Was Gray Maynard out?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Was Gray Maynard out?
Next Page »
POLL: Was Gray Maynard Out?
Yes (No Contest) 71% (95)
No (Gray Won by Tapout) 29% (38)
Scott_Revels
6/23/07 10:21:10PM
What do you think? I think he was out, and that he was kind've being a baby about it.
cmill21
6/23/07 10:31:54PM
I think he was out, but most people when they get KO'd they don't know they were out.
Rush
6/23/07 10:43:27PM
Both guys should've hept thei mouth shut. Gray looked like a whiner and Rob was throwing out excuses like there was no tomorrow. Not a good way to win the fans over.
Thundercats
6/23/07 10:46:56PM
Gray blacked out for a second and was totally dazed, but Emerson tapped. The fight was initially called due to tapout. Gray got screwed, but he was a baby about it in the end.
GrandMaster313
6/23/07 10:54:05PM
maynard rolled off on his own which ment he was a little concious but concious non the less
Scott_Revels
6/23/07 11:01:29PM
Was he concious, was he out? We could go over this all night long, but really the only real answer is to just go with the NC, because you can't tell from any of the camera views. Also, if Maynard was "tired" that early into the second round, his cardio wasn't the greatest..
ButterBalls
6/24/07 12:48:48AM
Gray was OUT. Joe Rogan summarized it best...he was limp and lifeless, eyes rolled into the back of his head, completely out. He was bieng a bitch about it too. I honestly liked him before that, but not anymore. He needs to learn when to step up, be a man, and admitt he messed up and KOed himself.
Marshall_1
6/24/07 12:58:07AM
I think it should be Emerson by TKO because when i watched it Gray was out for about a second before Emerson tapped but thats just how i saw it.
Gkizi
6/24/07 1:02:49AM
Yeah,he was out,but I would love to see a rematch.
Ultimate_fighter
6/24/07 1:07:07AM
Yes, he was out for sure... "I felt his dead weight" - emerson
They should have said No Contest for Hughes and Newton as well.
gspfan31
6/24/07 1:09:20AM
he was out, if he was concious he would have jumped up in celebration instead of laying motionless on the canvas
cincyassasin
6/24/07 1:10:06AM
The ref saw Emerson tap that is why he stopped the fight and that is what the record books should say......Think back to Hughes vs. Newton in case you don't recall both fighters were asleep but the ref saw Newton and called the fight Hughes woke up the new welterweight champ. NUFF SAID!
hippysmacker
6/24/07 1:11:08AM
I think Gray was dazed, not out. his eyes are open when he rolls over. I don't think they had " rolled into the back of his head" as Rogan rudely claimed IMO. Emerson tapped, and that should be that to me. As for Rogan, I admit to liking him most of the time, but I thought he was rude to keep telling Maynard he was out, when he had no proof of it." IF" Gray was out it was when he was face down on Emerson's chest. We can't see his face and " know" if he was or not. As for Gray, I would have been pissed too, if I felt a victory was stolen from me. Out of the 7 people at my house this heavily discussed and opinions split. So I understand if someone feels differently. For me, I try to deal in facts when making a decision. Fact- Emerson tapped due to what Gray did to him . Fact- We can't tell if Gray was out or not. That's my 2 cents
nubby
6/24/07 1:15:47AM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think Gray was dazed, not out. his eyes are open when he rolls over. I don't think they had " rolled into the back of his head" as Rogan rudely claimed IMO. Emerson tapped, and that should be that to me. As for Rogan, I admit to liking him most of the time, but I thought he was rude to keep telling Maynard he was out, when he had no proof of it." IF" Gray was out it was when he was face down on Emerson's chest. We can't see his face and " know" if he was or not. As for Gray, I would have been pissed too, if I felt a victory was stolen from me. Out of the 7 people at my house this heavily discussed and opinions split. So I understand if someone feels differently. For me, I try to deal in facts when making a decision. Fact- Emerson tapped due to what Gray did to him . Fact- We can't tell if Gray was out or not. That's my 2 cents

Bullcrap, he was out. It was plain as day. His eyes were definitely not wide open, they were barely open and he was staring off in to la la land. No contest.
Metafour
6/24/07 1:16:41AM
I think without a doubt when he hit the ground he was out cold for a few seconds. When he regained consciousness he was severely stunned.
chuckw94
6/24/07 1:49:49AM
gray was out but the fight was stopped because emerson tapped and they gave hughes a win over newton on the same call.
nubby
6/24/07 1:57:24AM

Posted by chuckw94

gray was out but the fight was stopped because emerson tapped and they gave hughes a win over newton on the same call.

Doesn't mean it was the correct call.
Scott_Revels
6/24/07 2:05:50AM
I still believe that without proper camera angles, the judgement should be No Contest. Gray could have been wide eyed, and awake during the times that we couldn't see his face, but the times we did, he clearly didn't look like it, and therefore No Contest. They need to get some more cameras. Put some cameras out there.. on top of the cage, or something..
hippysmacker
6/24/07 2:08:57AM

Posted by nubby

Posted by hippysmacker

Bullcrap, he was out. It was plain as day. His eyes were definitely not wide open, they were barely open and he was staring off in to la la land. No contest.

Since I have a 60 inch bigscreen and walked right up to it confirm his eyes were open, I am certain you are wrong.
gspfan31
6/24/07 2:15:44AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by nubby

Posted by hippysmacker

Since I have a 60 inch bigscreen and walked right up to it confirm his eyes were open, I am certain you are wrong.

just because his eyes were open doesn't mean he wasn't out, baroni's eyes were wide open last night when shamrock chocked him out
Ydoc
6/24/07 2:30:35AM
I dunno... it's kind of weird for someone KO'd to have their arm up like he did. I'm torn on the subject, maybe he was exhausted? It looked like he felt Rob tapping on his shoulder and then collapsed, but at the same time he looks real stiff.
ProfessorChaos
6/24/07 3:04:52AM

Posted by Ydoc

I dunno... it's kind of weird for someone KO'd to have their arm up like he did. I'm torn on the subject, maybe he was exhausted? It looked like he felt Rob tapping on his shoulder and then collapsed, but at the same time he looks real stiff.

Exactly. How do you hold your arm up when you are supposedly unconscious?

I think he was momentarily stunned by the impact. Then he came to his senses. You don't have to be knocked to have trouble standing when you just landed on your head.
Northrend
6/24/07 3:13:55AM
He was either KO'ed or ultra dazed..he flopped over then went over to Rob's feet then rolled on his ankles very painfully (if he was conscious he would not of done that)
MrLehman
6/24/07 3:15:33AM

Exactly. How do you hold your arm up when you are supposedly unconscious?

It happens all the time , see sean salmon
Piccosaur
6/24/07 3:16:37AM
He was out before the other guy even tapped. Should have been Emerson's win.
Nacho
6/24/07 3:18:39AM
I thought this was similar to when Hughs beat Newton with a slam while simultaneously getting choked unconcious. Newton deserved the no contest call more than Emmerson. Gray slammed his head hard! IMO he was pretty much out but deserved the win. No points awarded for temper tantrums.
ProfessorChaos
6/24/07 3:22:19AM
His hands are resting on the ground and his body. Gray's arm was in the air not being supported by anything.

If you tap you lose, I don't care if you already killed the guy you are fighting. Tapping forfeits the match to your opponent. Even if they can prove that Gray was knocked out (which they can't) it should still go as a victory for Gray.
Naturaldisaster
6/24/07 3:28:36AM
he was out! his arm was stiff and his legs were limp when he rolled off of emerson. he layed there for a couple seconds then got to his knees and like passed out and fell onto emersons legs! then layed there by the cage for at least a minute.
Aether
6/24/07 3:53:03AM
it doesn't matter if you personally think that tapping takes precedence over being unconscious or not, it matters what the actual rules are. I personally doubt that there is anything outlining a scenario like this yet, but there should be. Gray WAS KOed whether he was FULLY unconscious or just dazed to the point of losing control of his faculties, the fact of the matter is if rob weren't seriously injured the fight would definitely have been over for gray as soon as the ref saw him roll over. He can't even support his own weight kneeling at the end of it, he's falling all over the place.

The question really comes down to how should the judges rule in rare instances like this. Personally I think it should go by sequence of events, but it also makes sense to give a NC because both fighters were clearly incapacitated to the point of being unable to continue fighting.
Aether
6/24/07 3:58:51AM
personally I think that emerson winning because gray was out before the tap is just as valid a solution as gray winning because emmerson tapped. There is a valid argument for both... it's just a matter of setting the precedent and having the rule in place for the next time it happens whatever the choice may be.

Honestly if I had to call it I would say NC is the most fair solution. The arguments for rulings on either side are equally convincing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4