etc when Fedor fought them!
Dear lord are people that fickle and forget who was who during that time?
You just gotta love how people will do anything to discredit his wins.

2. Who said the Rogers fight should have been stopped? Did I miss something? I've seen much bloodier fights not get stopped.

3. I do agree that the newer crop of UFC HW's would probably give Fedor all he can handle. They just keep getting bigger and better and Fedor is not getting any younger as we speak. However, one thing Fedor does have over all of them is experince. And with that experince we have seen Fedor comeback from some very compromising posistions within quiet a few fights. I don't think some of the newer batch of HW's have been that deep on the losing end of a battle and shown the heart or iron head to continue.

All in all I can see what the meat of the topic was about but the guy who wrote it just has a few 'wtf" moments when you read it. I think he could have had a really great article and highlighted how the likes of Dos Santos,Carwin,etc could really have a chance against Fedor,yet in the end he does nothing more than end up sounding like an slightley educated troll.

AchillesHeel
5/31/10 8:15:36AM

Another UFC nuthugger venting his spleen.
lohmann
5/31/10 8:33:02AM
Reads like a third of Sherdog's threads.
sbulldavid
5/31/10 8:56:46AM
The only reason this is a big deal is because it's Fedor. I think that most people agree with that opinion to some degree. I still think Fedor is the greatest show on earth, I don't think he's number 1 anymore but he's still the greatest winner ever, and you can't just dismiss him until he gets beaten.
Giant_Ochai
5/31/10 9:18:31AM
That article is pure garbage.
icantthinkofanything
5/31/10 10:41:49AM
Fedor is great, but he needs to fight Carwin and Lesnar to be considered the best these days IMO. This article makes a lot of assumptions, but I think its based on some facts. i think if you feel Fedor has been fighting top guys and is the best fighter in the world right now you will disagree with this article. If you feel Fedor needs to get in the UFC yesterday and try to win that belt, you will agree with this article and your frustration is logical imo.

It is better to beat someone in their prime. . Fedors wins over Cro Cop and Nog were great at the time, but Cro Cop has been beaten a few times recently. The same goes for Sylvia and AA now adays. a win over Tim Sylvia was good when Mir and AA did it back in the day, but now a days Sylvia lost to Mercer.
Sylvia and AA are good fighters, but when Fedor faced them, they were not as dangerous as they once were imo.
The ranking are messed up imo. The best HW is prolly an up n comer who has 1 good win imo like Shane Carwin. That dude can ko anyone with a tiny punch. He has much more power than Fedor imo.
Giant_Ochai
5/31/10 11:00:38AM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Fedor is great, but he needs to fight Carwin and Lesnar to be considered the best these days IMO. This article makes a lot of assumptions, but I think its based on some facts. i think if you feel Fedor has been fighting top guys and is the best fighter in the world right now you will disagree with this article. If you feel Fedor needs to get in the UFC yesterday and try to win that belt, you will agree with this article and your frustration is logical imo.

It is better to beat someone in their prime. . Fedors wins over Cro Cop and Nog were great at the time, but Cro Cop has been beaten a few times recently. The same goes for Sylvia and AA now adays. a win over Tim Sylvia was good when Mir and AA did it back in the day, but now a days Sylvia lost to Mercer.
Sylvia and AA are good fighters, but when Fedor faced them, they were not as dangerous as they once were imo.
The ranking are messed up imo. The best HW is prolly an up n comer who has 1 good win imo like Shane Carwin. That dude can ko anyone with a tiny punch. He has much more power than Fedor imo.

So basically a current and valid UFC contract is the only difference between wins that matter and wins that don't?
AchillesHeel
5/31/10 11:30:10AM

Fedor is great, but he needs to fight Carwin and Lesnar to be considered the best these days IMO.

I think they need to fight him to be considered the best. That's why this topic recurs over and over and over and over again. I bet those guys would fight Fedor for free, if that's what it took.
FilipovicFan
5/31/10 12:13:52PM
That's a blood **** article.
BigIP
5/31/10 1:04:05PM
I really wish people would just post the article title instead of making up their own. What a horrible article...
crushedbacon
5/31/10 2:10:44PM
There's no way this article should be considered 'Great', LOL.....not to mention I don't see how it can be viewed as a news item either.
Its a perspective from some guy, who has no meaningful insight, he just reiterates old facts with an anti-Fedor spin to them. LOL @ the Rogers fight should have been stopped....GTFO.
I was expecting some authentic ideas, and some new viewpoints.....but yeah it was pretty much a cookie-cutter article put together based on a few Wiki searches and a couple conversations with MMA, check that.... I mean Ultimate fighting fans.
Jackelope
5/31/10 2:14:15PM
Yeah I moved it to the lounge. This most definitely isn't news.
TimW001
5/31/10 6:20:33PM

Fedor is great, but he needs to fight Carwin and Lesnar to be considered the best these days IMO.

Why? Who exactly have they beat to be considered the best.
mrsmiley
6/4/10 3:41:56PM

I'll repeat number one:

1. The writer of the article "claims" Fedor hasn't done much since beating Crocop. How many times does someone have to say it? Sylvia,AA,and Rogers where all ranked (Rogers probably still is) in the top 10 by the consensus of websites,magazines,etc when Fedor fought them!
Dear lord are people that fickle and forget who was who during that time?
You just gotta love how people will do anything to discredit his wins.

AA was coming off his biggest win streak since he won the UFC title when he fought Fedor.

Now your opinion is your opinion and more power to you for it.
But I just find it halarious how before he fought AA and Sylvia certain people said he never would. Hell,if you remember correctly people even said he was ducking Crocop before they actually fought. Now he's ducking Brock,Carwin,Overeem,etc.

Bottom line.
Fedor fought the 2 most dangerous UFC HW's of that time period who where still both in the top 10 mix at the time. They tappered off after that but not before hand. People discredit Fedor,yet if you just try it you can easily discredit any fighter if you really want. Now I do agree that he should be in the UFC,I really do,but I think people are just crazy to go and talk down his win over AA and Timmy.
cowcatcher
6/4/10 3:44:13PM
everything you just said is spot on dude.
icebergsnoopy
6/4/10 9:05:26PM
Everyone is arguing, someone plz answer why Fedor is in sf and not ufc (with facts) someone tell me y Fedors first 3 opponents were better than brocks first 3, someone tell me who he has beat that is considered top 5 in their own minds, any1 who sayd buck rogers is a top 5 then or now i have to disagree with u.
mrsmiley
6/4/10 9:37:14PM

Posted by icebergsnoopy

Everyone is arguing, someone plz answer why Fedor is in sf and not ufc (with facts) someone tell me y Fedors first 3 opponents were better than brocks first 3, someone tell me who he has beat that is considered top 5 in their own minds, any1 who sayd buck rogers is a top 5 then or now i have to disagree with u.

Why did he cancle out his fight with CC to go to Inoki Bombai to fight a guy not even ranked in the top 10? Because his management is wacked. That's why.
They look within for their best interest and ride on his name. Dana himself said Fedor is ducking no one. It's his Russian management team.
I can't argue with the fact of Brocks top 3 vs Fedors top 3.
And most his oppenents where considered top 10 while he fought them.
Big nog, Hunt,AA,Slyvia,Herring,CC,Rogers. You may disagree with Rogers in the top 10,but i'm simply stating what most websites and magazines where stating. That's not just merely my opinion. Not only that,but if Barnett wouldn't have failed his drug test that would have made 4 top 10 HW bouts in a row.

As I said before don't get me wrong. Fedor should be in the UFC and guys like Brock and Carwin would probably give him really good fights and would have a very,very,legit shot at beating him.Maybe even deystroy him. My problem is when people seem to either forget history as it happened or go back and rewrite it themselves.
TimW001
6/5/10 2:29:05PM

Posted by icebergsnoopy

Everyone is arguing, someone plz answer why Fedor is in sf and not ufc (with facts) someone tell me y Fedors first 3 opponents were better than brocks first 3,

Why would that make a difference? Anderson Silva first three opponents wern't tat great either, and most people still have him #1 at p4p.

But if you would like to compare opponents directly, then lets do it. Randy Couture? Just lost to Nog pretty badly, and Fedor beat Nog at a time when he was ranked #1 and #2. Frank Mir? Who re his two biggest wins? Nog and Sylvia? Fedor has beat both when they were ranked in the top 3. Heath Herring? Heath Herring used to be ranked in the top ten several years ago, and that's when Fedor beat him.

someone tell me who he has beat that is considered top 5 in their own minds, any1 who sayd buck rogers is a top 5 then or now i have to disagree with u.

Well if you don't consider Brett in the top 10 then you are discrediting Andrei Arlovski, who at the time of losing to Brett Rogers just defeated Jake O' Brien, Ben Rothwell, Roy Nelson, who are all UFC fighters.

And can you tell me who Brock, or Carwin has beat to be be in the top 5?

Edit: Also, you have Fedor ranked higher in your P4P than any other HW.
telnights
6/5/10 4:53:24PM
Well I would call the article far from great. It has some truth in it, but a lot of it seams written by someone who doesn't have a strong understanding of MMA or Fedor. It seams like a lot of opinion by someone who doesn't have much MMA knowledge to base said opinion off of.
icebergsnoopy
6/21/10 3:32:31PM

Posted by TimW001

Posted by icebergsnoopy

Everyone is arguing, someone plz answer why Fedor is in sf and not ufc (with facts) someone tell me y Fedors first 3 opponents were better than brocks first 3,

Why would that make a difference? Anderson Silva first three opponents wern't tat great either, and most people still have him #1 at p4p.

But if you would like to compare opponents directly, then lets do it. Randy Couture? Just lost to Nog pretty badly, and Fedor beat Nog at a time when he was ranked #1 and #2. Frank Mir? Who re his two biggest wins? Nog and Sylvia? Fedor has beat both when they were ranked in the top 3. Heath Herring? Heath Herring used to be ranked in the top ten several years ago, and that's when Fedor beat him.

someone tell me who he has beat that is considered top 5 in their own minds, any1 who sayd buck rogers is a top 5 then or now i have to disagree with u.

Well if you don't consider Brett in the top 10 then you are discrediting Andrei Arlovski, who at the time of losing to Brett Rogers just defeated Jake O' Brien, Ben Rothwell, Roy Nelson, who are all UFC fighters.

And can you tell me who Brock, or Carwin has beat to be be in the top 5?

Edit: Also, you have Fedor ranked higher in your P4P than any other HW.

First off I said top 5 not 10 and when i made those rankings fedor was the best HW and he might still be but fighting werdum doesnt prove that.