Gracie Family Pride

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Gracie Family Pride
Khaos
6/24/08 4:56:29PM
I was thinking about the Gracie's and their views on getting submitted. In my opinion it's a little stupid. I think Renzo Gracie is the best exaple , in his fight against Sakuraba he gets his arm(or elbow) dislocated in a keylock(kimura) and still says "I didn't tap". That's not that smart, I mean I would rather 'tap" then get "snapped". I've always found their pride rather annoying, but I'm not taking it away from them. I just think that their arrogant pride is just plain dumb.

They are good fighters,don't get me wrong but some of them(Royce for example) would rather Quit then lose and all there special rules matchs are annoying)

So really I'm only saying Royce and Renzo are annoying. Well I think they all are. None of them are that good anyway.
keith-hackney1
6/24/08 4:58:06PM

Posted by Khaos

I was thinking about the Gracie's and their views on getting submitted. In my opinion it's a little stupid. I think Renzo Gracie is the best exaple , in his fight against Sakuraba he gets his arm(or elbow) dislocated in a keylock(kimura) and still says "I didn't tap". That's not that smart, I mean I would rather 'tap" then get "snapped". I've always found their pride rather annoying, but I'm not taking it away from them. I just think that their arrogant pride is just plain dumb.

They are good fighters,don't get me wrong but some of them(Royce for example) would rather Quit then lose and all there special rules matchs are annoying)

So really I'm only saying Royce and Renzo are annoying,I'll exclude the rest.

Bollocks to the gracies !! They are all frauds to the mma scene !!
zephead
6/24/08 5:47:07PM
They are warriors, and Royce's "special rules" are no time limits. The Gracies are a big reason MMA is where it's at. IThey're not my favorite fighters, but they are warriors.
Khaos
6/24/08 5:53:28PM

Posted by zephead

They are warriors, and Royce's "special rules" are no time limits. The Gracies are a big reason MMA is where it's at. IThey're not my favorite fighters, but they are warriors.

Yeah but do you really want to see another 90 minute fight, allbeit a good fight , I only like it 'casue Royce gets his ass kicked in the latter rounds
zephead
6/24/08 5:57:23PM

Posted by Khaos

Posted by zephead

Yeah but do you really want to see another 90 minute fight, allbeit a good fight , I only like it 'casue Royce gets his ass kicked in the latter rounds

I don't see to many fighters being able to go 90 minutes. I'm not a big fan, but I respect the hell out of them
scoozna
6/24/08 5:57:30PM
The purist in me likes the idea of not-tapping or no time limits.
keith-hackney1
6/24/08 7:29:22PM
When rickson gracie was considered the best fighter in Brazil, they turned to The homelands to seek out the toughest opponent that rickson could fight to make him become a fighting legend around the world. In came Zulu, a guy who was ko'ing every guy with his size and athleticism it seemed there was no one tough enough to stop him. 2 hours before their fight the gracies changed the rules which included that zulu was not allowed to strike rickson to the face in an MMA event that was suposed to have no rules ... !!! Royce gracie, the first star of the UFC who brought mma to the world ... Of course he did. His brother Rorian was the owner of the event which his brother Royce represented. All the fighters from the early UFC's have already said that the UFC was run by the gracie mafia !! Rules were adapted and changed just like before to ensure the Gracie style of bjj would overcome any fighting style. Im not saying the gracies are pussy's, they actually did get in there and fight guys, but by UFC 5 fighters had already begun to cross train in order to combat the the gracie style, It was beatable, even back then, ask wallid ismaill !! And just when the sport began to take shape and great fighters from all over the world began to challenge royce, he retires. Rickson made it his mission to beat all japanese fighters as the rivalry between japan and brazil began to fight over the origins of Gracie jj. If i am right, Helio was taught Japanese jj by a japanese traveller, only then did the gracies perfect their own style which is now known as Gracie jj. Either way, i dont believe that the old school gracies are able to be dominant in this sport as it is today, i think the time limits and rules have to be there in order to determine a winner. I hate fights to go to a decision, but i also hate the thought of fights being ruled as a draw if no one prevails indecisively.
The gracies certainly done their bit in making mma/ martial arts a part of the world today, but their style in this day and age is no longer the ultimate martial art that defeats all on comers. GJJ is still a very affective art to learn and fight with, but on its own, its not enough, its one of many martial arts needed to be a complete fighter in the world of mma. I still believe that american wrestling is a better style than the gracies style of bjj. Wrestling has dominated the ufc longer than bjj has.
mrsmiley
6/24/08 7:42:21PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

When rickson gracie was considered the best fighter in Brazil, they turned to The homelands to seek out the toughest opponent that rickson could fight to make him become a fighting legend around the world. In came Zulu, a guy who was ko'ing every guy with his size and athleticism it seemed there was no one tough enough to stop him. 2 hours before their fight the gracies changed the rules which included that zulu was not allowed to strike rickson to the face in an MMA event that was suposed to have no rules ... !!! Royce gracie, the first star of the UFC who brought mma to the world ... Of course he did. His brother Rorian was the owner of the event which his brother Royce represented. All the fighters from the early UFC's have already said that the UFC was run by the gracie mafia !! Rules were adapted and changed just like before to ensure the Gracie style of bjj would overcome any fighting style. Im not saying the gracies are pussy's, they actually did get in there and fight guys, but by UFC 5 fighters had already begun to cross train in order to combat the the gracie style, It was beatable, even back then, ask wallid ismaill !! And just when the sport began to take shape and great fighters from all over the world began to challenge royce, he retires. Rickson made it his mission to beat all japanese fighters as the rivalry between japan and brazil began to fight over the origins of Gracie jj. If i am right, Helio was taught Japanese jj by a japanese traveller, only then did the gracies perfect their own style which is now known as Gracie jj. Either way, i dont believe that the old school gracies are able to be dominant in this sport as it is today, i think the time limits and rules have to be there in order to determine a winner. I hate fights to go to a decision, but i also hate the thought of fights being ruled as a draw if no one prevails indecisively.
The gracies certainly done their bit in making mma/ martial arts a part of the world today, but their style in this day and age is no longer the ultimate martial art that defeats all on comers. GJJ is still a very affective art to learn and fight with, but on its own, its not enough, its one of many martial arts needed to be a complete fighter in the world of mma. I still believe that american wrestling is a better style than the gracies style of bjj. Wrestling has dominated the ufc longer than bjj has.

Mitsuyo Maeda taught Carlos Gracie JJ as a child in return for his father helping him with politics.Helio took the techniques Carlos learned and modified,and modified them even more.Realying more on leverage than strength.

I see were you're coming from on a lot of this,but I'm inclined to agree with Big John we he said the Gracies kept things fair during the first UFC's.He said had their been in backstage BS,he would have been the first to call it.
zephead
6/24/08 9:29:46PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by keith-hackney1

Mitsuyo Maeda taught Carlos Gracie JJ as a child in return for his father helping him with politics.Helio took the techniques Carlos learned and modified,and modified them even more.Realying more on leverage than strength.

I see were you're coming from on a lot of this,but I'm inclined to agree with Big John we he said the Gracies kept things fair during the first UFC's.He said had their been in backstage BS,he would have been the first to call it.

I agree. I think alot of the fighters from UFC 1 through UFC4 were just pissed that this skinny Brazilian was beating them.