goose to the hall

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » goose to the hall
cowcatcher
1/9/08 2:20:26AM
so rich "goose" gossage was the lone member inducted into baseball hall of fame today, its been coming for awhile, but its too bad others like jim rice(who was close) and andre dawson didnt make it this year. an interesting side note, mark mcgwire got exactly the same amount of votes as last year, 128, and there was one less voter. this basically tells me he, barry bonds, rafi palmeiro, roger clemens and a few other notables probably wont get in unless a major change is made in the attitudes of voters(members of the hall and media) lighten on steroids, well i guess youve got company charlie hustle(god i hope some of you are old enough, or big enough fans to know who that is).
stock
1/9/08 7:43:20AM

Posted by cowcatcher

so rich "goose" gossage was the lone member inducted into baseball hall of fame today, its been coming for awhile, but its too bad others like jim rice(who was close) and andre dawson didnt make it this year. an interesting side note, mark mcgwire got exactly the same amount of votes as last year, 128, and there was one less voter. this basically tells me he, barry bonds, rafi palmeiro, roger clemens and a few other notables probably wont get in unless a major change is made in the attitudes of voters(members of the hall and media) lighten on steroids, well i guess youve got company charlie hustle(god i hope some of you are old enough, or big enough fans to know who that is).

All bogus IMO.

Blyleven gets screwed again. I have read good arguments for him being a top 10 pitcher of all time.

MacGwire gets screwed again. He has never failed a drug test. He retired as the best home run hitter ever, having the highest HR/AB ratio ever. He retired with almost 600 career home runs in half the at bats of Hank Aaron.

The Hawk and Jimmy Rice are close calls, but probably not "Hall" worthy.
DCRage
1/9/08 9:12:41AM
Clemens has basically screwed himself out with the comments he made at the press conference the other day. He was like "I don't give a *bleep* about the Hall" and the like. So now the only reason he might not get in is himself.
cowcatcher
1/9/08 10:13:48AM
blyleven definately has the credentials except for the one that is an automatic in to the hall, 300 wins(i think he has 287). i know he has over 3500 Ks and an ERA under 3 and a half so IMO he should have been there already, but i think some of his off the cuff comments over the years, and the fact that he only went to a couple of all star games hurt him.
mcgwire is a different beast though, when brought in front of congress to talk about past steroid use he said he wasnt there to talk about the past, BUT THAT WAS THE POINT OF HIM GOING THERE! someone gave him some bad info on what to say there and in the era of global media youre now guilty until proven innocent, i dont agree with it but thats the way it is. had he come out and said he used and was sorry or even just talked about creatine which he had admitted to doing before, he would have gotten a lot more public sympathy.
clemens is an idiot, plain and simple. he holds a press conference to play a taped conversation where he never accuses his former trainer of lying, or even says outright that he never did them, meanwhile his trainer keeps asking what he wants him to do and says he'll go to jail for him a la barry bonds trainer that refused to testify and went to jail because of it, but will be a very wealthy man upon his release thanks to a bonds payoff. all he did was further incriminate himself and dig a deeper hole for when he finally has to come out and admit to using roids. the guy is a dope, and so is his lawyer, i could have given him better advice than to hold a press conference that basically buried him further.
hippysmacker
1/11/08 3:56:29AM
Personally I would put in Blyleven, Morris, Trammel,Santo, Rice, Dawson, and Raines. At least from the guys I know that aren't in it off the top of my head . I think Rice and Dawson will get in next year, but I don't know about the rest.