Great Refs

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Great Refs
bjj1605
8/8/10 1:42:29PM
I'd like to step away from the usual conversation following UFC 117 and comment on the excellent officiating.

I thought that the Nelson vs Dos Santos fights as well as Struve vs Morecraft could easily have been stopped prematurely, probably with no unusual amount of complaining from the MMA community.

Nelson was dropped several times and at several times was unable to return any offense. His strategy at times was to cover up and survive. But he was surviving. And late in the fight he landed a couple of meaningful right hands. Dos Santos still won the fight but it's no stretch of the imagination to see how Roy could have put him away with one of those rights. Great job by the ref in letting it continue.

This is even clearer with the Struve vs Morecraft fight. There was more than one opportunity (including in between rounds) for that fight to be stopped. Thankfully, it wasn't. In this case the fighter who could have an "L" because of a ref walked away with a "W".

To a lesser extent, I commend the ref's for not standing up Chael Sonnen and Anderson Silva since Chael was clearly working. Same goes for Thiago vs Fitch.
RyanC
8/8/10 2:00:46PM
The refs were really good last night. I had no complaints.
postman
8/8/10 2:41:25PM
How about when Rogan says Anderson better defend these punches or they are going to stop it! I had to scream at the TV after the Brock fight I doubt they will ever stop it to soft rapid shots to the side of the head in a title fight.
kopower
8/8/10 3:55:30PM

Posted by postman

How about when Rogan says Anderson better defend these punches or they are going to stop it! I had to scream at the TV after the Brock fight I doubt they will ever stop it to soft rapid shots to the side of the head in a title fight.

I agree with that. Anderson was blocking the punches on the bottom from Sonnen with his head for awhile there. I was a bit worried the fight was gonna get stopped, even though the punches weren't doing too much damage. Refs did a good job last night.
prozacnation1978
8/8/10 4:30:08PM
Josh and herb did a great job

Josh has done two great title fights in a row
I hope he refs edgar vs penn
jae_1833
8/8/10 5:41:19PM
I agree wholeheartidly!! I was for sure the ref was going to screw over Chael Sonnen, but was happily impressed that they allowed the wrestling to prove it's affectiveness. I was also impressed with the complete lack of early stoppages....there is usually one per event. I think there should be a ref bonus added into the FOTN awards! Also I think the judges did very well too.....not one call I can think of that made me upset the entire night actually. It's a relief really.
tcunningham
8/8/10 8:55:31PM
i agree, its nice to see an entire night of good refing. as much as it pissed me off when sonnen tapped, josh did his job and stopped it correctly.