Gouveia calling For Title Shot: ''Would Fight Anderson Tomorrow''

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Gouveia calling For Title Shot: ''Would Fight Anderson Tomorrow''
MMAcca
12/16/08 2:24:33AM
Wilson Gouveia (12-5) is already calling for a shot at the middleweight title, despite having fought just one bout in the division after dropping down from light-heavyweight.

Gouveia defeated Jason Macdonald by armbar at The Ultimate Fighter Season 8 Finale on Saturday night.

Speaking to Fighters Only yesterday, he said: “I feel that I am ready to go, I am ready to fight against the best in the weight class.

“I think at middleweight I can be a champion, I really want to be a champ. And I’m ready to go, I can fight Anderson Silva tomorrow if they let me.”

LINK
ChokeUout
12/16/08 2:33:47AM
First off, McDonald tapped out to strikes, not an Armbar...

Second, He needs to win 3 more fights at MW to be a contender...

And Finally, he has a big set of marbles if he's calling for a title shot after missing weight by 4 pounds..

Pure and Simple
Shawn91111
12/16/08 2:43:27AM

Posted by ChokeUout

First off, McDonald tapped out to strikes, not an Armbar...

Second, He needs to win 3 more fights at MW to be a contender...

And Finally, he has a big set of marbles if he's calling for a title shot after missing weight by 4 pounds..

Pure and Simple

Its that big set of marbles that made him 4lbs heavier. He needs to see a Dr. asap.
Aether
12/16/08 3:08:39AM
yeah wow give me a break man. I liked Wilson quite a bit up until now, missing weight by so much and then calling for a title shot after beating a gatekeeper... not to mention Anderson would take his head off. I think he's just trying to capitalize on the situation at middleweight due to the lack of contenders.

I'd give Hendo 3 more shots before I'd give Wilson 1. =\
Near07
12/16/08 3:19:37AM
He did impress me, I thought he was going to lose....but I agree with everyone else he need sto worry about making weight and have a few more fights before Anderson! if Anderson does plan to retire soon, I would much rather see him fight other opponents!!
cowcatcher
12/16/08 8:18:28AM
well im just happy that more guys seem to be willing to get in there with anderson and are letting it be known. sure its absurd to say after one win at mw, and missing weight at that, but gouveia is one of VERY few people on the planet that i would give more than 1% chance of beating silva. great leg kicks, KO power, very good BJJ, the guy is a force when his head is on right and hes "into" fighting rather than just going through the motions.
Jackelope
12/16/08 8:30:57AM
I love the playground. Anything I needed to say was already said in this thread, and that's why I love it.

All I'd say to Wilson is, "Try making weight first"
TheNatural915
12/16/08 8:44:14AM
Is he high. Gouveia lost to Goran Reljc. Silva would win about 30 seconds into the fight
ohiostate1016
12/16/08 9:02:10AM
I like Gouveia, but he doesn't have any name wins (even at LHW).

His next fight won't be against Anderson, but he'll probably lose it anyway.
cowcatcher
12/16/08 9:12:03AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I like Gouveia, but he doesn't have any name wins (even at LHW).

His next fight won't be against Anderson, but he'll probably lose it anyway.

beating jon fitch or jason lambert(who was on the upswing at the time) arent big wins?

also, beating macdonald is no easy task, only okami, franklin, and maia had done it in the ufc so far, and guys like horwich, cote, and eastman beat him outside the octagon so its not like macdonald is some scrub, he is tough as nails and gouveia destroyed him.
higdon10
12/16/08 9:30:40AM
4u2nv
12/16/08 9:52:32AM
wow he didnt even make weight. he's a new comer into the MW division. He needs to fight at least 2 more bigger named people before anything or else u'll see another andy vs cote where andy is bored and dancing around again.
NE-1
12/16/08 9:56:16AM
Sounds to me like Gouveia was pretty confident after his win. That's pretty much what he said. Everyone on here is going through his words with a fine tooth comb and completely misinterpreting them. He didn't say he wanted a title shot tomorrow because he deserved it. He said he felt he had the ability to be a champ and wanted to be a champ. I'd fight Silva tomorrow if they let me sounds like he's confident in his abilities. Any other fighter with his experience I'm sure would fight Silva tomorrow if the UFC let them.
finnish_line
12/16/08 11:22:03AM

If he beats two of the following people back to back he should get a shot:

Almeida
Bisping
Cote
Kampmann
Marquardt
Okami
Franklin
Henderson
Leites
Maia
postman
12/16/08 11:37:42AM
Wilson is supposed to be the best ATT when he is motivated but motivation in his problem. I mean he didn't even make weight for his debute at 185 and looked to me like he could even cut to 170. If he is as good as they say he can be lets hope we start seeing it.
NE-1
12/16/08 12:27:14PM

Posted by postman

Wilson is supposed to be the best ATT when he is motivated but motivation in his problem. I mean he didn't even make weight for his debute at 185 and looked to me like he could even cut to 170. If he is as good as they say he can be lets hope we start seeing it.

Agreed. It would be interesting to see how he trains for his fights. Something I thought was interesting though was that the athletic commission didn't allow him to try to weigh in again because they said it would be too dangerous. Anyone know why? I would have liked to see if he could cut more. Maybe they figured 4lbs in 1 hr was too extreme, but i've cut weight before and it's not impossible.
Ordep
12/16/08 1:09:41PM
Wilson...

...not so fast my friend.
finnish_line
12/16/08 1:13:41PM

Posted by NE-1

Something I thought was interesting though was that the athletic commission didn't allow him to try to weigh in again because they said it would be too dangerous. Anyone know why?

Probably because he was already dehydrated. Similar to the Guida situation on TUF this season.
NE-1
12/16/08 1:23:03PM

Posted by finnish_line

Posted by NE-1

Something I thought was interesting though was that the athletic commission didn't allow him to try to weigh in again because they said it would be too dangerous. Anyone know why?

Probably because he was already dehydrated. Similar to the Guida situation on TUF this season.

Makes sense. I was thinking of the Luter situation he looked pretty torn up trying to make weight. Gouveia looked alright. Hopefuly he's learned what needs to be done.
Wolfenstein
12/16/08 1:47:49PM
It must be an ATT thing, because this is the second time an ATT fighter has missed weight (by a lot), won, and asked for a title shot. The other guy being Thiago Alves, after his victory over Matt Hughes.

Credit Wilson for wanting a shot at Silva, because there aren't many people that want that oppurtunity (if getting KO'd by Anderson can be called an oppurtunity).

Wilson is vicious, and has a ton of power, but his chin is soft. He was also battered by Goran Reljic's patented Cro-Cop roundhouse, so I can only imagine how effective Anderson's kicks would be in this matchup.

I'm still waiting to see the Wilson Gouveia that camp members tout as the best guy at ATT.
BigEvil
12/16/08 3:45:53PM

Posted by Jackelope

I love the playground. Anything I needed to say was already said in this thread, and that's why I love it.

All I'd say to Wilson is, "Try making weight first"

Gipper
12/16/08 6:07:42PM
i do think gouveia is up there with silva, hendo and franklin. the guy is an unreal mma fighter. i think he deserves a number 1 contender fight.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/16/08 6:25:29PM
and would also lose tomorrow
bls1919
12/16/08 7:19:33PM
Gouveia needs a few more fights with top guys at 185 before he gets his shot. I am not convinced he will beat up Franklin, Hendo, Okami, let alone Silva. i think a Good fight for him would be Matt Hammil. maybe Bisping
motorboatensob
12/16/08 8:08:45PM
He also said the same thing when he was at 205 calling out Liddell then he got knocked out. Now he is at MW wanting to fight the champ long before he has proved any thing.
Sir_Karl
1/14/09 8:17:06PM
Wilson is one of my top 5 favorites....but he needs a couple more wins before he should be fighting Silva.
basbylivershot
1/14/09 9:57:38PM
I agree that Wilson doesn;t deserve the fight at the moment, but who wouldn;t rather see this one than Silva-Leites