Great Expectations: Can UFC 91 Top 1 Million Buys?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Great Expectations: Can UFC 91 Top 1 Million Buys?
MMAcca
9/23/08 1:22:34PM
During the conference call announcing Randy Couture v. Brock Lesnar as the main event of UFC 91, Dana White predicted that the event would do in excess of one million buys on pay-per-view. White’s prediction is rumored to be based on internal marketing research that found the fight was the most anticipated the company could deliver, even more anticipated than a potential showdown between Forest Griffin and Chuck Liddell (that eventually went down in flames courtesy of Rashad Evans) or a dream fight between BJ Penn and Georges St. Pierre scheduled for January.

LINK
prozacnation1978
9/23/08 1:39:47PM
i don't even know if they have topped 600000 buys on a event this year but the ufc has only topped a million once for the lidell vs ortiz 2
nothing even close to that since, but with a wandy vs rampage i don't think they can do it but i do see at least 800 thousand buys
finnish_line
9/23/08 2:01:16PM

It'll all depend on the strength of the multi-part Countdown special.
grappler0000
9/23/08 2:04:48PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i don't even know if they have topped 600000 buys on a event this year but the ufc has only topped a million once for the lidell vs ortiz 2
nothing even close to that since, but with a wandy vs rampage i don't think they can do it but i do see at least 800 thousand buys

Lesnar's debut did 650k.

And to answer the question...yes, I think it is plausible for the event to do a million buys.
jiujitsufreak74
9/23/08 2:17:18PM
i'm going to say it will rake in 1.6 million buys. ESPN has already mentioned it so the hype will only build from here. not to mention Brock Lesnar and Randy couture are two of the highest grossing fighters on the UFC roster.
NeaRMisS
9/23/08 2:51:01PM
With all the attention this is getting + its randys big return. I could see this easily getting 1 million. Figure lesnar brings in 650 by himself. Then randy doing near the same number.

Anyhow, I am actually happy to see the buy rate that high. Means the sport is becomming more main stream etc. Lets hope this trend continues!
Branwest
9/23/08 2:58:00PM
JJFreak with the bold, "1.6 mill.," prediction. I believe it'll do 1.2. But it'll definately break a million. There are some like us, who watch every event of every league they can. We always watch. But they'll pull in all the others who only buy the ppv's on occassion. This event will be amazing. I'm thrilled that Randy's back. Not to mention the other fights. I hope the Hazelett fight will be on the main card.
cmb19932
9/23/08 3:00:33PM
randy rampage and wandy bring in all the reall mma fans andd lesnar brings in wwe fags who just wanna see him i think it could happen
finnish_line
9/23/08 3:04:45PM

I think this event will have the more eyeballs watching it than any other MMA event, but that it'll just barely break 1,000,000.

Every bar playing it will be jam packed, and the groups of people watching one television at home will be larger than usual, but I don't see individual PPV orders being crazy high.

I doubt people are going to be ordering this event by themselves at home in droves.
StorminYourman
9/23/08 3:16:01PM
I think it might come close A MIL exceeds my expectations. Not sure how many buys Wrestlmania gets but why should is get so much more ?

I love Randy and all and think he will win but I am more excited about other future match ups like Nog v Mir and GSP v Penn.
Twenty20Dollars
9/23/08 3:37:16PM
i know i will be ordering it.
jocka
9/23/08 3:44:36PM
I have no doubt in mind that it will break 1 million ppv , Randy and most of his followers are casual/hardcore fans so these are the normal ppv buyers but Brock's followers are more wretling fan, because of Brock we will have a new army of fans, not knowledgeable fans but at least more fan, they will help to bring the sport more mainstream. Everyone knows that when you start watching mma you can't stop right.
NinjaCyborg
9/23/08 4:00:28PM

Posted by cmb19932

randy rampage and wandy bring in all the reall mma fans andd lesnar brings in wwe fags who just wanna see him i think it could happen

I don't know if "fags" was a typo, but it's completely inappropriate.
If you don't like professional wrestling, thats fine, but don't refer to the fans as "fags" again.
grappler0000
9/23/08 4:01:00PM

Posted by StorminYourman

I think it might come close A MIL exceeds my expectations. Not sure how many buys Wrestlmania gets but why should is get so much more ?

I love Randy and all and think he will win but I am more excited about other future match ups like Nog v Mir and GSP v Penn.

Wrestlemania got 1.06m this year and 760k last year. Chuck/Tito II did just 10k less than this year's Wrestlemania, so it can definitely be done. Lesnar has pulled in 650k and 625k respectively in both his showings in the UFC so far, which is more than anyone else this year. Add to the fact that Randy returns and we get to see Rampage/Wandy 3 and it won't take much more.
haggiswashere
9/23/08 6:24:15PM
Easily will. Mainstream fans will buy for lesnar and bigger fans will order because of Rampage and Wandy. and awesome guys will buy for Senior Sadollah! haha sorry
postman
9/23/08 6:27:43PM
Should have done a poll theat way we would have some hard data on how many buys it would get. All kidding aside I don't see how it could not hit a million.
CwB
9/23/08 7:21:46PM
in my opinion it will easily hit one million because

if dana white is setting his goal that high you know he will market this fight more then any other ever... just remember all the media attention chuck vs rampage 2 got before the fight.

i expect to see this event all over the media.

plus the drawing power of brock, randy, rampage, and wandy
cmb19932
9/23/08 7:25:53PM
my bad i didnt mean fags i used to watch pro wrestling myself an im a lesnar fan i just am sort of used to just talkin like that fag is just another word just like all other cus words i just say what comes to mind
CantAndleDaRiddum
9/23/08 7:38:42PM

Posted by postman

I don't see how it could not hit a million.

\
i think the ufc will have to consider this a massive marketing ****-up if they dont hit 1 mil buys for this
Jackelope
9/23/08 7:41:17PM
Well they're already promoting it on the radio here in AZ, so I could see it being possible.

One thing I can say without a doubt is that they won't be getting an order from this guy. I refuse to spend any dollars of mine on an event Brock Lesnar is a part of. I'll probably go watch it for free or download it or something.

and yes, I know I'm a ******* retard. I just can't help but hate the guy so much. <--- to me
finnish_line
9/23/08 10:14:07PM

I heard that Wandy/Page may be moved to the Superbowl show.

They better come up with a semi-main just as strong (probably impossible).
MMAcca
9/24/08 1:34:03AM

Posted by finnish_line

I heard that Wandy/Page may be moved to the Superbowl show.

They better come up with a semi-main just as strong (probably impossible).

I heard that too and it's rumoured for UFC 92 on MMA Weekly's rumours page.

To do a million buys, UFC 91 needs a much bigger 2nd to last fight than Florian/Stevenson imo.

Somebody like Forrest, Franklin, Hughes or Chuck......
ufcboss
9/24/08 7:26:01AM
Wanderlei Vs Rampage better stay on 91.......
FantasyFighter
9/24/08 9:59:06AM

Posted by finnish_lineI heard that Wandy/Page may be moved to the Superbowl show.

Thats the greatest news I have heard in weeks!!!! Please, please, please be true!!!