The Grapevine: “It’s a done deal. UFC has bought Pride.”

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » The Grapevine: “It’s a done deal. UFC has bought Pride.”
Next Page »
ffforgottenx
3/2/07 8:15:48AM
*edit: for those who seem to be confused, 'the grapevine' is a rumor column at mmauniverse.. i am in no way saying this is FACT.. it is a rumor.. from a usually accurate source, but a rumor

source

Credit: MMAUniverse.com

Date submitted: 02 March 2007
Submitted by: MMA Universe

We hold our hands up and say that we don’t actually have any bona fide evidence but internet cyber sleuth “PoopChuteBoxe” is staking his reputation for impeccable insider info on this piece of news. We are probably as dubious as you about unnamed Internet rumour mongers but it is a fact that FightSport.com’s “PoopChuteBoxe” does have an unnerving accuracy when it comes to revealing exclusives.

It is a known fact that Zuffa (UFC’s parent organisation) were one of the last two companies left bidding to buy ailing MMA organisation Pride Fighting Championships. The other is owned Pride USA President Ed Fishman , who was last known to be playing hard ball with Dream Stage Entertainment saying that if Pride CEO Nobuyuki Sakakibara didn’t sell him his majority stake in Pride he would set up on a major MMA organisation of his own to rival Pride.

Depending on how this went down with Pride at the final round of meetings last week, this could have swayed the final decision one way or the other

PoopChuteBoxe reports: “I talked to an impeccable source, who is as in the know as humanly possible. And it is a 100% a done deal.”

Make of it what you will. I guess we will find out either way in the next few weeks.
Stickan
3/2/07 8:28:19AM
If this is the case then wow. I don't know what to think. I just don't wanna miss out on all the japanese talent out there.
madmarck
3/2/07 8:51:55AM
i have seen this thread on other forums. From other credible sources too. It might be UFC just put in another cash offer to buy them. Ill wait before jumping for joy.
ffforgottenx
3/2/07 8:56:27AM
im not exactly jumping for joy.. just a headsup
Trapt1nw0nder
3/2/07 9:15:40AM
*jumps for joy*
MMA
3/2/07 9:17:54AM
Until I see an official announcement on the UFC website, it is still a rumor to me.
gspfan31
3/2/07 9:26:25AM
i got excited last time, i'm gonna wait till it's official before i get my hopes up this time
Ydoc
3/2/07 9:30:02AM
Hopefully its true. If UFC becomes the MLB of MMA we'll get more shows, better match ups, and merchandise up the wazoo.
mmadb
3/2/07 9:50:13AM
I hope not unless they leave it the way it is, i dont mind fighters swtiching around for those dream matchups but I like the way pride does their shows better, minus the first US show.
madmarck
3/2/07 9:57:18AM

Posted by MMA

Until I see an official announcement on the UFC website, it is still a rumor to me.

No need to wait that long. Their website is usually the last source to have it.
When it is posted on Sherdogs or MMAweekly's main page i will believe it and cry.
Ydoc
3/2/07 9:58:21AM
It'd be really cool if they kept Pride like another league... then at the end of the year all the champions of each org fight each other. The loser would have his belt put into a tourney to crown a new champ at that weight (which the loser can enter) and the winner gets a ring or something. You could fill the rest of the card with heated rivalries. The only problem with all this is how many matches some fighters have in a year... I think 5 should be the new average to make this exciting.
ReproMan
3/2/07 10:05:25AM
I'm definitely not getting my hopes up, but this would be pretty big for MMA fans in the USA.
loller90278
3/2/07 12:12:30PM
well dana said he'd keep pride as a seperate organization and run it like one..

i raelly hope this deal doesnt pan out.. they'd be stupid to sell to ufc and not fishman..
Manfred
3/2/07 12:13:20PM

The ONLY good thing about thid is dream match-ups. Monopolies are are always bad for the customers. (BTW, that's us) Bad for the fighters too. They better get a union going or somthing.
cowcatcher
3/2/07 12:32:00PM
I've said this before on here....if or when UFC buys PRIDE it will become UFC Japan, but we'd still get the cross promo matches that we all want to see. This monopoly talk is pretty ridiculous to me because every few months another organization is popping up as the new guy, and we still have localized mainstays everywhere, so by no means would Zuffa control the fight biz, they'd just be the New York Yankees of the industry. Had to add this, Dana White cares about this sport's success more than any of us because he's invested more than any of us have into it, that said, do you really think he would do anything to hurt this sport? He just wants to assemble the top talent out there and make a better product.
BloodandTears
3/2/07 12:47:16PM
What the?? Man thats as shocking as saying "USA just bought Mexico" shoot man thats a Bombshell! Holly S*#@ I'm without words at this moment! If so I am humbled!
BloodandTears
3/2/07 12:49:20PM

Posted by Ydoc

Hopefully its true. If UFC becomes the MLB of MMA we'll get more shows, better match ups, and merchandise up the wazoo.

Oh man without a doubt! This will IMO truly unify all champs in all weights! This is exactly how it should be!
madmarck
3/2/07 1:48:32PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I've said this before on here....if or when UFC buys PRIDE it will become UFC Japan, but we'd still get the cross promo matches that we all want to see. This monopoly talk is pretty ridiculous to me because every few months another organization is popping up as the new guy, and we still have localized mainstays everywhere, so by no means would Zuffa control the fight biz, they'd just be the New York Yankees of the industry. Had to add this, Dana White cares about this sport's success more than any of us because he's invested more than any of us have into it, that said, do you really think he would do anything to hurt this sport? He just wants to assemble the top talent out there and make a better product.

Yeah a small org pops up. But imgaine UFC and PRide. They would control basically all of the top tier fighters. It would be insane. thats basically a monopoly.
cowcatcher
3/2/07 2:44:59PM
why is monopoly being used here, a monopoly is when 1 body controls all related entities, you just said that others pop up. first off, monopoly isn't a dirty word, secondly, what wrong with 1 company owning the rights to 90% of the top fighters out there, are we gonna get to see too many great matchups??? a system overload for our MMA senses??? i look forward to this happening if for nothing else to end pride and ufc nuthugging, but also to see the top talent worldwide infused into 1 governing body and talent pool. i don't know what every1 is getting taught in civics classes lately but a monopoly is not what this merger/buyout would be, it would just be the biggest player in a rapidly growing industry.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/2/07 4:13:00PM
NOOOOO It cant be true!!!!
zephead
3/2/07 4:24:33PM
With a name like "PoopChuteBoxe" it has to be true. The greatest username on the net. Bar none
shawneth
3/2/07 4:56:19PM
Dana White said himself in an interview that if Zuffa bought Pride it would be kept going as a seperate org across the ocean. So everybody calm down.

That being said, how many Pride fighters will be brought over to the UFC?
redmist
3/2/07 5:11:57PM

Posted by cowcatcher

why is monopoly being used here, a monopoly is when 1 body controls all related entities, you just said that others pop up. first off, monopoly isn't a dirty word, secondly, what wrong with 1 company owning the rights to 90% of the top fighters out there, are we gonna get to see too many great matchups??? a system overload for our MMA senses??? i look forward to this happening if for nothing else to end pride and ufc nuthugging, but also to see the top talent worldwide infused into 1 governing body and talent pool. i don't know what every1 is getting taught in civics classes lately but a monopoly is not what this merger/buyout would be, it would just be the biggest player in a rapidly growing industry.

I disagree. This might seem like it would produce a better product for the fans, better fights etc. But what about the fighters themselves. How will this effect them. They will have absolutely no leverage when it comes to contract negotiations. Zuffa will have carte blanche to offer whatever sum they feel like. How can we expect this sport to not only grow but improve, when fighters are earning $2000 per fight. They can't possibly train full-time so they'll never truly fullfil their potential.
Also there's the future to think about. In order for young promising athletes to opt for a career in MMA instead of the likes of american football or basketball, the rewards have to be significantly higher than they are right now. That means we need at least 2 strong companies in direct opposition to push fighter salaries up.
As far as fighting under one governing body, i think knees to the head are an integral part of MMA, where as elbows i can live without. Pride under NASC rules doesn't really float my boat (admittedly Pride 33 was excellent).

I really hope somebody (Fishman or not) buys the company and turns their fortunes around so we can have two competing entities ensuring fairness for all.
Greene33
3/2/07 5:19:29PM
Anybody that wants Pride to be bought up by Fishman is insane.. That guy is a nut and is currantly filing a lawsuit against Pride right now unless they let him buy the company... He would run the company into the ground with his butt buddy Jerry MIllen, Fishman buying Pride would be 100X worse than if Dana White bought Pride. Fishman is an asshole and if Pride sells to the UFC his lawsuit will have had alot to do with the sale...
Spiderman
3/2/07 5:40:32PM
More people believe "poopchutebox " But dont consider the Pride owner a good source ' when he says Pride isnt for sale " and they dont believe dana when he says " if pride is for sale ? we would be interested in buying it "
hippysmacker
3/2/07 5:58:53PM

Posted by MMA

I'll second that. Too many rumors turn out to be just rumors.
roman
3/2/07 6:27:22PM

Posted by MMA

No kidding how many times have we heard this shit.
JoeMimic
3/2/07 6:48:50PM
Yeah shouldn't this be in the MMA lounge like my thread about Clementi and Guillard since mine was just a "rumor"; I guess since it's from a guy that posts named "PoopChuteBoxe" it must be better then mine which was reported on UFCJunkie.com a site thats dead on 95% of the time.
Reignofterror
3/2/07 7:00:35PM
Wow I'm really surprised, really hoping this is just a rumor.
hippysmacker
3/2/07 11:11:20PM
If it's anything more than a rumor( which I doubt) we would probably know by the end of tommorows PPV. If they have a huge deal like this done , I'm sure they will announce it tommorow.
Pages: [1] 2