Should Governments Legalize and Tax Marijuana?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Should Governments Legalize and Tax Marijuana?
« Previous Page | Next Page »
higdon10
10/31/08 11:25:10PM

Posted by cmill21

Lol so you think everyone should have the right to harm themselves? Thats an awsome way to look at it. Civil liberties are fine, but laws have to be there lol.

I like getting high just like everyone else, andI think that legalizing weed wouldn't be a bad thing, but cmill makes a very good point.
hippysmacker
10/31/08 11:25:23PM

Posted by Pitbull09

We already have enough deaths from cigarettes and drinking, lets keep it there. Legal weed wouldn't do the country any good, I dont care how much money they would make.

Absolutely. The most ridiculous argument someone can make is well they got away with it, so we should too. If it were up to me, i would ban all of them outside the home,and always in the presence of children. If grown people ,want to drink smoke pot, cigarette's in their house, and need of them doesn't cause them to break other laws -go ahead Just do it in your own home. Don't drive after , don't go out in public causing problems, operate machinery etc. Now cigarettes obviously don't affect behavior as much, but I don't think I should have to smell someone else's smoke . However to say if Alcohol is legal then weed should be too, is ludicrous as a reason. Thats like me saying my house got robbed by your brother , and he didn't go to jail. So my brother should be able to rob you without consequence, 2 wrongs definitely don't make a right. You are just adding to the worlds problems.
mentalcase
10/31/08 11:34:07PM

Posted by cmill21

Lol so you think everyone should have the right to harm themselves? Thats an awsome way to look at it. Civil liberties are fine, but laws have to be there lol.

Its not a matter of what i think, it is what it is, what i mean is people will always be able to hurt them self’s with any thing running and falling over on Concrete or whatever, how can u justify making something illegal because i has the potential to cause harm?
F**kit lets ban MMA I see people hurting them selfs and each other in it, lets ban this inhuman sport of human cockfighting MMA should be ilegal!!!

do you know what i mean??
cmill21
10/31/08 11:46:22PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by cmill21

Its not a matter of what i think, it is what it is, what i mean is people will always be able to hurt them self’s with any thing running and falling over on concert or whatever, how can u justify making something illegal because i has the potential to cause harm?
F**kit lets ban MMA I see people hurting them selfs and each other in it, lets ban this inhuman sport of human cockfighting MMA should be ilegal!!!

do you know what i mean??

Yes I know what you mean but what I mean is: Your high, your doing something awsome, you and your buddies decide to quit watching Scooby doo and go grab some dorito's, you being the smartest of your high buddies decides to drive, you kill my sister because you guys were laughing so hard at the dog on the side of the road you didn't see her in the cross walk. Now your not only hurting your body, you killed my sister, destroyed my parents and my family. You legalize weed you will have more and more kids thinking it's ok, and in turn will have more and more people driving under the influence, causing more and more deaths related to weed. See what I mean?
mentalcase
10/31/08 11:56:28PM
Yes I know what u mean but alcohol dose the same and its legal as it should be, bad things will always happen you take the good with the bad with everything in life just look out for your self and loved ones and associate with the right type of people but even then nothing will guaranty that harm wont come to you.

Look I don’t want to argue all day I respectfully agree to disagree, nice avatar I like cro cop too
cmill21
11/1/08 12:00:43AM

Posted by mentalcase

Yes I know what u mean but alcohol dose the same and its legal as it should be, bad things will always happen you take the good with the bad with everything in life just look out for your self and loved ones and associate with the right type of people but even then nothing but will guaranty that harm wont come to you.

Look I don’t want to argue all day I respectfully agree to disagree, nice avatar I like cro cop too

Will prop for keeping it civil.
Kracker_Jap
11/1/08 1:27:01AM
I'm back from taking my kids trick or treating......

read all of the post can't possibly respond to all that I disagree with......

I can't really see banning something because its bad for you, would or should we ban saturated fats because its bad??? Well they are doing that right now in Seattle... And for me as a Conservative I think that is Government over stepping its bounds

so in my head i think the best argument is to ban the herb because it may cause a danger to others around the user, but still I disagree with that notion

I was wondering if some one can lay down an example of Marijuana being banned for anything other than it is bad for you??? Because the bad for you argument is lame and can be held towards so many other aspects in life.. I do not believe that the government should be allowed to be responsible for the decisions of an adult when it comes to health not in a nation with the largest obesity rate in the world, or should we start to ban fat people?? because its bad for you
cmill21
11/1/08 2:04:32AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

I'm back from taking my kids trick or treating......

read all of the post can't possibly respond to all that I disagree with......

I can't really see banning something because its bad for you, would or should we ban saturated fats because its bad??? Well they are doing that right now in Seattle... And for me as a Conservative I think that is Government over stepping its bounds

so in my head i think the best argument is to ban the herb because it may cause a danger to others around the user, but still I disagree with that notion

I was wondering if some one can lay down an example of Marijuana being banned for anything other than it is bad for you??? Because the bad for you argument is lame and can be held towards so many other aspects in life.. I do not believe that the government should be allowed to be responsible for the decisions of an adult when it comes to health not in a nation with the largest obesity rate in the world, or should we start to ban fat people?? because its bad for you

Just crious but why do you disagree with the notion that it causes danger to others? It's just one more thing for people to use legally that endagers peoples lives. Guns, alcohol, smoking, ect endanger others lives. With guns you have kids stealing their parents guns to shoot kids who bully them at school, with alcohol you have liver diseas and drunk driving, and smoking causes cancer not only in the user but the people around them. None should be legal, why do people need to carry guns? Why do people need to smoke? Why do people need to drink? I don't have a problem with people wanting to live their lives but when you endanger my family I take acception. If you want to sit in your basement and smoke weed, go hard, but if you want it to be legal for everyone to use and give them one more legal thing that alters their state of mind and could lead them to possibly hurt someone I know and love, I do care. Imagin your kids out trick or treating and someone high on weed hits them because they're high on weed you voted to legalize. I know it could happen when it's illegal, but as soon as you legalize it more people think that it's ok, and therefore more and more kids growing up will be using it, hightening the chance for your kids to get hit.
mkiv9secsupra
11/1/08 2:08:42AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

cmill you stated your an alcoholic right . Do you think alcohol should be illegal ?

Yep. It ruins lives and damages the body, why should people be allowed to use it? The reason it's legal is so we don't have more of what happend in the 20's.

Im just curious why you think you have the right to control what anyone else does if it does not effect you one bit?
cmill21
11/1/08 2:10:37AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by cmill21

cmill you stated your an alcoholic right . Do you think alcohol should be illegal ?

Yep. It ruins lives and damages the body, why should people be allowed to use it? The reason it's legal is so we don't have more of what happend in the 20's.

Im just curious why you think you have the right to control what anyone else does if it does not effect you one bit?

I don't think I have the right to, but as I have said if it's legal more will use, hightening the likely hood that we will se more and more "high driving" deaths. So it does effect me.
Pookie
11/1/08 6:51:26AM
I am for the legalizing of weed for the economic benefits we would reap as a society.

Marijuana is California's #1 cash crop, If you legalize it you can start taxing it, helping to alleviate our debt(as a nation, and in particular California). You also cut alot of the money our government has to feed into our prisons to sustain and feed inmates, Im not so sure of the numbers anymore(Probably due to the Side-effects of Weed ) But i remember it was a ridiculous amount of prisoners are there for marijuana related drug charges.

I also believe that when it becomes legal, the dealers who had a job selling dank before, now have to keep up with the multi-million dollar companies who are going to get into the business(Marlboro for instance). They will all go out of business because the price is going to drop immensely due to the safety of selling the product legally, and they wont be able to keep up sales in such a market.

And through my personal experiences with pot i can say with Certainty that Marijuana in its current state(Illegal) becomes a gateway drug for Selling Drugs. Every Dealer starts at pot, take away pot and now those same kids have to try and make money in the Coke, Shroom, or Exstacy world and i can gurantee a great amount of those same kids wont even try it.

Not to mention that it does help improve the quality of life for MS, Glaocoma & Chemotherapy patients... as well as its other medicinal uses, like the treatment of depression, anxiety, lack of appetite, insomnia...etc
In particular about depression, i have a few friends who have been diagnosed with it and most have said that Marijuana works just as well as their presciption, and prefer it over pills.

I can understand Cmill's point as well.. different opinions but i understand where your coming from
postman
11/1/08 11:57:31AM
I think they should leave weed alone if you get caught with a qp or less no big deal. don't smoke in public or around kids no big deal. Just don't get caught holding pounds of bud and don't moke around kids or while driving its ok with me.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/1/08 1:25:36PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by cmill21

I don't think I have the right to, but as I have said if it's legal more will use, hightening the likely hood that we will se more and more "high driving" deaths. So it does effect me.

You keep bringing up the same argument over and over that if it is legal more people will use it. That is completely false . Look at the statistics in holland, Canadian use per person is far greater.

You also keep bringing up your " high driving" argument . Would you please provide an example of solely high driving related deaths? Marijuana and alcohol in the system together does not count. I dont recommend driving stoned but they have done tests in the uk and the drivers actually drove better while stoned vs sober . Marijuana makes you overly cautious/paranoid, not a retard who as you say laughs at dogs on the side of the road .
iwannabesedated
11/1/08 1:27:53PM

Posted by cmill21

you think that people can drive high?

Yeah its not hard.

Kracker_Jap
11/1/08 2:29:18PM
A danger to others????

Really??? as opposed to the millions of people on the roads driving right now high on prescription meds, energy drinks, and other drugs like crack, crank and alcohol....

Cmill you maybe surprised to really know how many people out there over 30 are in fact still avid pot smokers the reason they hide it more than others under30 is because they have more to lose and it is illegal.....

Calling it a danger to others with out acknowledging the other greater legal dangers of the word is a bit blind, The fact is marijuana is illegal and people have been trained that is bad with out any real serious thought
nastshabast
11/1/08 2:35:09PM
I drive better when I'm high.
cmill21
11/1/08 2:42:04PM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

A danger to others????

Really??? as opposed to the millions of people on the roads driving right now high on prescription meds, energy drinks, and other drugs like crack, crank and alcohol....

Cmill you maybe surprised to really know how many people out there over 30 are in fact still avid pot smokers the reason they hide it more than others under30 is because they have more to lose and it is illegal.....

Calling it a danger to others with out acknowledging the other greater legal dangers of the word is a bit blind, The fact is marijuana is illegal and people have been trained that is bad with out any real serious thought

I said there are plenty of other things that are legal and a danger to many people, my point was why add one more. Lol I love how you guys keep saying I missed a point when I have stated it over and over. As for you guys being "better" drivers when your high, how do you know? Do you video tape it and watch when your sober? Probably not. I have a friend who swears he's a much better driver when he's drunk, thing is how could he possibly know other then the fact that he's not getting arrested and he hasn't killed anyone.

Studies show it's a good idea to get high and drive
Kracker_Jap
11/1/08 3:33:38PM
Here is a point you might have got side tracked on.....

The thread is to legalize and tax marijuana.......

Not to make it legal to drive under the influence of marijuana
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
11/1/08 3:37:20PM
Solidus
11/1/08 6:27:30PM
Just to put things into perspective, 2,600 deaths and 330,000 injuries are caused every year by drivers using cell phones and other electronic devices.

37% of all traffic accidents,15,829 of 42,532 fatalities on the road were alcohol related.

I cant find any reliable stats involving marijuana specifically, but take your pick from 4-11% of all accidents. However, all the stats lump marijuana into the same category as prescription meds and alcohol to the hardcore stuff like cocaine and heroin. All the reports that ive found seem to cite that marijuana wasnt the only contributing factor, alcohol and others were almost always involved as well.

I think its safe to assume that pot alone really isnt a huge factor considering everything else that's to blame for accidents on the road. THC affects your ability to concentrate and think quickly. So to compensate you're going to drive slower and try to be more careful giving you the perception that you drive better while stoned. The affects arent really cumulative and dont last long anyway. I would put a stoned driver at being much less of a risk than some idiot trying to text while driving 55mph. And its not like people are out committing crimes after smoking weed, hell getting up off the couch is enough work.

That said, I think the arguement that legalizing it will put more people in danger is pretty weak.

Just one other point...if it's legalized and taxed why would that make the dealers stop selling their own stock?

Not much is going to change as far as their part is concerned, they can still make money selling at a lower price than is offered elsewhere. I could see it discouraging the user from buying, but I cant see it being so much of a problem that they have to resort to selling harder stuff. The government will be spending less on the war on drugs and much less pressure will be put on dealers and users alike. If anything they would be freer to carry on with buisness.
dannyfrank
11/1/08 8:05:27PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by dannyfrank

if alcohol is legal, mary jane should be too.

alcohol has caused people to get angry and kill people, it makes them fight, and it makes them crash cars when they're stupid enough to drink n drive.

what does weed do?

it makes you really happy and gives you the munchies. ive never heard of somebody dying from smoking marijuana or even killing someone in a car accident while smoking it.

it just seems hypocritical

Your joking if you think it's ok to drive under the influence of anything that effects you like weed does. People on tylenol with condine aren't supposed to drive and you think that people can drive high?

did i say it was okay for someone to smoke weed and drive? no, i didn't. all i said was that people get killed all the time from driving while drunk, when i have never heard of anybody killing themselves from driving high. so, is it okay to drive high? no. but if something as dangerous as alcohol is legal, then weed should be too.
CwB
11/1/08 9:44:06PM
it seems like people are set in there beliefs once again and i dont see any one changing there minds...

cmill had good points against it

and

mkiv, mental and other had good points for legalizing it

whether it is legal or not i will always smoke pot occasionally
and i dont see anything wrong with others doing the same thing

but no matter what, i see pot becoming legal within the next ten years, if not sooner, and we will all find out if it is a good thing or a bad thing then. ( they might even out law pot shortly after)
mikevolz
11/2/08 2:30:56AM
we receive money from taxes off a lot of illegal drugs as it is.

the process of laundering money accounts for it.
Pookie
11/2/08 5:07:46AM

Posted by Solidus

Just one other point...if it's legalized and taxed why would that make the dealers stop selling their own stock?

Not being able to keep up with big business.

Marlboro has already trademarked Marlboro Greens* so ill use them as the example. As a multi-million dollar business they can buy up the product in bulk of 100's of lbs at a time - compared to a regular pot dealer that probably re-ups anywhere between 1 oz to a 1lbs of it. And when you buy in huge amounts of anything, you get it for cheaper. Thus when it gets to the consumer Marlboro's product is going to be much cheaper than the normal drug dealer.

If its home grown then nothing changes,

disorderlyvision
11/2/08 11:22:15AM

Posted by cmill21

For the people who say it grows from the ground naturally, well yeah it does, but so does heroine(poppy plants), Cocain(Coca plant), Mescaline(peyote). Not all things the earth produces are good for us lol. I also think tabacco should be illegal(I'm an avid cigar smoker and I chew tabacco).

those are all products manufactured from the plants, weed is not manufactured. it is dried and smoked.

its non of the governments business what people ingest into their bodies. according to the constitution it is not the federal governmnents place to regulate marijuana, it should be left to the states. the government wrongly interpreted the "commerce clause" in the constitution to give theirself unprecedented power over the states. and the fourth amendment protects our right to be sucure in our homes (no government interference) if i choose to smoke pot in my house, it is my business not the government.

and fxck all you haters, if you dont want to smoke, DON"T, but leave me the fxck alone. go live in China if you want to live somewhere that doesn't care about civil liberties and freedom.
RampageOwnedYou
11/2/08 12:52:21PM
Pot should be legal, and no they should not tax it. But i see it being taxed, because if it ever became legal, they would do it just like smokes and alcohol and tax us.

I think its insane, how alcohol is legal and it is the lead causes of death in motor accidents. Not only that but alcohol is way more addictive, and destroys more families than anything else.

You hear people who drink alot, bitch and moan how pot is worse, or look down on people who smoke it due to it being illegal. But if Alcohol ever became illegal, you think these people would stop drinking? Hell no!!!

george112
11/2/08 1:01:16PM
to answer your question.

yes i do think that we should legalize marijauna.tax eh im iffy on that.

but do i think its going to happen?.no i dont think it will.

the reason i think this is because.the goverment wont be able to tax it.well i guess they could if they import it.but come on.to many people grow it themselves.i even have dabbled into growing my own.

Also.
our government has spent so much money demoralizing marijauna and other drugs.that it would make the government look like fools if the legalize it.and if i kno one thing about our government.its that it doesnt like to admit when its wrong..look at the dam ethanol for example..
We_Todd_Did
11/2/08 5:02:19PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

No i dont think it should be legal. I've never done any kind of drug, and Never will. I think it should stay illegal.

Soooo, basically, you have no experience to back up what you're saying, your opinions on the effects of marijuana are pure hearsay, and in spite of the fact that you had the freedom to decide not to do drugs, you don't think that others deserve to have that freedom of choice because they may think differently than you?

Please, by all means, correct me if I'm wrong.
We_Todd_Did
11/2/08 5:14:56PM

Posted by cmill21

I said there are plenty of other things that are legal and a danger to many people, my point was why add one more. Lol I love how you guys keep saying I missed a point when I have stated it over and over. As for you guys being "better" drivers when your high, how do you know? Do you video tape it and watch when your sober? Probably not. I have a friend who swears he's a much better driver when he's drunk, thing is how could he possibly know other then the fact that he's not getting arrested and he hasn't killed anyone.

Studies show it's a good idea to get high and drive

You seem to be implying that marijuana impairs you to the point that you can't make an objective observation about your own actions while under the influence of it.Now, I realize that to do so probably seems like a contradiction to you, but I assure you, it is not.I , as someone who does have longtime experience with marijuana, can and have compared the two mindsets.Now, I would never attempt to imply that driving while high is without it's hazards, especially with some people, the fact of the matter is that it's effects on motor skills are minimal TO THE AVERAGE SMOKER.Some people don't handle it as well, and for that, I concede that perhaps there should be consequences to driving while high.Others, however, become a little more "edgy" while high, so become hypersensitive to their surroundings.However, your remarks lead me to believe that you have no clue what you are saying from an objective point of view, and this is more of an argument about your sense of morality than about actual dangers which it may pose.

All of that aside, whether or not marijuana is legalized does not necessarily mean that it should be legal to drive under it's influence, I would love to hear any arguments against its legalization which does not involve motor vehicles or lung damage, for that matter.

BTW, your friend is a complete idiot for saying that he or anyone else can drive better drunk, and bringing that into this conversation is a complete apples-and-oranges argument.
We_Todd_Did
11/2/08 5:37:38PM

Posted by Pitbull09

We already have enough deaths from cigarettes and drinking, lets keep it there. Legal weed wouldn't do the country any good, I dont care how much money they would make.

Just out of curiosity, how would you feel about this if a significant percentage of people decided to smoke marijuana IN STEAD OF drink alcohol, for the most part, rather than in addition to drinking, if it were legalized? Please, don't ague "that wouldn't happen", let's just say that, hypothetically, that were the case.

Also, let's try to avoid speaking in absolutes about things that haven't happened yet ; it really has a tendency to kill productive conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4