After Gray Maynard complaint, Clay Guida will braid hair for UFC on FX 4

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » After Gray Maynard complaint, Clay Guida will braid hair for UFC on FX 4
FastKnockout
6/15/12 5:55:30PM
The most famous hair in MMA might be a little more famous next week.

Clay Guida's trademark locks won't be swinging as wildly next Friday when he meets Gray Maynard in Atlantic City.

In fact, Guida will braid back his shoulder-length curls for the fight – after Maynard filed a complaint with the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
6/15/12 6:01:35PM
The "Bully" sounding like a Pu$$y
Kpro
6/15/12 6:12:34PM
As if Gray doesn't complain enough in interviews.
lohmann
6/15/12 6:17:00PM

Lembo said the nature of Maynard's complaint was that Guida's hair "could pose a distraction to their fighter … and that they thought it gave an unfair advantage to their opponent."

Now I want to see Maynard fight Benson Henderson for some reason. Oh, maybe because Maynard might forget about the hair when he's separated from consciousness.
prophecy033
6/15/12 6:17:31PM
Who gives a rat's ars how Guida wears his hair, fight the dude like everone else has....his hair is the l;ast thing you should be worried about
MaxOne
6/15/12 6:23:46PM
I'd love to see Guida win this and that was before the complaint...even moreso now BUT I do hate the hair. I think it's in the fighter's best interest to have it up and out of the way . who cares what we think about a dude's hair though...if they want it in the way when they fight then so be it....I don't think it gives Guida an advantage...I think it's a disadvantage if anything other than possibly in a few positions where it could be hanging in the opponents face.
sparky
6/15/12 6:40:19PM
I cant believe he filed a complaint like are you serious Gray and on top of that I cant believe the commission is actually making Guda braid is hair back, this sounds like absolute bs. Soon there going to be telling fighters they have to be clean cut and clean shaved to compete
LuckyCharms
6/15/12 6:47:37PM
Having long hair that does provide an advantage to Guida.

I used to roll against a guy who had long ponytail hair, and everytime I got his back try to apply a RNC. His hair would get in my mouth. It would start annoying and suffocating me a bit. That I would have to used one of my hands to pull the hair out of mouth but when I did that. I lost control of the back, and went back into guard.
Twenty20Dollars
6/15/12 6:57:32PM
Guida's hair bothers me, b/c I think it puts Guida as a disadvantage.

And I think it would affect Guida more than Maynard. I didn't think you could complain or do anything about it though.
Bubbles
6/15/12 6:59:13PM
now i really hope Guida wins
tcunningham
6/15/12 7:53:22PM
this makes maynard look like a total whiner. hair is something you can bitch about to a friend, not put a complaint in with the athletic commission.
kopower
6/15/12 10:49:58PM

What a joke.
infestructure
6/15/12 11:16:17PM
I dunno. I get pissed off by hair in the face, it's scratchy if it brushes your eyes. So it could be used to hinder an opponents sight.

Fair enough I say.
spang714
6/16/12 12:23:11AM
Guida should file a complaint that Maynard has to cover up his tramp stamp...
cowcatcher
6/16/12 12:24:13AM
This should help Guida because the guy has to wipe the hair out of his face a dozen or so times a round and once in a while he gets hit for doing so. Meh, if Guida is complying and not making a fuss about the request I won't either. For what it's worth, Maynard said he didn't know anything about it, so maybe his camp did this without him telling them to do so.
Sir_Karl
6/16/12 12:53:17AM
Even though having long hair is a disadvantage to the fighter with long hair I am glad he has to braid it. I think fighters with long hair (and I used to be a metalhead hairbag) are ignorant. They spend half the fight brushing the hair out of their eyes. It takes so much away from their offense, defense and everything else. It's foolish and if they can't see how bad it puts them at a disadvantage then maybe MMA ought to allow hair pulling back in the sport. They will chop that sh*t real quick. Does anyone remember the Erik Paulson incident? No disrespect to Erik as some of the groundfighting in my system comes from him but he learned real quick to cut his hair.
bjj1605
6/16/12 1:00:45AM
Maynard got offered a lot of money by the UFC to cut his hair so they could put him in the video game.

Now this.

I don't understand what his attachment is to it. Like others have said, it clearly seems to disadvantage him.

Get a buzz cut.
BeeR
6/16/12 10:10:41AM
I dont think he at much of a disadvantage, he faints wildly purposely because his head goes one way and his hair goes the opposite, it messes up opponents reaction time and judgement on his movement. If your trying to hit him his body is going one way, his head another, and his hair in a different direction, its alot for the brain to get used too
bjj1605
6/16/12 3:54:47PM

Posted by BeeR

I dont think he at much of a disadvantage, he faints wildly purposely because his head goes one way and his hair goes the opposite, it messes up opponents reaction time and judgement on his movement. If your trying to hit him his body is going one way, his head another, and his hair in a different direction, its alot for the brain to get used too

Its a big disadvantage when you're trying to get out of chokes (triangle, guillotine, D'Arce, ect.).

He can't slip his head out.

Bald dudes who keep a close shave are the hardest guys to guillotine.
lll-lll
6/17/12 7:07:18AM
LMAO pretty funny IMO. Sounds like a shot to throw him off his game. Grey claimed he didn't eevn know his people filed. Just a little pre fight mind games Id guess.