Good Refereeing?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Good Refereeing?
gartface
3/22/10 1:26:41PM
Am I mistaken, or did I see some really good officiating last night? Josh Rosenthal especially. To recognize that Sakara landed a punch and not an eye poke was crucial. And I normally don't praise Herb Dean, but his decisions in the Buentello and Kongo fight were quite good.

The only problem I saw, though it's splitting hairs, was the stoppage in the Howard and Roberts fight. It was late, but the ref wasn't at the best vantage point and wasn't very close to the fighters.

Here's to more well officiated fights in the near future, the UFC will need it in the next few weeks.
Jackelope
3/22/10 1:39:45PM
I thought Rogan calling out the ref (Whom I believe was Josh Rosenthal) in the Howard fight was a little uncalled for. Howard was throwing punches awfully fast, it wasn't exactly a situation in which you would expect a KO like that, and he still got there relatively quick.

Seriously, how can you expect a man who is not a professional athlete to recognize the ko, react to the ko, and move his entire body in the way of coming punches much faster than the ref did? I thought he did a fine job considering I could probably throw 3 punches in half a second let alone someone like Howard.

But yeah, I liked the refereeing last night. Did anybody ever get a consensus on what happened with the Buentello finger situation?
emfleek
3/22/10 1:41:30PM
Agreed. My girlfriend even commented on it and she doesn't even have a firm grasp on the rules of the sport. She really only likes saying the names of the refs.
emfleek
3/22/10 1:42:35PM

Posted by Jackelope

But yeah, I liked the refereeing last night. Did anybody ever get a consensus on what happened with the Buentello finger situation?

I thought it was dislocated and the ringside doctor popped it back in. Herb Dean asked the doctor about it and he said "I popped it back".

Boo_Radley21
3/22/10 1:49:58PM
I also thought the refs were on the ball.

The finger must have dislocated, what else could it have been?
grappler0000
3/22/10 1:51:19PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

I thought it was dislocated and the ringside doctor popped it back in. Herb Dean asked the doctor about it and he said "I popped it back".

I thought Herb did a good job, but I am a little critical of the finger situation. I don't believe that was a good reason to stop the action...either you can continue to fight or you can't. At the time, I was forgiving though, because I would've hated for another fight to get stopped in such bizarre fashion. It was an odd scenario and it didn't change the pace of the fight, so I guess I'll look the other way this time. I do think Herb is one of the better refs in high pressure situations normally though.
gartface
3/22/10 1:51:48PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

That's what I figured. At first I thought maybe his finger slipped inside the glove and was stuck.
Jackelope
3/22/10 1:57:50PM

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

That's what I figured. At first I thought maybe his finger slipped inside the glove and was stuck.

Same here. But we all know if it truly was a dislocated finger that Herb blatantly broke the rules here. If Buentello was actually injured and unable to fight because of the injury (which did not come as the result of a foul) then it should be scored a TKO via injury. Hell, if it shouldn't then I guess we can allow the doctors to step into the Octagon to put in some stitches when a fighter gets a cut.

Obviously I didn't mind because I got to see the fight go on. Still, though- that's something I figure would have stopped the fight via TKO (Injury)
gartface
3/22/10 2:10:08PM

Posted by Jackelope

Same here. But we all know if it truly was a dislocated finger that Herb blatantly broke the rules here. If Buentello was actually injured and unable to fight because of the injury (which did not come as the result of a foul) then it should be scored a TKO via injury. Hell, if it shouldn't then I guess we can allow the doctors to step into the Octagon to put in some stitches when a fighter gets a cut.

Obviously I didn't mind because I got to see the fight go on. Still, though- that's something I figure would have stopped the fight via TKO (Injury)

I feel the exact same way. From a fan standpoint I'm glad that the fight continued, because Buentello was so amped and ready to fight. I would have felt terrible for him if a dislocated pinkie lost him the fight.

But it really is a slippery slope. I was just watching the Maeda and Escovedo fight, and I didn't see an eyepoke and the ref let Maeda recover because he was blinking fast and covering his eye.
jae_1833
3/22/10 10:10:07PM
Best Ref-ing jobs I have seen since Big John....(wipes tear)
juggernautakira
3/23/10 10:40:04AM
I never understood the hard ons for Big John...

I was pleased with the refs as well. The girl I watched it with didnt understand why Gonzaga and.....umm, the guy Howard KOd were continually pounded upon. I explained that the ref has to call it and as I explained the latter, I, once again, would rather see late stoppages than early stoppages.
tmas
3/24/10 6:48:20AM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

Obviously I didn't mind because I got to see the fight go on. Still, though- that's something I figure would have stopped the fight via TKO (Injury) [/QUOTE

---------------------------------------------------
Actually this is the same as a cut, the rule states if a fighter cant continue, so you stop the action, have the doctor take a look (if a cut wipe it if needed) and then the doctor says he can or cant continue, in this case the doctor said HE CAN CONTINUE IF i can pop it back into . if you look back Herb was telling them he needed a decision now, because like with a cut your suppose to look wipe, and say he can or cant continue, this was a great piece of refing the whole card minus the slightly late stop in howard's fight was amazing. i was thinking it watching the fights i was like awesome job for the fights by refs
jiujitsufreak74
3/24/10 9:40:08AM

Posted by tmas

Actually this is the same as a cut, the rule states if a fighter cant continue, so you stop the action, have the doctor take a look (if a cut wipe it if needed) and then the doctor says he can or cant continue, in this case the doctor said HE CAN CONTINUE IF i can pop it back into . if you look back Herb was telling them he needed a decision now, because like with a cut your suppose to look wipe, and say he can or cant continue, this was a great piece of refing the whole card minus the slightly late stop in howard's fight was amazing. i was thinking it watching the fights i was like awesome job for the fights by refs

the Commission actually stated that Herb, and everyone involved, made a mistake and that the fight should have been ruled a TKO. Dana also mentioned that it was mishandled in an interview.

Wittman said the cageside doctor at the 1STBANK Center in Broomfield, Colo., violated the state's MMA rules when he worked on Buentello's hand. "The rules are (that) the fighter is allowed to put it back into place himself," Wittman said. "If he can't put it in and he can't continue, the fight is over. The doctor just kind of stepped in; I don't think the doctor understood the rules. We went over it with the commission in the back room. It was totally not the correct thing to do."
-Trevor Wittman

"If he couldn't continue right there, you can't come in [and call timeout]," said White, who thought Buentello broke the finger. "It actually appeared to be a dislocation. Dean paused the fight because he thought there was an equipment malfunction with the glove. He was wrong. If Buentello had a dislocated finger and needed medical care, the fight should've been given to Kongo with a TKO victory."
-Dana