Was Gray Maynard out?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Was Gray Maynard out?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Was Gray Maynard Out?
Yes (No Contest) 71% (95)
No (Gray Won by Tapout) 29% (38)
buckndro
6/24/07 4:00:58AM
he looked dazed or knocked out after it either way was judges/refree call looked like it was made right to me
scoozna
6/24/07 8:55:33AM
He was "out" enough that any ref would have stopped the fight if they had been looking at him alone.

Emerson was tapping pretty much at the same time - we only get to see it in slow motion on the replays.

I agree that they should define the rule - is it the order in which it happened or is it the fact that they both could not continue (judgement call).

iwin
6/24/07 9:30:17AM
It has to be NC. You seen them both one taps out and the other is knocked out. They both couldn't go on so I'm glad it was decided that way. It would be awesome to have a rematch
spider1179
6/24/07 11:22:29AM
Especially after watching the replay, Gray was definately out. This was the right call.
allmotormark
6/24/07 12:08:24PM
i agree that he was out but the ref stoped it cause of the tap ....so the win should gone to gray, ref had no clue he was out
DJDark41
6/24/07 1:51:51PM
NO. Gray might have been "out" but the ref did not stop the match because Gray was out, he stopped it because Emerson tapped, and WAY after the match was stopped, they realized Gray was a little bit out of it. But he wasn't asleep, he was just out of it. Gray should've got the win by submission.
richieb19
6/24/07 1:57:36PM
Newton/Hughes 1 anyone?
Tamara
6/24/07 2:31:31PM
Gray was out. It was obvious to me as soon as my husband exclaimed "who won" that it should of been called a no contest. For all the reasons stated in this thread.
I am sure today Gray is reviewing the tapes and realizing that the fight was called in the correct way.

I was not surprised by all the excuses we heard tonight from the fighters. The season was full of cry babies and men unable to take a loss like a man, respectfully with out excuses of previous injuries and whatnot.
kbak303
6/24/07 2:42:25PM
was he out? yep...but if you look at the overhead replay..the ref NEVER looked at Gray..he was checking out Emerson...so I dunno how you'd call the end of the fight..i mean the ref called it due to tap out..coulda gone other way if he called it with Gray out and never saw the tapping of Emerson...so..tie goes to the base runner?!?

i thought Emerson was a bit more classless than Gray at the end...
MisFiT
6/24/07 2:43:48PM
Of course he was out, not only did he stiffen up but he fell with his eyes glazed over then fell on his ass and lost it again once he tried to get up.
kbak303
6/24/07 2:45:03PM

Posted by iwin

It has to be NC. You seen them both one taps out and the other is knocked out. They both couldn't go on so I'm glad it was decided that way. It would be awesome to have a rematch

I'm just asking..but if the ref had SEEN both of them out (1 tapping and the other with Tweety birds circling his eyes) then NC woulda been good, IMHO..i mean...they called NC long after the ref called the tapout...and from the side judges i guess...

is this kind of a normal thing, the NC for something like this?
JimiMak
6/24/07 3:33:03PM
I don't think it should be either / or. Who cares that he was out. If I can make a guy tap while I'm ko'd I should still win.

And just because his eyes were open doesn't mean he wasn't out. ppl get ko'd all the time and their eyes don't close. He was completely out. Often when you wake up you need to be told you were out.

He got screwed, you wake up from a ko and find out you just got screwed out of a legit win, and tell me you aren't gonna be pissed.
shackle
6/24/07 3:46:48PM
I think Maynard was out before the tap. When he hit the ground he KO'd himself. I think Maynard would of won the fight though. Despite what people may think if you KO yourself ... it's still a Loss.

Not sure what to do though cause either way you are gonna piss people off. NC was the best idea IMO.
KingKash
6/24/07 4:12:19PM
I just love the fact that he actully did KO him self. At first I was pissed off, because he tapped and Gray won, but looking at it now..... it is just funny to watch. I could watch Gray run his head into the mat over and over. The fact is that the NC was the best way to go, but still funny to watch and Joe constantly telling him that he was out was fun to watch.
bayonetxwork
6/24/07 4:20:14PM
He was out.
MisFiT
6/24/07 4:21:43PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

He was out.

No way?
Bowen50
6/24/07 4:23:43PM
Gray Maynard was OUT COLD!! He was whining like a little baby. The NSAC did the right thing by making it a no contest because neither fighter would have been able to continue.
SteedTheDeed
6/24/07 4:38:02PM
i loved how joe just kept telling him "dude, you were out". Joe didn't kiss him ass.
mma_fan_matt
6/24/07 4:54:25PM
It was a good call. Should make for an interesting rematch.
Aether
6/24/07 5:37:31PM
You guys keep saying "the ref didn't see gray first" and "he stopped the fight because emmerson tapped" but you don't seem to realize that the ref's job has nothing to do with determining who won and it doesn't matter what he saw happen, it matters what DID happen.

The ref is in there for the fighter's safety. His job is to stop the fight when one fighter can't intelligently defend himself to prevent serious injury, to call fouls, explain the rules to the fighters, and to encourage them to do more when they begin stalling - NOT to determine who won the fight. This is the judges job, in most cases a stoppage is so clearly one sided that the judges really don't need to do anything, but this was not the case. They went back and looked at all of the information and determined that both fighters were incapacitated. Doesn't matter what Herb Dean did or did not see, it isn't his call.
Meg
6/24/07 6:14:49PM
I saw a guy who was really out of it, but not out cold.
Aether
6/24/07 6:24:43PM
but out of it to the point that he was unable to continue fighting. Come on people, we all know that the majority of "knockouts" are actually technical knockouts where the fighter is badly stunned but not out cold. It's actually fairly rare that a fighter is literally 100% unconscious when fights get called, they are most often in the dazed state that gray was in.
BeaturAss
6/24/07 9:28:00PM
I don't know how many of you guys were in a fight before?! you don't give up until its over... Maynard held his own until the guy tapped out and the ref called it off... When it was called off he layed on the side and gave up his strength thinking it was over! He was stunned that's for sure but conscious of what is going on... Clearly, NSAC took the win from Gray Maynard!

Question is who tapped out on that fight? What was the reason why the ref called off the fight? You are only assuming that Gray Maynard won't be able to continue on that fight, just because you saw that his eyes rolled over after the fight was called off doesn't mean that he is out!?! As far as I'm concerned it is only an assumption by the people who just watch and were not on that fight and made the decision just because of there stature on the sport!

It's UNFAIR to the fighter who was not tested that he's out on that fight and somebody just calls him that his out!?! and what rematch are you talking about? Maynard completely dominated that fight from start to finish...
Ydoc
6/24/07 9:28:41PM

Posted by Aether

but out of it to the point that he was unable to continue fighting. Come on people, we all know that the majority of "knockouts" are actually technical knockouts where the fighter is badly stunned but not out cold. It's actually fairly rare that a fighter is literally 100% unconscious when fights get called, they are most often in the dazed state that gray was in.

But when someone is only stunned it's up to his opponent to force the stoppage. Take Cole vs. Wang for example, the match wasn't over when he was rocked and fell down, it was called when Cole got on top of him and started throwing punches.
curran1
6/24/07 9:45:48PM
he was definitely out, he couldn't even stand up after the fight stopped
Trapt1nw0nder
6/24/07 9:46:57PM
No Contest.....

It wasnt a Gray Maynard slam,it was a Emerson DDT

People could say that Emerson tapped,but many could also say Gray was out before he tapped
Aether
6/24/07 10:31:43PM

Posted by Ydoc

Posted by Aether

But when someone is only stunned it's up to his opponent to force the stoppage. Take Cole vs. Wang for example, the match wasn't over when he was rocked and fell down, it was called when Cole got on top of him and started throwing punches.

The difference is that when wang was hit he wasn't stunned to the point where he was no longer in control of his limbs. He fell down, but he was still making an attempt to block shots with his arms. gray was so stunned he couldn't even support his weight kneeling, he was rolling all over the place, if emerson hadn't tapped the fight would've been called regardless of if he "forced the stoppage"
jocksmall
6/24/07 10:41:17PM
i think gray should have won due to tap out. the ref stopped the fight due to tap out and then they determined that gray was out and called it a nc. the ref never even looked at gray. this was handled wrong.
Piccosaur
6/24/07 10:41:34PM
Maybe the ref ended the fight when he noticed Gray was out? We can argue all day it was a NC and us debating won't change the desicion.
rudimarfedrigo4
6/24/07 10:52:31PM
he was out, thats that
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4