Gracies in MMA??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Gracies in MMA??
POLL: Are the gracies all their cracked up to be?
Yes 44% (11)
No 4% (1)
Very Overrated 12% (3)
decent 20% (5)
Dont care about the gracies 0% (0)
stupid question 20% (5)
Naturaldisaster
10/2/08 12:58:12AM
OK i think the gracies are overrated. I dont think their even the best at their art. but I was wonderin what you guys think.
MALICE
10/2/08 1:04:57AM
In the early years of the sport, YES. They were at the top of the pedestal. In the sport nowadays, because of the evolution of the sport, they are no different than any other fighter. Except they might have a little added pressure due to their name, and all of the added hype surrounding it.
Manfred
10/2/08 1:06:10AM
10-15 years ago this poll would be a no brainer. But the sport has evolved without them. Even JJ as it applies to MMA has evolved. With the exception of maybe Renzo, they really haven't evolved.

I'm hopeful that Roger will evolve and I have high hopes for 18 year old Kron who's been tearing up jits tourneys.
Naturaldisaster
10/2/08 1:11:06AM

Posted by Manfred

10-15 years ago this poll would be a no brainer. But the sport has evolved without them. Even JJ as it applies to MMA has evolved. With the exception of maybe Renzo, they really haven't evolved.

I'm hopeful that Roger will evolve and I have high hopes for 18 year old Kron who's been tearing up jits tourneys.

Ive heard alot of Kron but ive never seen videos or anything of him.
Manfred
10/2/08 1:22:17AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by Manfred

Ive heard alot of Kron but ive never seen videos or anything of him.

\

Right now I think he'd get killed in MMA but time will tell if he sticks with jits or tries to learn the rest
Omega
10/2/08 1:31:31AM
I think they're decent and still have a lot to show. Of course between Cesar and Royce they haven't been showing their best lately.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/2/08 2:40:48AM
the Gracie's were ahead of their time....IMO they put the most emphasis on MIXED martial arts than anyone & should be given lots of credit for the sport surviving in America bc if not for Royce, it wouldve just been a big toughman competition of who could knock out who
Royce changed shit up & MADE people need a ground game

edit: i voted stupid question, but i love the topic being brought up bc of so many people's different opinions on them
jomatty
10/2/08 9:09:23AM
the gracies deserve a ton of respect but they are far from some sort of mythical unbeatable name at this point. what people forget is that if royce hadnt ran through so many guys in the first tournament the ufc would have started as little more than a tough guy competition and would not have gotten many peoples interest up. watching what royce did made me think, man that little dude just beat up those big bad dudes and didnt hardly throw a punch. that was interesting to me. if another gracie never wins a fight they deserve a world of credit for showing the world that there is more to martial arts than fancy kicks and jumping nonsense...i however think roger is gonna be a top tier heavy weight...
SpiderSilva
10/2/08 10:56:35AM
If there are 2 Jits guys fighting 1 a blck belt under a Gracie vs a black belt under some else who is more likely to win
MALICE
10/2/08 11:09:00AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

If there are 2 Jits guys fighting 1 a blck belt under a Gracie vs a black belt under some else who is more likely to win

If you are looking for Gracie Guy as the answer, I don't buy it. There is so much more to the question. Guy #2 could be train with world class wrestlers and strikers, considering that I would choose Guy #2.

But if you mean no other skills involved, just JJ, I would give a slight advantage to the Gracie Fighter, but not much.
Nitrus
10/2/08 11:25:50AM
If wasn't for the Gracies, MAYBE the MMA we know today, won't be the same thing..

I think they deserve all respect that we can gave, being past, present or Future.

Kron Gracie is one who can put Gracie name in MMA again, some months ago the turned blackbelt, but while he was brown belt, he was considered one of the bests already. If he learn MMA as he learned BJJ, this guy will be a good one.
postman
10/2/08 12:23:13PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

If the guy is a black belt under the Nog brothers I prob would go with him. You know he will be a top level Jits guy and his striking will be good to.
Naturaldisaster
10/2/08 2:03:01PM

Posted by postman

Posted by SpiderSilva

If the guy is a black belt under the Nog brothers I prob would go with him. You know he will be a top level Jits guy and his striking will be good to.

Rush
10/2/08 4:03:15PM
I don't really understand the question. Honeslty, I can't remember the last time I heard someone say something along the lines of a Gracie (or Gracies) being the best at MMA.

It's pretty common knowledge these days that members of the Gracie family have not done well in MMA as of late. In fact, there has been a lack of Gracie MMA participants in the last couple years.

The way I look at it is, the Gracies don't care as much about MMA as they do the legacy of their name. I think they accomplished what they set out to do as far as MMA goes and that was to popularize "their" style throughout the world. If you look at the two most popular Gracie MMA fighters (Royce and Renzo), I think both of them are more distant (than others) from the rest of the family, especially Royce. To me, that suggests that their continued involvement with MMA possibly deviated from the rest of the families' vision.

So in conclusion, I don't think I have ever heard anyone "overrate" a Gracie's MMA ability in a long long time, nor do I think it's relevant to their skills in BJJ., which I believe are recognized as being world class.
seanfu
10/2/08 9:18:14PM
Theyre obviously outdated and have stopped alot of the shit talking. The family has an ironic fate in my eyes. Founded their own style by evolving JJ (dissapprovingly) And now they wont evolve their grappling because of tradition and arent even necessarrily the top practitioners of their own style. But we all know who was on top during the pre 2000s era. Its proven history. I guess you cant hate em for ONLY reigning on top for half a century plus some.