Gracie University

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Gracie University
postman
8/29/10 11:28:45PM
Has anyone seen this? I don't belive that training from the web or video is the best way to do it but how do you guys feel about learning online and sending a video of your test to the Gracie academy to be tested? I'm on the fence i guese. It's not the best way to do it but for someone with out any other option its not the worst route to take.

Gracie U

Edit:

I am kinda shocked they will awrad belts to the online users. The whole way to Brown 3 stripe. You can not get your Black belt with out going to the Academy to test.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 11:43:58PM
Yeah, I found out about this because of a post that Grappler (I think) made where they broke down Werdum's win over Fedor. There was a link to their university and I clicked on it and began watching their stuff.

I'm not sure it's the best way to do thing, but they do require you to send a video of you doing these moves from both sides in order to get your belts. They watch and critique it. I suppose it's no different than any other online course available to students. The world is becoming more and more reliant on the internet, why would BJJ lessons be any different.

I mean, if you can get a law degree online....
Jackelope
8/29/10 11:44:00PM
interestingly enough they have a specific link for skeptics.

I think it's a joke personally. I don't doubt some people are capable of learning online, but they are few and far between with something as practical as physical movements that require muscle memory.

I think it's even more of a joke that they try to play off the online learning as the "wave of the future". I just don't buy it and I think it's a cheap cop out of an excuse. Online learning through a university is much different than learning something like a martial art. You can learn math online, not jiu jitsu.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/29/10 11:47:27PM

Posted by Jackelope

interestingly enough they have a specific link for skeptics.

I think it's a joke personally. I don't doubt some people are capable of learning online, but they are few and far between with something as practical as physical movements that require muscle memory.

I think it's even more of a joke that they try to play off the online learning as the "wave of the future". I just don't buy it and I think it's a cheap cop out of an excuse. Online learning through a university is much different than learning something like a martial art. You can learn math online, not jiu jitsu.

Yeah, but dude, they award Ph.D.'s, J.D.'s and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you can get an M.D. online.

I don't know about you, but if I found out my lawyer got his Juris Doctorate from the Abe Lincoln Online School of Law, I'm canning him for the guy that got his degree from Lewis and Clark University.
Jackelope
8/30/10 10:17:24AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Yeah, but dude, they award Ph.D.'s, J.D.'s and I wouldn't be surprised to find out that you can get an M.D. online.

I don't know about you, but if I found out my lawyer got his Juris Doctorate from the Abe Lincoln Online School of Law, I'm canning him for the guy that got his degree from Lewis and Clark University.

At least with JD's and PhD's there are certain clinical times you have to meet where you're in person actually doing the work amongst supervisors.

The two are completely different, though. JDS and PhDs aren't muscle based exercises. You can watch video, video conference, turn in written assignments, and read books in online classes.

I know what you're saying though and we could argue the semantics all day long if you wanted to take that route. I agree that online schooling in general isn't as good as "the real thing" but I feel like I could let an online educational degree pass long before I could let something like this pass.
Rush
9/1/10 12:55:59AM
I will say there is nothing novel about the idea other than it being web based. Back in the 90s I knew of martial arts schools where you could mail VHS tapes of you doing the techniques in order to test. Then again, those were sword based schools so the techniques are a little easier to see.

Now on the flip side, again, back in the 90s Gracies would also award ranks at their seminars just by watching you roll for about 5 min. At least for blue belt. I was at a Royce seminar in 96 when Jeff Joslin got his blue belt.

I think the BJJ market is pretty close to being saturated and this is just another effort for the Gracies to make some extra $$$. Just like every other martial art (including mma) out there, it is all about making money. One could argue that their name is still attached to their product, but I think in the opinion of any credible martial artist one could distinguish a rank obtained online vs. one at a real academy (where you would get first class instruction). However, according to the site Achieving rank through Gracie University is the same as achieving rank through the Gracie Academy. Your belt will be under Ryron and Rener Gracie, since they are your primary instructors. Noting your black belt test must be held at the academy in Torrance, CA. Maybe the testing requirements are very stringent and this is legit, though I must say, even in academia all PhDs are not looked at as being necessarily equal depending on their alma mater, at least to those in the field.

Another point I would like to make is that this sounds like a completely different system of GJJ per se. They seem to emphasize that this is for street self defense and not tournament BJJ. There does seem to be a distinction between this series and the master cycle series.

Another point I want to make is that the Gracie family has diverged in philosophy and teaching of GJJ and that what you get under Rickson, Royce, etc. is a different philosophy than that of the Gracie academy. In fact, according to this site, they do not even verify ranks outside of the Gracie academy unless you take their tests.