The Great BEER Thread!!!!!!!! (For the ale afficionados)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Great BEER Thread!!!!!!!! (For the ale afficionados)
Next Page »
warglory
5/3/07 9:38:30PM
Okay all, now's your chance to deliver ode's to your favorite nectar of the Gods. I consider myself somewhat of a beer snob aind since I have lived in Burlington Vermont the last 5 years, I can say that I have become accustomed to some very good microbrews. List your favorite drinks and maybe give a description of them.

1. Switchback -
(Red and original varieties)
Brewed In: Vermont
Type: Pale Ale
Color: Golden with a nice white head
Taste: Slightly bitter with a strong hint of citrus in the smell and taste. I really enjoy the aftertaste as well which leaves you enjoying all the different flavors.

The greatest part of this is that it isn't bottled, you can only get this ale on tap in Vermont.....my favorite beer of all time. mmmm

2. Longtrail - Blackbeary Wheat (Spring/Summer Seasonal)
Type: Not really sure!
Color: Pale yellowish
Taste: Strong sweet smell to the beer. Initial taste is of strong blackberry flavor, but alot of different individual flavors arise upon further tasting.

3. Sea Dog Brewing Co. - Blueberry Wheat
Brewed In: Maine
Type:
Color: Golden
Taste: Very strong, sweet taste of blueberry. Some would probably consider this a chick beer, but I say **** them, I love this stuff.

4. Otter Creek - Copper Ale
Style: Brown Ale
Color: Deep deep red copper
Taste: A smoked type flavor with a fruity aftertaste. This is my beer with meals.

5. Young's - St. George's
Brewed In: England
Style: English Pale Ale
Color: Cloudy Golden
Taste: Quite grainy for a pale ale, but a strong caramelish flavor to it. One of my favorite non-domestics.

6. Vermont Pub and Brewery - Smoked Porter
Style: Porter
Color: Black!
Taste: Holy crap man, this sucker is a nice kick in the ass. Stronger than Guiness could ever hope to be as a dark beer. Those who like beers you can't see through, come to VT and pick this one up!

7. Vermont Pub and Brewery - Burly Irish Ale
Style: Red Ale
Color:......red
Taste: Very bitter beer, but with a strong fruity taste. Strong, not for the faint at heart.

8. Three Needs - Chocolate Stout
Style: Dark Stout
Color: Black
Taste: Another strong strong beer that is made for sipping. One of my favorite bars brews this themselves, good grab!

Alright, that is probably all for now. I may throw out a few honorable mentions, but these ones are those that came to mind first. Also, I drink almost all of the above on tap fyi.

Svartorm
5/4/07 4:15:26AM
Excellent idea for a thread my good man!

I'm a total beer snob, and will usually only drink dark ales, or stouts, but I love ciders as well, so I'm going to add some of those to my list.

1. Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout
Style: Oatmeal Stout (duh)
Color: Very dark brown, with a tan head.
Taste: Strong beer, with hints of caramel and chocolate. Goes down much smoother than most stouts because of the oatmeal, and is one of the few stouts I've had that doesn't get bitter towards the end. Costs an arm and a leg though at $11 a four pack.

2. Magners Irish Cider
Brewed In: Ireland
Style: Cider
Color: Tan/Orange
Taste: Very strong for a cider with a bite. Not really sweet at all, and sort of malty. Not sure if they add something to it or not, as its nothing like regular ciders. Great stuff though.

3. Newcastle Brown Ale
Style: Brown Ale
Color: Brown
Taste: Nothing too fancy, but just a good dark beer, and easy to find around here, making it my go to beer, especially with meals.

4. Guinness
Brewed In: Ireland
Style: Stout
Taste: If you haven't had Guinness before, you've got problems. Bitter-sweet stout with a unique texture. I usually have one to start off the night, but they're too filling for heavy drinking and I don't like them except on tap.

5. Hornsby Cider
Brewed In: Not sure.
Style: Cider
Color: Golden
Taste: A nice, sweet cider. Goes great with pretty much any food. Sort of dangerous though as they don't taste like alcohol.

6. Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat
Brewed In: Massachusettes
Style: Wheat Ale
Color: Tan with a good head
Taste: A decent whaat beer with a nice cherry aroma, and mild taste. This would be something I'd call a light beer, and goes good with meals as well. Not really for heavy drinking though, as I think wheat beers get old kind of fast.

7.Harpoon Winter Warmer
Brewed In: New England somewhere
Style: Winter Warmer
Color: Auburn
Taste: Heavy cinnimon and nutmeg in an ale. Great beer thats only around for a few months. The cinnimon will upset my stomach after a few, but they're a good starting beer.

8. Samuel Adams Creamy Stout
Brewed In: Massachusettes
Style: Stouch
Color: Black with a brown head
Taste: A good deal of chocolate flavor, although this one gets a bit bitter towards the end, so Its a beer for serious drinking in my book.

That'll do it for now. I'll be hitting up the specialty beer store soon though, so I'll see what else I come across.
Mastodon2
5/4/07 11:16:10AM
Newcastle Brown ale is good, my hometown drink, everyone should try this.

my favourite though is probably Wychwood ales

1. Circlemaster
Brewed in: Witney, Oxfordshire, England
Style: Golden Ale
Taste: Its quite citrusy, and with quite a strong hoppy edge, but very drinkable and refreshing

2. Hobgoblin
Style: Strong Dark Ale
Taste: A strong, quite bitter start, that smoothes into a rich chocolatey, toffe finish.

3. Wychcraft
style: White ale
Taste: Quite bitter for a white ale, but still very fruity, with quite a smooth refreshing finish after the inital citrus tang

4. Fiddlers Elbow
Taste: Another one with a bit of a citrus flavour upfront, but with a different character to the Wychcraft, Almost floral. Leaves a pleasent and lasting taste in the mouth

5. Black Wych
Brewed: Witney, Oxfordshire, England
Taste: Typical Stout taste - roasted hops. Gives quite a burnt taste, but its very smooth. Its a very balanced stout, so it doesnt have an sharp edges falvour wise, and is a very easy drinking stout, unlike some heavier stouts which really require a bit of effort.

Man I love Wychwood breweries. I dont know what they are doing, but their ales just smash the competition. Unfortunately Im not sure if they are available outside the UK. I think Circlemaster is, but sold under the name of "Scarecrow" and Hobgoblin might be exported.
pv3Hpv3p
5/4/07 11:19:48AM
I don't have too much time to do this so I'll start the post with just a couple...

Fresh Hop Pale Ale
Brewed in: Denver, CO
Color: Dark Amber
Taste: This stuf is only brewed once a year during the hop harvest. They have to use a massive amount of hops (i've heard up to 3 times as much), which results in this beer having plenty of biter hops character, but also a fresh almost outdoor-feild-like taste. It's an absolute must for any Pale Ale fan.

Hercules Double IPA
Type: Indian Pale Ale
Color: Dark copper-orange
Taste: This stuff is where it's at when it comes to an IPA. The hops are the prevalent feature and add the piney, floral, citrussy taste that they do so well. But the beer also has a real backbone to it... Almost a little creamy with like a nutty malt background really round out the brew. And as a little extra kicker it packs a punch with somewhere over 9% alcohol.

Both these beers are brewed by the Great Divide brewing company...

I'll throw in another post with New Belguim Brewing co beers that I like...

Great idea for a post
Trapt1nw0nder
5/4/07 11:37:00AM
Bud Light
Gold color
Gets you drunk
hcazlekker
5/4/07 12:08:34PM
I'm not really a beer drinker, more of a shots kinda guy; Stolichnaya Vodka, Black Seal Rum.

When I get the urge to chug a few though, Sapporo and Red Stripe do me fine.
warglory
5/4/07 2:11:14PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't have too much time to do this so I'll start the post with just a couple...

Fresh Hop Pale Ale
Color: Dark Amber
Taste: This stuf is only brewed once a year during the hop harvest. They have to use a massive amount of hops (i've heard up to 3 times as much), which results in this beer having plenty of biter hops character, but also a fresh almost outdoor-feild-like taste. It's an absolute must for any Pale Ale fan.

Hercules Double IPA
Type: Indian Pale Ale
Color: Dark copper-orange
Taste: This stuff is where it's at when it comes to an IPA. The hops are the prevalent feature and add the piney, floral, citrussy taste that they do so well. But the beer also has a real backbone to it... Almost a little creamy with like a nutty malt background really round out the brew. And as a little extra kicker it packs a punch with somewhere over 9% alcohol.

Both these beers are brewed by the Great Divide brewing company...

I'll throw in another post with New Belguim Brewing co beers that I like...

Great idea for a post

I gotta try that Fresh Hop stuff, sounds tasty!
warglory
5/4/07 2:15:43PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Newcastle Brown ale is good, my hometown drink, everyone should try this.

my favourite though is probably Wychwood ales

1. Circlemaster
Style: Golden Ale
Taste: Its quite citrusy, and with quite a strong hoppy edge, but very drinkable and refreshing

2. Hobgoblin
Style: Strong Dark Ale
Taste: A strong, quite bitter start, that smoothes into a rich chocolatey, toffe finish.

3. Wychcraft
style: White ale
Taste: Quite bitter for a white ale, but still very fruity, with quite a smooth refreshing finish after the inital citrus tang

4. Fiddlers Elbow
Taste: Another one with a bit of a citrus flavour upfront, but with a different character to the Wychcraft, Almost floral. Leaves a pleasent and lasting taste in the mouth

5. Black Wych
Brewed: Witney, Oxfordshire, England
Taste: Typical Stout taste - roasted hops. Gives quite a burnt taste, but its very smooth. Its a very balanced stout, so it doesnt have an sharp edges falvour wise, and is a very easy drinking stout, unlike some heavier stouts which really require a bit of effort.

Man I love Wychwood breweries. I dont know what they are doing, but their ales just smash the competition. Unfortunately Im not sure if they are available outside the UK. I think Circlemaster is, but sold under the name of "Scarecrow" and Hobgoblin might be exported.

Ahhh yes, I am also a fan of the Wychwood brews (and they are imported to the states btw). I collect the bottles from these guys, they have really interesting bottles. I have had Fiddler's Elbow, Scarecrow (Circlemaster), from your list.

Have you ever tried Bah Humbug? It's their Christmas ale, very very rich sweet ale on the darker side, has a strong cinnamon flavor from what I recall, I quite enjoyed this.
Mastodon2
5/4/07 6:52:51PM
Unfortunately I havnt had Humbug, but though it wasnt on my list, I do like their Goliath ale aswell, comes in a pint sized 660ml bottle, as opposed to normal beers which are 300 and ales which are usually 500.

As an interesting note, all of the Wychwood brewery ales are assosciated with characters from the folklore of the Wychwood forest, which is near the brewery itself. I think they do brewey tours, I wouldnt mind going sometime!

Me and my dad brew our own ales, IPAs, Lagers, Stouts, wines and champagnes at home, and we've made some great stuff in our time, atm we are copying the official Guiness recipe for their export stout.

Another great ale all the English lads should try is this tastey little number

Name: Riggwelter
Brewed: Black Sheep brewery, North Yorkshire
Colour - Very dark brown, almost black
Taste - Strong Roasted hop character, almost burnt tasting. Quite a complex taste, and a heavy character, but in a very satisfying way.

Might be har to get in the states though, Black Sheep arent a huge company

More English greats

Name: Cumberland ale
Brewed: Jennings brewery, Cumberland, the Lake District, England
Colour: Honey coloured
Taste: A full flavour, but light hop character and the fact that this is made with water from their own personal spring makes this a very crisp, clean ale. It goes down like water, its probably the most drinkable ale Ive yet found. I think the secrect is in the spring water. Its so pure, with no chloride salts, but with a decent mineral content and a very neutral PH of about 7.46, it gives it such a clean taste

Name: Sneck Lifter
Brewed: Jennings brewery, Cumberland, the lake district, England
Colour: Dark Crimson
Taste: Like the cumberland ale, but with more hop character and a slightly less fruity finish. A more straight forward ale, but still with that clean character of the spring water. Introduced as a winter warmer, but its drinkable all year round, but I must admit it sure is inviting on those snowy december nights!

Jesus this is a good thread, Beer enjoying MMA fans unite!
Svartorm
5/4/07 9:35:58PM
Hey Mastodon.

The Boston area specialty stores will usually import beers from the UK, so I can get all of those. I've seen the Hobgoblin around, but didn't buy it, but I think I will now.

I had a beer the other day called St. Peters, and it was another one of those breweries with its own spring, but it wasn't that great. I think it was out of Uxbridge or some such place.
Rush
5/4/07 10:56:36PM
Here are my faves. Draught beer all the way!!!

Creemore Springs
Brewed in - Creemore Ontario, Canada
Type - Lager
Colour - Gold with a sight reddish tinge.
Taste - Clean with bit of grain.
Comment - This is my staple beer. This is what I would like to have when I go out just to have a beer.
Creemore Springs

Alexander Keiths Red
Brewed in - Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
Type - Amber Ale
Colour - Red
Taste - Smooth and malty. Nice taste with little hoppy taste.
Comment - Another beer that I would like to just drink on its own. I still can't get it in Ontario yet.
Keith's Brewery

Mill St. Tankhouse Ale
Brewed in - Toronto, Ontario Canada
Type - Ale
Colour - Dark Red
Taste - Hoppy and Malty
Comment - A little bold in taste for me to have too frequently. It's nice to have when you have something to munch on and only want to have a little to drink.
Mill St. Brewery

Others (but I just don't want to type any more)
Keith's Pale Ale
Schneider Weiss - wheat beer
McAuslan Apricot Wheat Ale
Mastodon2
5/5/07 3:09:21PM

Posted by Svartorm

Hey Mastodon.

The Boston area specialty stores will usually import beers from the UK, so I can get all of those. I've seen the Hobgoblin around, but didn't buy it, but I think I will now.

I had a beer the other day called St. Peters, and it was another one of those breweries with its own spring, but it wasn't that great. I think it was out of Uxbridge or some such place.

Thats disappointing, I suppose if the spring's water isnt of a great purity, or the brewers just arent very consistent then it wont turn out a great ale, and they'll just use it as a marketting gimmick = /
Buddharox
5/6/07 1:39:23AM
Bass
Alexander Keith's
Svartorm
5/6/07 2:30:22AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Posted by Svartorm

Hey Mastodon.

Thats disappointing, I suppose if the spring's water isnt of a great purity, or the brewers just arent very consistent then it wont turn out a great ale, and they'll just use it as a marketting gimmick = /

They have three kinds that I know of, and I grabbed the cream stout. It wasn't bad, but for the price I expected more. We can get the good UK beers here, but they're very pricy, but I'd rather spend the extra money and get something truely good than choke down Coors Light or some other crap beers.
ncordless
5/6/07 4:47:33PM
1. Czech Rebel
Brewed since 1333, a light beer with a Heinie style aftertaste but with much more complexity.

2. Burgerbrau
Another light golden with great hoppy finish.

3. Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Great microbrew with a complex nutty taste and smooth aftertaste
Svartorm
5/7/07 12:44:03AM
Rogue has some great beers, but I wasn't into the Dead Guy.
Manfred
5/7/07 1:03:14AM
Since living in Germany for 5 years and a total of 12 in Europe, I can't touch domestic anymore. Total beer snob:

Molson from Canada (for when I'm home in Buffalo)

Dos Equis XX (for when I'm in Vegas or CA)

Bitburger from Bitburg, Germany

Ursus from Romania

Borsodi from Hungary

Guiness, but only in the Republic of Ireland. The export is like another beer.

and of course Heineken! (which also has to be the best brewery tour I've been on!)
Mastodon2
5/7/07 6:16:01AM

Posted by Manfred

Not taking the piss or anything, but you have been buying a different beer , Export is a different recipe, I have a brewing book with the original and export recipes side by side for comparison. I've only ever had the export but I do like that. I've never had the Irish homeland version, mainly because I've never been to Ireland and I dont ever want to go there, so Im stuck with Export, but its good enough for me!
warglory
5/7/07 11:20:49AM

Posted by Svartorm

I enjoy Rogue's beers and I thought Dead Guy was pretty good. Have you had the one with what looks like Al Borland on the front? I love that bottle..hehehe
warglory
5/7/07 11:46:03AM

Posted by Manfred

Since living in Germany for 5 years and a total of 12 in Europe, I can't touch domestic anymore. Total beer snob:

Molson from Canada (for when I'm home in Buffalo)

Dos Equis XX (for when I'm in Vegas or CA)

Bitburger from Bitburg, Germany

Ursus from Romania

Borsodi from Hungary

and of course Heineken! (which also has to be the best brewery tour I've been on!)

Molson is one of my cheap beers of choice when I just want to get a 24 rack or something, not a bad beer. It's either this or Labatt.

Dos Equis is a tasty beer on a hot night. Putting a lemon wedge in there is MUCH better than Corona (and I am a fan of Corona).

Also, if you haven't tried Blue Moon, its a White Belgian Ale (domestically created) that tastes great with an orange wedge in it.
Trapt1nw0nder
5/7/07 12:27:01PM
Dos Equis is my favorite beer by far......i mentioned it in an older thread on here
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
pv3Hpv3p
5/7/07 3:27:45PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Svartorm

I enjoy Rogue's beers and I thought Dead Guy was pretty good. Have you had the one with what looks like Al Borland on the front? I love that bottle..hehehe

I think they all got that goofy guy on them, or most of them anyways (I think it's the brewer)...

I've also tried their Juniper Pale Ale... Which was a both sweet and bitter pale ale, with a hint of juniper, for almost a Christmassy taste. Really good stuff.

And I tried their Hazelnut Brown Nectar... I guess if I had to describe it, I would say... Most people have tried a newcastle, so let's say that Sammy Smith's Nut Brown is a step above Newcastle; Then in turn Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar is a step above that. Dark, rich, bitter off the bat and then smooths out really well at the finish.

I have heard of nothing but the best things from people about Rogus's Stouts... But I'm not much of a stout drinker, so maybe someone else has some info...
pv3Hpv3p
5/7/07 3:55:39PM
Fat Tire Amber Ale
Brewed: Fort Collins, CO (I think)
Color: Amber / Dark Orange
Taste: It's got a little of everything... There's a really good hoppy freshness to it, and a good bitter-kind-of-burnt carmel taste from the malt. Almost to easy to drink, I love this stuff.

Sunshine Wheat Ale
Brewed: Fort Collins
Color: Pale foggy golden yellow
Taste: This is a wheat beer that is comparable to a Blue Moon or something of that variety. It has a sweet smooth flavor with a hint of fruit and I think it's brewed with corriander also. This is one of the few beers that I like to have with a meal (normally it's just water for me while I actually eat) for some reason it tastes really good with Mexican food (Maybe because of the corriander?)

1554 Black Ale
Brewed: Fort Collins
Taste: It's an intimidating beer to look at, but this is a great beer for those people that might not necesarilly like dark beers but are willing to try. It has a really potent choclate / malt / coffee flavor that hits you from the begining, but the finish is really really clean... No bitter aftertaste... This one will convert your friends...

All these beers are brewed by New Belgium Brewing Co out of Fort Collins... It might just be my favorite brewing co, but they do not distribute out in MN... So I am forced to import whenever I can (By that I mean, if I know anyone that's going to Omaha or anywhere out west I beg and beg until they agree on picking me up a twelver) so if you get the chance I would def try one... The Fat Tire is probably the best and by far the most popular.
Svartorm
5/25/07 7:44:24PM
I picked up some Scarecrow and Hobgoblin Wytchwood ales tonight. My review will be forthcoming. Plus I wanted to bump this thread because beer rules.
Svartorm
5/25/07 11:18:30PM
Ok, just finished the Wychwood Scarcrow.

This is hand-down the best pale ale I've ever had. I don't normally get into pale ales, but this had the perfect balance of hops and citrus. It was very refreshing and went well with my burgers as well. Great beer.
ButterBalls
5/25/07 11:37:24PM
How the heck did I miss this the first time around?!?

1. Coors Light.
I know, its domestic, light, and cheap. But....I love it. I can get it anywhere, it tastes good, and it doesn't have the crappy aftertastes of most domestic lights.

2. Leinenkugal's Berry Weiss
It is pretty much the only "flavored" beer I will drink. Its taste isn't overpowering, isn't too sweet, still tastes like a beer. Thank God it isn't seasonal anymore.

3. Road Dog Scottish Porter
Its a Flying Dog beer, out of Denver. It is hard to find around here, but when I do its worth it.

4. Killian's Irish Red
Another Coors production. Killian's isn't too strong, but has a satisfying red taste.

5. Blue Moon
Pretty sure this is Coors too. It is a 'Belgian Wheat Ale" and definetly has a different kind of taste than a regular beer. It seems the trend is to drink it with an orange. I think fruit in beer is fruity.

6. Christmas Ale 2005
This was from Anchor Brewing Company out of San Fransisco. They change the recipe every year, but 2005 was by far the best I've had. It obviously been a couple years since I had it (2006 was good, but just not the same), so it is hard to give a good description. I just remember buying a 6-pack, then going back the next day, buying a case, then I ended up buying out the liquor store's supply of it around New Year's and drank it until it was gone. I don't think I touched another beer while I had it.

7. Sam Adams
The original Sam Adams. If you havn't tried one, please do. The Winter Lager is good too. I'd steer away from Old Fezzywig Ale though.

8. Michael Shea's Irish Amber
I got hooked on this from a buddy of mine who was into trying a lot of different beers as often as possible, aka a tasteful drunk. It tastes a little light, but its smooth and goes down easy. Its a once or twice a month type beer, not an every nighter.
Svartorm
5/26/07 12:39:15AM
Ok, just finished the Hobgoblin.

Good dark ale, but a little too bitter for my tastes. The finish is nicer than most dark ales and stouts though, so its definitely worth checking out.

Ok, no more beer reviews, or I'll end up calling old girlfriends.
Mastodon2
5/26/07 3:20:29PM

Posted by Svartorm

Ok, just finished the Wychwood Scarcrow.

This is hand-down the best pale ale I've ever had. I don't normally get into pale ales, but this had the perfect balance of hops and citrus. It was very refreshing and went well with my burgers as well. Great beer.

Haha, I knew you'd love that Circlemaster (scarecrow in the US), it is, as we say here in the UK, "The Boy" !
Svartorm
5/27/07 3:00:04AM
Its also $5 a bottle. Not something I'll be having too often, but a great beer for sure. Now I want to find the other Wychwood beers and try those too.
emfleek
7/11/08 3:46:59PM
Newcastle
Fat Tire
Honey Moon
Pabst Blue Ribbon (and no, I'm not lying...I love it.)
Pages: [1] 2