Should Governments Legalize and Tax Marijuana?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Should Governments Legalize and Tax Marijuana?
Next Page »
Kracker_Jap
10/31/08 6:32:37PM
Here is a interesting topic......

Should Governments Legalize and Tax Marijuana?

Here is my background on the subject, I grew up with pot heads as parents they smoked in front of me and grew it around me, When i was 14 my house was on the front page of the local news paper for one of the largest bust in the county. It wasn't really a bust though because we had a house fire that lead to the cops finding the plants......

Any how I have a very negative perspective on my parents and what they put me through while I was growing up, Do I blame the fact that they where pot heads?? NO I blame the fact they where bad parents

Now I am a very conservative parent and do plan on doing the best I can to limit the exposure to the evils of the world (which is hard these days)

My wives family is wealthy and are constantly getting wined out around my kids, it pisses me off, and makes me think why is pot against the law when people get this drunk. I see no real difference between a wine conosur and a pot head that likes the finest green....

What are your thoughts on legalizing marijuana and taxing it like the do with alcohol... I think it would work

I know I left holes in my story but i did it on purpose so i could argue my points later
nastshabast
10/31/08 6:53:04PM
Legalize and no tax. But I don't care what your country does, but I invite you here, nobody really gives a shit. Smoke em if you got em.
Poohbah
10/31/08 6:59:44PM
Legalize and tax pot? Sounds crazy, but so did gay marriage not too long ago, so who knows.

If the government sees all the potential money they could make off the tax, it may make them think long and hard. Especially during these massive budget shortfalls. Any tax revenue has got to look good right about now.
cmill21
10/31/08 7:13:09PM
No it effects your mood and personality even when not using. Plus the last thing the world needs is more legalized shit that kills you.
CaliforniaMed
10/31/08 7:16:05PM

Posted by cmill21

No it effects your mood and personality even when not using. Plus the last thing the world needs is more legalized shit that kills you.

marijuana is killer, not a killer.

aaa9erh8er
10/31/08 7:19:29PM
marijuana it self itsnt bad but the inhaltion of swisher smoke it solution smoke out of a vaperizer or bong and you wont die
breakdown5
10/31/08 7:26:54PM
Yes they should. And then they could take that money and put it towards something useful like education or healthcare. Cigarettes and alcohol kill more people every year than every drug combined together. Weed kills no one.

Also, it would eliminate the criminal element from any sort of drug trafficking. The only reason it is profitable to sell pot is because it's legal status drives up the price. I don't know any one who sells tobacco out of their home, but I can't say the same for the green.

Legalizing it would drive down the cost of the product for the consumer. There is an ounce of tobacco in a pack of cigarettes, which can be purchased for less than ten dollars a pack. I got news for you non smokers out there, weed is a lot more than ten bucks for an ounce.
mkiv9secsupra
10/31/08 8:27:54PM

Posted by cmill21

War leaves psychological and emotional effects so let's ban that too. Guns kill more immensely but they are legal. Alcohol has led to 1000000 times more health problems and FOOD has been a real killer that can cause depression. Why don't we go ahead and all of those as well. Cigarettes are so much more dangerous as well. There is no way anyone can justify not legalizing it other than a personal biased toward any thing related to the lifestyle. Hell cars are more dangerous than weed. What conditions has marijuana been linked to in human health?
seanfu
10/31/08 8:59:08PM
It's already not even a big deal. Cops don't exactly put it on their hotlist. If you're not a retard you won't get caught.

Look at the facts, a lot of heavy users act like dumbasses. The only harmful effects are death by overdose of cookiedough.

And they don't market the true concern of weed. If you smoke it boredom is okay, and if you're fine being bored and not doing much then there's no need to develop any talent.

I don't smoke it, would I, maybe, but when I'm bored I research shit of do art. Had I been cool with boredom I probably wouldn't do MMA or art I would watch Tenacious D and The Pick of Destiny for the 100th time and laugh.

Personal choice and rarely destroys or damages someones life.
Twenty20Dollars
10/31/08 9:00:25PM
I am not for people smoking marijuana, it's bad for you. Bad for your lungs.

But the whole thing is, the goverment I think would have a hard time taxing it. I think that's the potheads are my work were trying to tell me.
CwB
10/31/08 9:03:54PM
I like my current situation where pot is not legal because i am getting really good prices from my friend and i feel that when it is legal that the taxes and the price on marijuana will go up...

pros
its legal, no more tickets/jail time
when getting a job pot wont stop you from getting it

cons
higher prices (Maybe but i think so)
also some pot dealers make alot of money selling pot if you legalize it where do they go from there, probably selling harder drugs and the last thing we need are more street drugs like meth and heroin

it makes absolutley no sense to me that alcohol and cigarettes are legal but pot isn't

so i am very mixed on the legalization of pot

i am happy right now with my current situation but i am sure it will be legal soon enough and i will be happy then too.
mkiv9secsupra
10/31/08 9:06:14PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I am not for people smoking marijuana, it's bad for you. Bad for your lungs

So you have seen the medical studies where this was definitivly proven?
cmill21
10/31/08 9:43:15PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Inhaling smoke period is not good for humans, it's impossible to argue other wise. A recent Canadian study proved that it has more toxins then tabacco. The study determined that marijuana smoke contained 20 times more ammonia, and five times more hydrogen cyanide and nitrogen oxides than tobacco smoke. In contrast, a study published in the January 2008 edition of the journal Respirology found that "regular" cannabis smokers who developed bullous lung disease did so on average 24 years sooner than tobacco smoking counterparts. Cannabis use has been assessed by several studies to be correlated with the development of anxiety, psychosis and depression.

Link 1 to me being right
Link 2
And finally link 3

I have used alot, it completely changed my personality, i've watched my best friends turn into strangers and people I love more then anything become people I can no longer look at. I don't care if you think it's fine and causes less deaths then anything, it's been proven to change alot of things about people and has lasting effects on the brain. I'm also an alcoholic who comes from a long line of them so I agree that alcohol can effect you just as much as weed but I have never seen people who drink responsibly change completely as a person lol. I'll give this thread 4 more post before it turns to a flame fest.

EDIT: Glad you agreed that there are enough things in the world that kill you though.
IriShame
10/31/08 9:45:51PM
If you want to smoke weed it should be legal. If you don't want to smoke weed well, that should be legal too. Who gives a shit? Smoke, don't smoke, it's up to you. At least, that's how it should be. I'm not sure if this made sense. You see, I'm stoned.
dannyfrank
10/31/08 9:51:29PM
if alcohol is legal, mary jane should be too.

alcohol has caused people to get angry and kill people, it makes them fight, and it makes them crash cars when they're stupid enough to drink n drive.

what does weed do?

it makes you really happy and gives you the munchies. ive never heard of somebody dying from smoking marijuana or even killing someone in a car accident while smoking it.

it just seems hypocritical
cmill21
10/31/08 9:55:33PM

Posted by dannyfrank

if alcohol is legal, mary jane should be too.

alcohol has caused people to get angry and kill people, it makes them fight, and it makes them crash cars when they're stupid enough to drink n drive.

what does weed do?

it makes you really happy and gives you the munchies. ive never heard of somebody dying from smoking marijuana or even killing someone in a car accident while smoking it.

it just seems hypocritical

Your joking if you think it's ok to drive under the influence of anything that effects you like weed does. People on tylenol with condine aren't supposed to drive and you think that people can drive high?
mkiv9secsupra
10/31/08 10:01:37PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Inhaling smoke period is not good for humans, it's impossible to argue other wise. A recent Canadian study proved that it has more toxins then tabacco. The study determined that marijuana smoke contained 20 times more ammonia, and five times more hydrogen cyanide and nitrogen oxides than tobacco smoke. In contrast, a study published in the January 2008 edition of the journal Respirology found that "regular" cannabis smokers who developed bullous lung disease did so on average 24 years sooner than tobacco smoking counterparts. Cannabis use has been assessed by several studies to be correlated with the development of anxiety, psychosis and depression.

Link 1 to me being right
Link 2
And finally link 3

I have used alot, it completely changed my personality, i've watched my best friends turn into strangers and people I love more then anything become people I can no longer look at. I don't care if you think it's fine and causes less deaths then anything, it's been proven to change alot of things about people and has lasting effects on the brain. I'm also an alcoholic who comes from a long line of them so I agree that alcohol can effect you just as much as weed but I have never seen people who drink responsibly change completely as a person lol. I'll give this thread 4 more post before it turns to a flame fest.

EDIT: Glad you agreed that there are enough things in the world that kill you though.

Let me rephrase then. Can you find a case where an individual has been directly killed from marijuana?

So even tho it has minor effects it should be illegal? Should drinking, which has been linked to more health problems, be illegal too?

I could find massive amounts of articles on how being overweight is more unhealthy. So should the government regulate how much and what types of food that people should eat?

You are an individual. Its effects on you may differ from another by far. A mass study would be the only way to determine its effects on personalities of many people. And again, war has major pyschological effects and is dangerous to health. Do you think we should ban war? There are many things that fit these two very broad distinguishments yet none are banned.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/31/08 10:05:24PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

There are none. Im all for legalization and taxation. I Own a volcano vaporizer. I vaporize about half a gram one day a week or one day every 2 weeks . Marijuana is far safer then alcohol , caffeine, cigarettes , perscription pills. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never tried marijuana before and most likely been fed bullsh1t propaganda past down from generation to generation. So many misconceptions are based off one experiment in the 70's where they locked monkeys in a sealed room with cannabis smoke. Today this study has been proven to be completely false . Marijuana would make many pharmacuetical companys go out of business , which is the main reason it remains illegal . The textiles industry , alcohol industry , fuel industry would all lose billions of dollars if cannabis were legalized . Man i could debate this forever so im going to stop rambling .

BC BUD FTW!
Naturaldisaster
10/31/08 10:06:00PM
No i dont think it should be legal. I've never done any kind of drug, and Never will. I think it should stay illegal.
cmill21
10/31/08 10:15:06PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Let me rephrase then. Can you find a case where an individual has been directly killed from marijuana?

So even tho it has minor effects it should be illegal? Should drinking, which has been linked to more health problems, be illegal too?

I could find massive amounts of articles on how being overweight is more unhealthy. So should the government regulate how much and what types of food that people should eat?

You are an individual. Its effects on you may differ from another by far. A mass study would be the only way to determine its effects on personalities of many people. And again, war has major pyschological effects and is dangerous to health. Do you think we should ban war? There are many things that fit these two very broad distinguishments yet none are banned.

EDIT: AS what the hell are you talking about? lol you sound like a rediculous consiracy theorist.

Read the last link of my post, it has been proven in a large study. If there was no war in the world I think the majority of people would be far happier lol, so yeah if there was a way to ban in then I would go for it(coming from someone who's served his country). Also if obesity could be regulated then yes I think alot more people would be happy. The world you want appears to be a eutopia lol, so instead of adding more things that contribute to people going the other way maybe we should take your advice and figure out how to remove the things that contribute to the world being like it is. lol
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/31/08 10:17:14PM
cmill you stated your an alcoholic right . Do you think alcohol should be illegal ?
cmill21
10/31/08 10:19:23PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

cmill you stated your an alcoholic right . Do you think alcohol should be illegal ?

Yep. It ruins lives and damages the body, why should people be allowed to use it? The reason it's legal is so we don't have more of what happend in the 20's.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/31/08 10:28:52PM

Posted by cmill21

Yep. It ruins lives and damages the body, why should people be allowed to use it? The reason it's legal is so we don't have more of what happend in the 20's.

Isn't prohibition failing in the 20's a perfect example of what is happening today with marijuana?

cmill21
10/31/08 10:37:44PM

Posted by cmill21

Isn't prohibition failing in the 20's a perfect example of what is happening today with marijuana?

I don't really think so, but I wasn't around in the 20's. I really don't think there's big support for it to be legalized, it's mostly just pot smoking kids and confused 20 something year olds. I know very few older people who use it, most realize it's not a smart thing to be using when they have kids and see what it does. I realized how dumb it was when all my friends were high and I was sober, sitting there watching how stupid they all looked and sounded was enough for me.
mentalcase
10/31/08 10:38:00PM
Joe Rogan - Cure for Life

^^ listen to rogan this dude knows what hes talking about

Joe Rogan Solves the War with Pot
watch this funny^^

Absolute should be legalized, its a ****ing joke how the government can take our civil liberties away by banning a substance that we chose to put in to our body let alone something that grow from the ground naturally especially when alcohol caffeine tobacco and other harmful substances are legal

I think all drugs should be legal and only policed for children under 18 years of age and the parents responsibility to not allow there kids to abuse them self’s with drugs when under age, until you grow up and can make decisions for your self

When you criminalize an act of witch is not criminal in nature (smoking pot) then all your doing is creating a whole bunch of criminals. There will always be demand so there will always be a supplier and since its illegal it encourages other illegal acts that happens in the drug underworld this would be avoided if it was legal and fairly regulated be a responsible government but you can forget about that, it will never happen

and watch this not directly about drugs but you learn something

george carlin nails it

This world is world went down the shiter a long time ago, human race is over

"don’t do drugs, don’t do this, don’t do that, don’t think freely, just get job get a degree be a good slave buy all this meaningless consumer driven crap drink your Coffey go to work be a good slave don’t think freely"

BTW i don’t smoke pot or do any drug anymore im 22 now I did when I was younger, so im not pro drugs cause i want them to be legal so I can access them easer, im pro drugs cause i believe every one should have the right to do what they want to as long as you don’t hurt anyone else (with in reason)and im just angry how our civil liberty can be taken away like this and no one can really do anything

Pitbull09
10/31/08 10:42:53PM
We already have enough deaths from cigarettes and drinking, lets keep it there. Legal weed wouldn't do the country any good, I dont care how much money they would make.
cmill21
10/31/08 10:46:06PM
For the people who say it grows from the ground naturally, well yeah it does, but so does heroine(poppy plants), Cocain(Coca plant), Mescaline(peyote). Not all things the earth produces are good for us lol. I also think tabacco should be illegal(I'm an avid cigar smoker and I chew tabacco).
Pitbull09
10/31/08 10:51:42PM

Posted by mentalcase

BTW i don’t smoke pot or do any drug anymore im 22 now I did when I was younger, so im not pro drugs cause i want them to be legal so I can access them easer, im pro drugs cause i believe every one should have the right to do what they want to as long as you don’t hurt anyone else (with in reason)and im just angry how our civil liberty can be taken away like this and no one can really do anything

You say that legalizing it wouldnt affect anyone else but it would. I can see what you mean by civil liberties and how that is suppose to justify allowing people doign anything they want but when you factor in welfare and eventually how my tax dollars would end up being wasted for a bunch of potheads who are to lazy to work because they want to explore their "civil liberties."

Cut off wellfar and that will be the ultimate freedom to our country. We will be free to work and prosper to our goals or starve instead of doing well off of other successes.
Also, this wasnt ment to say everyone of welfare shouldnt be using it. It is to say that because of systems like welfare, I dont think the idea of legal weed would help my civil liberties of making money and not having to give more up to people who dont deserve it.
mentalcase
10/31/08 10:57:19PM

Posted by cmill21

For the people who say it grows from the ground naturally, well yeah it does, but so does heroine(poppy plants), Cocain(Coca plant), Mescaline(peyote). Not all things the earth produces are good for us lol. I also think tabacco should be illegal(I'm an avid cigar smoker and I chew tabacco).

Im sorry did you read what i wrote did u miss something??

i said it grows naturally but im in favor of every one having the write to harm them selfs i didn’t say coke heroine and all this other crap is good for you but you should have the write to do what YOU want to YOUR self

junk food and all the other harmful stuff that is advertised on tv is allowed should we make that illegal too should we just criminalize everything that is harmful to ones self, what kind of logic is that

yes people kill them self’s with drug but people kill them self’s with every thing someone will always find a way to hurt and kill them self’s with anything and every thing and i don’t care it human nature

stupid people are supposed to die
cmill21
10/31/08 11:12:51PM
Lol so you think everyone should have the right to harm themselves? Thats an awsome way to look at it. Civil liberties are fine, but laws have to be there lol.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4