How does Gray stack up

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » How does Gray stack up
CwB
3/22/09 8:28:44PM
Gray seeks bout with contenders (Sherk, Guida, Sanchez)

So how does everyone think gray will do against these three top contenders

Gray vs Guida
in this i fight is see gray dominating guida on the ground and having the edge striking. Guida has won a lot of his past fights due to control but i dont see any way for him to control gray on the ground (who i think is probably the best wrestler at 155, except for sherk)

Gray vs Sherk
This fight is a tough one to call its hard to say who has the advantage on the mat but it seems sherk has the edge in boxing. i think sherk would probably be the favorite and is more likely to win but i would go with gray

Gray vs Sanchez
I am not a fan of sanchez at all but he is an absolute beast, and i think of the three fights this one would be the toughest for gray. diego has shown that he has the tools to finish a fight anywhere so i see sanchez taking a close decision (but if gray keeps improving his standup and BJJ i think he would win)
NatedawgThaM
3/22/09 9:09:25PM
It's about time, I think it's time for him to get somebody with atleast a name. He showed he deserved a shot at one of these guys against Miller by dominating him.

I think Clay wins a razor sharp split decision which will look like the Tyson Griffin fight but Clay don't get robbed again. I think Gray wins the first but I don't think his cardio's anywhere near Guida's and Guida finds a way to out work him somehow and steal round 2 late in the round and just completely outworks him in the 3rd and steals it in a great exciting fight. Guida always puts on classics against other wrestlers because he just don't control them for da whole fight because he can't.

Sherk I believe would spank and dominate him sadly. Better wrestling, striking, and conditioning. I think Sherk could actually finish him but I don't think he will. He'll just out work him in every aspect and win a UD.

Sanchez would be interesting. he definitely could just take him down and barely squeeze it out like Fitch did but just keeping him on his back but I just don't see that happening and Sanchez I think has better striking and submissions not to mention conditioning. I think Diego actually KO's him in the 2nd or 3rd like the Lugi fight he catches em late. I would say Diego wins a decision but I'm really feeling a KO in this one for some reason.

I think it's time he gets that 1st loss that will help him mature into an amazing fighter in the future. After he loses to one of these guys I believe he goes back to fighting low level people for another 2 fights and then gets a nother oppurtunity but wins that time.
bls1919
3/22/09 9:28:52PM
I say Grey has the tools to hang with most anyone in the LW division. His Boxing has come along very well(showed in the fight with Miller). His wrestling is top notch and he is a big 55er. I hope they give him somone in the top ten here soon.
prozacnation1978
3/22/09 10:53:52PM
gray is boring to watch'
i have seen him fight live twice now
i think he beats guida but loses to sherk and sanchez

ithink he needs to rematch with rob emerson or fight nate diaz
StorminYourman
3/23/09 1:33:10AM
I see Gray right now beating all top LWs except for Sherk ,Penn ,Florian and Nover. The rest Gray will beat either standing or via takedown clinics.

Edit : I think the Sherk match up would be real interesting to watch.

I also think he could dominate Aoki via real bad match up for Aoki.
slapshot
3/23/09 3:43:50AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

gray is boring to watch'
i have seen him fight live twice now
i think he beats guida but loses to sherk and sanchez

ithink he needs to rematch with rob emerson or fight nate diaz

Franklinfan47
3/23/09 11:36:42AM
I dont consider Gray boring to watch, atleast not all the time. His fight with Miller was awesome imo.

I'm not really too sure how Gray would stack up against the top guys at 155 but, like alot of others, I want to see. A fight with Guida, Sanchez, Sherk, Stevenson, or even Huerta would be a good indicator of where he stands.
cowcatcher
3/23/09 11:42:38AM
i like gray and i think he can give anyone at lw problems. of the 3 guys mentioned, the only one id for sure take gray against is guida, i think hes better everywhere, except maybe motor.
no one but bj can beat sherk at this point IMO, hes a dominant fighter and is underappreciated since the steroid test.
diego and gray is close but id give a very slight edge to diego, but TBH i could see gray winning that one as well.
Aaronno9
3/23/09 11:47:24AM
I think he'd dominate Clay, loose handily to Sherk, and as for Sanchez id be split down the middle.
higdon10
3/23/09 12:46:25PM

Posted by StorminYourman

I see Gray right now beating all top LWs except for Sherk ,Penn ,Florian and Nover.

Gray would smash Nover IMO.
Wolfenstein
3/23/09 1:41:52PM
Gray is quickly becoming the American version of Yushin Okami. Not the most exciting fighter, but he gets the job done.

I think he stacks up very well against the top guys at 155. Aside from Gleison Tibau, Gray is probably the biggest LW, and the best wrestler. I think the combination of his size, wrestling, and improving standup, allow him to negate the strengths of just about any other LW. I'm not sure if there is a LW that can make Gray fight "their" fight.

If he's not a champ this year, at the very least watch for him to make a bid at the top 5.
Pookie
3/23/09 1:46:07PM

Posted by StorminYourman

I see Gray right now beating all top LWs except for Sherk ,Penn ,Florian and Nover. The rest Gray will beat either standing or via takedown clinics.

Edit : I think the Sherk match up would be real interesting to watch.

I also think he could dominate Aoki via real bad match up for Aoki.

I think Aoki would get the tapout without ever having to force the takedown.
Franklinfan47
3/23/09 3:40:20PM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by StorminYourman

I see Gray right now beating all top LWs except for Sherk ,Penn ,Florian and Nover.

Why is Nover even included in a list of top lw's? If Nover couldn't handle Efrain's wrestling then Gray would absolutely smash him.
mkiv9secsupra
3/23/09 6:10:30PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by higdon10

Posted by StorminYourman

Why is Nover even included in a list of top lw's? If Nover couldn't handle Efrain's wrestling then Gray would absolutely smash him.

Nover isnt even anywhere near being a gate keeper in the UFC, let alone belong in the same sentence as the other three. At this point in his career he is still a C level fighter, IMO

On the Subject of Gray. I dont think he could beat Sherk, Penn, or Sanchez but i think he could step up and beat Tibau, Stevenson, Griffin and, IMO, Florian. So i think he is a top 10 fighter but not a contender. He is a great wrestler and has greatly improved his standup and will most likely be a contender in the near future.
AussiePride
3/23/09 8:12:15PM
I think Gray would beat clay, he could beat him on the feet and i think on the ground gray would overpower him for sure.

I think Sherk would be the toughest matchup out of those three guys, i havent seen to much of sherk and i dont know much about his standup, but he seems to be a monsters of a 155er and a strong dude, i think he could stop gray on the ground.

I think Sanchez and gray would be close, after seeing grays fight with jim miller his standup looks awesome is think he could tangle with diego on the feet and the be heavy on top on the ground. But i just dont think he could stop the nightmare. UN to diego
State_Champ
3/24/09 12:25:32AM
Gray has looked amazing lately!
I say, the UFC should give him Sherk as a test and if he beats Sherk then he's next in line (or one win away) but if Sherk beats him then give Sherk one more fight maybe, before the title.
StorminYourman
3/24/09 12:57:45AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by Franklinfan47

Posted by higdon10

Posted by StorminYourman

Nover isnt even anywhere near being a gate keeper in the UFC, let alone belong in the same sentence as the other three. At this point in his career he is still a C level fighter, IMO

On the Subject of Gray. I dont think he could beat Sherk, Penn, or Sanchez but i think he could step up and beat Tibau, Stevenson, Griffin and, IMO, Florian. So i think he is a top 10 fighter but not a contender. He is a great wrestler and has greatly improved his standup and will most likely be a contender in the near future.

Remember these words as long as injury or something else really F'd up happens this kid will rise right to the top
Jackelope
3/24/09 1:03:13AM
I give Gray more than just a "chance" in all of those fights the OP mentioned.

Sherk's double leg is probably better than Gray's, but I don't know if his takedown defense is. Besides, Sherk usually tries to muscle people around and Gray doesn't look like he's going to get muscled around by anybody at 155 with the way he handled Miller. Sherk's boxing is probably a slight bit more crisp, and quite a bit faster, but he lacks power in his punches IMO. He's a muscle puncher, and he doesn't throw with the intent to hurt IMO. So on the feet I'd actually give Gray a pretty good chance. Considering his strikes are thrown to hurt, and he's probably got a definitive reach advantage.

As for Guida- I love watching Clay fight (not a hater like most these days) but I'd have to go with Maynard being better everywhere. Besides cardio.

Sanchez? I dunno. He still has a lot to prove to me as far as standup goes. It's definitely looked better, but I still think he has a lot of room to grow. He looked pretty weakened at 155 IMO, so I'll have to see him fight there again to get a good feel for how I think this fight would go down
MMA
3/24/09 1:44:52PM

Posted by CwB

Gray seeks bout with contenders (Sherk, Guida, Sanchez)

So how does everyone think gray will do against these three top contenders

Gray vs Guida
in this i fight is see gray dominating guida on the ground and having the edge striking. Guida has won a lot of his past fights due to control but i dont see any way for him to control gray on the ground (who i think is probably the best wrestler at 155, except for sherk)

Gray vs Sherk
This fight is a tough one to call its hard to say who has the advantage on the mat but it seems sherk has the edge in boxing. i think sherk would probably be the favorite and is more likely to win but i would go with gray

Gray vs Sanchez
I am not a fan of sanchez at all but he is an absolute beast, and i think of the three fights this one would be the toughest for gray. diego has shown that he has the tools to finish a fight anywhere so i see sanchez taking a close decision (but if gray keeps improving his standup and BJJ i think he would win)

I believe Gray is more accomplished in wrestling than Sherk. However, this is MMA so I'm not sure who would have the advantage. I think Maynard might shrug off enough TD attempts and use his range to possibly SD Sherk. But yeah, the fight is really close to call.

Good analysis on all of the match-ups though.
Gipper
3/24/09 5:34:38PM
maynard will be champ in the ufc one day mark my words.
in my mind he is the best wrestler in the lw division and he's becoming one of the better stikers now too. penn, florian, sherk, sanchez need to watch their back for this guy.
The_Italian_Stallion
3/24/09 5:48:05PM
Well I think I'll start out by saying Gray is my favorite fighter period so I may be slightly biased but I always try to look at things from stats and facts instead of opinions...

I think Gray dominates Guida fairly easy enough said about that one already so...

Sherk would be the toughest test for him in the entire division in my opinion... he's the only guy whose got good enough wrestling to get back to his feet where he causes problems for him. I think Gray would spend all of round one shooting and getting blasted on the sprawls and lose 10-9 but securing an early takedown in rounds two and three lets him pound out (in other words lay n pray) to a 29-28 decision.

Diego would get taken down and with Gray size and strength he would be able to smother out the subs so a 30-27 win imo.

NOW for someone like BJ... tough test but given Penn's last performance against a dominant wrestler (GSP) I think Gray would definitely be able to do the same thing. I'm nowhere near comparing Gray to GSP I just think he could pull it off. Penn would beat him 9 times out of 10 if he came out with his head straight and a good takedown defense but I don't know...

We won't have to worry about BJ for at least 2 more fights though...
CwB
3/24/09 6:48:52PM
I think that gray will follow roughly the same path as (Former college training partner) rashad evans early in rashads ufc career he wasn't known for finishing fights but he has evolved into a very dangerous threat. Given more time i believe gray will reach that same level as rashad I will say that gray is ufc champ by the end of 2010

but its mma and who knows how it will turn out
KaibaThedon
3/26/09 2:50:24PM
I think Gray beats Guida, Guida won't be able to outwrestle him, and after the Miller fight, I'm inclined to think that Maynard's striking is a lot better than Guida's.

I don't think Sherk can finish him, but Sherk would probably beat him with a UD.

The Bully could probably beat Sanchez, but it would be a split, and it could be a split loss. Sanchez has better striking, but Maynard is tough and has better wrestling/strength, but less explosiveness.