Gray Maynard Thinks Nate Diaz Will Win the Belt; Gunning for Trilogy and TUF 17 Slot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gray Maynard Thinks Nate Diaz Will Win the Belt; Gunning for Trilogy and TUF 17 Slot
BuffaloDave
8/16/12 9:42:35AM
The UFC lightweight division has been in a bottleneck in terms of the contenders race due to several rematches and one draw that forced a lot of top fighters to wait for their chance to compete for the gold.

“I thought Edgar pulled it out, but whenever, it’s a close one; the judges, it’s all up to them I guess,” Maynard told MMAWeekly Radio. “He pulled out a couple close ones against B.J. (Penn) and me and then he had this one; it was close, so it could go either way I guess.”

“It opens up things for me. It opens up things for (Anthony) Pettis because he beat Benson. If Nate beats him, that opens it up for me more because there’s a trilogy. He beat me once and I beat him, so we could do the third fight. There’s a lot of options,” Maynard stated.

“Nate’s on a roll; I think he’ll pull it out,” Maynard said about the fight between Henderson and Diaz. “If he does, I know he was begging for me for a long time, but for me I was looking at the title and that’s a fight that would be a great fight for the title. I’d like to do the TV show against him if that’s the case.”

LINK
airkerma
8/16/12 10:10:30AM
Currently trying to work in some kind of joke where Diaz can't put his hands on Bendo because of the holy water-sinner effect, what with Bendo coming out to "Awesome God". Not having any success yet .

On topic, I think Maynard is correct, if Diaz wins they will probably set up a trilogy for him and Diaz. If Bendo wins and Pettis wins, they will set up a grudge match between those two. Plenty of exciting possible rematches without them being immediate rematches or logjammers for the division.
george112
8/16/12 10:14:51AM
Maynard I think couldn't take Diaz today. Diaz has gotten much better. Maynard is someone Diaz can sub
jjeans
8/16/12 10:24:56AM
I wanna see Maynard vs Edgar 4, ( as well as 5 & 6). But let's see Edgar v Maynard in a 3 round fight again as that'd be tempting a different result. However some time in the future I'd love to see Maynard v Diaz 3 for the title, that's be awesome, what an incredible storyline

From TUF to a championship

That'd be the greatest thing ever.
sparky
8/16/12 11:23:35AM
WAR DIAZ

I personally think Nate takes the belt from Bendo but its a goos fight so who knows
prophecy033
8/16/12 11:27:08AM
Either way I choose, i'll probably get it wrong
prozacnation1978
8/16/12 11:28:55AM
Maynard had his title shots
Step aside
Twenty20Dollars
8/16/12 12:06:53PM
Maynard hasn't even earned a title shot. Two more wins then maybe.

Nor do I want to see him face off against Diaz again.

Only rematch I care to see is Pettis/Henderson and all the rest are getting annoying.
Manak
8/16/12 12:18:43PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Maynard hasn't even earned a title shot. Two more wins then maybe.

Nor do I want to see him face off against Diaz again.

Only rematch I care to see is Pettis/Henderson and all the rest are getting annoying.

pmoney
8/16/12 12:43:48PM
I actually like what Gray has to say for once

There is definitely still a grudge there. Diaz was talking about moving back to 155 when he was 2-0 at 170. I think it was after his win against Marcus Davis, Nate was saying there was a lot of people he wanted to fight at lightweight. He specifically called out Maynard, and said something to the affect of "Maynard thinks he's a hot shot".

I don't know if I like Nate as the head coach of TUF. Nate and Nick are already assistant coaches for Roy Nelson on this season of TUF. I dont know if Nate would be able to film the show with Gray and not try to fight him in the streets.
tcunningham
8/16/12 1:14:06PM
i used to be a maynard fan until the two title fights with edgar, now he just irritates me. i remember him saying that he's felt edgars power and that he cant hurt him. then gets KO'd a few days later. in this sport with 4 oz. gloves and at this level its stupid to think that another fighter cant KO you out, even if they are smaller for the weight class. i would pick diaz all day by way of sub. i think maynard would bring it though, he needs to get back to his wrestling.
NaturalBornKiller92
8/16/12 5:46:59PM
Honestly, I think they would throw Edgar at whoever beats Henderson first. However, I have no knowledge or quotes to back that up with. It is just my opinion. With that being said, the winner of Cerrone/Pettis deserves the next shot the most.
Twenty20Dollars
8/16/12 6:18:17PM

Posted by pmoney

I don't know if I like Nate as the head coach of TUF. Nate and Nick are already assistant coaches for Roy Nelson on this season of TUF. I dont know if Nate would be able to film the show with Gray and not try to fight him in the streets.

Yeah, screw that and it would hold up the title...again.